Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mira Elite QT Shower

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

Still, decent enough out of them to replace FOC, since they suspected limescale, maybe they took the top off the can and had a peep inside and found none.

Also one would think that with one element gone, then because there was heat with hi or ECO selected that it it would have required the same temperature control setting for both but it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cc345

Hi looking for some advice my mira elite qt suddenly stopped while having a shower the motor seems fine and tried taking out filter and letting water flow for a few mins from the tank but all seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and would it be worth getting fixed it's a 5 year old thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cc345 wrote:
    Hi looking for some advice my mira elite qt suddenly stopped while having a shower the motor seems fine and tried taking out filter and letting water flow for a few mins from the tank but all seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and would it be worth getting fixed it's a 5 year old thanks

Most likely a faulty solenoid coil. If it's faulty it will not open the solenoid valve to let water through

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Something has just happened mine. Water leaking - think it's from the black pipe in the second photo - is that the solenoid valve?
    Power is off at the pull cord. Can't turn the water off without turning off most of upstairs water.

Is it easily fixable?
    Is it a DIY job (I'd be fairly handy)?
    Where would I get the part(s)?

Edit: looking online it seems to be the on/off switching assembly (1788.429) - would that be right?

attachment.php?attachmentid=542020&stc=1&d=1612442296

attachment.php?attachmentid=542022&stc=1&d=1612442424

It's the pump elbow that needs replacing. This part leaking is one of the many known issues with this model

Edit: this is the part you need

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/mira-elite-qt-pump-elbow/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gerkildare

I've just spent a relaxing evening [!!] reading thru' this thread AND had the S***er D****rs out :eek: [may as well have got the Saw Doctors for all the good it did :D]
    I have a banjaxed Mira Elite ST 9.8kW - can I replace it with a Triton T90SR 9.0kW?
    If I've read correctly here [I'm not really a plumbing-type of guy, but give me a diagram and I can 'get' most things!!]] - the Power/Plumbing switch over should be reasonably easy - that right?
    THANKS ;)

Power & plumbing are in the exact same place. You need a few inches of free space to the right of your mira to accommodate the triton. Only other issue that can cause problems is if old mira isn't tiled behind. We find that about 95 percent of mira elite showers can be replaced with the triton t90sr silent without much difficulty.

As for your doctor friends, I absolutely hate having to deal with them.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Power & plumbing are in the exact same place. You need a few inches of free space to the right of your mira to accommodate the triton. Only other issue that can cause problems is if old mira isn't tiled behind. We find that about 95 percent of mira elite showers can be replaced with the triton t90sr silent without much difficulty.

As for your doctor friends, I absolutely hate having to deal with them.

Thanks for your reply S12 - I'm definitely going to go for the Triton!
    ;) G

Our Mira Elite QT is dripping again so we've decided to replace it. I haven't opened it to see what has gone (will do so later) but unless its something loose (which I doubt), it will be removed and swapped with a something else.
    From what I gather the recommended replacement suggested on here is the Triton T90SR - am I correct?
    This looks to be more of a horizontal shape then the vertical shape of the Mira. From what I gather, our Mira is tiled behind it (see images 5 posts up). I presume that this is better.

Am I correct in thinking that the T90 SR is different from the T90 SR Satin?
    I've looked but can't see what the difference between the two are (apart from the Satin being more expensive) - is there one?

• Advertisement

Our Mira Elite QT is dripping again so we've decided to replace it. I haven't opened it to see what has gone (will do so later) but unless its something loose (which I doubt), it will be removed and swapped with a something else.
    From what I gather the recommended replacement suggested on here is the Triton T90SR - am I correct?
    This looks to be more of a horizontal shape then the vertical shape of the Mira. From what I gather, our Mira is tiled behind it (see images 5 posts up). I presume that this is better.

Am I correct in thinking that the T90 SR is different from the T90 SR Satin?
    I've looked but can't see what the difference between the two are (apart from the Satin being more expensive) - is there one?

I went for the Triton T90SR - it's a fine replacement.
    We've found it's not quite as powerful as the Mira but it's more than adequate and we're real happy to get rid of the Mira [and all the hassles that come with spares, servicing etc etc]
    For us it fitted nicely-ish where the Mira was - there's just 2 rawlplugged holes left, but that's not a major repair and certainly isn't a deal breaker!

If I was to say anything further... take Sleeper12's advice and stay well away from the doctor friends!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rew0505

Can someone recommend a place/shop where those Mira Elite QT elbows could be sourced these days.

Question for Sleeper12 or anyone with knowledge of Mira Elite qt shower: as you have been replacing so many of those faulty elite qt motor pumps, have you find out what was a problem with a motor? Usually this type of motor will see couple sets of brushes before it put in rest, is it any particular part of a motor that causes all problems? Have you ever try to recondition those motors?
    Thanks.

Question for Sleeper12 or anyone with knowledge of Mira Elite qt shower: as you have been replacing so many of those faulty elite qt motor pumps, have you find out what was a problem with a motor? Usually this type of motor will see couple sets of brushes before it put in rest, is it any particular part of a motor that causes all problems? Have you ever try to recondition those motors?
    Thanks.

Rew0505 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Judging by the screaming of the motors I'd guess it's the bearings that fail. Problem is we had this issue with brand new QT showers out of the box. I don't recondition motors.

We actually replaced very few of these motors. New motor is over 200 euro supplied & fitted. New shower is 335 supplied & fitted. Rule of thumb: if repairs cost more than half the cost of replacing the appliance then new shower is the better option. This applies even to a two year old shower just out of warranty. With this in mind we replaced hundreds of Mira Elite QT showers in the last five years or so but no more than five or six motors.

On the QT shower I suggest if repair is more than 100 then it's best to replace the whole shower with a triton T90SR

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on our one: called the guy who fixed it six weeks ago and he came around yesterday. He replaced our QT with a new SE and gave us a two year warranty. Happy for another while.

Just a quick update on our one: called the guy who fixed it six weeks ago and he came around yesterday. He replaced our QT with a new SR and gave us a two year warranty. Happy for another while.

When I read this first I thought this guy replaced the shower free of charge. Reading it again I think I was mistaken. The warranty will be with Triton rather than the installer but Triton are good with their warranty.
    Hopefully you will get many years trouble free with this shower

Sorry its a Mira Elite SE, not SR. My bad.
    It was replaced free of charge

Sorry its a Mira Elite SE, not SR. My bad. It was replaced free of charge

Fair play to the installer so. Most would just walk away & tell you it's Miras problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

I need to get a new Hose and Clamp bracket for my Mira Elite QT.
    Does anyone know if spurious parts are available at a reasonable cost?

Cost of original parts is €40 plus shipping - was hoping to spend around half of that or am I deluded?

• Advertisement

glog wrote: »

Cost of original parts is €40 plus shipping - was hoping to spend around half of that or am I deluded?

Pm me I might be able to help.

glog wrote: »

Don't buy another plastic Mira shower hose. You now see it's cheap cack. You will get a Triton Chrome shower head from your local woodies for around 15 euro. The shower head holder you are stuck with another Mira one with it's cheap brittle plastic or replace the whole pole. Buying a Mira head holder is cheaper in the short run but as you will most likely need to replace the whole shower in the near future then I'd only be thinking short term with repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rhallahan

I have the "classic" leaking elbow problem and have replaced with a part from dublin showers. Their part seemed ok but my new issue is that the is a leak between the pump and the filter housing. It's much less worse than the leak that I was trying to fix but far from ideal.
    The dublin showers elbow came with a new O ring for the connection that's leaking but since disturbing the original ring, now it leaks with either.
    Is this a common side effect of going near the pump and are there any recommendations? (I'll stay away from Mira next time it breaks but this does seem like a minor issue so best to fix the QT).

Thanks,
    Reg

rhallahan wrote: »
    I have the "classic" leaking elbow problem and have replaced with a part from dublin showers. Their part seemed ok but my new issue is that the is a leak between the pump and the filter housing. It's much less worse than the leak that I was trying to fix but far from ideal.
    The dublin showers elbow came with a new O ring for the connection that's leaking but since disturbing the original ring, now it leaks with either.
    Is this a common side effect of going near the pump and are there any recommendations? (I'll stay away from Mira next time it breaks but this does seem like a minor issue so best to fix the QT).

Thanks,
    Reg

If it's leaking where the pump goes into the filter housing then the pump isn't sitting correctly in the filter housing. Either that or the 0 ring attached to the pump is damaged while replacing the pump elbow. I would take out the pump & inspect the 0 ring attached the the pump. Make sure it's not pinched. Try install it again. Unfortunately this 0 ring is part of the pump & not sold separately

If it's leaking where the pump goes into the pump elbow then it's not sitting correctly in the elbow or the clip isn't tight enough. Clip will break if too tight.

Can you post a photo or video?

The motor isn't sitting correctly or the 0 ring on the motor is damaged. All I can suggest is removing the pump & try reseat it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rhallahan

Thanks sleeper12, is it OK to remove and insert the pump without removing the filter housing as it involves going in at an angle and I suspect this might be why it then doesn't sit right. Was just being lazy avoiding switching off the water so didn't really give the filter housing any play.
    Cheers

If you remove the filter, it stops water flowing through the shower. It's a way of stopping the water without crawling through the attic.

I'm not sure if you will be able to move the pump out of the filter housing without removing the pump elbow. No harm trying. There is a black rubber fitting on the top of the motor. Remove this if you haven't already done so. This is the last part to go back in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Hi, grateful for any help.

Basically came home to a constant stream of water coming out of the bottom of a Mira QT shower - its barely been used in the last 2 years, I think it was installed just over two years ago, I'm not sure I have a receipt.

I took the front off and it appears the white clip on the elbow has broken, in hindsight there was always a drip off the shower so it must have always been leaking.

Is there anywhere I can get the clip to replace it? Would something like a cable tie work.

Based on the comments in the thread, I'm really annoyed this product was realised (and that the plumber installed it).

Thanks.

If we were repairing this we'd replace the elbow & clips. They are on the mark 3 of this part believe it or not & they seem to have eventually gotten it right now

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/mira-elite-qt-pump-elbow/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

looking for a little help diagnosing the issue with my Elite QT,

No Water flow over the weekend, had happened temporarily earlier in the week but flow came after a delay,

When I turn on shower now, green light on unit goes off, as well as the red light on the pullcord.

I explained this to Mira via email and they advised an electrician needs to look at it, but id like another opinion after reading through this forum, incase they are fobbing me off,

Shower is only around two years old max

Is the the ELCB (fuseboard) switch tripping causing the red light to go off or does the red light come back on when you turn off the shower?

Sounds like a faulty pull cord switch or faulty RCBO. RCBO can fail in the on position so being up just means the fuse is up. It doesn't mean it's passing 230volts. Same with pull cord switch. Light on just means it's getting a volt. Doesn't mean it's getting 230 v

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eddieb88

No tripped switch, and light comes back on when I turn off shower

I’ll get the pull cord replaced so and see, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 WMB7575

Hi, Loooking for some advice.

I have a Mira QT which started making noise last week. Took off the cover and it looks like the attached images. Is it worth changing the brushes or is the motor gone. Do they always look loke this on the inside.

Thanks

The black you see is carbon from the motor. Its perfectly normal.

When brushes wear away the motor gets quieter and quieter. It eventually stops running. A motor getting louder is the bearings failing. A replacement motor is around €140 /€150 Inc postage. A new shower is around €250 to buy. You are far better off getting the new shower. The Triton T90sr silent shower is still far better than the current mira elite se. That's the one to go for

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NicB765

Hi everyone.

Hope someone can help me,

My shower starting making a weird noise so I took out the filter to clean it (without isolating the electrical supply!!)

Put it back in place and now shower won't run and making stranger noises..

I have no clue about any of this stuff, Can anyone tell me did I completely mess it up by not turning off the electrical supply?

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NicB765

Mira elite qt

Searched back through the thread and found your help with same issue.. Although there is obviously an issue in the first place as to why its screaming

• Advertisement

The biggest issue with this model when it came out first was faulty screaming motors. One in ten, straight out of the box, had dodgy motors. I've seen clients go through three motors during the warranty period alone. It seems like your motor is shot. Removing the filter most likely didn't damage the solenoid unless the shower was running while you had the filter out. Either way it seems the you now have a faulty motor & solenoid. Time to get a new shower. The Mira Elite QT & The newer Mira Elite SE are just a terrible build. Cheaply made with cheap plastic & not even a chrome hose. A cheap plastic hose. If possible I'd replace it with a Triton T90SR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 WMB7575

Changing to the Triton T90SR is my plan €239 in local hardware

thanks 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The Great Gonzo

OK Folks

After reading all of this thread I am now convinced I should not get a Mira Elite QT.

So, the recommended replacement seems to be Triton T90SR or T900PI.

I do have one reservation about it so I’ll explain.

Around 2011 we had our main bathroom completely tiled and a Mira Elite ST fitted.

It was the 9.8KW @ 240V model which, I think, works out at 9.0KW @ 230V

The first thing that happened was the users complained that the flow rate at a particular temperature was not good.

The shower is only a few feet away from the tank, maybe 2 metres of pipe on a single direct feed off the tank and had a brand new 10 sq mm cable.

My plumber\electrician told me you should get nearly 5 degrees per KW, which would give us nearly 45 degrees increase in temperature but couldn’t tell me what flow rate you would get at that temperature though I don’t think anyone would want the shower that hot considering the tank water was probably between 5-8 degrees.

Anyway, we persevered with it until it screamed itself to death about a month after the warranty expired on a Friday afternoon when we were having visitors for the weekend. A quick trip to Chadwicks got a replacement Mira Elite ST but this time I got the 10.8 KW @240V model which is 9.9 KW @ 230V.

This gave me an extra KW of heat assuming we don’t take into account the power used by the pump.

This replacement is now finally screaming itself to death, probably the bearings, but has given nearly 9 years’ service and was complemented by the users as having a better flowrate at the particular temperature they liked.

So, I’m leaning towards the Triton T90SR and I’m not particularly worried about it being landscape as opposed to portrait, old screw holes can after all be filled in. But it does appear to be an incredibly quiet shower unit and some of you on this forum have fitted many of them and seem to recommend them highly.

My concern is will dropping back to 9KW from the 9.9KW @ 230V Mira ST cause me untold grief from the users complaining about bad flow rates at a particular temperature?

Now don’t get me wrong about Mira…we had a Mira 8.4 Supreme, mains water fed, when we moved into the house first and got nearly 20 years’ service and only replaced a pressure switch in that time. The damn thing was still working when we took it out to put in the tank fed one.

So, Mira did make some good shower units.

Any advice or comments are welcome.     

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭John.G

A 9kw shower assuming present mains temp of 8C and a required showering temp of 40C, will give a flow rate of 9*860/60/(40-8), 4.03LPM. A 9.9 kw shower will give 9.9*860/60/(40-8), 4.43 LPM or 10% greater flow.

You can do your own calcs/tests from the above, as you can see the calc....LPM = The shower power in KWX860/60/(flow temp - the mains temp) or any variation of this.

Its a pretty foolproof method if you have any doubts about your installation, all you need is a household thermometer, a bucket, a 1 litre milk bottle and the stop watch on your phone.

Try that now on your present shower and you will get a good feel for any problems unrelated to the shower, one of the main culprits can be low voltage, for one reason or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Stuck a t90sr in my place today , few design quirks I thought

I've a lot of experience on Mira's much easier install I thought.

Don't particularly like the screws making contact with the metal riser rail but maybe it's nothing

Online manual give me a break

On current mira Elite SE showers it's even worse. The shower pole slides into plastic. Plastic grips the pole via one screw. This puts strain on the plastic causing it to crack and break. Hose is no longer chrome. It's a €35 plastic hose that most people need to replace after a year.

I should point out that easier to install is only important at the time of installation. Quality of the shower build is important every day for the lifespan of the shower. At least you picked the better of the two showers even if you found it more difficult to install

• Advertisement

First time installation so yes I did find the whole thing laborious esp. following an online manual .

I did like the commissioning process on the Triton although long-winded following it online

Some of the wiring seemed ropey though

Main cables protruding on top , shortish wire on neon

I'm also used to the simplicity of the acorn dropping straight into the shower without the complication of a right angle but hey I'm not a plumber

My issue with the metal riser rail is if the screw inadvertently catches the cable the rail could potentially become live

A lot of installers plumbers etc wouldn't be wise to this hazard

A lot of sparks would know to test the rail if needed ,simple job with an ir tester

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Cable & cold water feed straight down in an exact position or go up in a straight position to the left of the shower. The reason it's exact is to avoid the possibility of drilling into the pipe or cable when pinning the shower to the wall. The cable & pipe shouldn't go hororizontal, diagonally or any other way. Shower pole doesn't go above the shower. If installed correctly following wiring regulations and installation instructions there zero possibility of the screws from the pole catching the cable.

Shower installation isn't a DIY job. In fact we have laws here in Ireland prohibiting DIY installations. There is even a threat of prison for such an offence. Getting in a professional installation company rules out the risks you fear

No idea what you're on about maybe read post again, im on about the extra right angle that's supplied

I said the same thing , vertical drop on pipe and cable

Live rail is low risk but a small risk is there

I don't fear any risks im pointing out minor issues im a spark with 30 yrs experience plenty of shower installs and repairs

What's confusing me is the shower has the CE mark. It also has the Beab, meaning that it was fully tested for electric safety. A screw from the pole can't go into the cable for the shower. Shower is designed so that cable is no way near the shower pole. The screw going through the chrome pole is industry standard. Just about every chrome soap tray or corner bottle holding tray has screws going through them and into the wall in the exact same way. In fact even the shower door or bath screen is pinned to the wall in the exact same way.

I trying to hear what you are saying but I just don't see the safety issue you see that all safety standards don't see. This is why I assumed a DIY job.

Well congratulations on entering the world of Triton electric showers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement