Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mira Elite QT Shower

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Taking the eco setting first at say 3.25 LPM, a 4.5kw element will give a temperature rise of 19.8C which gives a showering temp of 31.8C say 32C (from 12C) so lukewarm.
    The full power setting, based on 3.35 LPM gives a temperature rise of 38.5C which gives a showering temp of 50.5C, say 51C which would be clearly incorrect as that is at scalding point and would/should have tripped the heating elements, either the measured flow rate is incorrect or the shower is running on one element but this would result in a even cooler temp of 31C. So you might take another flow test on full power as I would expect a flow rate of 4.5 LPM at 40C.

The eco flowrate would have to be as low as 2.3 LPM to give 40C but that is because you can't get the flow rate low enough with the temp control on max.

Another check would be to run it on Eco setting with the temperature control at max, then just change the power setting to high and check if the temperature rises appreciably and then runs hot/cold, this will "prove" that it is now running on both elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

John.G wrote: »
    Taking the eco setting first at say 3.25 LPM, a 4.5kw element will give a temperature rise of 19.8C which gives a showering temp of 31.8C say 32C (from 12C) so lukewarm.
    The full power setting, based on 3.35 LPM gives a temperature rise of 38.5C which gives a showering temp of 50.5C, say 51C which would be clearly incorrect as that is at scalding point and would/should have tripped the heating elements, either the measured flow rate is incorrect or the shower is running on one element but this would result in a even cooler temp of 31C. So you might take another flow test on full power as I would expect a flow rate of 4.5 LPM at 40C.

The eco flowrate would have to be as low as 2.3 LPM to give 40C but that is because you can't get the flow rate low enough with the temp control on max.

Thanks for getting back....i'm not sure I fully understand your response, but am I correct in thinking that you think it's either an element problem or a flow rate problem? Should I get the Mira guy out to look at it? It still has a couple of months warranty I hope??

There is definitely a MINIMUM flow rate problem as the shower should get down to ~ 2 LPM whatever power setting is selected, even Low (cold)

This completely explains the lukewarm temperature on Eco power.

Its the flow rate/temp on the high setting that I am really interested in, that's why I asked you to repeat that particular test.
    I would like you to repeat this flow test on the high setting and/or if not, just the last part, ie temp setting to max and change from Eco to High power without changing the temperature setting and just observe the temperature and see if the shower then runs alternatively hot/cold.

Overall, yes, I think you should get Mira involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Looking to replace an 15 year old mira elite . Saw the new mira se <not the dual head >having read all the bad reviews of the newer versions .Im wondering if all these problems have been ironed out in the latest se version.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Definitely not. The Elite SE is still problematic. Its gotten to the stage where the Mira service engineers are blaming the original installation. I've seen uneven tiles, silicone around the shower, using other than screws provided & screws too tight used to get out of the warranty in the last few months alone. No other manufacturer carries on like this.

The main failing parts are now TCO, solenoid, pump elbow, shower hose & plastic cracking & breaking. Then you have the usual parts that fail less often like the flow valve & element. Unfortunately the flow valve is part of the heating can /element on this model so a faulty flow valve will cost around 200 supplied & fitted. Not worth spending this type of money on repair

The dual head is a big selling point though. A lot of people like the idea of a dual head & mira are the only ones doing dual head

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Definitely not. The Elite SE is still problematic. Its gotten to the stage where the Mira service engineers are blaming the original installation. I've seen uneven tiles, silicone around the shower, using other than screws provided & screws too tight used to get out of the warranty in the last few months alone. No other manufacturer carries on like this.

The main failing parts are now TCO, solenoid, pump elbow, shower hose & plastic cracking & breaking. Then you have the usual parts that fail less often like the flow valve & element. Unfortunately the flow valve is part of the heating can /element on this model so a faulty flow valve will cost around 200 supplied & fitted. Not worth spending this type of money on repair

The dual head is a big selling point though. A lot of people like the idea of a dual head & mira are the only ones doing dual head

Thanks Sleeper. Shame really .The main allure for me was the like for like replacement and the position of the filter .As the water where I live is bog filtered I was removing the cover and cleaning the filter about 4 times a year and liked the idea of being able to access it without removing the cover.
    Looks like I will go with the triton ts 90 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is hard to believe that there is a thirteen page thread on how bad the Mira Elite QT is but here I am and I've just pulled out a cracked rubber elbow from under mine to see why it was leaking. The poxy thing is fitting a little over two years and it replaced an Elite ST that ate its pump motor after five years - I bought Mira to save having to flute around with tiles fitting a different brand.

If I live another hundred years I will never buy another Mira shower. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - I learned a lot in the space of twenty minutes!

Are Dublin Shower Repair the best place to buy parts and should I fit replacement brushes in the pump motor while I'm at it?

Thanks!

Mira parts can be a little cheaper from the UK but you'll pay 6 to 10 euro shipping making them dearer than here.

I took out a Mira Elite QT last week. Two years old & holes in the plastic. Genuine mire screws used yet casing cracked. Screws weren't over tight. In fact a little looser & the shower would have jiggled if you rocked it back & forward. Shower pole was cracked & the shower hose was damaged. The new Mira Elite SE has all these same issues. I have written to them several times since this thread started almost 5 years ago about the many, many issues. They have never replied. I have sent emails to them through my supplier thinking they would have to reply to a big plumbing suppliers but again no contact from them at all in almost 5 years. Now there seems to be a policy of looking for loopholes in the installation to get out of the warranty. The Mira Vigour Thermostatic power shower comes factory preset at max 40c (I think). Sometimes the client will want us to override this for even hotter water. Mira make provisions for this so not a problem. The problem is many come with the max tempeture set way lower than 40c. In this case it left the factory assembled or calibrated incorrectly. This is a manufacture error. Homeowner rings The Shower Doctors (Mira customer care) & is told that the shower is installed incorrectly & they need to get the installer back!! A shower calibrated incorrectly at the time of manufacture is most definitely a warranty issue
    This is Mira customer service at it's finest!!

Mira make good cartridge showers. I don't rate them for electric or power showers & the worst customer care I've ever seen. Five years & they still haven't replied to my many emails from the start of this thread almost five years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 aob9

I'm so glad I found this thread. My Mira Elite QT motor has suddenly started sounding like a badly serviced jet engine. The shower is out of warranty but only installed six months. It hung around in a box for a long time before it was finally fitted. I can't fit the Triton T90SR as the landscape format doesn't leave enough room. I'm thinking of the portrait T90, not silent but probably better than opting for the Elite SE, which by all accounts isn't a whole lot better. By the way, does anybody have any idea why the QT motor starts screaming, and how long before it completely dies?

• Advertisement

There is definitely a MINIMUM flow rate problem as the shower should get down to ~ 2 LPM whatever power setting is selected, even Low (cold)

This completely explains the lukewarm temperature on Eco power.

Its the flow rate/temp on the high setting that I am really interested in, that's why I asked you to repeat that particular test.
    I would like you to repeat this flow test on the high setting and/or if not, just the last part, ie temp setting to max and change from Eco to High power without changing the temperature setting and just observe the temperature and see if the shower then runs alternatively hot/cold.

Overall, yes, I think you should get Mira involved.

Just an update on this. Mira called out and the thermostat was broken. Build up of limescale blamed.

cuculainn wrote: »
    Just an update on this. Mira called out and the thermostat was broken. Build up of limescale blamed.

This doesn't make sense. There isn't a thermostat in the shower. There is a thermostatic cut out but this can't cause the issue you had. Did they charge you or was it covered under warranty?

The mind boggles as to why Mira hide the true cause of the problem but nothing surprises me about them anymore

cuculainn wrote: »

Whatever the fix, Is the temperature control now more "normal" ie about 2 oclock or so with both elements on and can you now get the required hot water temperature on ECO setting only and does the temperature control still have to be fully clockwise?.

This doesn't make sense. There isn't a thermostat in the shower. There is a thermostatic cut out but this can't cause the issue you had. Did they charge you or was it covered under warranty?

The mind boggles as to why Mira hide the true cause of the problem but nothing surprises me about them anymore

Just a more general question re limescale build up, as the limescale builds up, is the first indication that you have to keep turning the temperature control anti clockwise to try and get the same flow rate and eventually it is fully anti clockwise but then cannot supply enough flow so the TCO operates? and/or does a heating element fail (burn out) due to the insulating effect of the limescale build up?. or have seen both of these events?.

John.G wrote:
    Just a more general question re limescale build up, as the limescale builds up, is the first indication that you have to keep turning the temperature control anti clockwise to try and get the same flow rate and eventually it is fully anti clockwise but then cannot supply enough flow so the TCO operates? and/or does a heating element fail (burn out) due to the insulating effect of the limescale build up?. or have seen both of these events?.

You have described the flow dial perfectly as effected by limescale. As the heating can gets fuller & fuller with limescale more & more heat gets transferred into the can itself & it puts a lot of stress on the TCO. Very few elements will ever get as far as burning out from limescale. Usually the shower or element will be replaced before this happens either because A the homeowners will have to descale the shower head after each shower or B the heating can will start to blow TCOs because of the heat transference. Turn off the shower and listen to the kettling. You can literally hear the water come to the boil. You might need to replace the TCO every few weeks in this situation

So is it likely that they could/would have replaced Cuculainn's heating can (&TCO).

So is it likely that they could/would have replaced Cuculainn's heating can (&TCO).

They could have. It should be on the service report they left him exactly what part/parts were replaced

His doesn't sound like a limescale issue. He needed to turn the dial clockwise as time went on. For limescale you'd expect the dial needing to be turned more anti clockwise as time went on

Yes, a strange one alright.

No charge.

heating to right temp on high mod with the heating control at approx 2 o'clock
    heating at eco mod with the temp turned to max

I would think it was the heating can (or element) that was replaced

cuculainn wrote:
    I would think it was the heating can (or element) that was replaced

A part that can fail in any shower & not one of the known problematic parts. Out of warranty you can expect to pay just over 200 euros to have that part replaced

• Advertisement

Still, decent enough out of them to replace FOC, since they suspected limescale, maybe they took the top off the can and had a peep inside and found none.

Also one would think that with one element gone, then because there was heat with hi or ECO selected that it it would have required the same temperature control setting for both but it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cc345

Hi looking for some advice my mira elite qt suddenly stopped while having a shower the motor seems fine and tried taking out filter and letting water flow for a few mins from the tank but all seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and would it be worth getting fixed it's a 5 year old thanks

Cc345 wrote:
    Hi looking for some advice my mira elite qt suddenly stopped while having a shower the motor seems fine and tried taking out filter and letting water flow for a few mins from the tank but all seems fine. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and would it be worth getting fixed it's a 5 year old thanks

Most likely a faulty solenoid coil. If it's faulty it will not open the solenoid valve to let water through

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Something has just happened mine. Water leaking - think it's from the black pipe in the second photo - is that the solenoid valve?
    Power is off at the pull cord. Can't turn the water off without turning off most of upstairs water.

Is it easily fixable?
    Is it a DIY job (I'd be fairly handy)?
    Where would I get the part(s)?

Edit: looking online it seems to be the on/off switching assembly (1788.429) - would that be right?

attachment.php?attachmentid=542020&stc=1&d=1612442296

attachment.php?attachmentid=542022&stc=1&d=1612442424

It's the pump elbow that needs replacing. This part leaking is one of the many known issues with this model

Edit: this is the part you need

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/product/mira-elite-qt-pump-elbow/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gerkildare

I've just spent a relaxing evening [!!] reading thru' this thread AND had the S***er D****rs out :eek: [may as well have got the Saw Doctors for all the good it did :D]
    I have a banjaxed Mira Elite ST 9.8kW - can I replace it with a Triton T90SR 9.0kW?
    If I've read correctly here [I'm not really a plumbing-type of guy, but give me a diagram and I can 'get' most things!!]] - the Power/Plumbing switch over should be reasonably easy - that right?
    THANKS ;)

Power & plumbing are in the exact same place. You need a few inches of free space to the right of your mira to accommodate the triton. Only other issue that can cause problems is if old mira isn't tiled behind. We find that about 95 percent of mira elite showers can be replaced with the triton t90sr silent without much difficulty.

As for your doctor friends, I absolutely hate having to deal with them.

Power & plumbing are in the exact same place. You need a few inches of free space to the right of your mira to accommodate the triton. Only other issue that can cause problems is if old mira isn't tiled behind. We find that about 95 percent of mira elite showers can be replaced with the triton t90sr silent without much difficulty.

As for your doctor friends, I absolutely hate having to deal with them.

Thanks for your reply S12 - I'm definitely going to go for the Triton!
    ;) G

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Our Mira Elite QT is dripping again so we've decided to replace it. I haven't opened it to see what has gone (will do so later) but unless its something loose (which I doubt), it will be removed and swapped with a something else.
    From what I gather the recommended replacement suggested on here is the Triton T90SR - am I correct?
    This looks to be more of a horizontal shape then the vertical shape of the Mira. From what I gather, our Mira is tiled behind it (see images 5 posts up). I presume that this is better.

Am I correct in thinking that the T90 SR is different from the T90 SR Satin?
    I've looked but can't see what the difference between the two are (apart from the Satin being more expensive) - is there one?

• Advertisement

Our Mira Elite QT is dripping again so we've decided to replace it. I haven't opened it to see what has gone (will do so later) but unless its something loose (which I doubt), it will be removed and swapped with a something else.
    From what I gather the recommended replacement suggested on here is the Triton T90SR - am I correct?
    This looks to be more of a horizontal shape then the vertical shape of the Mira. From what I gather, our Mira is tiled behind it (see images 5 posts up). I presume that this is better.

Am I correct in thinking that the T90 SR is different from the T90 SR Satin?
    I've looked but can't see what the difference between the two are (apart from the Satin being more expensive) - is there one?

I went for the Triton T90SR - it's a fine replacement.
    We've found it's not quite as powerful as the Mira but it's more than adequate and we're real happy to get rid of the Mira [and all the hassles that come with spares, servicing etc etc]
    For us it fitted nicely-ish where the Mira was - there's just 2 rawlplugged holes left, but that's not a major repair and certainly isn't a deal breaker!

If I was to say anything further... take Sleeper12's advice and stay well away from the doctor friends!
    ;)

Advertisement