Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting the dole while studying, what happens if you get caught?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

I have 2 friends who did this - One never got caught, he was doing an Undergrad course as a mature student, the other one did a 1 year postgrad and got caught after about 6 months, they had to pay back the dole (100 euro a month or something like that ), but they think they DEFINITELY made the right decision anyway because they got decent jobs after finishing their course and could pay the money back - as opposed to being stuck on the dole indefinitely.. I think they were 100% right to do it- now they're not a drain on social welfare and actually paying tax! (The postgrad course was an IT course by the way)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

As I said previously I worked with foster kids who went to college with no parental support and only got the grant. One or two of them illegally got the dole. There are plenty of ways around it. Don't feel guilty if you really need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Talula123 wrote: »
    I want to do my masters degree but I can't afford it even with contribution fees and tax revenue to help to help cover fees its a pipe dream for me.
    The economic crash happened when I had just started college, at that stage there was still funding for postgrad courses but by the time I got my BA degree doing a masters was out of reach financially, I havnt been able to find any work in years and most career jobs these days require a masters degree, im thinking the only way I can manage it financially is if I just stay on the dole and don't tell them im in full time education. I know it's a high risk and ive never done anything like that before.
    Working part time wouldnt support me as rent is so high and thats if I was lucky enough to even find part time work. Im in my late 20's and I have very little work experiance due to not being able to gain employment.

So what happens if you do get caught out it? is it likely that I would be caught?

Maybe you need a bit of career guidance before you do anything, it is a bit unusual for someone one of your age and qualification to have little to know work experience, have you ever had any sort of job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Mr.S wrote: »
    Get a loan.

Do any of the Banks do a good loan for something like this??? I suppose a loan with a 2 yr deferment of repayments is the ideal loan... is there such a thing out there???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Regarding not drawing attention to yourself,

My favourite dole cheat story has to be the actress who was an extra on corrie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If you're caught you repay everything and get a nice criminal conviction to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Ive applied to cafes, restaurants, shops, supermarkets, receptionist jobs, dunnes, pennies, clubs, supermacs, kfc, bars everything. The only interview i got was for a CE scheme a year ago.

Have you looked into springboard courses? Your still entitled to your dole while doing them and there's some really good courses post grad ones and diplomas and higher certs aot of colleges do them...did one and got a job out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I know someone who was caught. They were made pay it back. No criminal record or anything!

Has a great job now although nothing to do with the course they were on when caught.

PlainP wrote: »
    I know someone who was caught. They were made pay it back. No criminal record or anything!

Has a great job now although nothing to do with the course they were on when caught.

I presume the chance of a criminal record depends greatly on the ability to repay when caught.

I know fellows who were caught working and claiming. They owed thousands and were summonsed, even though they were paying weekly amounts back. There may be a different thinking for other defrauding, but it certainly may result in a criminal conviction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is a link for you on applying for the BTEA.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/BTEA-Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx#q11

I am studying while retaining my welfare payment, on VTOS. Unfortunately it means I can't work more than 20 hours, even over the summer, because if I get a full time job I can't get payment for my second year of study. It's a bit of a messed up system, but it's the honest way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If you're caught you repay everything and get a nice criminal conviction to boot.

Not true in all cases, the conviction part that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Not true in all cases, the conviction part that is.

Rarely true in fact. Criminal convictions are exceptional.

Doesn't make it right though.

I also know someone who claimed while on a college course and they had about 8k to pay back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I also know someone who claimed while on a college course and they had about 8k to pay back...

Probably cheaper to pay back than take a bank loan upfront, presume you are not charged interest on paying back?

Probably cheaper to pay back than take a bank loan upfront, presume you are not charged interest on paying back?

True but you will always have the 'dole cheat' stamp on your file. Should you need welfare for some reason in the future (even for pensions) it doesn't look great!

• Advertisement

True but you will always have the 'dole cheat' stamp on your file. Should you need welfare for some reason in the future (even for pensions) it doesn't look great!

Doesnt look great?

I dont think Id really care about how it "looked", so long as I couldnt be refused further legitimate social welfare services/payments as a result.

No - how it looked wouldnt bother me at all.

Doesnt look great?

I dont think Id really care about how it "looked", so long as I couldnt be refused further legitimate social welfare services/payments as a result.

How are they to know if you're legit?

With the dept of social protection it's guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around. If you have been caught essentially taking money you are not entitled to that's a major red flag for anything you need to claim in future.

How are they to know if you're legit?

With the dept of social protection it's guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around. If you have been caught essentially taking money you are not entitled to that's a major red flag for anything you need to claim in future.

The point Im making is, that I wouldnt be banned from applying for things in the future.

If you pay the money back then you havent taken anything, so the red flag can only say "took money, gave it back".

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I did it before OP, when I was really really stuck. I got caught, and they simply just cut me off. I didn't even have to repay anything, though I normally you do have to. I just decided to leave college that year, get a full time job, save up money then go back the following year :)

The point Im making is, that I wouldnt be banned from applying for things in the future.

If you pay the money back then you havent taken anything, so the red flag can only say "took money, gave it back".

Yep that's true but it could make it extremely difficult for a claim to be approved.

• Advertisement

Yep that's true but it could make it extremely difficult for a claim to be approved.

Im not so sure about that actually.

I know a few different people who were accidently overpaid, and when it was discovered (in some cases by DSP and in some cases by the people themselves) they just paid it back and got on with it and it didnt have any impact whatsoever on future claims. Once the books balance (ie, the money is paid back) they dont seem to care too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Just get a job. Most people manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Im not so sure about that actually.

I know a few different people who were accidently overpaid, and when it was discovered (in some cases by DSP and in some cases by the people themselves) they just paid it back and got on with it and it didnt have any impact whatsoever on future claims. Once the books balance (ie, the money is paid back) they dont seem to care too much.

Being accidentally overpaid is very different to making a fraudulent claim though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I want to do my masters degree but I can't afford it even with contribution fees and tax revenue to help to help cover fees its a pipe dream for me.
    The economic crash happened when I had just started college, at that stage there was still funding for postgrad courses but by the time I got my BA degree doing a masters was out of reach financially, I havnt been able to find any work in years and most career jobs these days require a masters degree, im thinking the only way I can manage it financially is if I just stay on the dole and don't tell them im in full time education. I know it's a high risk and ive never done anything like that before.
    Working part time wouldnt support me as rent is so high and thats if I was lucky enough to even find part time work. Im in my late 20's and I have very little work experiance due to not being able to gain employment.

So what happens if you do get caught out it? is it likely that I would be caught?

I used to work in an admin job in an IT and twice yearly we would get a request from DSW to forward them a list of all students currently enrolled. This was sent electronically and includes DOB, PPS, address etc - you will be caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Doesnt look great?

You wouldn't be refused but because you had proved yourself to be a liar and a cheat already, the checks and reviews will be constant and quite rigorous and that can be very tedious
    Thing about SW is, once you've shown your not to be trusted, they never really do again.

You wouldn't be refused but because you had proved yourself to be a liar and a cheat already, the checks and reviews will be constant and quite rigorous and that can be very tedious
    Thing about SW is, once you've shown your not to be trusted, they never really do again.

Are the checks and reviews not already constant and rigorous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Google Springboard OP.

Not particularly it seems. I know someone who wasn't asked to sign on for over 10 months. The person was in part time education and looking for work genuinely but still.

Not particularly it seems. I know someone who wasn't asked to sign on for over 10 months. The person was in part time education and looking for work genuinely but still.

They changed how often you sign on when I was redundant (due to sheer numbers), it used to be every 3 months (at the office I used) but it went to once a year. They simply couldnt handle the volume of people during the recession. I always assumed it was going to go back to more frequently once things improved and there were less people signing on, Ive no idea how long it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Im in my late 20's and I have very little work experience due to not being able to gain employment.

I don't for one second believe that a person in their late 20's has not been able to find any work for almost ten years.

Grow up, get a basic job, save up and go do your masters. Stop looking for justification and excuses to rip the tax payer off because you feel you're too good to work like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

maudgonner wrote: »
    Being accidentally overpaid is very different to making a fraudulent claim though.

Very true.
    I signed off last year but was overpaid due to their schedules. I applied for another payment while working and was owed back money.
    They put a stop on the back money until I had called them to pay back the accidental overpayment.

It seems the op doesn't want any advice and has decided on the course of action. I.e. do his masters while claiming social welfare. He'll be caught very quickly !

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

To the OP:

Sorry if this has been said already I haven't read the full thread.

I wanted to get Back to Education Allowance to do a Master's. The Master's course was organised as HDip for the taught part of the course and then if you did your thesis over the summer that got you the Master's.

So I just told the CWO that I was only doing the HDip part of it and I was able to get Back to Education Allowance for that and then signed back on the dole for the summer and completed my thesis at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

No. Pretty much if you get any of the means tested payments , say disability allowance or non con pension, then there may be a random check on your finances, usually if they get an anonymous tip off but more regularly now if Revenue tip them off.
    But if you were caught out as a cheat or in telling lies then even when you have paid back the money they will keep regularly asking you for bank statements and will suspend your payment if your not forthcoming
    I know an elderly man and his wife now pensioners , he now with Alzheimer's , who scammed €80000 back in the day, got caugh,t CAB broke down the front door etc. nearly went to prison but their family mysteriously came up with the money, eventually got a noncon pension but get home visits from the Inspector with no warning sometimes at 9pm regularly and demands for bank statements regularly too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I did i've been trying to find other options but you can't get back to education for postgrad courses

You can get BTEA for post grad teaching courses, its the only thing they cover.

If you are caught doing a course while on JSA you will be fined, made pay back all the money, etc etc I know of girl who was 2 years into a degree course and she had to pay back two years of payments. Not worth the hassle tbh.

Chorcai wrote: »
    You can get BTEA for post grad teaching courses, its the only thing they cover.

If you are caught doing a course while on JSA you will be fined, made pay back all the money, etc etc I know of girl who was 2 years into a degree course and she had to pay back two years of payments. Not worth the hassle tbh.

No it actually covers any Hdip not just for education (so long as it's furthering your career). And also professional masters in education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

FortySeven wrote: »
    Just get a job. Most people manage it.

Read the OP. If they could just get a job they would probably be just doing the job.
    I have very little work experiance due to not being able to gain employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

If the OP has had such a trouble getting a job, a Masters is not necessarily going to suddenly change this issue?

Are we missing something here OP?

I feel there has to be some further explanation as to why you have very little work experience when you're in your late twenties?

Anyway, scamming the dole is not the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Read the OP. If they could just get a job they would probably be just doing the job.

You need to be a spectacular amount of useless to be in your late twenties and not be able to work up till that time. And still not able to find work. If I can find employment then anyone can.

Op should emigrate. There's clearly no need for the rest of us to sustain an unemployable scammer.

Advertisement