Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

for anybody getting plagued with these calls do what I did. Answer play along for a few minutes then drop the word benchod.( Indian word for fcker.)
    (to pronounce correctly chod rhymes with rode)
    Was getting these everyday but since I did this nothing but silence.

My phone is starting today now.

3 times but none amounted to any human interaction, more like they want me to ring back the number type scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Got an automated call today purporting to be from the Department for Social Protection.

Call from 085 387 6***.

Alert on scam phone calls and scam text messages.

From Department of Social Protection
    Published on 28 April 2021
    Last updated on 23 June 2021

We are aware of fraudulent phone calls and text messages, claiming to be from the department, seeking bank account details or personal information.

Our staff will never ask you for your bank details if they should have reason to call you over the phone and we will never seek personal information from you by text message.

If you receive such a call or text, please do not engage with the caller and do not share any part of your PPS Number, bank account details or any other personal information with them.

If you have provided any such information to a caller that you believe to be a scam call or scam text, please contact the Gardaí immediately. Please view advice from Gardaí here.

We urge you to be extremely cautious if you receive such a call or text message. You should also ensure that you use official departmental websites, for example www.MyWelfare.ie and www.gov.ie/dsp.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Had nothing since last Friday, thought I was out of the woods for a while. But then today got an 028 number calling which is Skibbereen

Have just now had a call from 087 621 xxxx. My plan was to answer and say nothing, but there was an Irish sounding woman on the other end saying hello. Tried saying hello back but couldn't seem to hear me, anyways now I'm thinking maybe my number had been used for calls and she responding back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Mine so far today:

01 XXXX XXXX
    028 XXX XXX
    024 XXX XXX
    (All too many digits)

And several mobile numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yesterday
    083 340 xxxx
    083 353 xxxx
    083 355 xxxx

My wife had a 088 xxx xxxx number today. Brings back memories !

I had one extremely abusive call from a real Irish number, claiming I called them trying to rip them off! Seems my number was spoofed.

This is becoming very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think the only option is block all unknown callers. Can they still send a text if they're blocked? Problem then is a genuine 'new' caller is blocked.

I must of blocked about 12 calls from 12 different +353 08X numbers last Thursday alone, they have eased off this week but last week I had about 40 calls all with different numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Got my first one today - +353 (79) 86... Automated message with something along the lines of suspicious activity with my PPS number and the Dept of Social Protection were building a case? Hope this isn't the start of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Plagued with 083 numbers today. Apparently there is a warrant out for my arrest. Strange as I don't live in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Please do come back to the thread in a couple of weeks and let us know if you have received any more calls after this - there is some anecdotal evidence that wasting their time gets your number blacklisted.
    Well blagging them did not put them off. Got only one today. Unfortunately I didn't have time to engage and have any chat with "garda roisin Murphy" from new Delhi.

rn wrote: »
    Well blagging them did not put them off. Got only one today. Unfortunately I didn't have time to engage and have any chat with "garda roisin Murphy" from new Delhi.

Thanks for the update. Funny enough I still haven't received a single call since the first one where I told the guy I was drug trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Careful "roisin" will have a warrant out for your arrest..

rn wrote: »
    Careful "roisin" will have a warrant out for your arrest..

He hung up on me! I didn't even get to level 2 and the wonderful Roisín.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It has been pointed out that, considering the numbers currently in use for the main PPS/Garda scams are fake, that posting them may cause problems for the real owners. So don't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

"@sinead_ryan
    @sinead_ryan
    The @welfare_ie
    is suing me for moneylaundering and fraud. This follows suspicion that I have stolen money.
    I can rectify this by pressing 1 and speaking to a 'customs officer'.
    OR ... hey, could it be a scam?
    083 ### #### ... GOOD TRY!!
    "

Of all people for the scammers to ring, someone who works in the Media?
    Not linking the tweet, because of number posted.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

corkie wrote: »

They don't know who they're ringing. That's the point - this is a random number generation thing, not a leak, not a hack, not anything other than trying all the possible mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

corkie wrote: »
    "@sinead_ryan
    @sinead_ryan
    The @welfare_ie
    is suing me for moneylaundering and fraud. This follows suspicion that I have stolen money.
    I can rectify this by pressing 1 and speaking to a 'customs officer'.
    OR ... hey, could it be a scam?
    083 ### #### ... GOOD TRY!!
    "

And being in the media you'd think she'd have been aware that this scam is running months and the Dept has issued warnings about it. Hardly news or tweet worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very very annoying. Got 6 or 7 of these in the last few weeks. Pain in the hole at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I never got any, then got 3 the day after I got vaccinated!

Each one the automated call about PPS.

They left a voicemail of the message on one of them.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I never got any, then got 3 the day after I got vaccinated!

Each one the automated call about PPS.

They left a voicemail of the message on one of them.

Must be picking up on your brand new microchip!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

How do they get someone elses real number to appear as the caller?
    Can that not be fixed so that they cant do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

Caller ID can be spoofed to show any number they want.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    How do they get someone elses real number to appear as the caller?
    Can that not be fixed so that they cant do this?

Basically the voice telephone network is based around very old concepts that relied on Caller ID being always trustworthy, as it only ever could be generated by a telephone exchange in a trusted “telephone administration”.

Nowadays there are VoIP gateways all over the place and it is interconnecting with internet technologies, but still lacks the ability to verify Caller ID information with exchange of keys or certs or anything and there’s basically no control over it at all and the networks blindly pass the information though, without verifying anything.

Basically, unless they sort this out, Caller ID will be a useful as Reply-To on email and the voice networks will be as overrun with spammers too.

I predict in about 10 years, the PSTN be it mobile or fixed line, will have been almost totally replaced by IM services voice calls. It’s not able to get to grips with spam and it’ll become irrelevant if it can’t solve this. There are plenty of alternatives these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Two calls this evening from +216 tunisia... within an hour of each other. Slightly different numbers though. Didn't bother me hole answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Oh well I enjoyed a week off since last friday and got 2 calls today. I was pretty annoyed as basterds woke me up sleeping after night shift so you can imagine what words I exchanged with them. I answered both and tried to hurl as much abuse as I could within few seconds as they both hung up.
    Funniest thing is that they both said "thank you for calling social protection" which caused me to go 1000mph and told them "YOU are calling ME ya cnut"
    Eh, they did not last long I tell you I managed only 3-4 obscenities.
    I go with presumption that nobody like to hear such things so maybe they will leave me be. If not, I will widen my vocabulary and add some of their native language expressions to the conversation.

Ive my phone set to silence calls from anyone not in my contacts during certain hours now. It’s the only way I can deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

I got a scatter of scam calls from 086 numbers... answered the 1st one.. twas a recorded msg about my PPSN.. I smelled a rat and hung up.. then later heard on the radio about this happening nationally.. then over the next 2 days I got a load more of these calls.. didn't answer.. v annoying as turned out that one call was legit though I didn't have that no as a contact.. hard to know what numbers to answer/block as a result.. but they have stopped now.. crazier than usual world these days.. hope people don't get caught out

Just curious, do you have an 086 number yourself ?

Most of my inbound spam calls have had fake mobile numbers with the same prefix as my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

A new one to add to the list today - 01 592 xxxx

Advertisement