Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I’m hoping that by permanently diverting to voicemail for a few days it might cause them to stop.

If it doesn’t, I guess I’ll have to shred my number, which is a huge mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m increasingly convinced this isn’t random.

I’m now getting calls on my mobile displaying fake landline numbers (too many digits) but from my local area code.

The only way they could be targeting that is if they have my address, as my mobile number has no geographic information.

This uptick in call volumes (I’d received very very few of these before) also seems to coincide with the HSE data beech.

If the volume stays this high, I’ll have to change my mobile number, which is a total pain in the rear.

I can’t really deal with 1 spam call an hour though, which is what I’m getting. My phone is currently permanently diverted to voicemail to avoid them.
    I think it's down to the Facebook and/or Fastway hacks. I know my number was leaked in the Facebook one and the thought of having to change my number has been on my mind since.

I got one of these calls from an 083 number at 7:55 this morning and got another yesterday afternoon from a similar 087 number. I was so tempted to answer the one this morning and bark down the phone at them. The numbers are spoofed so blocking them won't do much.

The networks are going to have to do better than just blindly passing caller ID info.

If a number is +353 8x and isn’t originating from one of the Irish mobile networks, the call shouldn’t be routed, or the Caller ID should be removed at the very least.

Same should happen if a call is originating from outside Ireland with an Irish number being presented.

I don’t buy the argument though that they can’t do this. The mobile networks are all using advanced technology and the landline networks are fairly sophisticated at the core switch level.

They should be capable of analysing the Caller ID a bit better that this.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Another 083 call today 10:26am

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Same here - i'm on android and have started using the Hiya app for filtering.
    But will shred my number in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Hiya hasn’t been catching them as they aren’t in the database as they’re randomly generated, valid looking mobile numbers.

The problem is even reporting them to Hiya or similar won’t help as they could easily be someone’s valid mobile number being spoofed on these calls.

I would also assume they’re sending different random numbers on different calls, so it’s not likely to trigger any of those filter apps on a single report.

The issue is at the Irish phone network operator and COMREG’s door, as they’re allowing any old nonsense to be presented as Caller ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Out of the blue i'm getting scam calls, automated recordings.
    Got 1 call and 1 text yesterday
    Got 2 calls today.

First one was about PPS number.
    Last 3 have been my BOI account (i don't have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I got two scam calls yesterday to the work phone. I hung up as soon as I heard the recorded message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

083 PPS scam at 11:25 this morning -

Loads of 0044 numbers 6 today. Unpaid internet bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

From a UK number a few minutes ago. I didn't answer, message left claiming there is a revenue investigation against me.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Panrich

Glaceon wrote: »
    I think it's down to the Facebook and/or Fastway hacks. I know my number was leaked in the Facebook one and the thought of having to change my number has been on my mind since.

I got one of these calls from an 083 number at 7:55 this morning and got another yesterday afternoon from a similar 087 number. I was so tempted to answer the one this morning and bark down the phone at them. The numbers are spoofed so blocking them won't do much.

I don't think it's Facebook as I am not on there and I have had multiple calls over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Deub

Panrich wrote: »
    I don't think it's Facebook as I am not on there and I have had multiple calls over the past few days.

II don’t think it is Fastway or HSE because they don’t have my phone number but I receive calls as well.
    If they ring random numbers (and it looks like it is) changing phone numbers won’t resolve the issue.
    With the volume of calls received, it must be good business to call irish numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

BrookieD wrote: »

Same here, 11.30 and another one just 5 mins ago. Both from 083 numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Panrich wrote: »

What makes you think you had to put your number on it?

When someone joins Facebook, it nicely asks if it can have access to their contacts to see who they know on Facebook. I dont think they delete the numbers that dont match current users.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

4 calls this morning from mobile numbers and another call just there from a landline number that when answered transferred straight away to Shaw academy.

Never had a scam call before today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of these specific calls are down to any hacks - they are just generating numbers and dialling them.

Unless the caller has other info (e.g. your name) it did not come from a hack. Irish mobile numbers are extremely formulaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My house lodger also got this - said a robotic voice mentioned PPS and then cut off. How is this scam supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cyloncity

Got it yesterday. Any origin info?
    Was hoping it would be my vaccine apt!!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The networks are going to have to do better than just blindly passing caller ID info.

If a number is +353 8x and isn’t originating from one of the Irish mobile networks, the call shouldn’t be routed, or the Caller ID should be removed at the very least.

Same should happen if a call is originating from outside Ireland with an Irish number being presented.

I don’t buy the argument though that they can’t do this. The mobile networks are all using advanced technology and the landline networks are fairly sophisticated at the core switch level.

They should be capable of analysing the Caller ID a bit better that this.

The networks certainly have a mechanism to identify the originating network, as that's how they charge for roaming and inter-network last mile call charging.
    But it's worrying how the fake caller-ids are being allowed. If you have a contact number stored on your phone then it could be spoofed and presented as coming from that contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

In the same boat, two calls today 087 and the next 3 numbers are the same as my number. I answered the first one this morning as I thought it might have been one of my wedding suppliers and it was an automated voice pretending to be the Gardaí. I ignored the second.

just got another one, 3rd one today.
    All 083 numbers

The networks certainly have a mechanism to identify the originating network, as that's how they charge for roaming and inter-network last mile call charging.
    But it's worrying how the fake caller-ids are being allowed. If you have a contact number stored on your phone then it could be spoofed and presented as coming from that contact.

It's why using Caller ID for any kind of security or authentication is a very, very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got 2 today and 2 yesterday from 087 numbers.

I answered all of them and lucky I did as between those number I got a call about an interview from another unknow number.

My number is 087 and I'm getting 087 calls, is everyone else just getting called from the same as theirs.

Now I'm not vodafone so maybe I'll leave a call on hold next time, on the off chance it costs them.

Obviously our numbers have gotten leaked here.
    I really hope our mobile phone providers up their game and start blocking these.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Just started this week, all 087 numbers.

The first one was automated message about a pps number and i hung up immediately and blocked it.
    They just ring back off a different 087 number.
    Yesterday I was on a zoom call and one came through and declined immediately and it rang again after hanging up, and a further three times. Infuriating. I just keep ignoring them and blocking them.
    Then this morning I got a WhatsApp from a random number selling me stuff. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I have to agree with other posters, our network providers really need to up their game. They need to block 'spoofed' numbers, that would sort this out in no time.
    There is no point blocking or ringing the caller identified on your phone. We shouldn't have to be dealing with this when it could be stopped at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

.42. wrote: »
    Another 083 call today 10:26am

Call number 2 from 083 today at 15:17

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

1st call at 14:45 086 number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

I got two today on my work phone. Both +353 85 387 xxxx

I imagine they got it by just brute forcing phone number format. My work phone number is knowen to virtualy nobody, just my collegues and I've never used it to register for something online or any services.

Hopefully will put people's mind to ease thinking that facebook's been hacked or it's from the HSE hack etc..

Advertisement