Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagued by scam calls *DON'T POST PHONE NUMBERS*

Options

Comments

I got two today on my work phone. Both +353 85 387 xxxx

I imagine they got it by just brute forcing phone number format. My work phone number is knowen to virtualy nobody, just my collegues and I've never used it to register for something online or any services.

Hopefully will put people's mind to ease thinking that facebook's been hacked or it's from the HSE hack etc..

This here, this is how they "got your phone number". Technically I have every single one of your phone numbers, because if I just start dialling 087 000 000 and move up one digit each time, eventually I will reach one of you. It's far faster when a computer is doing it, obviously, and that's exactly what they are doing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Obviously our numbers have gotten leaked here.
    I really hope our mobile phone providers up their game and start blocking these.

No, they haven't been leaked - they're just dialing every possible number. Its facile to do and calls to non-existent or unanswered numbers don't cost them anything.

Phone numbers are formulaic - its very easy to construct a list of all possible valid numbers and call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

5x5lb3v0dr241.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jos28 wrote: »
    I have to agree with other posters, our network providers really need to up their game. They need to block 'spoofed' numbers, that would sort this out in no time.
    There is no point blocking or ringing the caller identified on your phone. We shouldn't have to be dealing with this when it could be stopped at source.

Problem is, I got 2 calls on Monday, from someone returning 'my' calls. I didn’t ring, them, it was obviously someone spoofed my number. Your suggestion would leave me blocked for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

My brother is getting calls from genuine Irish mobile numbers wondering who he was and saying they’d missed a call from him, when he’s absolutely never dialled them.

So it’s very clear they are using spoofed caller ID mimicking real and live Irish phone numbers.

This is going to end up with loads of people blocked by Hiya and similar services despite having never called anyone.

There’s a huge flaw in the networks if they are processing fake caller ID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

These calls are driving me crazy as they are coming to my work phone which is extremely busy anyway.

I know it could be just random and probably is but everyone I know getting them so far was caught in the fast way data breach. Probably a coincidence but who knows.

Surely, it's up to the network operators to find a way to stop this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

whiterebel wrote: »
    Problem is, I got 2 calls on Monday, from someone returning 'my' calls. I didn’t ring, them, it was obviously someone spoofed my number. Your suggestion would leave me blocked for no reason.

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, I meant blocking the actual numbers at source. Surely our providers know that these calls are originating outside Ireland and that the calls are not being made from the 'spoofed' numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It may be one scammer group on it because since I answered and had a fun with the guy on the other end friday evening, nothing but crickets...
    Not a single call since then.
    If you decide to answer just give them plenty of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

I answered and strung them along today... I had 20 mins to kill. Clearly the scam works by trying to build rapport and then get bank details off you. They used a 3 part call with me. Automated, moved to an agent. Who runs basic queries, all ment to heighten your fear and then they transfer you to some one who can "help". Garda Roisin Murphy in my particular case. Roisin had obviously grown up some where on the Indian sub continent judging by her thick accent. Anyway I ran outta time and didn't wait for Roisin line of questions, so when I asked her for her garda I'd no, she promptly hung up.

It's not a very believeable scam ie your pps no is linked to 8 bank accounts... but if the networks don't lock it down they'll learn a bit from every smart buck like me and their story will get better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I got two today on my work phone. Both +353 85 387 xxxx

I imagine they got it by just brute forcing phone number format. My work phone number is knowen to virtualy nobody, just my collegues and I've never used it to register for something online or any services.

Hopefully will put people's mind to ease thinking that facebook's been hacked or it's from the HSE hack etc..

Had the exact same number +353 85 387 ring me too

• Advertisement

rn wrote: »
    I answered and strung them along today... I had 20 mins to kill. Clearly the scam works by trying to build rapport and then get bank details off you. They used a 3 part call with me. Automated, moved to an agent. Who runs basic queries, all ment to heighten your fear and then they transfer you to some one who can "help". Garda Roisin Murphy in my particular case. Roisin had obviously grown up some where on the Indian sub continent judging by her thick accent. Anyway I ran outta time and didn't wait for Roisin line of questions, so when I asked her for her garda I'd no, she promptly hung up.

It's not a very believeable scam ie your pps no is linked to 8 bank accounts... but if the networks don't lock it down they'll learn a bit from every smart buck like me and their story will get better over time.

Please do come back to the thread in a couple of weeks and let us know if you have received any more calls after this - there is some anecdotal evidence that wasting their time gets your number blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Got a call earlier today 087, thick Indian accent telling me that my pps was linked to serious crime. Wanted my details. I duly obliged.

"My name is Daniel Kinahan..can't believe you've finally caught me"

Few mins later the guy tells me he's gunna transfer me to a supervisor but I had my fun at this stage and told him while he was transferring me could he iron my ball sack. He hung up. Wonder if I'll get any more calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Got the automated one today from 086XXXXXX. Hung up pretty quickly. Obviously there's a digit missing, and other numbers I've seen are all only 6 digits, so that might be a useful way, for now, to screen calls.

Would be good to make a list of numbers so everyone could block these scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

All the numbers I've been called "from" are legit Irish no. I rang first one back on Monday. An elderly Irish lady answered. I promptly apologised and hung up.

I reckon they'll move to institutional numbers soon, like garda stations, social welfare offices etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got automated call from gardai today. I hung up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

steamsey wrote: »
    Got the automated one today from 086160499. Hung up pretty quickly. Obviously there's a digit missing, and other numbers I've seen are all only 6 digits, so that might be a useful way, for now, to screen calls.

Would be good to make a list of numbers so everyone could block these scammers.

Most are legit numbers and they constantly change. Blocking is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I'm getting plagued with numbers showing up as mobile, tipperary 062 and dublin 01 - if you answer and say something - you get an automated reply saying they are calling from the dep of social protection - if you answer and say nothing the call goes dead. Some even leave voicemail. I keep blocking them but a new number dials me back - absolutely plagued at this stage. I informed my mobile operator

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think the only option is block all unknown callers. Can they still send a text if they're blocked? Problem then is a genuine 'new' caller is blocked.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think the only option is block all unknown callers. Can they still send a text if they're blocked? Problem then is a genuine 'new' caller is blocked.

Is it not easier to simply answer the call and hang up if you wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Sawduck wrote: »
    Had the exact same number +353 85 387 ring me too

Just rang me too !!! Some Indian woman.. sounded like she was on a train !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Got another two calls today so far. I think I'll be doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

You can get a device that intercepts calls and only lets thru ones that you have nominated so regular/favourite will be fine. The rest are asked to leave a message and you can return if genuine but the phone does not 'ring'. I suppose there is a flashing light to indicate unread messages.

I worry about an elderly relative rushing to get to a phonecall and having a fall.
    Also there is a concern that someone might checking out the house and an unanswered phone is sign of no one home.

Nowadays we have virtually no landline calls and do not seem to have the same problem with mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

I got a call from an unknown caller yesterday. I answered, but said nothing waiting to see what would happen. Turned out to be my Amazon delivery guy telling me he was outside my house and no one home. I felt like an idiot:o.

As I was typing the above got my first scammer of the day:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Getting loads of calls from a German number.

Most people give their name in their voicemail.....so they have your name, and your mobile number....

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I got a call from an 094 number this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

honeyjo wrote: »
    I got a call from an 094 number this morning.

I got one the other day too - 094 950 XXX2 Its a Balllinrobe number. I wasn't too sure if it was a pocket dial or something else. I could hear noise in the background and then it hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Managed to talk to a scammer today who called from 083 at 13:38.

Calls coming from India using Dept of Social Protection as their cover

What number the calls are coming from is immaterial. It's just a fake number and means nothing,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive been getting two or three a day for the last two weeks.
    Never had one before that.
    Always a different number, but most of them leave an automated message telling some dept or another is pressing charges against me.
    Two were surveys, which were well prepared when i asked them who they were, but i know for a fact from work that they are well oiled info gathering scams.
    They take the answers to the questions you give, tie them to your number and then when they have thousands sell them to other scammers.

Never ever answer a question from anyone who calls you that you dont know personally. All the various ones are tallied up and can all be linked to you once a key piece of data is found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

whiterebel wrote: »

I had the same yesterday. Some fella in Donegal rang me as he missed a call from my number. Sound fella as it happens. His number was very similar to mine - same prefix (087) & same first 4 digits.

Eventhough I had not got the scam calls myself before, in the hour after he rang me - I got two of them. I answered the first and it was some automated speel in an Indian accent - Press 1 to sort out (I didn't). The second one I missed.

Funnily enough both were from different numbers but both of them were very similar to my own number in the same way the fella from Donegal's number was (i.e. Same prefix and same 1st 4 numbers).

Advertisement