Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

About them vegans lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

_blaaz wrote: »
    The end product is very good and probably among the best in the world......but theres alot of unethical practices regarding shooting bull.calves hanging about it

Overuse of fertilizer/slurry and animals being pushed to their limits in terms of output and reduced lifespans to maximise profits....painting dairy farming as poster child for animal/envirnomental welfare is setting the bar very low

Nobody in Ireland is shooting bull calves. The department would be all over that if it were happening. People have no idea regarding the traceability of animals and how the department follow up on irregularities in even small issues.

As for cows being pushed hard, I’m not sure what you mean, yes they are treated well and fed well this helping them produce tontheir maximum, but it’s not wrong to treat and feed animals well.

As for fertiliser and slurry, yea they are issues with intensive farming and over and over I’ve voiced concerns about hyper intensive farming, I don’t like that. I’m more in favour of producing less better products and making consumers pay more for them. Views that aren’t that popular In many farming circles but I’m Not much concerned with popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Given the environmental impact of beef and dairy farming and the fact we have 9 million cows and export something like 90% of the produce, do people think we should just keep growing this sector? It's not like it's feeding the population of Ireland either.
    It reminds me of the fishing thing, our seas are completely overfished it's a bigger threat to marine life than plastic yet we can't put a ban on it because some people might be out of work. Surely we need to look at the bigger picture?

I don't know where this opinion that we produce beef in a really clean way comes from, experts say otherwise

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-agriculture-greenwashing-its-climate-impact-an-taisce-1.3855084

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/irish-dairy-farms-produce-three-times-more-emissions-than-beef-tillage-and-sheep-teagasc-37953101.html

Surely we can continue to eat meat and dairy but do we really need 9 million cows and to keep expanding indefinitely?

This post is the reason most farmers treat vegans with visceral disdain. Not an attack on you, btw, just the lazy fact free figures used when it's so dimple to actualyl check the figures.

There were 2.31m cows in Ireland in 2015, from CSO figures using Dept of Ag CMMS data.

In total, there weren't even 7m cattle in total in Ireland in 2015. Those figures wouldn't have changed much as the increase in dairy cow numbers is mostly compensated for by a reduction in suckler cow numbers and increased live exports.

On exports, we also export the majority of our pharma sector, should we also reduce that to just cater for just what's needed here? Software? Electronic components? That argument is just silly, tbh, unless you wish to have a totally closed, circular economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

This post is the reason most farmers treat vegans with visceral disdain. Not an attack on you, btw, just the lazy fact free figures used when it's so dimple to actualyl check the figures.

There were 2.31m cows in Ireland in 2015, from CSO figures using Dept of Ag CMMS data.

In total, there weren't even 7m cattle in total in Ireland in 2015. Those figures wouldn't have changed much as the increase in dairy cow numbers is mostly compensated for by a reduction in suckler cow numbers and increased live exports.

On exports, we also export the majority of our pharma sector, should we also reduce that to just cater for just what's needed here? Software? Electronic components? That argument is just silly, tbh, unless you wish to have a totally closed, circular economy.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lsd/livestocksurveydecember2017/

CSO says 6.5 million, thought I had been hearing 9 million on the radio recently.

Well given the environmental footprint involved with beef and dariy yes I believe we should be cutting down our exports.

Oh and I'm not a vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

_Brian wrote: »
    Nobody in Ireland is shooting bull calves

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there

. The department would be all over that if it were happening. People have no idea regarding the traceability of animals and how the department follow up on irregularities in even small issues.

Thing is i am a farmer,and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the system

This is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there

Thing is i am a farmer,and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the system

This is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

Nope.
    Very little shady stuff regarding traceability goes on. And that that does needs to be reported.

You had to go back to the 80’s to back up your statement showed allot.

Being around a killing hall isn’t for everyone, doesn’t mean what goes on is wrong. Many people couldn’t stand watching Surgury but doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

Nope.
    Very little shady stuff regarding traceability goes on. And that that does needs to be reported.

You had to go back to the 80’s to back up your statement showed allot.

The shooting calves happened in march lad?,i pointes out the thing in 80s to show its going on with generations?

You can rest assure tracibility and tagging is a joke as regards sheep....i put several hundred through my hands most years and worked in yards where factory buyer told young lads to make up numbers for sheep missing tags
    Being around a killing hall isn’t for everyone, doesn’t mean what goes on is wrong. Many people couldn’t stand watching Surgury but doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

I doubt very much cattle are supposed to be alive and roaring hanging up by the back leg beside other already killed cattles,and some lad had to come along and try a second time to kill em....this happens several times a day by all accounts

To.me the above is unethical and unacceptable to the extent i couldnt amd wouldnt eat meat for ages after it. (Also i now delibertely try eat all my own meat now aswel-i know this isnt realistic for most people)

The shooting calves happened in march lad?,i pointes out the thing in 80s to show its going on with generations?

You can rest assure tracibility and tagging is a joke as regards sheep....i put several hundred through my hands most years and worked in yards where factory buyer told young lads to make up numbers for sheep missing tags

I doubt very much cattle are supposed to be alive and roaring hanging up by the back leg beside other already killed cattles,and some lad had to come along and try a second time to kill em....this happens several times a day by all accounts

To.me the above is unethical and unacceptable to the extent i couldnt amd wouldnt eat meat for ages after it. (Also i now delibertely try eat all my own meat now aswel-i know this isnt realistic for most people)

Why did you do about it ?

We have a neighbor used to dealmin cull cows, often see dead cows abkut the place sometimes for weeks. Few calls to the department and he cleaned up his act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They do,because i knowm places it happened,same places used throw calves into tanks back in 80s aswell when my dad worked there Thing is i am a farmer, and know full well the tracibility issues and know what is going on as regards cheating the systemThis is before i mention what geos on in meat factories as my job brings me in and around killing halls (i went 6 weeks without eating meat over one incident i seen).....irish agri is good and safe etc....but ethically some seriously shady practices go on too....try and bury head in sand and pretend its all rosy in garden,but its not

So are you a vegan and a farmer with livestock. How's that work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Brian_ & gozunda in another thread about vegans. Posting all day long.

Cringe

Ye must have the two smallest farms in Ireland.

Gozunda - I beg of you, stop typing ‘but there you go’ in your posts. If I got €1 for every time you typed it out I could buy all the avocados in South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Cringe

Gozunda - I beg of you, stop typing ‘but there you go’ in your posts. If I got €1 for every time you typed it out I could buy all the avocados in South America.
    They must be toy farms with plastic cows and sheep.

• Advertisement

Why did you do about it ?

We have a neighbor used to dealmin cull cows, often see dead cows abkut the place sometimes for weeks. Few calls to the department and he cleaned up his act.

I done nothing tbh....whats the pint....dept to best of my knowlege have a inspector in factory killing lines??...whats the point if he/she turns a blind eye...just bycott it at the shelf is handier

.but only time i did report something was for a lad with a shed of animals and dung (like literally silage was black coming out of "pit") being fed to em....and kinda got vibe it was a waste of time tbh

gozunda wrote: »
    So are you a vegan and a farmer with livestock. How's that work out?

Except im not a vegan (have never claimed to be),

But do see what they say as mostly valid points and tbh i prefer to cut down on meat/dairy by and large use my own produce (same for veg) but tbh sometimes its handy to run to chipper for snak box etc....basically im too lazy/not into food/different tastes enough to seek out veganism.....wish i was better person tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Really??? Complete bullcrap. Btw I did not call anyone here a 'bitch'. However - you called your vegan 'friend' a bitch if you remember! You also funnily enough call yourself electro~bitch and yes that is "apt" imo given your level of vicious and frankly nasty comments.

Heres you calling one of your vegan friend(?) a 'bitch'

Lol and those few othet comments against for example this - absolute vicious ****e dripping with bile.

The anger and nastiness and personal comments are all yours electro~bitch. And more importantly complete and utter horse****e and untrue - and all of that just because you do not agree with what I post in defence of farming and those who chose to eat meat as part of their diet. Then you get upset about a meme someone posts wtf? Yes you and those usual nasty and puerile vicious comments can be seen for what they really are.

Btw as you quoted it - this is what I replied to the first part of the above puerile crap.

So that is correct - I don't like your tone or the pathetic comments. But you know what I dont care eitherway as I expected no better tbh. And no I dont care if you are a vegan or whatever.

Dude I've been defending farming here, I've barely seen you saying anything substantive about farming, it's just this sort of furious ranting against what you're now calling plant advocates.

That first paragraph is nonsense too "I didn't call you a bitch, I'm just saying that bitch is an apt term for you" okey dokey.

I wasn't upset or worked up or whatever about that meme, I was bored by a tired joke being barfed in to a thread.

As I said I was pretty amused to see your name popping up in the thread, it's funny seeing you call anyone who responds to you angry, vicious etc when it's impossible to read your posts in anything than the voice of a man with steam literally coming out of his ears. However I seem to personally get under your skin to the point where you're seeming genuinely unhinged rather than amusingly, incoherently and impotently worked up over nothing so maybe take your own often repeated advice and pop me on ignore? You're going to give yourself a stroke.

I'll keep you off ignore myself because your posts are funny and it's nice to see the rehabilition work you do for the public image of vegans. We should give you commission really!

Dude I've been defending farming here, I've barely seen you saying anything substantive about farming, it's just this sort of furious ranting against what you're now calling plant advocates.
    That first paragraph is nonsense too "I didn't call you a bitch, I'm just saying that bitch is an apt term for you" okey dokey.I wasn't upset or worked up or whatever about that meme, I was bored by a tired joke being barfed in to a thread.
    As I said I was pretty amused to see your name popping up in the thread, it's funny seeing you call anyone who responds to you angry, vicious etc when it's impossible to read your posts in anything than the voice of a man with steam literally coming out of his ears. However I seem to personally get under your skin to the point where you're seeming genuinely unhinged rather than amusingly, incoherently and impotently worked up over nothing so maybe take your own often repeated advice and pop me on ignore? You're going to give yourself a stroke.
    I'll keep you off ignore myself because your posts are funny and it's nice to see the rehabilition work you do for the public image of vegans. We should give you commission really!

Lol. You do write some complete utter rubbish.

Btw you called yourself Jamari Defeated Plantation or are you denying that as well? I'm sure others have pointed that out ...

Multiple vicous petty nasty little personal posts directed at little old me but nothing to do with the thread and all over several pages lol.

Yeah you're obsessed and to quote directly "you're going to give yourself a stroke" ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The mental home seems to be missing a patient!

archer22 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The mental home seems to be missing a patient!

^^^^^^^^ More bs from the "opinionated vegatable eaters" of the OPs thesis?

You really are the gift that just keeps giving. Attack farmers, attack those who are not vegan and make derisory comments about the disabled. Fairly sick tbh.

Then none of that is surprising tbh. But you couldn't feking make it up either. The level of eejitery in this comment takes some beating.

Edit: oh look ....

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Cringe

You could buy even more avocados if you got €1 for all the times he has said ‘I’ve nothing against vegans or people who don’t want to eat meat’

^^^^^^^^ More bs from the "opinionated vegatable eaters" of the OPs thesis?

You really are the gift that just keeps giving. Attack farmers, attack those who are not vegan and make derisory comments about the disabled. Fairly sick tbh.

Then none of that is surprising tbh. But you couldn't feking make it up either.

Mate you keep posting comments and deleting em after a while when noone bites and try again with something different

What your upto here is obvious

Mate you keep posting comments and deleting em after a while when noone bites and try again with something differentWhat your upto here is obvious

Why the snark? What's wrong with that post? Dont like it? Tbh all I see is more bs replies from angry posters?

But no need - I didnt get back to your post as the internet signal can be poor.
    Except im not a vegan (have never claimed to be),
    But do see what they say as mostly valid points and tbh i prefer to cut down on meat/dairy by and large use my own produce (same for veg) but tbh sometimes its handy to run to chipper for snak box etc....basically im too lazy/not into food/different tastes enough to seek out veganism.....wish i was better person tbh

Ok you are not a 'vegan' and you farm. Imo a lot of that which has been written about farming on this thread is pure rubbish tbh. A whole load of posters have had to point this out. Being vegan does not provide some divine understanding of farming. And from other threads its obvious that much of the rubbish spouted about farming relates to the US and elsewhere.

What you personally choose to cut down or otherwise is your own business imo. But I find it a bit odd that you link morality (with what you think you should be eating - not that has anything to do with anything btw) and believe that might make you a "better person". Especially as you farm livestock. Just seems your work appears to be at odd with your opinions and views about farming. For me I'd find that very strange tbh.

• Advertisement

This is entertaining :)

What's wrong with that post? Dont like it? Tbh all I see is more bs replies from angry posters?

Nothing...except your goading people for no reason....your previous deleted post (which was poor enough taste) didnt get any bite....so you tried again

If you keep goading looking for negative replies,youll have no bother getting em....i just dont see why you want that hassle

Nothing...except your goading people for no reason....your previous deleted post (which was poor enough taste) didnt get any bite....so you tried again
    If you keep goading looking for negative replies,youll have no bother getting em....i just dont see why you want that hassle

So something got deleted. Get a grip - it simply was a reply to even more rubbish like above. Cant even remember what it was tbh.

But bullcrap. I'm not the one writing about mental hospitals and other rubbish. Go get your facts straight. Why you not criticising those comments eh?

Btw you missed the second part of my post above. I had to post it as the signal here can be poor. Dont like that then I dont give a proverbial.
    And yeah it's quite clear now you are trying to stir ****e tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

Nothing sadder than the people who get all butthurt about vegans. Oh yeah, I forgot. The men's rights activists.

Bull****. I'm not the one writing about mental hospitals and other bull****. Go get your facts straight.

Btw you missed the second part of my post above. I had to post it as the signal here can be poor. Dont like that then I dont give a proverbial.
    And yeah it's quite clear now you are trying to stir ****e tbh.

Why are you cursing at me??

I wasnt critising your post??

I was critising you writing a post,getting no reaction,so deleting it and trying again with a different post

You can eff and blind at me all you want mate,but accusing someone of stiring sh1te when you post confrontational posts,but delete and retry for reaction with another different post is just making you look silly

Feel free to report my post and a mod can come in and confirm/deny the existance of said deleted post

Do you not notice that Brian, Buford and other posters don't get nearly the pushback you do? How can you say you get the reaction you do just for sticking up for farming? Sure you were saying you were having a go at me because I'm slagging off farming, read my posts in this thread, I'm not.

It's like a guy wearing a blue hat who walks into a bar, starts pushing people, shouting, breaking glasses and then thinks people are rounding on him because of the fcuking hat.

And that's an ANALOGY I'm not accusing you of that.

• Advertisement

I fear for you blaaz.

Fair play if you are from a farming background and for being open and honest but the antivegans of boards won’t thank you for it.

They’ll probably go after you. I’ve noticed a few nice souls from the farming industry being shut down by the vocal few.

Some practices are best kept quiet.

Have you the time to reply to several people attacking you that seem to have a lot of free time ?

Boards has taught me that farming may actually be quite the life. Not the dawn ‘til dusk job I’d always been told it was. Maybe if you get the subsidies and farm size right it’s an easy enough life.

Would love to see some monthly and annual breakdowns on subsidies received and for what reasons.

I fear for you blaaz.

Fair play if you are from a farming background and for being open and honest but the antivegans of boards won’t thank you for it.

They’ll probably go after you. I’ve noticed a few nice souls from the farming industry being shut down by the vocal few.

Some practices are best kept quiet.

Have you the time to reply to several people attacking you that seem to have a lot of free time ?

Boards has taught me that farming may actually be quite the life. Not the dawn ‘til dusk job I’d always been told it was. Maybe if you get the subsidies and farm size right it’s an easy enough life.

Would love to see some monthly and annual breakdowns on subsidies received and for what reasons.

Sure let them....ive never actually encountered anyone who cares about what others eat,be they vegan or normal (i guess??)

Afaik agriland.ie sometimes has the top 10 figures released for subsidies paid out....but theyd be mostly like releasing CEOs wages and thinking everyone earns similar

If lad looked hard or cared enough they could probably track down who gets what as regards subsidies as its taxpayer money at end of the day,someone has to account for it???

Do you not notice that Brian, Buford and other posters don't get nearly the pushback you do? How can you say you get the reaction you do just for sticking up for farming? Sure you were saying you were having a go at me because I'm slagging off farming, read my posts in this thread, I'm not.
    It's like a guy wearing a blue hat who walks into a bar, starts pushing people, shouting, breaking glasses and then thinks people are rounding on him because of the fcuking hat.

You are the gift that just keeps giving lol.

Indeed Brian has already been lambasted by one of your little friends. And yes even Buford has been targeted by similar in other threads. So no that bull**** doesnt wash lol.

The difference is I've stood up to your bullcrsp and you dont like that lol. But then this happens in other threads as well. Boo hook.

Yeah you stopped "slagging" of farmers when you thought you were going to get caught out with your attacks. You really just cant help yourself. It doesnt matter you are a laughing stock now as the thread is titled "
    "them vegan lads" "opinionated vegetable eaters"

Heres an analogy. It's like a bunch of kids in kindergarten who keep fighting, screaming and biting the other kids and then think the adults are nasty and unfair when these tantrums are pointed out as bad behaviour.

I fear for you blaaz. Fair play if you are from a farming background and for being open and honest but the antivegans of boards won’t thank you for it.
    They’ll probably go after you. I’ve noticed a few nice souls from the farming industry being shut down by the vocal few. Some practices are best kept quiet. Have you the time to reply to several people attacking you that seem to have a lot of free time ? Boards has taught me that farming may actually be quite the life. Not the dawn ‘til dusk job I’d always been told it was. Maybe if you get the subsidies and farm size right it’s an easy enough life. Would love to see some monthly and annual breakdowns on subsidies received and for what reasons.

But Klopp - Blaaz says he is a farmer. And as you are you implying all farmers of being lazy clunts who get lots of grant's and subsidies - the way you accuse every other farmers on other threads of the same.

But then you seem to hate all farmers. You've said that more or less often enough. And posting, and thanking this type of stuff at all hours of the morning and night. Would love to see some breakdown of monthly and annual how that type of thing is supported tbh.

Theres no "antivegans" (sic) just those that dont like the rubbish that some post lol - as highlighted by the OP. But you know that.

I wonder is his condition caused by eating too much meat?...might be consuming dangerously high levels of it.

• Advertisement

But Klopp - Blaaz says he is a farmer. And as you are you implying all farmers of being lazy clunts who get lots of grant's and subsidies - the way you accuse every other farmers on other threads of the same.

But them Klopp you hate all farmers. You've said that often enough. And you are posting, and thanking this type of rubbish at all hours of the morning and night. Would love to see some breakdown of monthly and annual breakdowns how that type of thing is supported tbh.

Theres no "antivegans" (sic) just those that dont like the rubbish that some post lol including the OP. But you know that.

I don’t think it’s healthy to interact with you.

I’ve no interest in receiving pm’s, from you, asking me if I’m gay so I won’t respond to your posts.

I don’t think it’s healthy to interact with you. I’ve no interest in receiving pm’s, from you, asking me if I’m gay so I won’t respond to your posts.

Lol. Right back at you mate. Dont reckon that type of rubbish reply is healthy at all. Wtf are you on about??? - don't know who you think was asked about being gay or otherwise. But you've clearly been listening to rubbish again Klopp. Why in the world would you send a PM? Can you not use reply? No worries if you cant btw. Why so concerned about farmers in a different country though - they are not doing you any harm are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I can't feel any health benefits, but there is a psychological benefit knowing I'm not hurting animals.

It doesn't hurt them so much as annoy them a little, but the hens aren't thrilled when you take the eggs. Not annoyed enough to peck you full force, but they'll say **** about you behind your back.

kowloon wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt them so much as annoy them a little, but the hens aren't thrilled when you take the eggs. Not annoyed enough to peck you full force, but they'll say **** about you behind your back.

They'll say **** about anyone though.

As I said, I grew up in the country and I'll tell you, hens are gossipy kunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Here is one question that no vegan has answered yet.

If the world food supply chain was to collapse (nuclear war, meteor, shift of the poles or zombies for example), could you survive on a 100% vegan diet using only Irish grown foods. Zero imports from outside the isle of Ireland?

I doubt it!

You should keep ducks tbh. They are much more zen like. They don't give a proverbial if you take the eggs or otherwise. Great at eating slugs and other pests tbh. And more importantly ducks don't go in for that type of crap imo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

prinzeugen wrote: »

If the world food supply chain was to collapse (nuclear war, meteor, shift of the poles or zombies for example), could you survive on a 100% vegan diet using only Irish grown foods. Zero imports from outside the isle of Ireland?

I doubt it!

Are you sure this has not already happened, the zombie part?

rom wrote: »
    Are you sure this has not already happened, the zombie part?

I am starting to wonder.. Glued to mobiles wandering around in heards like sheep.. Do zombies eat sheep?

If the zombies come I am getting a data plan and going vegan. I can resemble a lamp that a dog has pissed up against a few times! The light from the phone and the cabbage farts might just fool them!

Or I will just look up Instagram, give them the phone and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You should keep ducks tbh. They are much more zen like. They don't give a proverbial if you take the eggs or otherwise. Great at eating slugs and other pests in the garden tbh. And more importantly ducks don't go in for that type of crap imo ;)

The ducks I've had were fine but some of the drakes were a bit cantankerous. One in particular used to get all tough and nippy, but only from the other side of the gate. The trick was to to pick him up and tell him he was a good duck and embarrass him on front of the girls.

The ducks I've had were fine but some of the drakes were a bit cantankerous. One in particular used to get all tough and nippy, but only from the other side of the gate. The trick was to to pick him up and tell him he was a good duck and embarrass him on front of the girls.

Lol an embarrassed drake !

Ah ok - agreed

In the avian world ducks are omnivores and will eat anything - slugs, grass, weeds, worms, bettles - you name it and they are in general peace loving denizens of the farmyard.

Geese - who as planteaters only eat grass and weeds but are otherwise vicous cnuts and will happily have a go at a full grown human, dogs, sheep, you name it ...

What gives?

• Advertisement

Sheep? A term for people that follow whatever they are told without question.

Humans are the same. One person does something, other will do the same. "They are doing it so it must be OK".

I am starting to wonder.. Glued to mobiles wandering around in heards like sheep.. Do zombies eat sheep?

If the zombies come I am getting a data plan and going vegan. I can resemble a lamp that a dog has pissed up against a few times! The light from the phone and the cabbage farts might just fool them!

Or I will just look up Instagram, give them the phone and run.

Indeed there are such things as zombie sheep ;)

Have you watched the film "Black Sheep"? A tale of Zombified sheep in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

They'll say **** about anyone though.

As I said, I grew up in the country and I'll tell you, hens are gossipy kunts.

Did you have roosters? I like roosters. I learned about real alpha males from roosters. I spent time on a farm in America and every night I'd have to throw a bowl full of carrot shavings and the like into the enclosure, which was full of about nine hens and one big rooster.

They'd all come flocking toward the fence when they saw me. You'd think the rooster, being the biggest, would go hell for leather and start bullying the little ones amid the shower of carrot shavings, but it was quite the opposite. He often wouldn't get much of them; not because he didn't like carrot shavings you understand, but because if he was about to dig in, and a hen came up behind him, he'd yield and let her eat them, as if to say, 'Go ahead girl. I'll find another pile' and the same would happen again when he did. I remember thinking, 'Damn, this is a leader, an alpha'.

He could be selfish and eat everything in sight, given his size, but he eats last, like real leaders. He was a class act. I say 'was' because unfortunately a big nasty raccoon broke into the pen one night and devoured every single one of them, but I like to believe that the rooster, with those big fish-hook claws of his, landed a few blows of his own before succumbing. In fact I know he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I doubt it!

You could, assuming you eat eggs and dairy.

Otherwise it might be hard (impossible?) to get your protein requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You could, assuming you eat eggs and dairy.

Otherwise it might be hard (impossible?) to get your protein requirements.

You can get all the protein you need from nuts, and it pays well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

F*ckin hell, some of ye actually spent all night arguing this nonsense. Good commitment!
    Yeah and allegedly those involved in agriculture and horticulture do not know what they are talking about. We must defer to those who like to get stoned for horticultural and agricultural advice. Right so I'm off to grow bananas ...

You don't know what any of us do and you don't know what our habits are. Expected though, it seems to be your general tone when arguing.
    How can farms expand.
    The price of land exceeds the profit that can be made on it, possibly excluding dairy.

Plus you can’t make people see their land. I’m landlocked by 5 bachelors none would sell a sq meter.

You figure it out Brian, like all other industries do.

F*ckin hell, some of ye actually spent all night arguing this nonsense. Good commitment!

Yeah funny that. It was mostly nonsense for sure. ;)
    you don't know what any of us do and you don't know what our habits are. Expected though, it seems to be your general tone when arguing.

Well that was clearly a tongue in cheek reply who did indeed reckon that they knew more than a whole bunch of experts in horticulture etc. It goes without saying none of us know each other! But seriously do you have to deliver each comment with ad hominem and bring that to the 'discussion'? Really no need to copy a small number of other idiots who do that crap as a pastime is there?

But hey knock yourself out setting up your cannabis farm. Come back and tell us how you are getting on. I would certainly be interested in that.

Aye will do, G.

Would be odd considering I never suggested it but whatever you reckon yourself. Must be busy on your farm this week.

Aye will do, G.

Would be odd considering I never suggested it but whatever you reckon yourself. Must be busy on your farm this week.

Good. If it was legal - I'm sure there are some who might risk the investment of millions in fully operational growhouses. But no I'm happy with what I do tbh. But yeah doing some necessary paper work atm - no rest for the wicked eh? Anyway I presume you must be busy in work - but thats none of my business I'm sure your agree.

• Advertisement

If it was legal - I'm sure there are some who might risk the investment of millions in fully operational growhouses.

That's basically what I said yesterday, glad to see you're onside.

Wasn't this a thread about vegans?

Advertisement