Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy railway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IE 222 wrote: »
    A simple change of the points to bypass the bay platform and skipping Ballybrophy altogether would knock at least 10 mins of a direct trains journey time. I reckon they could do it for less than €5k. A few more track upgrades should allow 50/60MPH throughout. All in all that should reduce travel time on the branch by 40 mins.

You are probably closer to 1m-1.6m than 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Simple change of the points? I think you are confusing the layout of the junction at ballybrophy. In order to skip the station altogether, a new loop would have to be built to meet the main line heading north. The Nenagh branch currently converges facing south

Might be a bit different but the current track and frame work will do the job. The land is already cleared. It really isn't a big job.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You are probably closer to 1m-1.6m than 5k.

To move and rearrange track work already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1-1.6M is a fair estimate, probably on the low side...

Would need major changes to the legacy CTC interlocking and need Roscrea made a fringe to CTC or otherwise you would have to stop anyway to find the manual staff

Would need major changes to the legacy CTC interlocking and need Roscrea made a fringe to CTC or otherwise you would have to stop anyway to find the manual staff

Before I posted I said 1.8-2.5m but revised down because I didn't know enough!

Isn't the current access to mainline from the bay, you have to pass the signal at danger. Remember reading on here a movement around there where you must pass on red with permission.

• Advertisement

How can they not use the current interlocking. Can the staff not be handled in Ballybrophy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

To move and rearrange track work already in place.

Yes. This isn't Transport Tycoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

How can they not use the current interlocking. Can the staff not be handled in Ballybrophy?

You cannot access the Ballybrophy branch or the bay from Portlaoise

So you need a new facing crossover installed, its a 100mph section so thats 60kg/m P&C on concrete bearers, easily 500k job

Move the signals around, alter the 1976 interlocking etc. SET would probably opt to replace the 1976 gear with a SSI/CBI and tie it into the SSI/CBI at the Port Laois depot to eliminate the 1976 gear over the entire section. Its made worse as Ballybrophy station is the point where the 1986/7 equipment joins the 1976 equipment.

If you want a direct curve then the point is not to stop, the current train staff allows only a single train so if two trains in the same direction you have to taxi the staff back, so again easier just fringe Roscrea with CTC, if you introduced ETS would have to stop and collect a token,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

It really does require significant investment to improve the line. Of course this should have been going on over the last few decades.

Would €10m investment have it at comporable speeds and usefullness to rail users to other lines in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

There's overlap discussion of this in the photo thread which is worth reading alongside. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056341985&page=214

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

91wx763 wrote: »
    There's overlap discussion of this in the photo thread which is worth reading alongside. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056341985&page=214

more quality shots from the Wanderer. That guy deserves a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Isambard wrote: »
    Agreed about the photos but I meant that in between Wanderers posts there are good posts about Ballybrophy's silly signals !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Isambard wrote: »

Feel free to throw one my way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This line is closing on sunday, due to service reductions related to COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Limerick Junction to Waterford is the same.... Just a temporary measure yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm sure that suits IE's closure agenda nicely. The line seems to be closed more often than it's open these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Is it just closed on Sundays? or closed from Monday for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Service is suspended while the emergency timetable is in place.

A few pictures from the Nenagh evening branch train today and loadings appeared to be very light.

Click https://bit.ly/3dxxjW9 to view.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Limerick Junction to Waterford is the same.... Just a temporary measure yes?

For an undefined concept of temporary.

I would not expect it to reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

L1011 wrote: »

I fear I'm with you on that opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

L1011 wrote: »

The NTA will pop their corks at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The NTA will pop their corks at that.

no doubt about it i would say.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I would strongly encourage you all to contact local councillors and TD's regarding this - - Irish rail would no doubt love to quietly wash their hands of the line in future if we're not careful.

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/05/20/waterford-to-limerick-junction-rail-service-to-be-restored-in-time/#.XsZTBxjTUwB

This and the Lmk Junc-Waterford line are still not operating since March... Can't even book tickets til the end of August.

Really sad to see Irish Rail show such disregard for two underused railway lines. No doubt they'd rather have them closed completely.

Could easily be a good commuter and tourism potential there if they were given a usable timetable and promoted more.

Even the station buildings are being left to rot. Historic 1860's footbridges closed off or badly rusted.

Just sad.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1291448880006135810?s=19

Not sure what they mean by this but I wouldn't put it past them at this stage to use Covid as an excuse to shut the Ballybrophy - Lmk and Waterford - Lmk lines completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/1291448880006135810?s=19

Not sure what they mean by this but I wouldn't put it past them at this stage to use Covid as an excuse to shut the Ballybrophy - Lmk and Waterford - Lmk lines completely.

Did they let their true intentions slip there? Combine that with illogical track work currently underway on the Nenagh branch.......

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Did they let their true intentions slip there? Combine that with illogical track work currently underway on the Nenagh branch.......

No they didn't. Both are in the journey planner from 30 August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »

What illogical track work?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No they didn't. Both are in the journey planner from 30 August.

Yep, heard something similar today myself....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement