Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy railway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Classic CIE game of spending big bucks on repairs and then closing the line just afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Classic CIE game of spending big bucks on repairs and then closing the line just afterwards.

But the line isn't closing. See previous posts.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »

And what’s your point. How is this work illogical?
    You might have an opinion that this work is illogical but that’s all it is, an opinion. Just because you think it doesn’t make it a fact.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Really hope this line remains open. I think it will. Recent track works give us hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Really hope this line remains open. I think it will. Recent track works give us hope.

I noticed a track machine at work on the other threatened line (near Carrick on Suir)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Isambard wrote: »
    I noticed a track machine at work on the other threatened line (near Carrick on Suir)

That is good to hear.
    Of course much routine work is done by machine. Last year I saw a tractor cutting (mutilating) the hedge at Carrick on Suir, right up to the level crossing gates

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Could the line operate a small regional type train like in EU countries. With added access and more stops. It passes through Annacotty Which has a big population and loads of Jobs nearby. Add a stop there and maybe at the city East side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Limpy wrote: »
    Could the line operate a small regional type train like in EU countries. With added access and more stops. It passes through Annacotty Which has a big population and loads of Jobs nearby. Add a stop there and maybe at the city East side.

it's already a 2 car railcar isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

loyatemu wrote: »

yes

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »

Yes 2 old school ones. The European ones are similar size but more modern, to fit bikes and standing passengers ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Yes 2 old school ones. The European ones are similar size but more modern, to fit bikes and standing passengers ect.

There no shortage of space on them there is plenty of room.

It needs more stops. Cant it functions efficiently like a luas?

More stops where?

What it needs is a timetable change and a couple more services along with infrastructure improvements such as line speed increases. Ideally the route should be served by Portlaoise depot in my opinion as the bulk of users would be commuting in and out Limerick.

IE 222 wrote: »
    More stops where?

What it needs is a timetable change and a couple more services along with infrastructure improvements such as line speed increases. Ideally the route should be served by Portlaoise depot in my opinion as the bulk of users would be commuting in and out Limerick.

Servicing Limerick city. Add a stop near the M7 /old Dublin road junction, Annacotty business park, Moonaleen, Eastway business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

More stops where?

100% agree with this. The end of the line East to West should be Portlaoise to Limerick. Ballybrophy being the end of the line is one of the reasons the line is struggling.

Speed increases between Nenagh and Limerick are badly needed too, investment in upgrading the line more than upkeep and maintenance is badly required. An annacotty or UL station would make a lot of sense.

Servicing Limerick city. Add a stop near the M7 /old Dublin road junction, Annacotty business park, Moonaleen, Eastway business park.

Apart of some Limerick rail network yes but not for the Neagh line.

Deedsie wrote: »
    100% agree with this. The end of the line East to West should be Portlaoise to Limerick. Ballybrophy being the end of the line is one of the reasons the line is struggling.

Speed increases between Nenagh and Limerick are badly needed too, investment in upgrading the line more than upkeep and maintenance is badly required. An annacotty or UL station would make a lot of sense.

Again unless there is a major investment been made in the Limerick region rail network I can't see any major improvements coming anytime soon.

To serve UL the line would need to be rerouted. Line speed improvements up to consistent 50/60 mph running should be easily achievable without major improvement works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

What would the journey times be like if you routed Dublin-Limerick services via this line? Would it be competitive?

AngryLips wrote: »
    What would the journey times be like if you routed Dublin-Limerick services via this line? Would it be competitive?

3 hours give or take 10mins depending on stopping pattern between Portlaoise and Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

3 hours give or take 10mins depending on stopping pattern between Portlaoise and Dublin.
    How long, if they straightened, removed all the crossings, (possibly double tracked), and upgraded it to the same quality track as the Cork line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Double tracking ? If you got the time down on the ballybrophy / limerick section would you need it double tracked , ?
    Would there be much benefit to limerick people ( or any to Irish rail ) to travel via nenagh rather than limerick junction )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Rulmeq wrote: »
    How long, if they straightened, removed all the crossings, (possibly double tracked), and upgraded it to the same quality track as the Cork line?

No need to go to all that expense.

There isn't much difference between the 2 lines, going via the jct is only about an extra 5 miles in distance compared going via Neangh. Once you factor in the less stops via the jct and when using the curve that line will always be the quickest route. It would be an awful lot cheaper, quicker and more beneficial to bump Limerick - JCT to 90mph and double tracking. That would shave about 10mins of the current direct services.

The branch will always be a branch but that doesn't mean it can't have direct Dub - Lim services. Its main purpose is to serve the local towns rather than serve as a second "express" line between the 2.

I think a journey time of 2.5 hours city - city would be acceptable, (passengers from Limerick would travel via jct so really its Castleconnell - Dublin 2hrs 10mins roughly). Get the line up to a 60mph limit and remove the Ballybrophy bay with a direct route to the main line and this is easily achievable.

It would be an awful lot cheaper, quicker and more beneficial to bump Limerick - JCT to 90mph and double tracking. That would shave about 10mins of the current direct services.
    I've never understood why this hasn't been done already. Are there a lot of level crossings, or expensive lands they can't purchase along the line?

The branch will always be a branch but that doesn't mean it can't have direct Dub - Lim services. Its main purpose is to serve the local towns
    Faster, double tracking would also serve them better (but there's other lines that would need upgrading long before this line)
    rather than serve as a second "express" line between the 2.
    I'm a great believer in redundancy, but I guess bus replacements are fine for the size of Ireland.

I think a journey time of 2.5 hours city - city would be acceptable
    I strongly disagree, I can drive it in just over 2 hours (I do it in less, because I'm not leaving from Dublin), intercity trains should always beat cars. We've figured out that our roads didn't have to follow their ancient paths, why are we unable to figure out that rail lines don't have to follow their victorian paths either.

I've never understood why this hasn't been done already. Are there a lot of level crossings, or expensive lands they can't purchase along the line?

Faster, double tracking would also serve them better (but there's other lines that would need upgrading long before this line)

I'm a great believer in redundancy, but I guess bus replacements are fine for the size of Ireland.

I strongly disagree, I can drive it in just over 2 hours (I do it in less, because I'm not leaving from Dublin), intercity trains should always beat cars. We've figured out that our roads didn't have to follow their ancient paths, why are we unable to figure out that rail lines don't have to follow their victorian paths either.

Doubling Limerick - Jct is apart of long term plans. The level of traffic doesn't quite justify it just yet. There was talk of a freight flow from a potential mine, not sure where that stands currently. I believe doubling the line would be apart of receiving this flow. No point wasting money upgrading speeds if its potentially going to pulled apart again for doubling. Can't see land been a problem. About a 1/4 of the line is already doubled if you include the loops and double tracking around the jct ect.

Again I can't see the benefit of doubling Neangh line. Galway, Waterford, Sligo all single track with higher frequency and able to cope. The branch will never see demand of 20 plus trains a day and if it did its only a 52 mile or so section and will have passing loops if needs be, at stations.

I think 2 and a bit hours is reasonable to be honest giving it's not a main line. Obviously over the years infrastructure been removed or upgraded on other lines such as automated LC, track, could be recycled and reused on the line, as is the case currently, which will naturally speed things up and bring the journey times down without major upgrade works.

Other than straightening the line at Borris in Ossory to run direct to the main line and avoid Ballybrophy altogether I don't see where else you can or need to reroute the line to. It needs to serve the towns it does or else its pointless using it.

Other than straightening the line at Borris in Ossory to run direct to the main line and avoid Ballybrophy altogether I don't see where else you can or need to reroute the line to. It needs to serve the towns it does or else its pointless using it.
    I like that idea - could put a station in Borris instead of Ballybprophy and have the next stop in Portlaois (it solves all the difficult crossings they have at Ballybrophy as well)

I like that idea - could put a station in Borris instead of Ballybprophy and have the next stop in Portlaois (it solves all the difficult crossings they have at Ballybrophy as well)

That alone would knock about 10mins off the journey but would be costly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

Tuesday October 27th to Sunday November 15th
    Due to engineering works the Limerick to Ballybrophy Line will be closed from Tuesday October 27th to Sunday November 15th  inclusive.
    The following train services will not operate for the duration of the engineering works:
    06:30hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Monday to Saturday)
    10:05hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Monday to Saturday)
    16:55hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Monday to Saturday)
    19:05hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Monday to Saturday)
    17:20hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Sunday)
    19:45hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Sunday)

The following services will operate as bus transfers between Nenagh and Limerick (Monday to Friday) for the duration of engineering works:
    07:45hrs Nenagh to Limerick calling at Birdhill and Castleconnell (Monday to Friday) 
    16:55hrs Limerick to Nenagh calling at Castleconnell and Nenagh (Monday to Friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

seekers wrote: »
    Tuesday October 27th to Sunday November 15th
    Due to engineering works the Limerick to Ballybrophy Line will be closed from Tuesday October 27th to Sunday November 15th  inclusive.
    The following train services will not operate for the duration of the engineering works:
    06:30hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Monday to Saturday)
    10:05hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Monday to Saturday)
    16:55hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Monday to Saturday)
    19:05hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Monday to Saturday)
    17:20hrs Limerick to Ballybrophy (Sunday)
    19:45hrs Ballybrophy to Limerick (Sunday)

The following services will operate as bus transfers between Nenagh and Limerick (Monday to Friday) for the duration of engineering works:
    07:45hrs Nenagh to Limerick calling at Birdhill and Castleconnell (Monday to Friday) 
    16:55hrs Limerick to Nenagh calling at Castleconnell and Nenagh (Monday to Friday)

With the current covid pandemic restrictions, people are generally not crossing county boundaries. So the unfortunates affected are the residents of Cloughjordan who are away from the main road, but still need to get to roscrea or Nenagh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭seekers

tabbey wrote: »
    With the current covid pandemic restrictions, people are generally not crossing county boundaries. So the unfortunates affected are the residents of Cloughjordan who are away from the main road, but still need to get to roscrea or Nenagh..

Interesting to note that there are no bus substitutions. Only for the nenagh service which will be faster by bus anyways

Advertisement