Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration of Stormont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

Before anything happens I will give you my view then. Lest you accuse.

I am bitterly disappointed that an ILA has not been achieved, I think it is a sickening insult to our language that it is to be treated the same as a dialect. A fascinating and in many ways beautiful dialect, but a dialect just the same. It is so close to how I speak and pronounce, I could be fluent in it by tomorrow lunchtime.

My heart says to SF to hold out, my head says that that would not serve the people well at this stage. The DUP's cultural bigotry still pertains and will take some more dismantling. I am convinced that will happen.

I am happy for now that SSM and Abortion Rights have been achieved and with what has been achieved for the language here. A decent hard working commissioner will soon show up the absurdity of treating the two as 'equal' in stature.

Hey - Just on the bold bit? Iv been searching for this online and i cannot find evidence for it, could you throw me a link?

- genuinely curious because if the Irish Language is to be treated officially as a dialect - that is insulting, and i say that as someone who is not an Irish Speaker - but someone who recognizes it as a language none the less. Certainly no one could argue that it is a dialect

Thanks in advance

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 67,082 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

liamtech wrote: »
    Hey - Just on the bold bit? Iv been searching for this online and i cannot find evidence for it, could you throw me a link?

- genuinely curious because if the Irish Language is to be treated officially as a dialect - that is insulting, and i say that as someone who is not an Irish Speaker - but someone who recognizes it as a language none the less. Certainly no one could argue that it is a dialect

Thanks in advance

I wonder have you misunderstood me?

I think Ulster Scots is a dialect/minority language not a language akin to Irish with the wealth of depth and literary content. By giving Ulster Scots the same stature I think that insults the Irish language. It is my opinion so no link.

So Jamie is now going to endorse the UUP - fascinating - :D:pac:

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1215688845934637057

Jamie is an abandoned ship looking for a harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

I wonder have you misunderstood me?

I think Ulster Scots is a dialect/minority language not a language akin to Irish with the wealth of depth and literary content. By giving Ulster Scots the same stature I think that insults the Irish language. It is my opinion so no link.

Ok so rather then relegating Irish to the status of a dialect - this deal actually elevates Ulster Scots to the status of a language -

I understand now - tbh if it were me i would let them have it - it seems many Unionists/loyalists dont care about Ulster Scots

https://twitter.com/mcbronto/status/1215681545350078466

This is a retweet from a Unionist on JB's twitter feed

I agree with you in principle, Ulster Scots is NOT a language but even still - better to just get back to business in the Assembly

Happy to chat

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

Ok so rather then relegating Irish to the status of a dialect - this deal actually elevates Ulster Scots to the status of a language -

I understand now - tbh if it were me i would let them have it - it seems many Unionists/loyalists dont care about Ulster Scots

https://twitter.com/mcbronto/status/1215681545350078466

This is a retweet from a Unionist on JB's twitter feed

I agree with you in principle, Ulster Scots is NOT a language but even still - better to just get back to business in the Assembly

Happy to chat

Yeh, well as I said, a half decent Commissioner won't be long showing up the absurdity.

Imagine a road sign with this on it:

Irish BÉAL FEIRSTE
    English BELFAST
    Ulster Scots BELFAST.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So Jamie is now going to endorse the UUP - fascinating - :D:pac:

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1215688845934637057

With Jamie there's always a reverse tweet so I'm going to assume he opposed them going in to opposition the time they did it with the SDLP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jamie is an abandoned ship looking for a harbour.

You're too kind in your assessment.

I would describe him in many other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Nationalist / Republican Parties:

Same sex marriage legalised
    Abortion legislation.
    Irish language recognised and protected.
    The Good Friday Agreement protected from the worst of Brexit.
    Majority of MPs returned to Westminster

Unionist Parties:

Fly are flegs for 3 extra days a year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unionist Parties:

And a forest to commemorate 100 years of NI. Which can just be claimed to be an environmental works thing a few years later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pleased to see it looks sorted despite naysayers such as Allister and Bryson. Hopefully the Irish language won't be disrespected by the DUP again in future. Next big challenge now will probably be the fallout from the RHI report which is due in the coming weeks I understand.

Nationalist / Republican Parties:

Abortion legislation.

Unionist Parties:

It's the bottom line really. It's only heading one way...to a normal society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Would you Adam and Eve it? I almost fell down the apples and pears :)
    I always thought they used Ulster scots as an excuse to block the ILA, but sure, no issues. It'll be great laugh. Unfortunate about the tax money going on it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

No more nicknames please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Lady Lou got the message following two disastrous elections and a steady drop in the polls.

She had stated she would not accept Foster at the helm because of the cash for ash scheme (no mention of that now) but now she eats the vomit in the hope that the toxicity of SF comes to an end as she faces a general election,the result of which will determine whether or not she retains the leadership.

A few sleepless nights facing Lady Lou.

So shes a sell out for making concessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's a joke

Ulster Scots isn't even a language nor a regional dialect

Matt, she was never going to be in a win position either way with some people.

This list puts it into perspective.

Abortion legislation.

Unionist Parties:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

On the contrary,she is desperate to hold on to the leadership after a couple of dreadful elections.

Sinn Fein have compromised for a long time now and their "republicanism" is just a flag of convenience.

One time they did not recognise the government,the courts,the police and the army of the republic,now they recognise everything including the border.

The leadership gave half hearted support to the liberal agenda pushed through by Vrad even though many SF supporters ,particularly away from the urban centres are conservative,catholic nationalists .

NiRiada's vote and the very poor vote received by the party in the European and local elections shows that voters do not know what to make of the party now and the overwhelming desire by the leadership to be accepted by FF and FG as coalition partners is difficult for supporters to stomach.

On the contrary,she is desperate to hold on to the leadership after a couple of dreadful elections.

Sinn Fein have compromised for a long time now and their "republicanism" is just a flag of convenience.

One time they did not recognise the government,the courts,the police and the army of the republic,now they recognise everything including the border.

The leadership gave half hearted support to the liberal agenda pushed through by Vrad even though many SF supporters ,particularly away from the urban centres are conservative,catholic nationalists .

NiRiada's vote and the very poor vote received by the party in the European and local elections shows that voters do not know what to make of the party now and the overwhelming desire by the leadership to be accepted by FF and FG as coalition partners is difficult for supporters to stomach.

Try that 'one time' excercise with every other party in the state. They all evolve all the time.

Imagine telling a Fine Gaeler in the 1940's that a gay FG Taoiseach of Indian heritage would be presiding over a country where men could legally marry men and women could mary women, women could have contraceptives, divorce and abortions a Unionist leader would be going to GAA matches and a SF leader would be shaking the hand of a British Monarch.
    They would be committing you to a mental health facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a joke

Ulster Scots isn't even a language nor a regional dialect

It won't matter. Its just for show as no one is going to take it up or use it.
    Unlike Irish where I'd expect to see a growth in Gaelscoils as one example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Matt, she was never going to be in a win position either way with some people.

This list puts it into perspective.

Abortion legislation.

Unionist Parties:

SF obviously losing their way to victory all these years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

My quick thoughts:

Despite not having to do very much Sinn Fein have came out with quite a few wins from this.

Martin McGuinness stepped down because of Foster's implication in RHI. I think SF have pissed all over his legacy somewhat by returning to government with Foster and no official published outcome from the RHI enquiry. This has largely been swept under the rug.

DUP have badly painted themselves into a corner and are just starting to catch a glimpse of their inevitable decline. Because of this they are very dangerous and could topple Stormont. They would much rather burn the place down than compromise. They will not take kindly to being without a majority for the first time since partition. I could also see them shift further to a hardline stance to try and claw voters back.

The "No Surrenders" aka JB and co are also very dangerous and I can foresee a contentious 12th this year.

Stormont is still comprised of about 90% of the same people and forgive me if I don't see this as some kind of new dawn. It's a very fragile alliance and I wonder if we can even make it to the summer without some kind of scandal.

The first stages of Brexit are happening on January 31st and nobody really knows what the fallout will look like yet.

It won't matter. Its just for show as no one is going to take it up or use it.
    Unlike Irish where I'd expect to see a growth in Gaelscoils as one example.

Indeed. Ulster Scots and the interest in it was always a minority one until David Trimble panicked in 1985 (inclusion of the Irish Language was a redline issue back then) and directed the setting up of The Ulster Society.

weemcd wrote: »
    My quick thoughts:

Despite not having to do very much Sinn Fein have came out with quite a few wins from this.

Martin McGuinness stepped down because of Foster's implication in RHI. I think SF have pissed all over his legacy somewhat by returning to government with Foster and no official published outcome from the RHI enquiry. This has largely been swept under the rug.

DUP have badly painted themselves into a corner and are just starting to catch a glimpse of their inevitable decline. Because of this they are very dangerous and could topple Stormont. They would much rather burn the place down than compromise. They will not take kindly to being without a majority for the first time since partition. I could also see them shift further to a hardline stance to try and claw voters back.

The "No Surrenders" aka JB and co are also very dangerous and I can foresee a contentious 12th this year.

Stormont is still comprised of about 90% of the same people and forgive me if I don't see this as some kind of new dawn. It's a very fragile alliance and I wonder if we can even make it to the summer without some kind of scandal.

The first stages of Brexit are happening on January 31st and nobody really knows what the fallout will look like yet.

The place to be when the RHI report is published is Stormont imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    SF obviously losing their way to victory all these years!!

There is credit to be given to other parties as well for achieving some of the things in that list no doubt.

TBH I don't really care who achieves it for my fellow Irish people as long as it is achieved.
    If the resurgent SDLP don't stand for those people and instead continue to take their knighthoods and stand idly by, they will fall back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw a tweet from Simon Coveney thanking his department of foreign affairs team and there was a picture of the team and himself and the most shocking thing was that for a platform like twitter where it can be a toxic place especially for politicians and the like it was surprisingly positive. And I read all the way down and mostly positive.

I'm just worried what will happen the next time either of the DUP or Sinn Fein get the hump over something and the assembly falls. You'd hope that cooler heads would prevail in the future but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

SF Alex Maskey elected as new Speaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭hawley

Hopefully they will acknowledge Lyra's death when the new assembly convenes. She inspired a lot of young people in NI who are advocating for change. It would be a nice gesture if the main parties come together to honor her legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

About bloody time.

No doubt they decided to start on a Sat so they could get the double time OT weekend rate.

Let's hope they can actually make some progress on the issues affecting the country going forward.

Advertisement