Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoration of Stormont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Amazing with all this talk of a border poll and a United Ireland that SF would at this time go back into Stormont and prop up the failed northern state?? It makes me think that there are those at leadership level in SF who don't really want a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Amazing with all this talk of a border poll and a United Ireland that SF would at this time go back into Stormont and prop up the failed northern state?? It makes me think that there are those at leadership level in SF who don't really want a UI.

As a supporter of a UI, I am very happy for SF to go back into power sharing and to get the provisions of the GFA back up and running again. There is a real payoff ahead from January 2021 when the front stop kicks in and a real division (for the economic advantage of NI) kicks in across the Irish Sea. But in the short term the people of NI need and deserve local representation and it is important that the GFA is functioning as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Anyone listen to Jamie Bryson on Nolan earlier this morning. Donaldson was also on earlier

In fairness if you check his Twitter feed, it basically exemplifies his opinion
    • No compromise what so ever
    • No Irish Language Act
    • Amend or outright revoke the GFA/Power-Sharing

Granted he is the extreme edition of the current incumbent version of 'Political Unionism/Loyalism', but there will be a large number of supporters who will see this as a sell out

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1215583089411358720

I can only speak for myself but i think the deal is fair enough, and might actually work in getting Stormont up and running again

But if for any reason it doesnt work - i think an election is the best way forward. And the election should require all politicians to make their stance on this deal clear to the electorate

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 67,252 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

liamtech wrote: »

I can only speak for myself but i think the deal is fair enough, and might actually work in getting Stormont up and running again

But if for any reason it doesnt work - i think an election is the best way forward. And the election should require all politicians to make their stance on this deal clear to the electorate

I agree, it is as fair as the deal Arlene walked away from before with some tweaks.

I still think equating the Irish Language to Ulster Scots is a massive insult, but in saying that I think an Irish Language Commissioner will very quickly show up that absurdity simply because of the depth and cultural richness he/she has to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    Fact: Sinn Fein sought a standalone Irish Language Act

Fact: Proposed deal does not contain a standalone Irish Language Act

No spin necessary when the facts are clear.

Fact: If they had refused to compromise, you'd be the first on here blaming them.

Think you made a fair point on motives though. Election looming, there's nothing about this agreement which couldn't have been put in place years ago. Until the threat of a serious election hammering was in place, neither DUP nor Sinn Fein would budge an inch. Fear greased a few wheels.

I'd echo sentiments that the fact that vocal elements from both sides (the sort of folk who are never happy) are calling it out as a massive coup for 'themmuns' means it's probably somewhere in the middle, and a reasonable compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Fact: If they had refused to compromise, you'd be the first on here blaming them.

Think you made a fair point on motives though. Election looming, there's nothing about this agreement which couldn't have been put in place years ago. Until the threat of a serious election hammering was in place, neither DUP nor Sinn Fein would budge an inch. Fear greased a few wheels.

I'd echo sentiments that the fact that vocal elements from both sides (the sort of folk who are never happy) are calling it out as a massive coup for 'themmuns' means it's probably somewhere in the middle, and a reasonable compromise.

Who constitutes the vocal elements among the nationalist population?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As a supporter of a UI, I am very happy for SF to go back into power sharing and to get the provisions of the GFA back up and running again. There is a real payoff ahead from January 2021 when the front stop kicks in and a real division (for the economic advantage of NI) kicks in across the Irish Sea. But in the short term the people of NI need and deserve local representation and it is important that the GFA is functioning as intended.

They've done just fine without local representation for the last 3 years I doubt the county council on the hill is going to change much as far as I can see this move by SF has killed any momentum behind a border poll why would any soft u Unionist or even well to do nationalist vote for a UI when there's a functioning northern state?

Who constitutes the vocal elements among the nationalist population?

While theres no one quite as prolific as, say Jamie Bryson for the imbalance between noise and importance, I presume you're not implying these types don't exist in the Nationalist community too?

While theres no one quite as prolific as, say Jamie Bryson for the imbalance between noise and importance, I presume you're not implying these types don't exist in the Nationalist community too?

Who is tweeting the same kind of stuff from the Nationalist community? I genuinely can't think of a similar figure.

I am not saying that there is not but you made the claim that there is a similar commentary on the nationalist side so I am wondering if this is something that you witnessed or is it just a token comment some people feel the need to make about one side being as bad as the other

• Advertisement

I am not saying that there is not but you made the claim that there is a similar commentary on the nationalist side so I am wondering if this is something that you witnessed or is it just a token comment some people feel the need to make about one side being as bad as the other

Well most of my life living there is a fairly broad base of experience, so yes it is something I witnessed regularly.

While he might (bizarrely) have quite a large audience, the way Bryson talks isn't far off many conversations I heard from the other side in The Felons or Roddys while I lived in West Belfast.

I'd go so far as to say that anyone who has lived in the North for any length of time and NOT witnessed this is either living in a bubble or lying.

You're barking up the wrong tree on the, 'one side as bad as eachother' lark and all - I'm quite openly Republican.

Well most of my life living there is a fairly broad base of experience, so yes it is something I witnessed regularly.

While he might (bizarrely) have quite a large audience, the way Bryson talks isn't far off many conversations I heard from the other side in The Felons or Roddys while I lived in West Belfast.

I'd go so far as to say that anyone who has lived in the North for any length of time and NOT witnessed this is either living in a bubble or lying.

You're barking up the wrong tree on the, 'one side as bad as eachother' lark and all - I'm quite openly Republican.

I agree you will hear all sorts of comment on the ground. But I think it is important to distinguish that from somebody openly agitating on social media the way Bryson is and Willie Frazer was. Bryson is using his platform to bring dissent together physically too.

I may be out of touch, but I genuinely cannot think of a like figure 'on the other side'

I am referring specifically to the deal on offer and your earlier comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Another part which has not been mentioned is the case revolving around Emma DeSouza will be now be changed as eligible family members of the people of Northern Ireland will be able to apply for UK immigration status on broadly on the same terms as the family members of Irish citizens in the UK
    https://twitter.com/EmmandJDeSouza/status/1215580853969063941

Scoundrel wrote: »
    They've done just fine without local representation for the last 3 years I doubt the county council on the hill is going to change much as far as I can see this move by SF has killed any momentum behind a border poll why would any soft u Unionist or even well to do nationalist vote for a UI when there's a functioning northern state?

Well you’re entitled to your strong take on the matter anyway, and it’s unlikely anything I write will change your mind.

There’s currently a health crisis in NI, we’ve had a tragic paramilitary death within the past 12 months, and the front stop provisions due to come into law at the end of the month depend on a functioning assembly.

In the longer term, a UI is based on demographic shifts and the economic and political fortunes of Ireland vs the U.K. over a longer time period. Ireland is a richer and more prosperous country per head for now, and if that continues in the decades to come support for a UI will grow.

A border poll in the short term with the Irish aspect of Brexit resolved is not realistic. But assessment of it or its prospects is not tightly coupled to this deal imo.

I am referring specifically to the deal on offer and your earlier comment

Have a look on Twitter, no shortage on both sides moaning about Themmuns getting everything.

No idea where you've got the idea that moaning about the other side is somehow unique to Unionists.

Have a look on Twitter, no shortage on both sides moaning about Themmuns getting everything.

No idea where you've got the idea that moaning about the other side is somehow unique to Unionists.

There's no shortage of comment from both sides here either. What you haven't demonstrated is that there are figures like Bryson and the late Willie. Bryson is actively recruiting now and holding rallies and meetings.

There's no shortage of comment from both sides here either. What you haven't demonstrated is that there are figures like Bryson and the late Willie. Bryson is actively recruiting now and holding rallies and meetings.

Why the bejaysus would I demonstrate that?! What does it have to do with the any statements I made?

"I'd echo sentiments that the fact that vocal elements from both sides (the sort of folk who are never happy) are calling it out as a massive coup for 'themmuns' means it's probably somewhere in the middle, and a reasonable compromise."

This is what I was 'pulled up' for. I said vocal elements from both sides were calling it out. I've no idea what relevance you think Bryson has to whether that is an accurate statement (it is). I specifically referenced how bizarrely large Bryson's audience seems to be, so I've no idea how you pulled from my posts that I was claiming anything to do with a Bryson figure or Frazer figure on the Nationalist side. I think you're having an argument with some imaginary statement, Francie.

Why the bejaysus would I demonstrate that?! What does it have to do with the any statements I made?

"I'd echo sentiments that the fact that vocal elements from both sides (the sort of folk who are never happy) are calling it out as a massive coup for 'themmuns' means it's probably somewhere in the middle, and a reasonable compromise."

This is what I was 'pulled up' for. I said vocal elements from both sides were calling it out. I've no idea what relevance you think Bryson has to whether that is an accurate statement (it is). I specifically referenced how bizarrely large Bryson's audience seems to be, so I've no idea how you pulled from my posts that I was claiming anything to do with a Bryson figure or Frazer figure on the Nationalist side. I think you're having an argument with some imaginary statement, Francie.

Keep the hair on.

You said that those 'types' exist in the nationalist community. I said, I wasn't aware of a similar figure agitating and mobilising on social media and asked for an example.
    If you are clarifying to say that is not what you meant, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Keep the hair on.

You said that those 'types' exist in the nationalist community. I said, I wasn't aware of a similar figure agitating and mobilising on social media and asked for an example.

If the boys in Belfast decide this afternoon not to accept it, I am sure that Twitter will be rife with people agitating and mobilising on social media against it from a nationalist viewpoint. We await the white smoke.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    If the boys in Belfast decide this afternoon not to accept it, I am sure that Twitter will be rife with people agitating and mobilising on social media against it from a nationalist viewpoint. We await the white smoke.

Before anything happens I will give you my view then. Lest you accuse.

I am bitterly disappointed that an ILA has not been achieved, I think it is a sickening insult to our language that it is to be treated the same as a dialect. A fascinating and in many ways beautiful dialect, but a dialect just the same. It is so close to how I speak and pronounce, I could be fluent in it by tomorrow lunchtime.

My heart says to SF to hold out, my head says that that would not serve the people well at this stage. The DUP's cultural bigotry still pertains and will take some more dismantling. I am convinced that will happen.

I am happy for now that SSM and Abortion Rights have been achieved and with what has been achieved for the language here. A decent hard working commissioner will soon show up the absurdity of treating the two as 'equal' in stature.

SF happy to reenter power sharing, well done to Coveney.

Before anything happens I will give you my view then. Lest you accuse.

I am bitterly disappointed that an ILA has not been achieved, I think it is a sickening insult to our language that it is to be treated the same as a dialect. A fascinating and in many ways beautiful dialect, but a dialect just the same. It is so close to how I speak and pronounce, I could be fluent in it by tomorrow lunchtime.

My heart says to SF to hold out, my head says that that would not serve the people well at this stage. The DUP's cultural bigotry still pertains and will take some more dismantling. I am convinced that will happen.

I am happy for now that SSM and Abortion Rights have been achieved and with what has been achieved for the language here. A decent hard working commissioner will soon show up the absurdity of treating the two as 'equal' in stature.

I wouldn't accuse you of anything. Your heart may be misguided, but you wear it on your sleeve and that's fair enough. Agree to differ on the importance of formal recognition of the language. Aside from my general reservations about the importance of the language, any formalising and codifying of differences doesn't help the North, so personally I am disappointed they did anything at all.

On a more technical point, I understood from the proposals that there would be two Commissioners, surely it would be hard to find someone who spoke both minority languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Not really impressed with the current Sinn Fein leadership. Think Colum Eastwood, Claire Hanna and Nichola Mallon are better calibre politicians. Don't rate Michelle O'Neill or Mary Lou McDonald to be as effective, wonder in the absence of Adams and McGuinness the SDLP will make gains in the upcomming years, big shoes to fill. Think there is a weakness there with SF.

Keep the hair on.

You agree that those types exist in the Nationalist community. I didnt mention anything about similar figures to Bryson, so I have nothing to clarify. Exactly what I meant is written. You may have inferred something from what I wrote, but it certainly had nothing to do with the posts I actually made.

I genuinely can't see your point of contention with anything I said, it seems to be with something you've added to my posts in your head.

You agree that those types exist in the Nationalist community. I didnt mention anything about similar figures to Bryson, so I have nothing to clarify. Exactly what I meant is written. You may have inferred something from what I wrote, but it certainly had nothing to do with the posts I actually made.

I genuinely can't see your point of contention with anything I said, it seems to be with something you've added to my posts in your head.

I don't after you clarified.

I think this 'Unionist veto' thing is a bit of scaremongering. Any concerted or prolonged blocking (a major problem in Stormont since the GFA) will now be transparent to all.

The only way to achieve the last bit of dismantling DUP cultural bigotry is to play the long game and snooker them into change. Like the AIA and the GFA they were boxed into a corner on those and couldn't get out.
    Interesting comment from Mary Lou on the radio there, the Welsh Language act is on it's 7th iteration (I didn't know that) and continued activism has progressed it to where it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

So Jamie is now going to endorse the UUP - fascinating - :D:pac:

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1215688845934637057

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Advertisement