Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unionists and a United Ireland.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Doubt your assumption is compatible with the rise of English nationalism to be honest.

If Scotland goes I doubt the English will see any point in business as usual and will leave themselves.

So you would just have Wales and NI in the UK?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

arctictree wrote: »
    So you would just have Wales and NI in the UK?!

Well, yeah if they wanted to continue but it would be a busted arrangement with no economic or political rationale.

My guess is the English would pull the plug without the Scots.

There is no logic to it continuing without the Scots in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/02/01/assorted-thoughts-on-the-realities-of-border-polling-and-reunification/

Came across this article on a united Ireland.

"So if no reunification, then what ? I think the truth is that what happens will be a little boring. Northern Ireland will slowly, by osmosis, move away from the UK and towards Ireland and Europe as businesses and populations follow the path of least resistance. Over time, the Irish government and the EU will, in the background, influence more and more of the decisions taken here in line with its national interest, with the British government quietly rubber-stamping where it needs to.

We will, I suspect, end up settling into a comfortable groove, looking something like a joint protectorate of Ireland and the UK – technically and officially part of one, practically part of the other, always in dispute but with most people getting on with their day to day lives as usual."

Article also gives a good insight into the mechanisms of the GFA indicating how far we actually are away from having a border poll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement