Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unionists and a United Ireland.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

If Scotland do leave the UK, which is looking more likely than ever after the last couple of years, I'd be absolutely astonished if NI did anything other than remain in Union with England and Wales.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    If Scotland do leave the UK, which is looking more likely than ever after the last couple of years, I'd be absolutely astonished if NI did anything other than remain in Union with England and Wales.
    How would remaining in a Scotland-less UK benefit NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm not suggesting that NI would stay with England & Wales, but if they did then I guess they would benefit greatly as their piece of the financial pie (The Barnett formula) would increase!

Scotland's financial loss would be NI's gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

I'm not suggesting that NI would stay with England & Wales, but if they did then I guess they would benefit greatly as their piece of the financial pie (The Barnett formula) would increase!
    You would expect that formula to be removed or changed in the event of the second largest nation leaving the union. All my money on it, Westminster (i.e
    The English elite) would grab the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Scotland's financial loss would be NI's gain?

Doubt your assumption is compatible with the rise of English nationalism to be honest.

If Scotland goes I doubt the English will see any point in business as usual and will leave themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

How would remaining in a Scotland-less UK benefit NI?

I didn't say it would.

However, the huge majority of NI business is with the rest of the UK. Leaving that block (even of either leave) would be a vast upheaval. That's not even thinking about the public sector, NHS and who knows what else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I don't think I have ever read anything quite like this. Never mind him indulging in the typically DUPish quirk of lashing out at anything 'themuns' did in the most disparaging and unconnected way to make light of DUP mistakes, his uncritical and simpering need for redemption for the DUP is a sight to read. Not to mind his echoing of some opinion here 'Lie down everyone else, these people will come good eventually...'
    I don't think it's gonna be a Happy New Year for poor Tommy. :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2019/1230/1103562-northern-ireland/?fbclid=IwAR2m6io38y9sG30q3UehRWEKiQXzQWOAG_Y1SKASzoIXWoFFBV4XOVgm15s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tommy Gorman, can anybody even understand his own particular brand of gobbledygook? OMG he just rattles on in the most obscure fashion before he finally gets to the topic, usually about two thirds into the mire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I didn't say it would.

However, the huge majority of NI business is with the rest of the UK. Leaving that block (even of either leave) would be a vast upheaval. That's not even thinking about the public sector, NHS and who knows what else.

NI does a lot of business with GB, but some of the figure you see are a fraud as they count trade with the UK, including NI itself. In any case trade will continue, just as the ROI will do a lot of business with GB. In the last year NI is doing less business with GB and more with the rest of the world and this will continue, as GB will not be thriving.

• Advertisement

Tommy Gorman, can anybody even understand his own particular brand of gobbledygook? OMG he just rattles on in the most obscure fashion before he finally gets to the topic, usually about two thirds into the mire...

This was particularly meandering. It seems he knows where he's going in his own head, but whether it's a fuller article that gets clipped to meet word limit or otherwise it translates poorly. Still get the gist of it... but, you'd expect more clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

Doubt your assumption is compatible with the rise of English nationalism to be honest.

If Scotland goes I doubt the English will see any point in business as usual and will leave themselves.

So you would just have Wales and NI in the UK?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

arctictree wrote: »
    So you would just have Wales and NI in the UK?!

Well, yeah if they wanted to continue but it would be a busted arrangement with no economic or political rationale.

My guess is the English would pull the plug without the Scots.

There is no logic to it continuing without the Scots in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/02/01/assorted-thoughts-on-the-realities-of-border-polling-and-reunification/

Came across this article on a united Ireland.

"So if no reunification, then what ? I think the truth is that what happens will be a little boring. Northern Ireland will slowly, by osmosis, move away from the UK and towards Ireland and Europe as businesses and populations follow the path of least resistance. Over time, the Irish government and the EU will, in the background, influence more and more of the decisions taken here in line with its national interest, with the British government quietly rubber-stamping where it needs to.

We will, I suspect, end up settling into a comfortable groove, looking something like a joint protectorate of Ireland and the UK – technically and officially part of one, practically part of the other, always in dispute but with most people getting on with their day to day lives as usual."

Article also gives a good insight into the mechanisms of the GFA indicating how far we actually are away from having a border poll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement