Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Follow the leader

• 30-12-2016 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I have been threatening to start a log for a while now so here we go:
    Me: male/mid 30's
    I had being taking part in the race series for a number of years 5m/10k/10m.. would class myself as a sunshine runner March Aug.. gave up soccer 3 years ago and committed to running more and ran dcm '14, came home in 3:41, was gutted to miss out on 3:40 target but driven to improve so went again in '15 following a runcoach plan.. target was 3:30 came home in 3:28... this year I doubled up with berlin and Dublin.. aimed high and fell short.. I was disappointed in Berlin 3:26:16 but picked up some valuable pointers from fellow boardies in the after race debrief.. I was running my lsr too fast and I was encouraged to start a Log!! And some wise words krusty posted" I had to convince the mind and body that I didn't peak in berlin", I went out and ran 3:24 in dcm'16.. in hindsight I was never on for 3:20 berlin
    So my goals for 2017 will be to have another bash at3:20 in Berlin as well as improve my other times
    5k 20.03
    5m 33.30
    10k 42.20
    10m 70.30
    Half 1.33.50
    I have a few goal races to help keep me focused in the short/medium term.... raheny 5 , bohermeen half
    Feel free to offer advise and hopefully you get to enjoy my Journey!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Your pretty much where I aiming to get this year, except 3.20 Marathon
    3.30 will do, best luck and look forward to seeing your progress this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

29/12
    Having been couped up in the house and hotel over Xmas just wanted to get out and run.. havent ran in a few days..no particular speed or tempo in mind,just wanted some breeze in the face and air in the lungs.. ended up doing a fartlek session.. just picking random points to stretch the legs then slow down for a bit...
    Ended up with doing 6.5miles @7.33avg hr/avg 155

30/12
    Legs felt a bit heavy after yesterday but I had planned a steady st. run with a pal..
    We did 1 mile easy 8min/mile then upped it for 5miles keeping it between 7:10-7:25 rounded off with 1k cool down
    6.66miles @7.30 avg hr/avg 157

31/12
    Decided at last minute to take in today's final park run of the year,the legs felt heavy after previous 2 days efforts and motivation was minimal..it was to be my running buddy's first parkrun..
    3miles easy up to park 3m@8:12
    Parkrun: my pal took off fairly fast and after a half mile I let him go, the extra lead in the legs wasn't helping matters..felt ok but one paced,decided to try keep it @7min miles.. came home in 21.30 so mission achieved
    3.1miles @ 6:55avg
    Easy run home,
    3@8:18
    Today's total 9.1miles
    6@8:15avg
    3.1@6:55
    As u can see already, no real structure to the runs, but hoping to change that in the new year..
    Happy new year folks
    Run hard/run smart/run happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

quick feet wrote: »
    I was running my lsr too fast and I was encouraged to start a Log!!
    29/12
    Ended up with doing 6.5miles @7.33avg hr/avg 155

6.66miles @7.30 avg hr/avg 157
    31/12
    Today's total 9.1miles
    6@8:15avg
    3.1@6:55

Welcome to the logs! The sample size isn't much so far, but it looks like you're going relatively fast all the time. That's three days in a row of what I'd consider to be fast enough stuff. Do you do much recovery and easy running?

Also I reckon your goals are a little bit conservative, with well structured consistent running you should kick on a bit (unless you continue the multiple marathoning habit :) ).

Cheers for the input singer, tbh the last 3 days are a mess , no structure.. I mainly run solo but I was just meeting up with pal yesterday so jumped in on his plan.. I usually do easy n longer the weekend, we were undecided on a route today so took in parkrun..as for times
    My goals for the forthcoming year will be:
    1) run sub 3.20 marathon, currently (3:24)
    2) 1.30 half....... (1:33:50)
    3) sub 70 for 10 mile (1:10:30)
    4) sub 41 10k (42:20)
    5) sub 19:30 5k (20:03)
    I hope to run 3-4 times a week.. 1 easy 1 speed/tempo 1 long
    Also recovery runs are non existent, easy runs occasional !!! And yes I will b hoping for multiple marathon s again this year berlin and Dublin..

• Advertisement

I hope to run 3-4 times a week.. 1 easy 1 speed/tempo 1 long
    Also recovery runs are non existent, easy runs occasional !!! And yes I will b hoping for multiple marathon s again this year berlin and Dublin..

If you're going to change one thing, do a recovery run the day after your long run or session. Try and do no faster than 9:30/mile (I struggle with this myself!). You'll feel better as a result and it helps out on the training side. If you could do 5 days a week, with at least 2 easy/recovery runs a week you should destroy those PBs.

1/1
    Started off the new year on good footing by taking a rest day ,legs felt heavy after previous 3 days running!! Instead wife,myself and kids headed the park for a walk n catch some of the Tom brennan 5k,it was great to see has fast and smooth some of the leading runners do be..
    2/
    6miles at easy pace avg 8:02m/m

3/1
    Gym session.. squats/pull ups/bench press/deadlifts
    4/1
    Speed session
    Plan was to do 5 laps of a local park(.72miles) with 2min rest after each lap.. wasn't feeling it at all.. 1k warm up then jumped straight in..laps were timed@4:30/4:36/4:39/4:37 at least there consistant
    Bailed early as the motivation was zilch plus was cutting it tight to collect the kids..
    Totaled 4.5miles @8:39
    I got avg hr. Of 124 maxing at 155,maybe the cold weather is messing up the hr sensors

5/1
    Slow run 2.75m @ 8:30 min/mile to the gym then Olympic lifting fundamental class

7/1
    The wife decided she was taking the kids to parkrun so I took advantage of a free hour.
    Did a progression run
    1mile @8:00/7:40/7:30/7:15/6.55
    Finished off with 1.5mile cool down
    Today's total 6.5miles @7:40 per mile avg.. avg hr 149

8/1
    A nice mild morning to get out and log up some easy miles. Managed to get in 10.5miles @8:15 avg.. avg hr 134 nothing major to report about the run ,aimed to keep all miles above 8min mile

• Advertisement

Having a disappointing week so far on the running front:
    9/1
    Tried a yoga class for a change,hope to get a few more classes in to help aid recovery
    10/1
    A comfortable 4mile run with some Strides thrown in for good measure, 4 sets of Strides ranging from 30-40 secs
    4 miles @7:43 avg avg hr 136
    12/1
    With the snow falling and wind chill I was dreading this but thankfully it wasn't as bad once I got out in it..
    An easy 3.65m @8:14 avg
    hr was 116, not sure how correct it was of if cold weather effects hr on watch..
    Also did oly weight lifting class

13/1
    Today's run was tougher than I intended..
    Aimed to to 5miles between 7:10-20.. we headed to the phoenix park, 1 mile easy to get going(8:00m/m)..starting at c.knock gate with the wind in our back headed around by North Road, picked up the pace quite comfortably and managed to clock 7:15 for the next mile, around by the back of the zoo and across to Wellington monument in another 7:15 happy enough with how we were travelling but the next 2 miles were to be a struggle,heading uphill into the wind towards the s-bends next mile was 7:20,this felt like a push, the following mile was a complete struggle,down the s-bends and up the upper Glen road.. the wind and gusts felt quite strong and I struggled, really disappointed with this mile and clocked 7:32..remaining mile back to the car was steady and this was at 7:36, hell of a lot easier than the previous mile as we where sheltered from the wind.. today's miles 8:00/7:15/7:15/7:20/7:32/7:36..
    Total 6:22 @7:28 avg

14/1
    Left Hamstring felt a bit tight after yesterday's exertions, opted for a little recovery 5k from blanchardstown village down to c.knock gate and back..
    Nice cool morning for it
    5k@ 8:45 avg

15/1
    Easy Long run..
    Usual route but added another mile at the end, hoping to increase this in the coming weeks..no issue with the Hamstring while running but throbing once I got home!!
    11.5miles @8:10avg

I've printed off hal Hindon advanced half so going to try follow something similar in the lead up to bohermeen, I can't always get out 5 times a week..

16/1
    Rest..-hungover
    17/1
    Did some intervals/speed session
    2k warm up then
    4×800... 4x400
    Was good to get out early and get it over with.. target was to do the 800s in 3:14 taking 90 seconds recovery.. reps came in at
    3:13/ 3:15/ 3:16/ 3:14 turns out the loop is a little over 800 as it measured .53miles.. so happy enough with consistant pace ,although at times felt tough
    2mins rest then onto
    4x400
    Wasn't too sure on the rest period between reps so took between 45-55sec
    Felt a lot easier mentally as it was just a straight path. Reps came in at
    1:04 / 1:08/ 1:04 / 1:05 also turns out route measured .21miles so a little under 400meters.
    Also Hamstring felt ok,no tightness
    Happy enough with the session
    5.6miles @8:15avg

18/1
    Having changed things about this week I find myself with 2 hard runs back to back..tempo run 40mins
    1mile easy 3miles hard plus cool down..got a little carried away and ran the hard miles too fast although partly downhill..
    1mile @8:02 3 fast 6:44 / 6:36 /6:37 ..... .8 easy @8 mm
    Plus a few sets of squats
    Total 4.8 miles
    19/1
    I've been leaving Thursday for my easy runs as I'm stuck for time during the day plus I have the oly lifting class that evening.
    3miles easy @ 8:37 avg
    20/1
    Rest day

21/1
    As im Ioosly following h.h advanced half plan today's run was a 3mile pace run so i decided to take in hartstown parkrun. I intended to run this a little quicker than half marathon pace and use it as prep for raheny5 next week. I wanted to just keep consistant miles.(6:30). didn't turn out this way,6.28/ 6:48/6:32... the middle mile is always a struggle , finished in 20:28 which in 10secs outside course pb, happy with the time as I didn't blast out of the blocks but disappointed with middle mile,not sure if it's concentration or lack of speed Training??
    1 mile warm up/ park run / then a dash to work..
    4miles total
    22/1
    Long run so decided to change the route a bit and make it a little longer. Took in some of the canal and phoenix park. A nice fresh morning with little wind. First 7 miles hung around 8m/m or a little under,didn't really look at the watch,when I realised the splits, consciously I slowed it a little to 8:15's.. put the heart monitor on to see how I'm doing.. felt good n comfortable all the way round
    13.1 @8:06 avg hr 139

23/1
    Went to see a physio for a rub down on the legs,by God this was painful. Just highlighted that I should really focus more on recovery. Flexibility is crap in ankles,hips,hamstrings!! Advised not to run today
    24/1
    Calves still felt a bit tender from yesterday's massacre, but back to the plan and it was 8X400meters.. 1 mile warm up then down to business. Reps came in at 1.13 / 1:19/ 1:23/ 1:17 / 1:19/ 1:15/ 1:21/ 1:15.. made a mess of the first 1 by stopping a few meters short, got the distance wrong. Happy enough with session bar the 1:23....rest periods were roughly 75-80seconds
    25/1
    Plan was for 3 miles easy but instead i did tomorrow's 30min tempo, won't get to run tomorrow and don't wanna do a tempo too close to raheny at the weekend, not much of a warm up 1/2mile then into 3 miles fast 6.39/6.47/6.34 too fast for tempo pace but wanted to see how I'd feel as this was/is pb pace for myself,if I could dig out 2 more miles at above avg I could be a happy man on Sunday...
    3.7miles @ 7:02 avg

26/1
    Unable to run due to family commitments
    27/1
    Nice slow easy run,ran the same route as 2 days ago and tagged a bit extra on at the end. tried to run alot slower which I found really tough.bit of a chill in the air and a strong enough headwind at times.
    4miles @8:21 avg
    28/1
    On the plan was a rest day or very easy running, with raheny5 tomorrow, i opted to do the latter and took in parkrun with the wife. This was a mix of run/ walk so wasn't too taxing on the body..
    5k in 32 mins....

29/1
    Raheny5
    I must admit I was nervous about today,maybe it's coz this was a goal race and I was hoping on having a crack at a 7 year pb. The plan was for myself and the family to head over but with the unpredictable weather I left them at home n headed over early with a pal who had to collect a race number..arrived in plenty of time not long after 2,hung about the school for a bit b4 heading out to warm up,warm up consisted of nothing major bar a few Strides n easy jogging..I did this race last year and got backed up in traffic so this year I positioned myself closer to the top.. I was determined not to get hung up in traffic n got off to a decent start ,although running on the footpath for a while.i got dragged along in the crowd and clocked 6:24 , delighted as i intended on keeping all miles under 6:40 to achieve a pb. Onto mile 2and 3 and I was relaxed and enjoying the crowd.. I happened to be surrounded by a few raheny members and the support they were getting was unreal, it helped keep me focused too with the odd glance of the watch making sure I was on target.., clocked 6:38/6:39 for these..I hate mile 4 !! Didn't enjoy it last year, the up and back drag route in st.annes.. I forgot how long it goes on for and today it seemed even longer.. I lost a bit of concentration and ground,was passed by a few people here and am disappointed to clock 6:51, once around the bend I tried to get back on track,gained on a few that had passed and passed some others.. kept steady until we came close to the square,tried to up the ante n passed some more..looked at the clock n I was well on for the pb..just before the last bend I was at 32:4#, could I really go under 33, turned on the turbo's n passed out a few more.. finishing time was 33:07, chuffed with a pb of over 20 odd seconds but disappointed to not go under 33, aim higher next time!! It's 1 pb marked off the list for the year !

31/1
    Took a rest day following the raheny5 but now back following the hh advanced half plan..
    Today's session was4 X .5mile.. forgot what speed these were to be run at so did 5k pace... and took 75seconds rest.used the usual loop which measures .53miles and pretty much nailed the session with the reps coming in at 3:18/3:17/3:18/3:17.. 2k warm up followed by a 1k cool down
    Total 4.5miles @7:58 avg avg hr 145
    1/2
    Again 2 fast days back to back.. brought my 40min tempo run forward by a day..
    Found the 2nd and 3rd mile tough,probably working harder than I should have been, mile 2 had a steep incline,this lead into a stiff headwind for the 3rd mile..thankfully mile 4 had a nice downhill which helped the legs a little,that's 3 fast days quite close together so no wonder the legs were a bit fatigued. lt was a small warm up followed by 4.5miles @ between 6:58-7:08.. 1k cool down..
    Total 5.13 @ 7:16 avg

• Advertisement

3/2
    Decided to get out and knockout some easy miles,
    4.5miles @8:22
    4/2
    The plan was to run the parkrun @hm pace but unfortunately it got cancelled due to the icey conditions,I wasn't taking a risk running at speed as some of the pathway was bad in patches,instead I ran with an friend who's starting out on their running journey..it was slow n easy
    3.4miles@ 10:50 mile.. good catch up Though!
    5/1
    Lately I've been running my long runs with a pal, i was solo for this one and when on my own I tend to run too fast..I decided to throw the heart rate monitor on and keep the hr below 145, kept it consistently about 140 mark, creeping up to 146 when I took my eye off the ball, splits ranged from 7:55-8:45
    12.5miles @8:16 avg

7/2
    3x1 mile repeats...@10k pace //90sec Jog..
    Can honestly say I really enjoyed this run... I ran an old route in reverse and the change of scenery/gradient at different times done the world of good.. started off with a 1mile warm-up then straight into it..1 mile repeats came in at 6:52 this had a steep climb at the beginning so I worked my way Into it as I tend to go off too fast, second came In at 6:45 again felt quite comfortable and the 3rd came in at 6:38 felt really good and happy with the workout. I even threw in a final 1/2mile down the hill I originally ran up on the first repeat..@ 6.57 although this felt effortless..
    Total
    5.65m @7:22 avg
    8/2
    Headed off on an easy run after work, was hoping to get out earlier as it looked nice but wasn't to be.... just ran easy and decided not to look at the watch until I was done, was pretty pleased as I logged
    3.5miles @8:17 avg
    Miles came in at 8:20/8:15/8;16/8:18

10/1
    Set off to do some steady miles as I haven't done many lately,these turned out to be horrendously difficult..for the first mile I felt like I was running straight legged,hamstrings n glutes were so stiff from Wednesdays squats..mile2 didn't get much better running uphill into a stiff headwind,I almost threw in the towel at the end of this mile,it was a struggle, weather was crap and I wasn't feeling it, felt tougher than it should and I just ran 7:52..stubbornness got the better and I ploughed on, miles 3 and 4 felt a little easier as the wind died down and I had the help of a downhill section,the final mile I felt somewhat better than the previous4!
    5 Miles came in at 7:24,7.52,7.26,7.16,7.16 for an avg of 7:27 per mile..
    11/1
    Parkrun 20:24 only 6 seconds outside my parkrun pb and felt Comfortable all round, think I'm finally getting used to this high paced stuff.. hope to improve on that pb over the coming weeks .. we were missing some of the faster runners so I was out on my own for most.. the lead guy was nearly out of sight and I wasn't being chased down by any1..finished 2nd,onwards and upwards!!

12/2
    After a few beers the night before,the long run was now down to an easy run.. managed 7 miles @8:10 avg..
    14/2
    Last week's session left me on a high so I decided to repeat it plus more.. 4 ×1mile with 90 seconds recovery @6:35 pace.. 1 mile warm up, First repeat has a small sharp Hill managed to get thru in 6:33 feeling good, second rep was 6:33 again, third was tough,with a gradual climb and into a stiff headwind managed 6:43 a sloppy start didn't help either...wanted to finish on a high so upped final effort and finished in 6:31..
    4× 1mile @ 6.33/6.33/6.43/6.31
    Total 6.3miles @ 7.32 avg
    15/2
    Recovery Jog
    2.8 miles @8:30 avg mile
    Plus upper body weights session

16/2
    Rest
    17/2
    Finished work early and headed to the phoenix park for a change of scenery and a nice tempo run.. decided on 7@7!!! The hh plan had me down for a 15k race on Sunday but I was to be working so had to shuffle things about,..what a great day for running too, no wind, peaceful park..felt good and hit my target miles pace..although 2nd last mile was tough coming up north road towards chesterfield..no warm-up and a small cooldown/walk..
    7miles @7.01
    Total miles 7.2 @7:16 avg..
    18/2
    Back to the parkrun, only this time pushing a double buggy, didn't use a watch and went by feel..last mile felt tough.
    Finished in 25.00 3.1miles @8.01 avg
    19/2
    Long run today had to be cut short because of work
    Pace wasn't too hectic and totalled 9.25miles @8:17 avg

20/2
    Rest
    21/2
    Back to the phoenix park To run the same route as last friday only this time to take in 5X1 mile..@5k w:90 seconds recovery after each mile..1 mile warm up then 1@6:25, made a mess of the 2nd by stopping the watch instead of lap!! Guesstimated the finish 6:40 was speed although i do think it was slightly quicker.. 3rd rep was 6:28, 4th rep 6:42 this was tough up the north Rd into a stiff headwind.. 5th rep was a disaster 7:05, very strong wind/jelly legs and out of gas!! 1 mile cooldown...
    Reps: 6:25/6:40?/6:28/6:42/7:05
    Total 7.1miles @7:35avg
    22/2
    Wanted a slow run and jumped on a treadmill w/ storm Doris brewing outside
    5k in 27min @8:45avg, although I sweated buckets doing this...

23/2
    Left it late to get out and had toyed with the taught of switching today's tempo for an easier run..it was of only after 1.25m I decided to change route/suck it it up and do the tempo...ran the next 4.5m between 7-7:05, felt good and soon forgot about the negative taughts once I picked up the pace....
    6.6miles@7:25avg
    24/2
    3.5miles easy enough@7:48... slightly faster than planned..
    25/2
    Threw on the hr for today's long run to see how I'm doing...although quite blustery it was a decent morning especially with the sun in your face.. along the canal and through phoenix park,totalled 12.1m
    12.1miles @ 8:13m/m .... avg hr 134
    26/2
    Rest

28/2
    Hill sprints... went down to the tolka valley between Finglas and cabra..
    First Hill: 5 sets..... times 23-25 seconds
    2nd hill: 3 sets times all 36 seconds
    3rd hill: 2 sets both 25 seconds...
    10 sets with a full recovery...
    3.9miles including w.u

Monthly milage 115.5

1/3
    A quick lunchtime run and got some steady miles in
    4.2miles @7.29...

3/3
    Tempo run..1 mile warm up then 5miles @7.. 1 mile cooldown..
    7miles @7:26avg // hr avg 154
    4/3
    Parkrun... easy enough run pushing the buggy... timed@24:4×, a little wait around then another 5k after the parkrun
    Total 6.2m @8.05avg...
    5/3
    Long run
    14 miles @8:00 // hr avg 143
    Felt good and comfortable but felt tired later on in the day.., few beers the night before didn't help matters..

• Advertisement

7/3
    6X400meters 1 min recovery...
    Splits were 1.20/1.20/1.22/1.22/1.21 pretty consistant as they where low 1.22's too
    Total 3miles @8:20 avg

8/3
    Easy run
    2.5miles @ 8:10 avg

9/3
    30 min Tempo.. 1 mile easy/2 fast / 1.4 cooldown
    2 fast miles avg were 6.30
    4.4m @ 7.29 avg

Next up is bohermeen half on Sunday, current pb stands at 1:33:51 from clontarf 2015..
    Hope to at least improve on that,training has gone well and I'm now clocking up more miles now than ever before.. would really love to get close to 1.32 tbh,I'll post the result Sunday evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Next up is bohermeen half on Sunday, current pb stands at 1:33:51 from clontarf 2015..
    Hope to at least improve on that,training has gone well and I'm now clocking up more miles now than ever before.. would really love to get close to 1.32 tbh,I'll post the result Sunday evening!!

Good luck, sounds like a class race, enjoy!

11/3
    Took in the local parkrun, decided against st racing it and stuck to the plan of 7.30miles.., felt good n comfortable although at one point I felt I was working harder than I should to maintain the pace..
    3.1 @7:31m.m.

12/3
    Race day!!!
    We arrived down in plenty of time as my friend was doing the 10k, feeling nervous as the longest tempo ive done was 7m@7m.m but optimistic about achieving the goal of 1:32... waited until everyone had left for the 10k b4 I got ready.. a few laps,some Strides then a quick stretch before I headed off down to the start.. on the way down I bumped into to an old friend..usual conversation of target times occurred n we were both aiming for the 7min mile marker..we agreed to go together..
    Everything went good, no complaints about the set-up,start or traffic.. went off in 6.52,6.57,6.59 so all was fine until mile 4, felt like a stitch coming on but it soon passed..I found it quite warm, still moving along on target 7.01,6.56,7.02..I found the stretch on the motorway tough and wasn't looking forward to this part on the second lap..still stayed steady with a 7.00,6.56 but was working harder..mile 10 was tough but I hung on for 7.04. But my pal was beginning to pull away, i couldnt keep up..Once we turned onto the motorway I got hit with the headwind and the head began to drop a little, a little disappointed that I couldn't tag on to the friend too.. 7.18, was followed by 7.16, I tried to get back on track for the last mile but hit 7.10 although I did have a great sprint to finish.. finished in 1.32.02, chuffed to have hit the 1.32 and also getting a 10mile and half marathon pb in the process... if I'm being critical I would have liked a better mile 11 &13, I could of probably dug out a handful of second especially if I had of known how close to sub 1.32 I was..
    anyway onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Big congrats on the performance today, I was out doing easy miles and noted how I would have found it tough racing with that wind.

Onwards and upwards is right, good consistency going on here, its starting to show in race times too. Keep it up !

Cheers d,
    good to see your over the injury and great race report on kinvara!!

• Advertisement

13/3
    The legs were a little stiff after yesterday's exertions, deliberated over taking the day off or doing a recovery run.. opted for the latter and did 20mins... it was quite warm n found myself sweating alot,
    2.5miles @ 8.15mile..
    14/3
    Straight back on the horse and out again for some steady miles,again it was warm but the first mile wasn't too hot 7.40, upped the ante but again found myself sweating buckets and felt ,ikea I was working alot harder than I should have been..
    5miles @7.22 m.m
    15/3
    Out for some intervals
    Was meant to be 6X800 but did 1 for the road so 7 in total..
    The target was to be close to the 3min marker for each rep w/ 90 seconds recovery...only found reps 4/6 a struggle..
    times came in at 3.03..3.03..3.01...3.02....2.59...3.01...2.50 (.47mile)
    Including warm up now cooldown...
    5.21@8.16mm

16/3
    Rest stomach felt dodgy..
    17/3
    Still not great but managed to get some easy miles in
    5.5miles @ 8.08m.m average
    18/3
    Up to do the parkrun as prep ahead of dunboyne 4 next weekend, aim was to get close to 6.30s..
    1 mile warm-up then into parkrun, started well and logged 6.22 for the first mile, second mile was into a strong headwind and I began to fade 6.43, tried to pick it up for the final mile but couldn't muster a big push again this was Into the wind.6.40.... finished in 20.20 which is only 2 seconds outside my course pb on a crappy day..
    3.1 @6.31 avg
    Upon completion of the parkrun I joined up with a pal and logged a other 10 easy miles
    10miles @ 8.17 avg
    14miles total for the day....

19-21 /3
    Been laid low with the dodgy tummy, no running

22/3
    Finally feeling human again and headed out for a tempo run, probably not the wisest decision after just getting over sickness and weather is dirt but wanted to get a decent session in before Sunday...
    2mile warm up then tempo 3.3miles @ 6.42 avg.. Happy with the effort as strong winds,rain, felt like I was getting stronger as run went on..1mile cooldown
    6.25miles @7.27m.m avg

23/3
    A late evening stroll clocking up some easy miles.. didn't bother looking at the watch until I finished..
    4.63miles @8.10 avg
    25/3
    A fab morning for a run,the plan was not to run as i was doing the dunboyne 4m the following day,so I volunteered at the parkrun, as the day went on I was itching to get out so I went for an easy 5k
    3.11miles in 25mins

26/3
    Dunboyne 4miler:
    I was more hopeful than optimistic heading into this, the intention was to Improve on last year's time of 26:12.. I was delighted to hear there was going to be 26min pacers..I arrived in plenty of time with the army in tow.. parked in the community hall, collected the race number without any fuss, chatted to one or 2 people outside then headed up to the spar with the wife n kids to stock up on some E-numbers before I headed off!! Off I went to do a warm up.. weather was fab with a bit of wind..I placed myself close to the pacers as we entered the start pen but once the crowd gathered I found myself getting pushed back further away from them.. as I crossed the start line the pacers were already about 30 meters ahead, slight panic --skip thru the crowd and before I know it I'm right behind them..I decided to jump in front of them as there's a few people about and let them push me along..first mile came n went in 6:25, second mile was out on the motorway, I stayed focused and stayed ahead of the pacers 6:28 ..once we turned off the motorway n headed back to the village I felt Comfortable although the pacers were right next to me..6.29....entering the housing estate and the final mile,in the blink of an eye the lads have opened up a gap of about 30meters, still plenty of time left but don't let the gap get any bigger, over the 800meter then 600meter marker on the corner, one last push, get ahead of the lads...little incline but I put the effort in and got level with the guys, approach the final corner and one final push, catch the 2people ahead, sprint finish and I come home In 25:50, chuffed with the time and effort, finally breaking a sub 20 5k in the process..

27/3
    Got out for a little leg loosener after yesterday's exertions,felt good and not too fatigued..
    3miles@7.33
    29/3
    Unsure of what type of run to do as I'm not following a plan nor do I have any goal races Coming up I'm kinda Iimbo a little..anyhow I decided to do the same route as the previous weeks 20 min tempo, only in reverse and extend it to 30mins...this turned out to be a tough run with net uphill and predominantly into the wind, nice day all the same!!..1mile warm up n cooldown
    6.25miles@7.14avg..
    31/3
    Was meant to be a nice easy run n started out that way 8min for first mile,inadvertently sped up for the next 2 averaging 7.25 before I reigned it back in to 7.50/7.45 then just upped it a little for the final mile
    6.13@7.40avg..
    1/4
    Jumped in with a new group who are targeting Derry marathon all faster runners than myself so hoping it'll help bring me on if I can jump in as often as possible..they were doing 18mile but I was gonna do 14 as I haven't done much in terms of long run since bohermeen..also they were planning on running at 7.40'ish pace..which will be my target marathon pace...2mile easy run to meet the lads @7.30am , leisurely pace above 8min miles ,arrived a few mins early so little stretch then we set off..felt good n comfortable having the company and completed the next 12miles all below7.45
    14.5miles@7.44avg..

4/4
    Nothing spectacular about this one,bumped into an old gym buddy on route so had some company,nice handy 4.5miles@7.30avg
    5/4
    Headed down to the polo grounds in the phoenix park to do some intervals..parked up at chesterfield so 2mile warm up then Into 4 laps/90sec rest after every lap/ polo-ground measured .6miles and laps were timed @ 3.28/3.32/3.37/3.36... ideally would like to get all laps down 3.30,a bit of speed and speed endurence needed..2 miles back to the car felt tough, so I obviously put the effort in on the repeats
    6.5miles @8.08 avg

7/4
    Decided on a quick tempo before I headed off on a stags,got stuck at a rail crossing - bad planning on my part which killed the intensity..still managed
    5.1miles@7.03avg..
    10/4
    Post stags blowout..had put it off all day, finally headed out after 8..started slow but then upped it to sweat out some alcohol..
    Surprisingly didn't feel too bad
    5.12@7.15avg.

• Advertisement

Have a bit of catching up to do
    10/4
    Feeling crap after been away at a stags,I just wanted to get out and let off some steam..started off easy but gradually built it up.. 7.45/7.20/7.14/7.06/6.53
    Total
    5.12miles @ 7.15avg
    12/4
    Don't recall much about this but think it was a little progression run 7.26/7.16/6.58/6.42
    4.28@7.08 avg
    14/4
    Decided on a new route for my longish run,looked pretty straight forward until I got lost!!..ended up on some country roads, with no pathway..quite dangerous actually but luckily for me it was at lunch time so I was visible to motorists..managed to get back on track via the canal n
    And completed 10miles although a little faster then planned..I scurried along the winding roads..
    10miles@7.38
    15/4
    Headed to Cork with the family..whilst the kids napped I grabbed the shoes and went for a run..taught I could just follow the river Lee for a handy 5k..not to be the case...got lost again, twice in 2 days..ended up looping back on myself a few times and managed to clock up a little over 10k..
    6.33@7.36avg

17/4
    Back to some easy running..most of the runs lately are all creeping into steady runs...or faster than planned runs
    4.5 m @8.00 avg

18/4
    Since I ran bohermeen half ( 12/3) and dunboyne 4m (26/3)..I've been in a bit of a rut, no goal race to aim for..as a family we have alot on most weekends until the start of June but luckily I'm free (for now) on 14th may so I'm going to enter the Terenure 5mile..I'll aim to improve on the 33.07 from raheny in January..dunno what plan (if any to follow) opinions welcome .... but I started off today with
    4x1 mile@10k -6.40pace with 2 1/2mins recovery Jog..
    Felt good, although tough at times due to head wind and the route was predominantly uphill
    Totalled 7miles@7.26avg

19/4
    Felt ok after yesterday's session so decided to get a long run in as I can't run Thursday and want to do parkrun the weekend..headed to the park @miday and it was nice and mild with cooling haze..took in a nice route heading down the park with loop of popesX and pitches then around by Wellington monument..had a nice 3 mile climb from S-bends up and out by mount sackville and up to myo's pub..finally finished off back at c.knock gate for an 11mile total@7.56 avg

Why not take a look at the "best 10k workouts by McMillan" thread? Lots of good ideas over there that you could use

Duanington wrote: »
    Why not take a look at the "best 10k workouts by McMillan" thread? Lots of good ideas over there that you could use

Cheers d, just had a look.. if I start this week,it will take me up to the dunshaughlin 10k as we're away on hols for a week.. any more tips/advise fire 'em at me ðŸ‘

21/4
    Finished work early and had a hour to kill so took in an easy 5k and a quick bodyweight circuit.
    5k 25mins @8m.m avg
    22/4
    Back to the parkrun it was, decided to make the 2mile run up to the park as a warm-up..I never really do much of a warm-up.. few Strides thrown in on the second mile..arrived with 5mins to spare...said my hello's and we were soon off.. I went out fast enough as I was hoping to get close to my course pb (20.18).. first mile comes in at 6.16.. second mile I always drop off the pace, I'm trying hard but soon drift to 6.40's+.. a friend passes who is sub 18 and he gives me a kick up the arse I need, I latch onto him for a half mile and soon Improve, watch beeps at 6.32, I feel pretty goosed but keep working hard upping the ante on the final run-in to come home in 20.00.02!! Gets round up to 20.01for a 17second pb.. a course pb which I'm happy with for now,although I do think I can knock another 15+secs off ( hopefully)..
    2miles@7.40
    3.1@6.27

Cheers d, just had a look.. if I start this week,it will take me up to the dunshaughlin 10k as we're away on hols for a week.. any more tips/advise fire 'em at me ðŸ‘

You seem to be ticking along nicely man but I would just say to keep the easy stuff nice and easy...some of those sessions are tough - but they're meant to be :D

If I were you, my week would look like this:
    Lots of easy stuff ( actual easy, f*ck the number on the watch)
    A long run, 12 miles +
    A tempo\steady run (4-7 miles) - dropping back the pace a bit for the longer ones. There are actually loads of these prescribed in the McMillan thread
    A sharper session from the mcMillan stuff
    I don't think you can go too far wrong with this

Common sense prevails of course - no point in running a mcMillan session and a tough tempo within a couple of days of each other

Well done on the parkrun course PB by the way, plenty more to come, keep up the good work

Here's the plan is hope to follow for the next few weeks.. apolagies i couldnt post the table, myself and the tablet are having a falling out as im a little computer literate ....

Maybe move out the session that's two days before the 5 mile race to the following week, and do some easy miles with strides instead. You should be fresh enough for the race, even if it's not the target - no point in racing on tired legs and getting demotivated as a result.

Singer wrote: »
    Maybe move out the session that's two days before the 5 mile race to the following week, and do some easy miles with strides instead. You should be fresh enough for the race, even if it's not the target - no point in racing on tired legs and getting demotivated as a result.

Thanks singer,would it be worth switching it up with the Tuesdays tempo? Then a shorter and slower run the Friday with Strides?

Should of mentioned times/paces are based off 1.32 half in bohermeen and 25.50 in dunboyne 4m.. hoping to get under 41 and as close to 40 as possible!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement