Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Bump. I think looksee is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Bump. I think looksee is correct!

Didn't the Romans call it a fasces? From which the word fascist derives.

P.S. Questions are coming very slowly here of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am only a bit kinda right, its not really what fasciation is - I knew but had forgotten. Ochone ochone, the old memory isn't what it was :D

Come in New Home and sort us out!

We seem to be missing a question, I'll go and see if I can find it.

Ah, New Home's ornithology and winter sports question is outstanding too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

looksee wrote: »
    That's a silly question, anyway. Name the first winter sport that springs to mind and I'll tell you if you're on the right track.

As for fasciation, not quite there. Will I out you out of your misery?

• Advertisement

Skiing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Cody montana

New Home wrote: »
    Ok, I still don't know the answer, but for the sake of keeping the thread going I'll attempt another answer. Going by the "Theo" part, I'm taking a leap and say that it's God, as in theology, so is it a musical instrument played by the gods?

Also, still in the name of keeping the thread going, what links winter sports and ornithology?

Snowy owl?

looksee wrote: »

Ailsa Craig, a Scottish bird sanctuary, is the source of most of the granite used to make curling stones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, much sillier. Think French, think skiing, think birds...

Bonus clue: think nurses.

feargale wrote: »
    Ailsa Craig, a Scottish bird sanctuary, is the source of most of the granite used to make curling stones.
    Now, that would've been a great question!

• Advertisement

No, much sillier. Think French, think skiing, think birds...

Bonus clue: think nurses.

Some young fellas who have been there, done that tell me that the apres ski is a great place for bird watching. Maybe nurses to be seen there too. I wouldn't know.

No, sorry. :D

Right, let's see if we get there. What's a "nickname" for nurses?

Right, let's see if we get there. What's a "nickname" for nurses?

Angels of something or other. Nightingales???!!!

Before reading your last post I was about to suggest that skiing is seen by many as unfriendly to the environment. I was thinking that it could be upsetting the habitat of birds.

Yes! Nightingales!. Now think French.

Angels of something or other. Nightingales???!!!

Before reading your last post I was about to suggest that skiing is seen by many as unfriendly to the environment. I was thinking that it could be upsetting the habitat of birds.

Artificial snow is abominably bad, let's face it.

Yes! Nightingales!. Now think French.

Never took French at school. Bird = oiseau. Nightingale? Je ne sais pas.

In that case I think you'd be allowed to look up the translation, if you like, unless you want to leave it for someone else. Entirely up to you. :)

In that case I think you'd be allowed to look up the translation, if you like, unless you want to leave it for someone else. Entirely up to you. :)

Rossignol, makers of winter sports equipment.

BINGO!! :)

• Advertisement

BINGO!! :)

Well, that's a French word I won't forget in a hurry. I did, for the first time, look it up, not for kudos but because I've been straining at the leash to ask one or two questions,
    Here goes:

Many Scottish people object to the inscription Queen Elizabeth II ( or equivalents such as QE II or Eliz. II Regina etc.) on their coinage, banknotes, postage stamps etc. Why?

Because she's not technically their Queen? (wild guess) Or are they objecting to the II?

Because she's not technically their Queen? (wild guess) Or are they objecting to the II?

Tell me more.

More.

Now what? :D

Now what? :D

Well you've given two answers, both a bit vague.

Elizabeth I wasn't queen of the Scots? I'm utterly rubbish at history, it was by far my least favourite subject in school, so, like I said, it's a wild guess.

Elizabeth I wasn't queen of the Scots? I'm utterly rubbish at history, it was by far my least favourite subject in school, so, like I said, it's a wild guess.

That's it. Elizabeth I didn't reign in Scotland. They say that the current queen is QEI of Scotland, or perhaps more correctly simply QE since there is only one.

Poor Chaws will have the same problem unless he takes a regnal name such as George or Ebenezer.

P.S. Should I say Queen of Scots rather than Queen of Scotland, or is that obsolete?

That's it. Elizabeth I didn't reign in Scotland. They say that the current queen is QEI of Scotland, or perhaps more correctly simply QE since there is only one.

Poor Chaws will have the same problem unless he takes a regnal name such as George or Ebenezer.

P.S. Should I say Queen of Scots rather than Queen of Scotland, or is that obsolete?

It depends on whether she was ruler of the people or the land, I guess.

• Advertisement

Its very unreasonable of you to answer the very occasional question I know the answer to New Home! :D

Advertisement