Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Donnybrook Stadium - 15th & 16th June 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd say calling them one of the most critically lauded bands in the world is fairer but they are not one of the biggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

One of the biggest bands in the world, really? Yet the day they headlined Longitude was the only day that didn't sell out. The National may be big within indie circles but to call them one of the biggest bands in the world is plain wrong.

Where did you see that 5 or 6 support acts would be added? If there's some great acts that justify the price why not just announce them. Surely the aim is to shift tickets.

Based on the actual info we have right now- not speculation or hope- the ticket price is a piss-take, IMO

Listen, I don't really care. I just think you're giving out about something without all the facts yet. It says a full line up of guests and doors open at 2pm on both days. Do you reckon people are going to sit around in Donnybrook stadium for 6 hours until Lisa Hannigan comes on at 8pm? It appears to be close to selling out so I reckon they've no need to announce the bands or they don't have everything finalised yet. Quite unlikely we'll get support of the calibre of War on drugs but should be a few decent bands.

There's obviously a bit of subjectivity around the word 'biggest' but I'd put them in a small group of bands that could potentially headline Glasto next time around. They played the Sunday of Longitude by the way so not an easy sell for their target market, they'd also played Dublin and Cork quite recently prior to that.

I'm arguing a lot for someone who doesn't really care, amn't I? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Listen, I don't really care. I just think you're giving out about something without all the facts yet. It says a full line up of guests and doors open at 2pm on both days. Do you reckon people are going to sit around in Donnybrook stadium for 6 hours until Lisa Hannigan comes on at 8pm? It appears to be close to selling out so I reckon they've no need to announce the bands or they don't have everything finalised yet. Quite unlikely we'll get support of the calibre of War on drugs but should be a few decent bands.

There's obviously a bit of subjectivity around the word 'biggest' but I'd put them in a small group of bands that could potentially headline Glasto next time around. They played the Sunday of Longitude by the way so not an easy sell for their target market, they'd also played Dublin and Cork quite recently prior to that.

I'm arguing a lot for someone who doesn't really care, amn't I? :pac:

Arguing? I thought we were having a discussion on a message board ;)

And no, biggest bands in the world is not a subjective thing at all. What does it matter if their Longitude show headliner was on a Sunday? If they're one of the biggest bands in the world, this would not be an impediment.

Hopefully the line-up of support acts will be decent but IMO it's disingenuous to withhold them and expect people to pay a large chunk of change without knowing.

Arguing? I thought we were having a discussion on a message board ;)

And no, biggest bands in the world is not a subjective thing at all. What does it matter if their Longitude show headliner was on a Sunday? If they're one of the biggest bands in the world, this would not be an impediment.

Hopefully the line-up of support acts will be decent but IMO it's disingenuous to withhold them and expect people to pay a large chunk of change without knowing.

It absolutely is subjective, firstly there are numerous metrics to consider - Album sales? Sell out gigs? Twitter followers? Notoriety? Spotify streams?

That's before you even get into what constitutes a 'band' - One Direction? Daft Punk? Garth Brooks? Beyoncé?

Anyway, they're not on the level of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Guns n'Roses, U2, Coldplay, Metallica, Arcade Fire etc. but I'd say they're the tier just below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

But it says SPECIAL GUESTS so they'll be fantastic!

One of the best bands- maybe but biggest not by a country mile.
    Biggest equates to being ubiquitous (to some extent), selling out large stadia worldwide, sales and not best quality of music....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

With the War on Drugs and Grizzly Bear announced for the Monday of Forbidden Fruit, that'll rule them out as Special Guests for these shows anyway. Would have been pretty confident in predicting one or both of those!

Spoon also at FF.

I'll be interested to see who is on the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ngunners

With the War on Drugs and Grizzly Bear announced for the Monday of Forbidden Fruit, that'll rule them out as Special Guests for these shows anyway. Would have been pretty confident in predicting one or both of those!

Spoon also at FF.

Any chance of bon iver?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,787 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ngunners wrote: »
    Any chance of bon iver?
    As support? Not a chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Spoon also at FF.

TWOD would be too big for supporting at these gigs I reckon. in London, I believe it's 20,000 capacity, so more money for bigger support.
    they're a pretty big act to be supporting The National anyway, wouldn't have said they're far behind them in popularity...

Warpaint would have been the level I'd be expecting for highest support in Dublin, had they not been announced for FF....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Wooderson

There's obviously a bit of subjectivity around the word 'biggest' but I'd put them in a small group of bands that could potentially headline Glasto next time around.

They stank the place out in June. A no from me.

• Advertisement

Wooderson wrote: »

Well it’s a yes for me so I guess it’s balanced itself out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ngunners

Basq wrote: »
    As support? Not a chance..

A man can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Well it’s a yes for me so I guess it’s balanced itself out then.

If only life conundrums were all so simple.
    Boy meets girl. Boy asks girl to sleep with him. Girls say – “that would be a no from me”. Boy says “well it’s a yes from me, so I guess its balanced out – Let’s get it on”.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,787 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ngunners wrote: »
    A man can dream.
    Oh God yeah.. I'd be there in a flash.

Am thinking of just biting the bullet and doing The National, Future Islands and TWOD in Victoria Park with some cheap flights to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Boy meets girl. Boy asks girl to sleep with him. Girls say – “that would be a no from me”. Boy says “well it’s a yes from me, so I guess its balanced out – Let’s get it on”.

Indeed. Lets dispense with the "National as Glasters headliners" chat on here. There isnt a hope.

Thankfully. :D

That's a really really weird analogy.

My post was a joke anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was hoping for but didn't think it likely that we would get TWOD supporting the National. Dates didn't really match up with their London festival. As someone else said probably a size issue too. Just a pity that to see both it's either head to London or go to FF. Just the joys of living in a small country I guess. Presume bands get better revenue from it but wonder how much of it is promoter led.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wooderson wrote: »

I thought they were very good at Glasto. Was between the sound stages and the crowd there were very appreciative. There was a lot of moving about admittedly as many people were leaving from Katy Perry and many were moving in place for Foo Fighters but they were very good. Shortish set though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, they were good at Glastonbury. could have done with not playing some new songs that no-one had heard yet, but were still very good. had a few with me that didn't know them at all and loved it, Matt's antics especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭lc180

Heads up, Taylor Swift is playing Croker on the 15th. Possibly gonna make accommodation in the city a nightmare that weekend. Might be worth booking sooner rather than later folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The National vs Pop Queens debacle again - first they were put on before Beyonce at Glastonbury, now they're on the same night as Taylor Swift :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

They were on before Foo Fighters at Glasto

I kinda drifted from The National after High Violet. Listened to Trouble… for a while, but never connected to it. Was interested when I heard new album was coming out. But again, it kinda drifted by me. Heard bits of Day I Die and System on Jools Holland, and they sounded good. But never got into the album for some reason. More of an oversight than anything. Anyway, was listening to the new tunes on Youtube at the weekend, and was blown away. I only concentrated on about 4 of them, but they sounded excellent. Better than anything I had heard from them in years – These aren’t full titles, cause I can remember what they are – Cairns at Liquer Store, Need my Girl, Guilty Party, Destroy you, System dreams in total darkness.

Maybe, I’m getting too excited, but I was blown away by these songs after couple of listens. Day I Die is alright, but forgettable enough. That’s 6. Would the other songs be up to this standard, or mostly filler. Looking forward to giving them a spin this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I kinda drifted from The National after High Violet. Listened to Trouble… for a while, but never connected to it. Was interested when I heard new album was coming out. But again, it kinda drifted by me. Heard bits of Day I Die and System on Jools Holland, and they sounded good. But never got into the album for some reason. More of an oversight than anything. Anyway, was listening to the new tunes on Youtube at the weekend, and was blown away. I only concentrated on about 4 of them, but they sounded excellent. Better than anything I had heard from them in years – These aren’t full titles, cause I can remember what they are – Cairns at Liquer Store, Need my Girl, Guilty Party, Destroy you, System dreams in total darkness.

Maybe, I’m getting too excited, but I was blown away by these songs after couple of listens. Day I Die is alright, but forgettable enough. That’s 6. Would the other songs be up to this standard, or mostly filler. Looking forward to giving them a spin this evening.

In terms of the new album they are most of the best songs however it is a strong album. In my opinion the best songs on the new album are Carin at the Liquor Store, Guilty Party, Day I Die (this was great live in Vicar Street I thought), The System Dreams in Total Darkness, I'll Still Destroy You and Sleep Well Beast.

I Need my Girl is from Trouble Will Find me, great song.

They have buckets of great tunes!-

and this, probably best live show I've seen-

Enjoy,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    They have buckets of great tunes!-

Enjoy,
    Pa.

Oh. I know. I'm not new to the game. Know all their old stuff. I was well into them up to about 3 years ago anyway. Like I said, it was only Trouble will find me that I lost interest. But to be honest, didn't give it a proper go.
    Anyway, going to get back in to them again. Got the El Vy album some time ago, and was at the Vicar St gig. And it was good. But not nearly anything like the songs that I have listened to so far from Sleep Well Beast. #
    Looking forward to Donnybrook gigs. Should be cracking, judging by their setlists on Setlist.com.

In terms of the new album they are most of the best songs however it is a strong album. In my opinion the best songs on the new album are Carin at the Liquor Store, Guilty Party, Day I Die (this was great live in Vicar Street I thought), The System Dreams in Total Darkness, I'll Still Destroy You and Sleep Well Beast.

I Need my Girl is from Trouble Will Find me, great song.

Cheers. I guess that shows how many spins I gave Trouble…

Anyway, that will be some weekend in Donnybrook. And Future Islands on Sunday.

Like a 3 day festival, with quality music – assuming the support bands will be decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

dinneenp wrote: »

Enjoy,
    Pa.

I honestly must listen to that every day when I'm on evening shift in work, great way to pass 2.5 hours sitting at a desk with headphones on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

First support acts announced for both days.

Friday, June 15: Lisa Hannigan, Jay Som + More to be announced

Saturday, June 16: Villagers, Aldous Harding, Rostam + More to be announced

Rostam and Jay Som both put out great albums this year so they're solid bookings. Lisa Hannigan may as well be in the band at this stage, she performs with them so often - I'm not a fan at all - and Villagers is usually decent live but it's been a while since he's released anything so would be curious to see what that is like!

Not familiar with Aldous Harding.

• Advertisement

First support acts announced for both days.

Friday, June 15: Lisa Hannigan, Jay Som + More to be announced

Saturday, June 16: Villagers, Aldous Harding, Rostam + More to be announced

Rostam and Jay Som both put out great albums this year so they're solid bookings. Lisa Hannigan may as well be in the band at this stage, she performs with them so often - I'm not a fan at all - and Villagers is usually decent live but it's been a while since he's released anything so would be curious to see what that is like!

Not familiar with Aldous Harding.

Special guests me arse!

And there was me getting my hopes up.....

Advertisement