Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Donnybrook Stadium - 15th & 16th June 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'll be gutted.

Mainly because I didn't get tickets. :pac:

It's my favourite album of theirs. I wonder what is planned, though. They sold two-day passes, something that certainly suggests there will be something unique/different about the two shows and I would expect that to go beyond the support bill.

That said, neither show was advertised as 'Boxer' and the previous shows at Homecoming in Cinncinati and Brussels (which was recorded for Record Store Day) were both well flagged as a Boxer anniversary gig.

If you were a recent convert to the band or one unfamiliar with older material, you might be a bit miffed that they were doing an anniversary tour and not announcing it as such. Equally, if you were a fan of the older material and you opted for one of the two nights and missed the anniversary show, you might be equally pissed!

I know if I had the option of choosing between the two nights and one was Boxer-specific, I'd choose that one as I've seen the new album already.

Anyway, on a related note, Rostam is doing an after show gig at the Workman's on the Saturday for those who would rather see him in that type of setting than a big field. Big fan of his, loved Vampire Weekend and his work with Hamilton Leithauser and his solo album was pretty solid too so would be well worth a look in that type of setting I would say.

It’s not going to be difficult to get tickets for the gigs as the time comes close. There’s already 2 pages of entries on Toutless – most of them selling. Gives a good indication that plenty more will become available. People will have holidays, football matches. Family members will get sick. Just keep an eye on toutless.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

They still have a band or two to announce on the Saturday; don’t they? I’m a bit underwhelmed by the support that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

I'll be gutted.

Mainly because I didn't get tickets. :pac:

It's my favourite album of theirs. I wonder what is planned, though. They sold two-day passes, something that certainly suggests there will be something unique/different about the two shows and I would expect that to go beyond the support bill.

That said, neither show was advertised as 'Boxer' and the previous shows at Homecoming in Cinncinati and Brussels (which was recorded for Record Store Day) were both well flagged as a Boxer anniversary gig.

If you were a recent convert to the band or one unfamiliar with older material, you might be a bit miffed that they were doing an anniversary tour and not announcing it as such. Equally, if you were a fan of the older material and you opted for one of the two nights and missed the anniversary show, you might be equally pissed!

I know if I had the option of choosing between the two nights and one was Boxer-specific, I'd choose that one as I've seen the new album already.

Anyway, on a related note, Rostam is doing an after show gig at the Workman's on the Saturday for those who would rather see him in that type of setting than a big field. Big fan of his, loved Vampire Weekend and his work with Hamilton Leithauser and his solo album was pretty solid too so would be well worth a look in that type of setting I would say.

I think you're right in that neither date was sold as a Boxer specific day it probably won't be but I will keep my fingers crossed just in case!

I saw them in Vicars Street last year for the new album and I do really like it so either way I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They still have a band or two to announce on the Saturday; don’t they? I’m a bit underwhelmed by the support that day.

It still says "very special.guests to be added" on the Aiken website for the Saturday so I'd say there'll be one or two more names. I think the Friday support is better - Preoccupations and John Grant are brilliant live and Jay Som released some great music last year - but villagers and rostam are both worth a look for anyone who is going Saturday.

I would expect an opener level act to be added and maybe one higher up so that it ends up being: new act; rostam; cate Le bon; new act; villagers; the national but I've got nothing to base that on.

The run on Friday of Jay Som; Preoccupations and Lisa Hannigan is gonna be a bit of a head spinner in terms of sound. One of these things is very much not like the others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Dream Wife added to Saturday

And also some great seats and standing on sale :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

really hope a bigger Special Guest gets added for Sat .... feeling hard done by with John Grant being on the Friday ... grrrr !

whatever76 wrote: »
    really hope a bigger Special Guest gets added for Sat .... feeling hard done by with John Grant being on the Friday ... grrrr !

Pretty sure these are the final acts announced.

5 bands for each day. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

Pretty sure these are the final acts announced.

5 bands for each day. ??

Surely they'll add a bigger act to the Saturday? Bit cheeky calling the current support 'Very Special Guests'!

Would be looking to offload tickets if it stays as is.

D!armu!d wrote: »
    Surely they'll add a bigger act to the Saturday? Bit cheeky calling the current support 'Very Special Guests'!

Would be looking to offload tickets if it stays as is.

between set times, stage changes and the amount of bands i reckon this is it. If anything there may be a smaller act added to open the day doing a 30min set but I reckon that's it. It's only the one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ngunners

What's the capacity of Donnybrook Stadium for a gig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

ngunners wrote: »
    What's the capacity of Donnybrook Stadium for a gig?

Pretty sure I read somewhere these gigs are capped at 10,000 per day. Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,653 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

lc180 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read somewhere these gigs are capped at 10,000 per day. Open to correction though.

Been there for matches if anything that seems on high side. Must be packing a lot of people in on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ngunners

Eod100 wrote: »
    Been there for matches if anything that seems on high side. Must be packing a lot of people in on the pitch

Apparently the capacity is 6000 for a match so 10000 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 usexpat

I'll be going on Friday and looking forward to it. Just moved to Ireland from the U.S. and LOVE The National.

Does anyone have any idea what time they'll be going on if doors @ 14:00?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

usexpat wrote: »
    I'll be going on Friday and looking forward to it. Just moved to Ireland from the U.S. and LOVE The National.

Does anyone have any idea what time they'll be going on if doors @ 14:00?

Probably 8:45 or 9pm. Set times will be released a day or two beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

they'll be on stage some time between 8:30pm and 9:15pm. I'd guess 9pm and finish around 10:45pm.

the latest that outdoor concerts in residential areas are generally allowed to finish at is 11pm.

they'll be on stage some time between 8:30pm and 9:15pm. I'd guess 9pm and finish around 10:45pm.

the latest that outdoor concerts in residential areas are generally allowed to finish at is 11pm.

Would be class if they had that long a set, with encore they very well could!

Anyone else check out the new streaming site with the Dessner lads and Justin Vernon from Bon Iver?

Some great stuff on it!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/06/people-streaming-national-bon-iver-indie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭fafy

Tickets still available for both nights, (seating & standing)and they are also selling 2 gig standing tickets, for about 20 Euro off the price of buying both nights separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Have to say I'm looking forward to the gig on the 16th. Was trying to go to The War on Drugs at FF last Monday instead of this but hey go!

Rostam's album is good, so will be worth seeing.
    I like what I've heard of Dream Wife so far.

My biggest issue is with Villagers being the sub headliners. They don't do much for me...while I don't doubt the talent of Conor O'Brien, I find it a bit boring!

But should be a good day out!

2 questions.
    Do ye think the Taylor Swift gig will have a big impact on public transportation to/from the gig?

Anywhere close by the venue to get some grub and a few pints?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Have to say I'm looking forward to the gig on the 16th. Was trying to go to The War on Drugs at FF last Monday instead of this but hey go!

Rostam's album is good, so will be worth seeing.
    I like what I've heard of Dream Wife so far.

My biggest issue is with Villagers being the sub headliners. They don't do much for me...while I don't doubt the talent of Conor O'Brien, I find it a bit boring!

But should be a good day out!

2 questions.
    Do ye think the Taylor Swift gig will have a big impact on public transportation to/from the gig?

Anywhere close by the venue to get some grub and a few pints?

Yeah I'm liking everything with exception to the Villagers.

Would love if you were allowed to leave the arena and then return; might have popped out for dinner/pint in a pub.

They're just such a flat tyre imo.

Re: Tay tay; wouldn't say the impact will be visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Yeah I'm liking everything with exception to the Villagers.

Would love if you were allowed to leave the arena and then return; might have popped out for dinner/pint in a pub.

They're just such a flat tyre imo.

Re: Tay tay; wouldn't say the impact will be visible.

I thought it was just me with The Villagers. I wasn't into anything I heard on the radio by them. So I thought that they must really ramp it up live. I recorded on SkyArts, some live set they did. And my God, it sounded so dull. Bit disappointed that they are before The National, but when the time comes, it won't have any bearing on my enjoyment of the day.
    I was getting a sneaky peek in to the setlists of past few months. Should be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How confident should we be that this weather will continue for next weekend?
    Be typical Ireland for a washout after all this sunshine.

Ah didn't jinx us!! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi, looking at driving up for this on Saturday. Is there any car parks nearby that would be convenient please?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Mixed for Saturday apparently! Few showers. I was really looking forward to a lovely sunny gig!

Any ideas what time the gig will wrap up at (is there a curfew on events at the stadium?). Need to be back on Aston Quay by 11.45 to get last bus back to Galway. Looking very likely I'd have to leave before the end

Any ideas what time the gig will wrap up at (is there a curfew on events at the stadium?). Need to be back on Aston Quay by 11.45 to get last bus back to Galway. Looking very likely I'd have to leave before the end

10.30/10.45

Odds on whenever they come on at either 8pm or 9 they'll play a 1 and a half hour set.

if you're going to the gig on saturday just pay attention to this thread after the friday gig has wrapped up.

10.30/10.45

Odds on whenever they come on at either 8pm or 9 they'll play a 1 and a half hour set.

if you're going to the gig on saturday just pay attention to this thread after the friday gig has wrapped up.
    Yep, Friday will dictate if I go or not, depending on what time they finish, ease of leaving venue etc.

Any rumblings I'd stage times or will they only be out by Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 neonsuburbs

Driving down to this and not familiar with the area, what is the parking situation like near the stadium? And are there any bars nearby to watch the first World Cup game of the day before the show?

Advertisement