Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Donnybrook Stadium - 15th & 16th June 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was hoping that the main support for either day has not been announced yet, based on what was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

dinneenp wrote: »
    You're forgetting that the Aiken website now says 'VERY special guest' for Friday, not just Speical guest. Has to be U2, Daft Punk, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins or similar. Otherwise they're selling false hype!

FFS :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tvarma7

Hi all. I am looking to swap my two tickets for the Saturday (16 June) show for a pair to the Friday gig.

Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

More special guests announced at 10am apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Eod100 wrote: »
    More special guests announced at 10am apparently

Aldous Harding’s also cancelled her tour so won't be appearing on the Saturday.

• Advertisement

John Grant and Preoccupations added for the Friday.

Cate Le Bon added for the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

damn, have a Saturday ticket but much prefer Friday's lineup now.
    not familiar with Cate Le Bon's stuff though TBH.

I'm not a huge John Grant fan but Preoccupations is a great little addition.

Still one more to be announced for Saturday by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Same here. Would loved to have seen John Grant.

I'll probably just end up getting a Friday ticket closer the time, given that there's likely to be 2 completely different National setlists :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

That Friday line-up is excellent. Not sure I'd be able to travel for that day. If it was on the Saturday, I'd be all for it!!

Preoccupations and John Grant are both brilliant live.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Of course the one gig Preoccupations put on in Dublin is as a support act to three other bands I couldn't give a ****e about.

I've seen Lisa Hannigan a fair bit. Think she's awesome but am keen see Villagers who haven't seen in ages. Would have liked to have seen John Grant but my ticket is got at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Just spotted on Facebook that Sat is now Sold Out !

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Of course the one gig Preoccupations put on in Dublin is as a support act to three other bands I couldn't give a ****e about.

Must check out their album. I have the Viet Cong album and just got a pleasant surprise when I googled them. Didn't realise they are the same band!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Must check out their album. I have the Viet Cong album and just got a pleasant surprise when I googled them. Didn't realise they are the same band!!

Yeah they went for a name-change after some controversy surrounding 'Viet Cong'. Their first LP under the new name wasn't as good as good as hoped but the tracks they've previewed off the new album out this month are VERY promising.

I really enjoyed the first LP released under the Preoccupations name. Saw them live on it too and they were great so high hopes for album #2 (or 3 if we count Viet Cong?).

Is this likely to be one stage and bands just lining up after each other all day? Because if so, that is some juxtaposition in sound to go from Preoccupations to Jay Som, Lisa Hannigan or John Grant!!

I really enjoyed the first LP released under the Preoccupations name. Saw them live on it too and they were great so high hopes for album #2 (or 3 if we count Viet Cong?).

Is this likely to be one stage and bands just lining up after each other all day? Because if so, that is some juxtaposition in sound to go from Preoccupations to Jay Som, Lisa Hannigan or John Grant!!

Yeah would imagine its a one stage set up !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xkat11

I'm a bit disappointed with the line up for both days, don't know any of these artists... I was hoping for the War on Drugs or similar...

Any quick suggestions on songs to familiarize myself with the Friday lineup?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

xkat11 wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed with the line up for both days, don't know any of these artists... I was hoping for the War on Drugs or similar...

Any quick suggestions on songs to familiarize myself with the Friday lineup?

Jay Som - One more time, please
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YU_yBBd0cA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Another Jay Som song-
    https://open.spotify.com/track/5280Me7PZs7P2UPVfcSOEq?si=Hz6iuGIETWOe8GCYok1Mcg

I never heard if her before thus gig, really liking her. Reminds me if Cathy Davy.

John Grant - list to his first album

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xkat11

thanks for the recommendations guys!

dinneenp wrote: »
    Another Jay Som song-
    https://open.spotify.com/track/5280Me7PZs7P2UPVfcSOEq?si=Hz6iuGIETWOe8GCYok1Mcg

I never heard if her before thus gig, really liking her. Reminds me if Cathy Davy.

John Grant - list to his first album

John Grant's first album is my favourite of his (and one my favourites of all time) but the last few times I saw him live, he leaned a lot more towards the sound of the second and third ones, even rejigging some of his old stuff to be a bit more electronic.

If people want to try Preoccupations, listen to 'Anxiety', 'Continental Shelf' or 'Espionage.'

Really good band, really exciting live act. New album is out on Friday.

As I mentioned a little further up, though, their heavy brand of post-punk is going to be a little weird at 5pm in the afternoon, especially when followed by Jay Som, etc.

I like all the acts on this bill (except Lisa Hannigan, just not my cup of tea) but there are some odd choices in putting them all together...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I have two tickets for Friday, but I've found out The Flight of the Conchords cancelled gig has been rescheduled to June 15. Which means I'm going to try find a swap of two Friday tickets for two Saturday tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tvarma7

raze wrote: »
    I have two tickets for Friday, but I've found out The Flight of the Conchords cancelled gig has been rescheduled to June 15. Which means I'm going to try find a swap of two Friday tickets for two Saturday tickets.

Hi. I have a pair of tickets for the Sat gig that I am hoping to trade for the Fri show. Am based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

tvarma7 wrote: »
    Hi. I have a pair of tickets for the Sat gig that I am hoping to trade for the Fri show. Am based in Dublin.

Thanks for the swift reply. PM sent tvarma.

they had their Homecoming festival over the weekend in Cincinnati, played 2 nights, both with completely different setlists (Boxer in full plus others on the 2nd night, and a new song):

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2018/smale-park-cincinnati-oh-3bec04a0.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-national/2018/smale-park-cincinnati-oh-33ec0099.html

mp3 of the new song, Light Years
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fk266at18j69a4/Lightyears.mp3?dl=0

video too:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Getting excited for June now! Wonder will we get Boxer?

• Advertisement

myxi wrote: »
    Getting excited for June now! Wonder will we get Boxer?

I'll be gutted.

Mainly because I didn't get tickets. :pac:

It's my favourite album of theirs. I wonder what is planned, though. They sold two-day passes, something that certainly suggests there will be something unique/different about the two shows and I would expect that to go beyond the support bill.

That said, neither show was advertised as 'Boxer' and the previous shows at Homecoming in Cinncinati and Brussels (which was recorded for Record Store Day) were both well flagged as a Boxer anniversary gig.

If you were a recent convert to the band or one unfamiliar with older material, you might be a bit miffed that they were doing an anniversary tour and not announcing it as such. Equally, if you were a fan of the older material and you opted for one of the two nights and missed the anniversary show, you might be equally pissed!

I know if I had the option of choosing between the two nights and one was Boxer-specific, I'd choose that one as I've seen the new album already.

Anyway, on a related note, Rostam is doing an after show gig at the Workman's on the Saturday for those who would rather see him in that type of setting than a big field. Big fan of his, loved Vampire Weekend and his work with Hamilton Leithauser and his solo album was pretty solid too so would be well worth a look in that type of setting I would say.

Advertisement