Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen King's It

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, I think Tim Curry's version was nigh on perfect, even if the miniseries was rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This new version just looks more and more terrible with very image. The sewer scene was so ironically creepy because Tim curry's Pennywise looked like a not-quite-right Ronald McDonald. This "sexy, dangerous" iteration is just a little embarrassing.

The series was indeed crap, but this is so much better and creepier looking it's not even funny...

pennywise-the-dancing-sewer-clown-tim-curry-dantania-blogspot-com.jpeg

Without a doubt the opening scene was great. But after that it quickly descended into TV film mediocrity.

I watched it a few years ago for only the second time and was reminded at just how tame it was.

Every time Curry appeared he was great though. Best scary clown ever, largely because it doesn't try to be a "scary clown".

Tony EH wrote: »
    Without a doubt the opening scene was great. But after that it quickly descended into TV film mediocrity.

I watched it a few years ago for only the second time and was reminded at just how tame it was.

Every time Curry appeared he was great though. Best scary clown ever, largely because it doesn't try to be a "scary clown".

Saw it when I was a kid, was terrified by it. Saw it again about two years ago with housemates that also saw it as children... we laughed long, and hard. The creeping going on from most of the male characters with the woman is absolutely (and unintentionally) hilarious! :pac:

But yeah Curry chewed scenery in every scene, kind of nailed that role in the way Heath Ledger did with the Joker, just can't see it being matched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

There are some genuinely creepy moments, like when IT is talking to Georgie, when he appears on the lake (I think) to the fat kid as his father, the shower scene, probably one or two more.

The second part is terrible, way too corny and melodramatic.

Curry obviously stole the show, hes IT defines the evil clown and it was such a unique performance I doubt it will be topped and going by the pictures released this new IT wont be half as menacing, however, they have a great chance of making a better overall film.

All the material is there to make this a great horror.

• Advertisement

The thing with Pennywise is that he was meant to look disarming enough to get kids close, before the evil shone through.

What dumb ass kid would approach that monstrosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

The new clown looks more like it's described in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The thing with Pennywise is that he was meant to look disarming enough to get kids close, before the evil shone through.

What dumb ass kid would approach that monstrosity?

I agree but I think it's worth remembering this is a promo shot so what we get in that opening scene might be a disarming Pennywise before he show's his true nature.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I agree but I think it's worth remembering this is a promo shot so what we get in that opening scene might be a disarming Pennywise before he show's his true nature.

That's what I'm thinking but they're kinda blowing their load, if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Relax everyone. Apparently Stephen King loves this adaptation. :pac:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/839233720280309761

If you'd still prefer to revel in the 1990 tv version, there's a fan-made documentary on the way, in which Tim Curry will contribute. Speaking of which;

pennywise-doc.jpg?resize=620%2C400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Tony EH wrote: »
    1. They won't beat Tim Curry

2. They won't have the er...guts? to keep King's (frankly fucked up) "ending" in 1958.

3. They'll screw it up and make Pennywise not scary by trying to hard to make him scary. He's supposed to be a "cross between Bozo and Clarabell".

What was the screwed up ending in 1958 can i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What was the screwed up ending in 1958 can i ask?

Not to put too fine a point on it
    child orgy/gangbang
    as far as I recall. (By the way, I'm deadly serious with that in case you think I'm creepily taking the piss in a similarly f*cked up manner!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭nc6000

When is this due out? I must read the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

nc6000 wrote: »
    When is this due out? I must read the book.

Towards the end of 2017. Trailer meant to be with the dark tower which is a summer release.

In the book the clown was able to put the kids into a trace and lure them towards it so it doesn't matter how it looks, some kids managed to snap out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

That's good because it kind of reminds us that this thing is pure evil and doesn't fully understand or is able to make that connection to the real world regards kids' perception of what it is they'll be drawn to. So you have this manifestation that's rough around the edges.

I didn't know that about Pennywise on the book. I can see it in a different light now which is good as I was concerned before.

I recall there was a part in the book where one of the kids hears noises coming from a water tower, he goes inside and can smell popcorn and things coming from upstairs, he can hear the fairground and sees the clown at the top of the stairs, he goes up the stairs in a trance. He's almost at the top when he snaps out of it and realises that a carnival in a water tower makes no sense. Once Pennywise realises his trance is no longer working he runs after the child.

The first trailer is rumoured for Wednesday (based on countdown tweets from the director).

Looking forward to it but strange that we're getting a trailer for this before The Dark Tower has even had one, given the latter is released in July while It is on September.

First poster looks very creepy. I hope this version doesn't repeat the floating obsession the original movie had, it worked for the Georgie scene but fells forced in the rest of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

ps3lover wrote: »
    First poster looks very creepy. I hope this version doesn't repeat the floating obsession the original movie had, it worked for the Georgie scene but fells forced in the rest of it.
    From seeing the teaser for the teaser yesterday, they are definitely going the same way.  Looking forward to seeing the trailer later today whenever it's released!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That's a really great trailer. Can't wait for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That looks fantastic

Yeah, was a huge skpetic on the posters but that looks like it could be very good... the last 2 seconds there! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fantastic trailer.

Generally a positive trailer, although a lot will depend on how Skarsgård does Pennywise's voice, and how annoying the child actors are/aren't. :pac: Stranger Things didn't do them any favours by having a largely excellent child cast, in a story largely influenced by It.

I think you can hear a little bit of Pennywise's voice in the we all float down here voice over.

Nice enough trailer while protecting its big gun. Loved the slow slide reveal. Sinister as hell.

Set it's a 80's Losers Club then? Don't like that change for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

The original IT mobile was a made for to mini series and they had to deal with watersheds etc, from what I have read the people who have made this movie says it's no holds barred. It's supposed to be dark f**ked up ****. One of those movies that will stay in ur mind months after you see it.
    Can't wait to see Pennywise.. of course Tim Curry is always gonna be top but I think skarsgaard is gonna make this role his own too. From what they say there will be. A lot of dark stuff from the book that was left out of the original movie..

Have to say Stephen King wrote an absolute masterpiece. Can't wait to see this. I think it will surprise all the skeptics

Advertisement