Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

CIP4 wrote: »
    There are a few that wouldn’t quote me online when I was trying today. It’s unfortunate when you search my reg what comes up as ‘GOLF GTI Performance 245’

Even though tbh I wouldn’t consider my car to be a big performance car.

But it is a performance car though (imo). 245 bhp 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and will do 155 mph. If it was a gtd you'd be right but it's not.

But yeah I can understand when the word "performance" is being flashed in front of the insurance companies your probably like FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I found this video interesting in how the lesser powered car just takes off in comparison. Really illustrates the importance of weight.

182 bhp Clio weighs 1080 kg, so 168bhp per tonne.

Compared with most modern stuff that's serious power to weight, and that video really shows the difference. Weight of cars is rarely really mentioned when talking performance, it's nearly always just peak power figures.

That and his previous video is where my new found interest for the Clio originated. 166k miles and it still left the newer one. Was looking at vrt prices for them. Think around 700 for a 04-05.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The 172 is even lighter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That and his previous video is where my new found interest for the Clio originated. 166k miles and it still left the newer one. Was looking at vrt prices for them. Think around 700 for a 04-05.

Yeah I was looking a lot pre covid19, but that put the brakes on that idea. That power to weight would need about 270bhp in anything mid sized now. Also means it brakes much better and corners better.

Not much progress in performance at all. Engine output just trying to keep up with pulling electric heated seats and panoramic sunroofs along down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 172 is even lighter again.

There were changes to the regulations in how cars had to be weighed for kerbweoght around the time they rejigged the MK2 Clio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking a lot pre covid19, but that put the brakes on that idea. That power to weight would need about 270bhp in anything mid sized now. Also means it brakes much better and corners better.

Not much progress in performance at all. Engine output just trying to keep up with pulling electric heated seats and panoramic sunroofs along down the road.

I drove a facelift Clio 197 on the Nurburgring and before driving it I couldn't wait because have always admired them since seeing one of the first ones out in 2006. They handle unbelievably well mind blowing how they stick to the road at high speed. But in terms of power I was really disappointed you had to drive it really hard to get performance out of it and below 3K revs forget about it.

197bhp is fine but the 215NM of toque is the issue. TBH I still really loved it and would like to own one but I wouldn't be buying it and expecting it to be some kind of a rocket. And that's not me trying to talk up my GTI or make out I think anything less than 200bhp is slow I was used to a 1.4Tfsi A4 back when I drove that.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There were changes to the regulations in how cars had to be weighed for kerbweoght around the time they rejigged the MK2 Clio

I don't get you. Like what changes?

Or are you saying the 182 is lighter than what is stated?

I don't get you. Like what changes?

Or are you saying the 182 is lighter than what is stated?

Like what oil/fuel you carried and stuff. I think either the earlier ones are heavier than made out, or the newer ones are lighter than made out. Not talking about Cup models or anything, standard ones.

Like what fuel you carried and stuff.

I get you so they used to state the weight of a car when empty. No fuel and now they probably include a full or half tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Maybe outside of Dublin :pac:

They're rare in the capital also.

To be fair anything pre F generation is rare enough now, E9Xs probably the last of the non F series BMs that's still around in decent numbers.

They're rare in the capital also.

To be fair anything pre F generation is rare enough now, E9Xs probably the last of the non F series BMs that's still around in decent numbers.

I dunno tbh. Fair enough there not as common as the F10s now but I wouldn't say rare. The E39 they're rare. Lot of the ones on Done deal are high mileage so many are probably approaching their end. Chain issues probably wrote off a few as well.

Drove an F10 a few months ago and while a lovely inside and to drive I didn't like how long the front was. In saying that I wouldn't turn my nose up at an M Sport but not a fan of the SE in them.

Yea there's still a lot of e90s about, defiantly noticed more since I got mine, lots of petrols and e92 in particular. Though I think that's always the case when you buy something. Think the 08 onwards 2.0l petrols are cheap tax iirc ? Probably why there's still lots about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Drove an F10 a few months ago and while a lovely inside and to drive I didn't like how long the front was. In saying that I wouldn't turn my nose up at an M Sport but not a fan of the SE in them.

I've an F10, I can't say I've noticed anything particularly odd about the front. Are you talking aesthetics only, or something to do with the driving experience?

I've an F10, I can't say I've noticed anything particularly odd about the front. Are you talking aesthetics only, or something to do with the driving experience?

Just the aesthetics. My first impressions when I was driving it was the length of the bonnet like an old jag or something. Sure id get used to it if I was to own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Will all NCTs be cancelled does anyone know? Or are they an essential service?

NCT website says they're still running but that might not have been updated yet. Can ring them later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd be surprised if the nct centres closed, can't really just give people a pass to not nct their car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They're all closed today, to be decided if they will stay closed for the two weeks . It's up on the RSA twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

They've updated saying NCTs are essential so tests will go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Bit of a bummer alright with new closures

I'm in the category of essential workers, so I am traveling to and from work by car because of early starts and late finishes

but my car is due a service in 2,500miles , so I'm not sure how to go about that

I could probably order parts and oil myself but that would break the full service history

Anyone else in a similar position ?

As far as I know yes the NCT will be closed

I'm in the category of essential workers, so I am traveling to and from work by car because of early starts and late finishes

but my car is due a service in 2,500miles , so I'm not sure how to go about that

I could probably order parts and oil myself but that would break the full service history

Yes I am considered essential so same except my car is due a service in 800km :o

Had actually planned on booking it in Monday that was before the announcement last night. Ah it’s not going to blow up if I go slightly over and if it comes to it there are enough cars at home to use. But the ways things are for the next two weeks I will really only be using it to commute to work which is only about 50km per day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Damien360

Yes. Mine is a Leaseplan skoda due every 30000km. It's now due and I cover 1000km per week on average depending on customers (mostly pharma). Needs brake pads and cabin filter at the moment. Not comfortable going at brakes but cabin filter looks a simple job.

Anyone know any car insurance companies that will quote online for people with no NCB (not for me) for most you seem to need at least 1 years NCB before they will quote. No claims just a case of having no NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The official Government advice is that retailers involved in the repair of motor vehicles, motorcycles and bicycle repair and related facilities (tyre sales and repairs for example) and can offer an emergency call-out or delivery service can continue to operate on that basis ONLY.

So it sounds like you can't get the car serviced during this lock-down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

CIP4 wrote: »
    Anyone know any car insurance companies that will quote online for people with no NCB (not for me) for most you seem to need at least 1 years NCB before they will quote. No claims just a case of having no NCB.

XSdirect.ie

https://xsdirect.ie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99rRite96AIVibbtCh2uOQDnEAAYAiAAEgKdQPD_BwE

You’d want to be really stuck!

You’d want to be really stuck!

But is there anything wrong with their policies other than the high excess ? They seem to have been around a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Meant to be fairly expensive too but they’ll give you the no claims bonus you need... Just don’t crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

For all looking for mechanics in Dublin, a friend if mine is still operation his indipentant garage, if it's alright with the Mods I can pass on their info.
    Working only on a booking basis, can also collect cars on a flat bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement