Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Out of interest, since it's coming up on another thread, is there a difference between PCP and a lease? I don't hear the latter being talked about much on here, but the wiki page indicates that the purchase at the end is mandatory whilst a lease here in the US allows you to just walk away at the end of the lease period if you don't want to buy at residual cost. If so, is there a reason why leasing has not taken off in Ireland?

If it makes you guys feel less hard-done by, my insurance here in Texas is over $1,500 for the year on the 2015 BMW 550. Even the 15-year-old S4 is $900. My insurance shot up compared to California (I think the hailstorms are the main reason). On the other hand, I pay $52.50/year on tax, so it's not all hard-done by.

My comprehensive insurance on my 5.7 V8 Jeep is about €240 and no tax here in Oman. Parts are stupid expensive though, I had a tip almost 2 weeks ago and there has been no work done as they can't get parts for about a month. Swings and roundabouts.

Out of interest, since it's coming up on another thread, is there a difference between PCP and a lease? I don't hear the latter being talked about much on here, but the wiki page indicates that the purchase at the end is mandatory whilst a lease here in the US allows you to just walk away at the end of the lease period if you don't want to buy at residual cost. If so, is there a reason why leasing has not taken off in Ireland?...........

In Ireland leases are only for companies, a private individual can't lease a car. If a company does the lease payment typically included tyres, servicing and motor tax etc for the lease fee. The thing can be bought at the end of lease if you want I think.

Hyundai have the detail on their site...... https://www.hyundai.ie/fleet

A Tuscan is €33,245 RRP, leasing over 48 Months is €435/month ex VAT.
    So €25k to lease a €33k car ....... based on 15,000 KM per annum.

"WHY CHOOSE HYUNDAI LEASING?
    Eliminate all the financial and residual risks of disposing of your vehicles at the end of your chosen term and avail of off-balance sheet funding, improving your balance sheet ratios. Rentals can be offset against profits and you can reclaim 20% of the VAT on the finance rental of Passenger vehicles, and 100% of the VAT on maintenance"

If the thing was financed it would be €800/month over 60 months hire purchase so there's merit in business leasing.

PCP is for private individuals, a deposit and a monthly payment over 3 years and approx 55% of the car is then paid off, you can walk away carless or pay the 45% ish ballon payment or trade in for a new one whereby there might well be equity in the trade in to cover the deposit of the new yoke.

OSI wrote: »
    45% seems like a very high number for GFMV, most I've seen are around 33% or less.

Apologies............ when I was looking at PCP 4 years ago they were about that........
    Car RRP GFMP %
    BMW 330e M Sport €53,550 €24,243 45
    A4 2.0TDI 150 ULTRA €39,600 €17,825 45
    A6 2.0TDI 150 SE €45,350 €20,025 44
    BMW 420i SE Gran Coupe €45,350 €21,006 46

That said I dunno how many PCPs are under 33%?

A quick look at skoda shows.......for a 2.0TDi Superb

RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICE
    €33,960.00
    DEPOSIT PERCENTAGE
    30%
    DEPOSIT
    €10,188.00
    AMOUNT FINANCED
    €23,772.00
    PERIOD (MONTHS)
    36 Months
    ANNUAL MILEAGE ('000S)
    20km
    FINAL PAYMENT
    €13,924.00
    36 MONTHLY PAYMENTS OF
    €273.55 ........... that's 41% GFMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Anybody here VRT a car where they had to manually assess the omsp? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Anybody here VRT a car where they had to manually assess the omsp? How long did it take for them to get back to you?
    Yes
    Model S

Took them about 2 weeks to get back, you'll get a phone call with the amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

CIP4 wrote: »
    Ironically woke up to similar I got an email with my renewal €1070 this morning I was expecting about €900. Will shop around should definitely be able to get it down a bit from that anyway.

I got an email during the week saying liberty were doing 20% off all policies this week only.

AXA €692 that is only the second company I have tried. The cheapest insurance I ever had was on my A4 B9 at €650. But at 25 on a Golf GTI €692 is not bad at all.

Plus they offer comprehensive cover on driving other cars for only 37 euro extra which seems like a no brainer will try another few places though. Off work tomorrow so have time to search properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

123.ie, €672 fully comp on the Scooby and I'm in Tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You must be getting old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

AXA €692 that is only the second company I have tried. The cheapest insurance I ever had was on my A4 B9 at €650. But at 25 on a Golf GTI €692 is not bad at all.

Plus they offer comprehensive cover on driving other cars for only 37 euro extra which seems like a no brainer will try another few places though. Off work tomorrow so have time to search properly.

That's really good, I'd be shocked if you did better. I'm a year older than you and paying 675 on the 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

....Plus they offer comprehensive cover on driving other cars for only 37 euro extra which seems like a no brainer...

How does that actually work - does the "other" car need to have a valid insurance policy under someone else name? Does the "other" car need to be registered to someone else?

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    How does that actually work - does the "other" car need to have a valid insurance policy under someone else name? Does the "other" car need to be registered to someone else?

It would have to be registered to someone else yes. But the case of it needing an valid insurance varies between different companies.

That's really good, I'd be shocked if you did better. I'm a year older than you and paying 675 on the 320d.

Yes I went with it tried about 12 places online next cheapest was about €800. I am a bit early as I still have nearly a month till my renewal date but its a good deal so I jumped on it if I risked leaving it 3 weeks it may have gone up.

I rang them to pay for it and the guy was confirming details as they normally do. He said 'Your car is a 2018 VW Golf GTI Performance 245bhp that's some car' I was like thanks just funny as they normally never comment.
    Muppet Man wrote: »

With AXA the car has to be in someone else's name, have valid NCT and Tax but doesn't actually need to have an insurance policy on the car. Which often it would need its own valid insurance policy in the car owners name for the third party extension to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I am a bit early as I still have nearly a month till my renewal date but its a good deal so I jumped on it if I risked leaving it 3 weeks it may have gone up.

Quotes are generally good for a month/4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Just renewed, €1330 on a 2007 Swift Sport.
    I'm 29, live in Tallaght andni have 3 points and 1 claim in the last 3 years.
    That's €500 less than last year so I'm good with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just tried 123 and got €454, that's near €300 cheaper than Axa..
    Few more of the usuals to try, but that's by far the cheapest so far.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Quotes are generally good for a month/4 weeks

This one was 5 days.

I'm still on the road going to and from work (N7).
    Gone from 55/60mins in to 30/35mins.
    Roads are "empty" but it's become so clear that trucks overtaking each other for 3/4km is a major cause of tailbacks.
    This morning there was 3 trucks side by side for at least 2km.
    Absolute pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Roads are "empty" but it's become so clear that trucks overtaking each other for 3/4km is a major cause of tailbacks.
    Absolute pricks.

That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

I'm still on the road going to and from work (N7).
    Gone from 55/60mins in to 30/35mins.
    Absolute pricks.

I thought that was illegal or is that only on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I thought that was illegal or is that only on the motorway?

No it is illegal and fcuking ridiculous, I was up there last week and the amount of Trucks crawling along in the middle lane was unbelievable...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Just tried 123 and got €454, that's near €300 cheaper than Axa..
    Few more of the usuals to try, but that's by far the cheapest so far.

That's who I'm with, everyone else was just mental money for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Truckermal wrote: »
    No it is illegal and fcuking ridiculous, I was up there last week and the amount of Trucks crawling along in the middle lane was unbelievable...:mad:

Get a picture/dashcam next time if possible and report to traffic watch. The elephant races are annoying enough in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€600 is the cheapest proper insurance I can get on the Octavia (with stuff like bonus protection, breakdown, windscreen, low excess etc)
    Loads of companies over the €1000. Spoke to a few and apparently the 2.0 TDI is in a high grouping. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €600 is the cheapest proper insurance I can get on the Octavia (with stuff like bonus protection, breakdown, windscreen, low excess etc)
    Loads of companies over the €1000. Spoke to a few and apparently the 2.0 TDI is in a high grouping. FML.

Ah see you went for the high powered performance race car.... Mad how they come up with these figures...

Ah see you went for the high powered performance race car.... Mad how they come up with these figures...

Priced it using my mates IS300h and it was cheaper.

Fifth Gear have being realising lots of old clips and full episodes on YouTube lately.

The one from today is the E60 and as expected it wasn't well received. I know some won't share the same opinion, especially E39 fans but I still think the E60 was a great looking car when it came out and even today......in the right spec and colour.

I'll admit though that depending on what alloy wheels are on it makes a big difference. The ones in the clip below are the nicest for the SE as with the Spider alloys for the M Sport. The rest aren't great imo.

They’re becoming quite rare in Ireland.

They’re becoming quite rare in Ireland.

Maybe outside of Dublin :pac:

There are a few that wouldn’t quote me online when I was trying today. It’s unfortunate when you search my reg what comes up as ‘GOLF GTI Performance 245’

Even though tbh I wouldn’t consider my car to be a big performance car. I drove the parents Leon 2.0TDI this evening I think the insurance companies are safe enough :pac: although I suppose it is all relative it’s quick compared to a 1.0tsi or 1.6TDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

ELM327 wrote: »
    You must be getting old!

Wait until you hear how much my classic policy is on the Skyline... €140 :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement