Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Seen a dealer has an new S4 they are diesel now 3.0TDI V6 350bhp 700NM. The fact they have switched to diesel would be a bit of a downer for me. However I would still imagine it’s a very impressive performance wise and I would love to drive one. I was in a new enough A6 330bhp 3.0TDI V6 and it really was unbelievable for such a big car it absolutely stuck you to the seat it was hard to even believe it was a Diesel engine under bonnet. 77k price tag on the S4 doubt we will see too many going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I’m m sure it’s a great car but the fake quad exhausts on the s4 just kill the desire for me.
    I would rather no exhaust pipe than what they have done.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I’m m sure it’s a great car but the fake quad exhausts on the s4 just kill the desire for me.
    I would rather no exhaust pipe than what they have done.

Didn't realise that they are fake whatever about putting the fake exhausts on the standard model doing it on the S4 is definitely not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    Didn't realise that they are fake whatever about putting the fake exhausts on the standard model doing it on the S4 is definitely not right at all.

The are some of the worst fake exhausts i've seen too, don't know what they were thinking. It also seems like one of the most underwhelming cars ever from any decent review i've seen. At least the 3 and 8 are staying petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭jmreire

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Question
    The estate I live in is still being built. The work vehicles - diggers, telehandler etc are up and down the road all day every day. They drop muck. When it's dry, the muck turns to dust. They and all other cars raise the dust along with the wind. My nice clean car gets covered in dust every day. Apart from being highly annoying - how best can I get rid of that dust? I've been using a microfibre towel and lightly pulling it across the surface, not sure is that great for the paint though?

Dry cloth + fine ( or not so fine ) dust = same effect as sandpaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Some epic comments in this Twitter thread 😁

https://twitter.com/Only9built/status/1242080758094856192?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Some of the cars in the more tweets bit below it though are whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Had to look very closely at that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yeah but it's a daily occurrence so don't want to be dragging out the hose every day.

Do what we did in Derry many moons ago,this crap went on for yonks, and the kids were dragging in muck n dirt ,
    all the mammies in the estate blocked the road until the builders rep came on board and agreed to wash and hose the road twice daily,and they fecked up once ie not cleaning / hosing and tbe women n kids blocked tbe the one way in again- result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Thicko question, would a low noise tyre wear more quickly? Would the compound be softer?

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    Thicko question, would a low noise tyre wear more quickly? Would the compound be softer?

That was my assumption or more so that the cheaper ones have a harder compound making them long lasting but loud and sh1te. Someone with more knowledge can probably answer better though.

I think I have a warped front brake disc :( getting a lot of vibration under heavy braking around 70kmh. Will be a bit of a sickener to have to change the discs and pads when they aren’t that worn if that’s what’s causing it. Plus it has the bigger front discs so can’t imagine they will be too cheap.

Tends to be a more common thing on automatics unfortunately.

Tends to be a more common thing on automatics unfortunately.

Yes its due a service in the next few weeks so I will get them to check it out but I would imagine its that getting progressively worse last while not terrible by any means but there is a vibration none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You'd want to be fairly hammering on the brakes to get them to overheat enough to warp, you haven't noticed a drag in the car at all?
    Loss off acceleration, pulling to one side slightly?

CianRyan wrote: »
    You'd want to be fairly hammering on the brakes to get them to overheat enough to warp, you haven't noticed a drag in the car at all?
    Loss off acceleration, pulling to one side slightly?

No none of that the car moves freely as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No none of that the car moves freely as normal.

Then I imagine you must have been driving it quite hard. :P

Once nothing is seized you could get away with only changing the discs so long as the pads have enough braking material left and they have worn evenly. Not something I'd do in work but it's certainly something I do on my own cars. Be damned if I'm wasting good parts!

They'll just need a few KM's to bed into the new surface as they'll have worn into the shape of the old disc.

In the past few days of self isolation it dawned on me that the e90 is de-badged. Might just leave it as it but wouldn't mind a few opinions.

Screenshot-20200324-210459-Gallery.jpg

Then I imagine you must have been driving it quite hard. :P

Once nothing is seized you could get away with only changing the discs so long as the pads have enough braking material left and they have worn evenly. Not something I'd do in work but it's certainly something I do on my own cars. Be damned if I'm wasting good parts!

They'll just need a few KM's to bed into the new surface as they'll have worn into the shape of the old disc.

Yes I’ll see what the garage say but I can’t think of anything else that would have them kind of symptoms. I would guess the discs will be the far higher cost so might just replace the pads with them.

I must check is there much wear on them checked them when I was buying it and they were fine but I haven’t looked at them since there is only 44k Km on the car. There is no major lip on the discs or anything like that.

In the past few days of self isolation it dawned on me that the e90 is de-badged. Might just leave it as it but wouldn't mind a few opinions.

I would prefer the look with the badge but just depends on your personnel preference.

• Advertisement

If they were warped it wouldn't just be noticed at 70kph surely? Is it through brake pedal or the steering wheel you're noticing it?

Augeo wrote: »
    If they were warped it wouldn't just be noticed at 70kph surely? Is it through brake pedal or the steering wheel you're noticing it?

Steering and the car itself like a passenger would notice it. Well it’s worst around 70kmh but noticeable 50-80 kmh the harder you brake the worse it is. If you brake very gently it’s minimal / not noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

De-badging is nice on an M3, or maybe a 335... But a 318/320...

Nah.

Steering and the car itself like a passenger would notice it. Well it’s worst around 70kmh but noticeable 50-80 kmh the harder you brake the worse it is. If you brake very gently it’s minimal / not noticeable.

That's more likely a sticky caliper than a warped disc. You'd feel the disc through the pedal and will always be there regardless of gentle or aggressive braking.

That's more likely a sticky caliper than a warped disc. You'd feel the disc through the pedal and will always be there regardless of gentle or aggressive braking.

Makes sense. Will wait and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

From being through similar symptoms on my own car, I believe a warped disk on a road car is a very rare thing. Possible pad deposits on disk from sitting on the brakes after the disks were hot.
    To clear this you can do a number of really heavy braking runs from say 70mph to 10mph. Don't ever stop fully though, do it maybe 7 or 8 times until your brakes begin to fade. This will clear the pad deposits on the disks. You have to be able to cruise for 5 mins after your last stop to allow the brakes to cool themselves and so you don't rest the pads on the glowing disks again.

Could also be a worn suspension bush. That's what mine turned out to be in the end, albeit not on a golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Most VW products have impressively low quality discs. It wouldnt be too unusual to see a Mk7 Golf needing discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You'd want to be fairly hammering on the brakes to get them to overheat enough to warp,

I had a sticky caliper a few months ago. And got home and out of the car looked at the disc and it was glowing red. I'm still raging I never took a picture. It was as if it had just come out of a forge.

De-badging is nice on an M3, or maybe a 335... But a 318/320...

Nah.

Do you reckon it would of being done at some stage by a previous owner or could it off come out of the factory like that ?

I'll probably end up leaving it as it is as id feel a badge would be an unnecessary expense tbh. I've put enough into it already. Can only imagine what one would cost of BM.

• Advertisement

Do you reckon it would of being done at some stage by a previous owner or could it off come out of the factory like that ?

I'll probably end up leaving it as it is as id feel a badge would be an unnecessary expense tbh. I've put enough into it already. Can only imagine what one would cost of BM.

Absolutely, these days it actually COSTS customers to debadge their cars!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement