Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen King's It

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the Stan scene, where he's been eating.

That is a vital scene for the next film

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the Stan scene, where he's been eating.

That is a vital scene for the next film

How so?

Loughc wrote: »
    How so?

While he was been eating, think about why his body was so calm and what he was looking at/saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

While he was been eating, think about why his body was so calm and what he was looking at/saw.

Go on?

I'm confused. I've read the book and seen the film. I'm on my phone so can't use spoilers. Are you talking about the scene towards the end that takes place in the house? What was it he was supposed to be looking at?

I think I know what you are referring to. In the book we find out a lot more about IT and where he comes from. We also are introduced to the children as adults.

I can;t use spoilers so block if needs be...

Basically, Stan's body was still and calm...All It's victims are like that.
    Why?
    In Stan's case, he saw the Deadlights and it has an affect on him for the rest of his life and the character's role in the 2nd movie

Before you ask, I've no clue why Bev was cured

I can;t use spoilers so block if needs be...

Basically, Stan's body was still and calm...All It's victims are like that.
    Why?
    In Stan's case, he saw the Deadlights and it has an affect on him for the rest of his life and the character's role in the 2nd movie

Before you ask, I've no clue why Bev was cured

The Deadlights are what I thought you meant alright. I think Stan was more susceptible to the power of Pennywise whereas Beverely was stronger. He preyed on fear. Stan could never get over the trauma of what happened. As for Bev being "cured" well there was the kiss. There is something special about the kids when they are together and Bev being female seems to have something to do with it. I need to read the book again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

razorblunt wrote: »
    Really liked this, currently reading the book.

The adults were more monsters at time than IT!

Yeah, that's part of the essence of the story for me. Most of the kids' characters are shaped by the negative home-life they experience. Every 27 years is about as long as it takes for one generation to inflict pain on the next. I see IT as being a synonym for the darkness that inevitably surfaces as children grow and become aware of the world around them, begin to lose innocence etc.

As for the film, loved it BUT I disliked the choice of
    making Beverly a damsel in distress,
    given how kick-ass her character is. No need for that. There were a few set-pieces from the book I'd have like to have seen too, but you can't have everything. What we got was pitch-perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

In the book Stan didn't see the deadlights as far as I recall. Although I agree that the manner in which
    the twisted woman was feeding on him could well indicate that they will have him flashing back to that in the second film. Doesn't explain why he got straight up after they chased her away whereas Bev was in a trance. Stan should have been the same if he had indeed been throat deep in the deadlights.

Stan just couldn't handle Pennywise in general because he was a logical thinker and the existence of Pennywise messed with his entire outlook on life.

He just about managed to get through the episode as a child but:
    the thought of it all happening again and him having to face that turmoil again was too much so he killed himself.

PS, to use spoilers just type:

[.SPOILER.] before the text you want to hide and:

[/.SPOILER.] after it.

Except leave the full stops out of the spoiler tags. I just out them in there so that they wouldn't turn into spoiler tags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I think I know what you are referring to. In the book we find out a lot more about IT and where he comes from. We also are introduced to the children as adults.

I wonder how they're going to handle the second film.
    Will we see comets? Will we see clubhouses?
    I heard the children are going to feature in the second film so we'll probably get some flashbacks.
    I sincerely doubt if any child orgies are going to feature.

Well I think that the director has stated that in the second film Mike...
    will be obsessed about IT and how to defeat it if/when it returns and although he does seem like he will be the librarian, he will have a drug fuelled experience similar to that of the boys in the smoke house in which he will come to understand the ritual of chud which means that the eventual defeat of IT will come in a similar manner to the book.

It will always be a difficult thing to portray in a film but when I was explaining it to my wife she asked if it was similar to Professor Xavier fighting the bad guy in X-Men Armageddon. Where the Professor is lying unconscious in a building but having this huge battle with the enemy in their shared consciousness. That worked pretty well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tony EH wrote: »
    Skarsgard's is like 2nd prize in a "Draw a scary clown" competition.

Curry's is just creepy and unnerving in that esoteric way that people find clowns creepy.

Also, Pennywise wasn't meant to be scary. He's supposed to just look like a "common or garden" clown. That's how he draws kids in.

No child on the planet would approach Skarsgard's Pennywise.

In the old miniseries they wanted to have Tim Curry wearing face prosthetics and looking like a scary nightmare clown. But he said the makeup should be as low key as possible and thankfully they listened to him. The big bulbous head was the one thing they insisted on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Let's face it, Tim Curry can make even a girl scout seem creepy! :pac:

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Curry said the following regarding the IT remake and the "new" Pennywise:
    I like Skarsgard very much. I think he's very clever. It'll be interesting to see what sort of clown face he puts on. Because it's not an obvious clown face, at all. So, I'm fascinated to see it. I hope they make the end better, because on TV I turned into a sort of giant spider. And it was not very scary.
    I think the last line is something we can all agree on..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All I could think of was "
    Poor Stan
    "...
    Watched it last night, very good, right on the "Stand By Me with cosmic horror" vibe of the book.
    What a pity then that the Dark Tower movie couldn't have been more like it/IT.
    Also hoping that Part II won't be too far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All I could think of was "
    Poor Stan
    "...
    Watched it last night, very good, right on the "Stand By Me with cosmic horror" vibe of the book.
    What a pity then that the Dark Tower movie couldn't have been more like it/IT.
    Also hoping that Part II won't be too far behind.

Yes, a real pity.
    It's a pity, that the rights to King's works are all over the place becuase it would be nice to have the likes of the stand, IT, Salem Lot etc as the standalones and the Dark Tower series bringing all the strands together.
    I think it's the only way the Tower series would work.
    But then, do we need another cinematic universe?
    Yes, if it's based on King's stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Yes, a real pity.
    It's a pity, that the rights to King's works are all over the place becuase it would be nice to have the likes of the stand, IT, Salem Lot etc as the standalones and the Dark Tower series bringing all the strands together.
    I think it's the only way the Tower series would work.
    But then, do we need another cinematic universe?
    Yes, if it's based on King's stuff.

As cool as that sounds, absolutely not. No more cinematic universes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Got to see it last night. Enjoyed it but wanted it to be more of a horror and less of a 80s homage.

Cinema packed. Took away from it.

Constant shouting - laughing -screaming -more laughing. Fart and barfing jokes from grown adults.

Felt like I was in a 3 ring circus.

Complained on the way out to no avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,182 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Got to see it last night. Enjoyed it but wanted it to be more of a horror and less of a 80s homage.

Cinema packed. Took away from it.

Constant shouting - laughing -screaming -more laughing. Fart and barfing jokes from grown adults.

Felt like I was in a 3 ring circus.

Complained on the way out to no avail.

Not much they can do after the movie

• Advertisement

Not much they can do after the movie

I asked for a refund and they ignored the request. Also they knew well about all the disruption they actually said that's what it's like every Saturday night it was worse during some other film (didn't catch name).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

IT wasn't massively intertwined with the Dark Tower, aside from a certain turtle.
    More so Salem's Lot and Fr Callaghan.
    It would be unfortunate if, when they get to the relevant stage in the movie series, assuming they do, that his presence in Wolves of Calla isn't prefaced by a new version of Salem's Lot with the same actor playing the character.
    Also, The Stand and the scene in Topeka.

IT wasn't massively intertwined with the Dark Tower, aside from a certain turtle.
    More so Salem's Lot and Fr Callaghan.
    It would be unfortunate if, when they get to the relevant stage in the movie series, assuming they do, that his presence in Wolves of Calla isn't prefaced by a new version of Salem's Lot with the same actor playing the character.
    Also, The Stand and the scene in Topeka.

Insomnia, his books with Peter Straub(black house is as connected as Salem's Lot) and desperation are heavily linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I asked for a refund and they ignored the request. Also they knew well about all the disruption they actually said that's what it's like every Saturday night it was worse during some other film (didn't catch name).

Complain during, by all means go back in if you want, at least then it's noted that you've had to leave to make the complaint. I've only every got one refund though (it was a particularly bad case) but every other time I've gotten vouchers to the value of the tickets.

Complaining afterwards is like eating your dinner in a restaurant but complaining that the steak was over cooked with an empty plate sat in front of you.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Complain during, by all means go back in if you want, at least then it's noted that you've had to leave to make the complaint. I've only every got one refund though (it was a particularly bad case) but every other time I've gotten vouchers to the value of the tickets.

Complaining afterwards is like eating your dinner in a restaurant but complaining that the steak was over cooked with an empty plate sat in front of you.

Wasn't just me complaining. Few ppl Complained during the movie also and no joy.

This has become the new normal cinema experience.

God be with the days of the ushers going around with the torches shushing people trying to munch their popcorn quietly !

Wasn't just me complaining. Few ppl Complained during the movie also and no joy.

This has become the new normal cinema experience.

God be with the days of the ushers going around with the torches shushing people trying to munch their popcorn quietly !

Depends on the cinema. There are 3 near me that I sometimes go to. Century in Letterkenny aren't too bad for behaviour watching but more importantly I just discovered last night that screen 7 has reclining armchairs!

Omniplex in Derry is a hell hole. So poorly constructed. You can sit in one screen and listen to the film next door.

Brunswick in Derry is top notch. And they have night vision monitors outside each screen so anybody acting the arse gets a visit from an usher pretty sharpish. Only downside is the leather/vinyl seats that mean your arse needs to be pealed out of them after a 2 hour+ film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Saw IT in MAXX in Cork last week. It's a pretty decent theatre but can't for the life of me figure out why nearly every time I go someone is kicking my seat. There's oceans of legroom.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Insomnia, his books with Peter Straub(black house is as connected as Salem's Lot) and desperation are heavily linked.

Oh, I know.
    Hearts in Atlantis and From a Buick 8 as well.
    Read Desperation recently, bloody brilliant book, and another Todash monster by the looks of it

Oh, I know.
    Hearts in Atlantis and From a Buick 8 as well.
    Read Desperation recently, bloody brilliant book, and another Todash monster by the looks of it

Yes Tak is another Todash monster all right. Read Regulators by Richard Bauchman - very similar author to King :)
    It's kind of a companion book to desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Watched this today - the book is my favourite and I've read it several times. I really enjoyed it. Even with the switching of the setting to the late 80s Derry was just how I imagined it. I agree that it wasn't truly scary but you know what - neither is the book. Both the book and the film would work without the clown.

It isn't Pennywise who keeps me coming back to that book; it's Bill, Bev, Ben, Eddie, Stan, Richie and Mike.

It's a shame that Mike was so under-utilised and I didn't get why they changed his backstory so much.

Only other complaint was the casting of Ben. Ben is possibly my favourite fictional character and whilst the kid they cast did all he could he was miscast, IMO. Ben should be the biggest and most physically mature of the group and that didn't come across at all in this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

If someone is inclined to act the bollox in a cinema then only one person is winning that argument if an Usher decides to challenge that person.

The unfortunate thing with these pricks is that they know someone who is only getting paid a pittance isn't going to chance escalating a matter in the fear of completely ruining the experience. They wouldn't be the ones ruining it for others of course, but they know a shouting match and stopping the film until someone MIGHT decide to leave wouldn't be good for business.

Best thing they can do is make a note of the person and inform them after the film that their business is no longer welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Chapter 2 will be released on 6th September 2019 so a bit of a wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

seen this on Sunday
    I always go to the Odeon at the point Village at about 6 on a Sunday a week or two after release  and its perfect, Its never full and they have a massive screen,
    I really really liked this movie, Its the kids that make it looking forward to the second part,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Despite really enjoying the film, we had a similar experience with the audience at the Omni in Newry. We went on a Tuesday evening and it was packed.

2 pre teen girls next to us had clearly snuck in. Both of them terrified so over the top laughter and screaming. Took numerous selfies, one of them took 2 phone calls. Then shouting at the screen "ah jaysus don't do that" for the majority of the film, until the got too scared and left before the end.

Older couple next to us, guy pointing at the screen when a jump was coming. Woman yelling "oh no!" when it became apparent what Bev's father was up to. Then clapping for joy when Bev got a bit of revenge and of course the usual saying what's going to happen right before it does, loud enough for half the row to hear.

Lots of people on phones. Obviously there was lots of over the top laughter and screaming. Which I suppose is to be expected at an evening screening of a horror film.

Mostly soured the experience though. We don't usually go in the evenings for the above reasons but thought " a bit of atmosphere" might be fun for this film. Unfortunately it just solidified the decision to not go in the evenings again.

Yeah I avoid the prime times when at all possible. As I say my local cinema are excellent and keeping idiots under control but I'm still sat in the middle of a crowd of a few hundred people eating crisps, popcorn and slurping drinks.

Noisy eating and drinking makes my skin crawl so it's not a good combo, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, went to see it today, and whilst I thought the film was pretty good, was ruined by the idiots alongside me who seemed to want to talk through the film, stare at their phones and one of them took a phone call for a few minutes in the middle of it.

They were Polish so I at least had no idea what they were saying, but serious pr1cks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, went to see it today, and whilst I thought the film was pretty good, was ruined by the idiots alongside me who seemed to want to talk through the film, stare at their phones and one of them took a phone call for a few minutes in the middle of it.

They were Polish so I at least had no idea what they were saying, but serious pr1cks.

Just ruins the whole experience. So annoying :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it (no pun intended) and really the enjoyed the film

Just saw the scene towards the end on YT again. Only copped Pennywise making fun of Bill :D

Bill:"Go! Leave! I'm the one who got you into this mess...I'm sssssssssssssssssssssss so sorry"

Pennywise: "Sssssssssssssssssssssssssss sorry hahahahaahaha"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Was funny in parts, didn't find it scary in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,182 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Noel82 wrote: »
    Was funny in parts, didn't find it scary in the least.

Probably because you're not 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Probably because you're not 3

Stranger things for e.g. I found more gripping and the general plots with kids etc aren't insanely different.

Anyhow, neither here nor there.

Egg Boy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not sure if there's a new thread for the second part but seems casting is being done for the adult roles with the following names being linked:

Beverly - Jessica Chastain (confirmed)
    Bill - James McAvoy (in talks)
    Richie - Bill Hader (in talks)

Scheduled for release September 6th 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not sure if there's a new thread for the second part but seems casting is being done for the adult roles with the following names being linked:

Beverly - Jessica Chastain (confirmed)
    Bill - James McAvoy (in talks)
    Richie - Bill Hader (in talks)

Scheduled for release September 6th 2019

Strong cast they're putting together there. Could totally see McAvoy as Bill... with the stutter bubbling underneath.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed this one.

Hopefully they go a step up for the sequel. Not in terms of enjoyment but, in terms of thrills and horror

Is Jessica Chastain confirmed? I know she was rumoured but didn't know she was definite.

I'd have preferred Amy Adams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was going by the article
    http://variety.com/2018/film/news/james-mcavoy-and-bill-hader-it-sequel-1202749616/

imdb has her listed as well while McAvoy and Hader are listed as rumoured. Though that's not always accurate.

Though she was teasing as well when she tweeted after the McAvoy news

https://twitter.com/jes_chastain/status/984590781389275136

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

For some reason I convinced myself I was harsh on this film, so I got it on 4K and rewatched it.

It really isn't a very good film. I don't have high hopes for the sequel despite a surprisingly good cast so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just watched this recently on Netflix and loved it, one of my favourite bits was the spectre flute player, disappearing from the picture frame that got a good scream from my sister when the spectre showed up.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
Advertisement