Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thirdfox wrote: »
    And it's always possible that sometimes genuine honest sellers may not know that they have replicas too if the quality is good enough. So even "buying the seller" may not be enough.

In these cases it'll only be "certified" once it goes in for an authorised service and it comes back with a service warranty - something that can be traced online (at least it can for Omega - I'm sure the other large brands offer it too). So I guess asking about service records would be useful for "no papers" watches - quite apart from knowing if the owner has actually taken care of the watch and had it serviced or just let the lube wear out over the years etc.

This is why watches with generic movements are dangerous, like ETA, Valjous and Seleta (couldnt be bothered looking up the spelling on these)...the Panerai effect. A fake watch can have a real movement, making them almost impossible to spot even to experienced owners and re-sellers, espically on a non precious watch with limited complexity of design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Jeez if a lad had a good cheltenham:rolleyes:. There is some load of nice watches on adverts.

Must resist .

That Monaco, A Sinn 103, a Grail Longines master chronograph.

Dam the fella here who sold me a steinhart Auto for €200 it'll be the most expensive bargain i ever got , as now i cant look at quartz (sweeping hands)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just Google rwi nwbig and you'll see a list of the super reps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭This is it

Where's a good bricks and mortor shop to look at watches? I like the look of lots on here but would like to try them on before committing to anything. Budget would be in and around €1k max

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    Where's a good bricks and mortor shop to look at watches? I like the look of lots on here but would like to try them on before committing to anything. Budget would be in and around €1k max

Hour passion in Kildare village for watches from the swatch group.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

aidankkk wrote: »
    Jeez if a lad had a good cheltenham:rolleyes:. There is some load of nice watches on adverts.

Must resist .

A Grail Longines master chronograph.

Seen one of these sell for €750 on Adverts a while back. No box or papers and the seller was a cash converters type of shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a long time since I last browsed Meranom's website. I owned an Amphibia before, it was a lovely watch, but too small for me. This newer and bigger one stands out to me, USD120, including shipping

Vostok_Amphibia_170863-01-480x480.webp

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭banie01

blue5000 wrote: »

That's a steal in fairness.

banie01 wrote: »
    That's a steal in fairness.

Sold.......banie01 was that you?;)

• Advertisement

Sold.......banie01 was that you?;)

Nope, I was tempted but tbh I'm a bit strapped for cash at the mo.
    I do really like the look of the Steinhart Kermit tho, and it is cheap enough that you can wear it as a tool watch without worrying about a ding affecting the kid's college find :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

That Steinhart is my daily watch. Really like it.

That Steinhart is my daily watch. Really like it.

I go back and forth between the Sinn U2 and my HKed Bund, I'll be honest tho...
    I bloody love the Bund and it is getting most of my wrist time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Yeah I liked that HKed Bund you posted previously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I never heard of these but there is some lovely watches there

Sapphire HKED ED63 Cream looks lovely

He has a couple of really nice bits.
    The emperor in blue is quite eye-catching too but out of stock a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Shows you that Chinese made stuff can be appealing too :) - it'll take time but I believe eventually enough people will come around to it - like Japanese cameras, Swiss watches (yeah Swiss watches used to be regarded as low tier stuff compared to the US/UK brands) etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

893bet wrote: »

Thats some value!!!!

Whats that particular seller like?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thats some value!!!!

Whats that particular seller like?

It’s an authorised dealer! Watches of Switzerland.

• Advertisement

It’s an authorised dealer! Watches of Switzerland.

What have we been saying about this watch for ages on the forum....I hate to say I told you so.....

What have we been saying about this watch for ages on the forum....I hate to say I told you so.....

I knew you would like that one.

They change hands on tz for 2.8-3k sterling most weeks.

The extra ten percent off on WOS makes it a good deal....I am even tempted...

Lol

Someone using my post for discount below! Own up lads!

https://www.adverts.ie/19970015

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What have people been saying? I might be in the market for one and id like to know

Hogzy wrote: »
    What have people been saying? I might be in the market for one and id like to know

That Irish 2nd hand speedy prices are unrealistically high.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lol

Someone using my post for discount below! Own up lads!

https://www.adverts.ie/19970015

It's not me (i have the same username) but it doesn't sound like he'll accept a fair offer. If it's 3665 for a new one with 5 year warranty from an AD, then a private second hand one out of warranty must only be worth €2,800 at the very most.

I'm going to sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning, I've never tried a Speedy but worst case i could return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,965 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That Irish 2nd hand speedy prices are unrealistically high.

Not just speedies. Pretty much all high end watches on adverts.ie are overpriced with not enough room for negotiation.

These sellers are making the same mistake that Irish car dealers made during the first few years of the last recession. They stick to their asking prices as the cars "stood" a certain amount of money. And then they didn't sell the cars (surprise, surprise), so they lost a fortune on the depreciation and interest, which of course keep adding up just with the passing of time...

Time wrote: »
    It's not me (i have the same username) but it doesn't sound like he'll accept a fair offer. If it's 3665 for a new one with 5 year warranty from an AD, then a private second hand one out of warranty must only be worth €2,800 at the very most.

Yep, at the very most. They have traded on the english websites for realistic money for years, but for some reason on adverts chaps put them up for mad money. They call them unworn even though they are out of their plastic and warranty is ticking down. I have called it out and been told I am a dickbag for doing that, but about once a week a thread goes up with people looking for a moonwatch.

Time wrote: »

I'm going to sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning, I've never tried a Speedy but worst case i could return it.

3k or so is about right.

Deals like the WOS one changes market perception how ever. Long ADs are shut the more deals will pop up from ADs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

dman..should have held out selling mine:P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement