Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Everyone has dealbreakers. No lume doesn't bother me, but no date drives me mental. I have 2 watches with no date and this has reminded me to stick them on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Everyone has dealbreakers. No lume doesn't bother me, but no date drives me mental. I have 2 watches with no date and this has reminded me to stick them on ebay.

hah, I am the opposite - I rotate watches too frequently to be arsed with changing the date

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

put em up for sale here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah, it's whatever you get used to I think. If you get used to a functionality, something that you actually use, then it's a pain when it's not available to you anymore.
    Like I couldn't be without a unidirectional bezel for timing stuff - Pasta, or any kind of baking or roasting that is usually under an hour - or a stopwatch /countdown timer on a digital watch.

Waking during the night and not being able to tell the time has consigned a succession of watches immediately to the drawer and ultimately up for sale.

Thing is, I went back to my garmin smart watch recently, and it has SO much functionality that I'm finding it difficult to tear myself away from it and all my (well, I only have two others) watches are being ignored. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fat bloke wrote: »
    Thing is, I went back to my garmin smart watch recently, and it has SO much functionality that I'm finding it difficult to tear myself away from it and all my (well, I only have two others) watches are being ignored. :o

I know exactly what you mean, I've gotten into the habit of wearing my miband and a wristwatch simultaneously.
    Both on the left wrist watch on back of wrist and hand on the front.
    Gets my activity tracking and sexy watch urges sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

banie01 wrote: »
    I know exactly what you mean, I've gotten into the habit of wearing my miband and a wristwatch simultaneously.

Through work, I've been able to try quite a few smart/hybrid and pure fitness watch type thingies.

Not one floated my boat.

I love my proper watches (or proper to me at any rate).

What is a good, no-screen fitness band that will Bluetooth to my phone for stats dumping? Don't want anything fancy — closer to a rubber band to go on my right wrist the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'm the same like wearing normal watches too much and I don't think the tech is quite there yet. When e sims are supported in Ireland and in another generation or two I'll get one. It will never be my main watch though. Would be really handy though to be able to go out for a run or cycle without the phone.

Did want a tracker Fitbit inspire HR is the most compact one I could find. Wear it on my right wrist all the time. Can track heart rate, sleep, steps, exercise. Not as accurate as my garmins for running or cycling unless piggybacking on the phone's gps but still does a fairly good job. Does record swimming fairly well but again not as much info as my garmin. Battery last's 4/5 days quick 10min charge will get you trough the day if it's low. Has some basic smart functions you can view msgs/notifications and see incoming calls. There is cheaper ones Mi, Honour, Xiaomi etc but don't think any of them are a compact or work as well as the Inspire.

I was resisting buying a full smartwatch for the above reasons but there was a deal two weeks ago on the Fossil Sport Wear OS watch for £62 so took a chance on it. I do like it it shows the potential but I certainly wouldn't have been happy with at the full €250 rrp! Battery only lasts a day less with heavy use. It's laggy and still tied to the phone. Doesn't continuously track HR like my fitbit, needs 3rd party app for sleep and doesn't do it as well as fitbit. Supposed to charge in an hour takes closer to two for a full charge.

It does have gps and can play music through bluetooth without the phone so it it's handy for walks to leave the phone at home. We got a now 7 month old retriever so my new pastime is walking everyday the last few months and my walks are getting longer all the time! And of course I don't always have the kids company that I was promised!

For cycling and running though I'll still use my garmins. Would be nice if could replace my fitbit sometimes but I'll continue wearing that on my right wrist and rotating watches on the left! Fossil will still be used though for music when I don't want to carry my phone or for times I can't look at my phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wristwatch on left, miband on right (until it gave me a rash and I essentially stopped moving, working from home)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

As a techie kind of guy my understanding is that currently Apple is the only smart watch worth looking at (at rrp prices) - this is because they use their own chips to power their devices and can/do want to push the platform forwards.

Qualcomm is the chip maker behind all of the Android WearOS - the ETA of chips I guess and they have shown very, very little interest in making new chips for the market. So all Android smart watches are pretty much beholden to Qualcomm and their chip limitations. Apple (like em or hate em) though their "in-house" "movements" can do things that other Android smart watch makers simply can't right now.

More info on the tech side of things:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/googles-fossil-deal-wont-save-wear-os/
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/android-wear-is-getting-killed-and-its-all-qualcomms-fault/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Was in the same boat , wearing watch on one arm and tracker on other. Then I bought Apple Watch and wear it when our exercising, but lately have been wearing it more and found it easy to read with big digits and easy to read at night..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

Was in the same boat , wearing watch on one arm and tracker on other. Then I bought Apple Watch and wear it when our exercising, but lately have been wearing it more and found it easy to read with big digits and easy to read at night..

Not a fan of Apple stuff, and definitely not of the watch.

For me, I'd like something that doesn't even have a screen.

I just like the data gathering capability, happy to have all real functionality and visualisation via an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

Lorddrakul wrote: »

I just like the data gathering capability, happy to have all real functionality and visualisation via an app.

Any solution in a band that lasts a month between charges? I liked the Fitbit wristband but have to charge every four days

Qualcomm have definitely held back wear OS. With google buying Fitbit their next generation should be an improvement. Apple watch could be tempting if it didn't mean needing an iphone. I have an ipad, there are things I like about and it's grand for casual browsing the screen is great but in general it just annoys me. trying to use it for anything productive. I'm assuming I'd feel the same way about iphone. I'm on my 4th android phone spread over 10 years. Got nearly 3 out of each of them, don't think I could switch now!

Sony Wena was a good idea but just to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Every few minutes I get a notification, rush to this thread in the hope there is an insane bargain posted and I have to pick it up before it's gone. And then I'm a tad disappointed to have landed yet again in a discussion about smartwatches :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yeah, it's whatever you get used to I think. If you get used to a functionality, something that you actually use, then it's a pain when it's not available to you anymore.
    Like I couldn't be without a unidirectional bezel for timing stuff - Pasta, or any kind of baking or roasting that is usually under an hour - or a stopwatch /countdown timer on a digital watch.

Waking during the night and not being able to tell the time has consigned a succession of watches immediately to the drawer and ultimately up for sale.

Handiest timer ever is an alexa speaker. It's pretty much all I use mine for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Im old and cant see !!

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm old and cant see !!

Oi, I resemble that remark!

No, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Any bargains around ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Any bargains around ?

Trying to get us back on topic? Might be worth watching, less than a day to go £440, 39mm hydroconquest

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Longines-HydroConquest-L3-694-4-53-6-Automatic-Watch-Black-Dial-Diver-Swiss-Made/392787316670?hash=item5b73f2cfbe:g:k9EAAOSw2fhertbP

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

blue5000 wrote: »

What would be a price to get that for for it to be considered a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

blue5000 wrote: »

Very nice indeed

The internet isn’t for everyone

Sold for £566

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

NIMAN wrote: »
    What would be a price to get that for for it to be considered a bargain?

A really nice one with box and papers would be around £500 - £550 mark. I've seen ones without box and papers going for less. I've seen really used ones with box and papers go for £450 - £500.

The chronograph (which is the one I like in 41mm) go for £800 to £1000 depending on the condition and paperwork.

There is a lovely 41mm without box and papers going for £850 on Ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've one of those in quartz coming up on the for sale thread here post lockdown (I live abroad so who knows when I'll be home next & I've never posted a watch before).

It is quartz and I don't know asking price yet but will be well under your suggested budget.

I keep checking back here hoping that the Hamilton from a couple of months ago goes back on offer.

I had bought it, but my order was placed as it ran out of stock, so no watch for me.

Have an alert on Camel, Camel, Camel but fingers crossed it will come back.

Don't want to get you in more trouble at home but either of these a good enough deal! Not quite the steal they were last time but still a nice discount.

Hamilton Khaki King £322
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001F7MIYI?psc=1
    h64455533m1.jpg

Or for £349 need to use Parcel wizard/motel for this one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00264GMEG?psc=1
    81GT2UpEaKL._AC_UY500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ryath wrote: »
    Don't want to get you in more trouble at home but either of these a good enough deal!

You too good sir, are an enabler :pac:

That khaki king is still great value, but with the restoration and shipping coming up on the Accutron.

Buying anything else will have me killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

aidankkk wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JJP5F48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This seems a lot of gshock for the money, looks to be nearly double the price elsewhere.

Can be got in argos for 65 euro now.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7186099/Trail/searchtext>G+shock.htm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Fossil site is having a sale, with free engraving as well I think.

https://www.fossil.com/en-gb/promotions/flash-sale/?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=conv_cpo&awc=15480_1589885262_4eebb257a859ea4ee5c33d641db1d413

Some extra 15% off codes work for some folk too, so worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

Saw another poster link to this a while back, clicked on the link for a nosey around and somehow ordered by accident. I only realised when I got the email confirmation but given it only cost €25 delivered I didn't bother cancelling.

Doesn't look too bad, feels ok on the wrist and is actually keeping decent enough time. The print definition on the face is poor and the top left winder which does nothing is fixed in place but then it is only €25 delivered :P

dekn6Z1.jpg

fOcokmK.jpg

Worth keeping as a reasonably disposable watch to wear on boys weekends away etc where there's always a chance something bad would happen to a decent watch!!

Apologies for the size of the images. Not sure how to change the camera setting on my smart phone to a lower level of resolution. :o

Advertisement