Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭893bet

blue5000 wrote: »
    There's two ways of looking at it I suppose. Might be a lot of ppl online 'working' from home that might like a new thing to cheer them up.

I'd offer half what they're looking for and see what happens. If they get a load of lowball offers and then someone comes up with a reasonable offer it can sell very easily.

Not in the market for one but thought it seems ok for a nearly new watch.

Seller has a sob story of a business getting ready to go under so no one can lowball with out being a dick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nolimits wrote: »
    Isn't half of what someone's asking a low ball offer in itself?
    893bet wrote: »
    Not in the market for one but thought it seems ok for a nearly new watch.

Seller has a sob story of a business getting ready to go under so no one can lowball with out being a dick.

I haven't seen the ad. If the seller is in a hole wouldn't 2k be a lot better to him than everyone standing around looking at it.

Yes, half is a low ball offer, but on chrono24 a lot of asking prices are really unrealistic.

As for being a dick, there's going to be a lot of people losing out due to this c19. Many self employed people who hung on by their fingernails after the celtic tiger went titsup can see themselves in the same situation again. This could be worse as emigrating won't be an option.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

A lot of nice watches popping up on SC the last week.......

13 Rolex watches on the first page right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

A lot of nice watches popping up on SC the last week.......

What is SC?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sales corner on a UK watch forum tz uk

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?468889-FS-Tudor-Black-Bay-Blue

ETA black bay for 1250? Seems reasonable

Sold in a flash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

not nice (or expensive) enough for most of you .. but I have my eye on this (click for price )

Men-Automatic-Self-Wind-Mechanical-Canvas-Rubber-Strap-James-Bond-007-Style-Orange-Blue-Red-Rotatable.jpg

some video here :

That lovely, especially for 25 quid. Lovely omega homage.

Always a fan of anything orange!

Is that really certified to 600m?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hogzy wrote: »

I would say not!
    Waterproof: not suit for swim or shower

Safe to say it's probably not a co-axial movement either.

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    I would say not!

Safe to say it's probably not a co-axial movement either.

Didnt realise it was for sale on AliExpress hahaha :D

100% not certified to 600m!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kinda tempting, to see what $25 can get you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Eoin wrote: »
    Kinda tempting, to see what $25 can get you though.

In hand those Alibaba yolks are muck. Its a fake...come on. We have a fake watch busters thread for the love of god....

I hadn’t noted the “co axial” on the dial on my glance.

Skirting a little past homage towards fake territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I hadn’t noted the “co axial” on the dial on my glance.

Skirting a little past homage towards fake territory.

Even if legally allowed (since "co axial" isn't a trademarked term - unlike "navy" - see Panerai :rolleyes:) - in my eyes it goes quite a bit beyond homage and into reproduction/misleading territory.

Even taking it at face value the watch is putting text on the dial that is clearly false, misleading and nonsensical - it's not a master chronometer (if they're referencing the Swiss lab that Omega are using to certify their watches), it's not a co-axial and it's not water resistant to 600m. So if it's not all those things then why would they put all that on the dial? :(

To the op - I believe Alpha do plenty of Omega homages that don't have all the fluff text on the dials - clean dials with the elements of what you're looking for might be up your street :)

A list of other homage brands who do the Seamaster - https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/omega-seamaster-homage-4239362.html

And I can assure you OP for $25 you'll be getting a toy that may break in 1 day, 7 days, 7 years - you just have no idea with the components and pot luck/non-existant QC (remember they need to make a profit at $25 including postage - so the watch probably costs around $6-8 in components and around $2-4 in assembly cost). If at all possible I'd recommend you to save a little more and get something in the $75-100 range - yes that's 3x the cost but at that price they can actual spend time doing a little bit of QC to make sure the hands don't fall off after a week of wearing.

edit: And another warning is that some sellers are known to put on a different text on the dial for advertising purposes and actually send the fake name on the dial for the actual product. Since for these watches - all that's missing from the dial to be a complete illegal "fake" is the Omega name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Is this a good deal? Looks a lovely watch!

https://bit.ly/2wuFAcD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

In hand those Alibaba yolks are muck. Its a fake...come on. We have a fake watch busters thread for the love of god....

Homage, not a fake.

Its very simple, it doesn't say Omega on the dial

Cienciano wrote: »
    Homage, not a fake.

Its very simple, it doesn't say Omega on the dial

There is a bit more nuance than that though - it's why people can't "get away" with using Omcga or Rolox on the dial - even if it doesn't say Omega legally there can be a line which crosses the trademark of a brand.

Having all the extra text on the dial which doesn't actually describe the features of the watch itself but is used by Omega to describe their planet ocean model can be thought of as an "intention to confuse" - even if not to the original purchaser (who knows that this isn't a genuine Omega) but other observers post sale.

It's why Ferrari was able to stop people selling car kits on a commercial level that made their Toyotas look like F400... correction:
    F355 and Toyota MR2s:
    https://www.thedrive.com/news/31706/is-this-ferrari-f355-bodied-toyota-mr2-an-abomination-or-artddd

It says Toyota on the body but the casual bystander might mistake it for a Ferrari and then think..."eh - Ferrari's ain't all that - seems like a cheap Toyota or something" if they don't notice the badge on the back.

To be absolutely safe in the watch world if you want to homage a different design you should only include your own brand and own relevant writing on an otherwise sterile dial. Once you start copying other brand's text which is not the same as design you get into legally dubious territory. I'm no IP lawyer though :pac:

edit: Props for the name though Pauleris - Polaris was taken I guess...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hogzy wrote: »
    Aye, keep it 600m from any water.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, even a person who has no idea about watches can look at this and tell you it's not an omega.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

etxp wrote: »
    Is this a good deal? Looks a lovely watch!

https://bit.ly/2wuFAcD

It's not a bad price especially with sterling tanking. €300 plus from the asian websites and you'll probably get stung for vat. I've been tempted by open hearts and skeletons a few time's most aren't terribly legible and this one is a little bit busy for my tastes. If it had blued hands it would be easier read.

91c3aaaeea2e5ba94852d5ced3e996cd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

The pagani design "Daytona" is lovley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The pagani design "Daytona" is lovley

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Monaco, yours for a three figure sum

Linky

Tempted myself, but I know it's not my style. It would only be for sale again next week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Homer

unkel wrote: »
    Monaco, yours for a three figure sum

Linky

Tempted myself, but I know it's not my style. It would only be for sale again next week :p

I know it’s the less desirable of the Monaco models but sub €1k is good value for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats a very good bargain on the monaco, somebody will get a great watch there for a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've rarely seen a Breitling that I fancy, but I like the look of this:

YzMzOTdjMzUwMjMxZDAwYmVlZjVlNDc0NzkxODA2YzcemgJbcO0GQAWclki4FF2XaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMzJhNzY3YTQ2NmNhYmFiNjViYWJiZmU0MGU0OTJkM2UyMGU0Y2E3Mjc2MjdiNmQyMGVhYjU5M2RiN2M2NmNhOC5qcGd8fHx8fHwxMzN4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Linky

Pictures are pretty poor. At what sort of money would this be a real bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Linky

That seems like an awful lot for a three-hander, even a Breitling.

They are coming in at that price in dollars on Chrono24, so I doubt it would fetch that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Linky

Be very careful with a Transocean.
    AFAIK the blue in particular has been repped to a very, very high standard and could need a very good eye to spot a fake.

Not implying in any way or form that the linked ad is spurious, but just flagging that the particular model is on the "super-reps" list that floats around Reddit.

• Advertisement

And it's always possible that sometimes genuine honest sellers may not know that they have replicas too if the quality is good enough. So even "buying the seller" may not be enough.

In these cases it'll only be "certified" once it goes in for an authorised service and it comes back with a service warranty - something that can be traced online (at least it can for Omega - I'm sure the other large brands offer it too). So I guess asking about service records would be useful for "no papers" watches - quite apart from knowing if the owner has actually taken care of the watch and had it serviced or just let the lube wear out over the years etc.

Advertisement