Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Has anyone got experience of using a therapeutic shampoo for psoriasis on the scalp? I've picked up one with salicylic acid, coconut oil and coal tar so will see how it goes.

Any tips? Should I try and keep it on the patches, or use all over my scalp?

The best shampoo I have found is Tgel dry hair. Which one have you picked up?
    I always use he same shampoo all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Gael23 wrote: »
    The best shampoo I have found is Tgel dry hair. Which one have you picked up?
    I always use he same shampoo all over.

Capasal, as it's the one my local pharmacy had in stock. I've seen the Tgel one elsewhere, might give that a go if it looks like it's helping, I think it's pretty similar active ingredients.

ChrisJ84 wrote: »
    Capasal, as it's the one my local pharmacy had in stock. I've seen the Tgel one elsewhere, might give that a go if it looks like it's helping, I think it's pretty similar active ingredients.

I remember using Capasal years ago but I don’t remember if it helped or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Good sun out there today people.

Soak it all in :D

Have the say the Aveeno moisterisor feels like it's working well the last few days since I've started using it. Using it 3 to 4 times a day, only other moisterisor I'm using is e45 prewash cream (put it on before washing it out in shower, I use it as my shower gel) Skin is smooth and redness down slightly. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

rizzee wrote: »
    Soak it all in :D

Have the say the Aveeno moisterisor feels like it's working well the last few days since I've started using it. Using it 3 to 4 times a day, only other moisterisor I'm using is e45 prewash cream (put it on before washing it out in shower, I use it as my shower gel) Skin is smooth and redness down slightly. Long may it last.

I'm tired of putting creams on. It's so annoying and time consuming but i know i have to.
    Might try that e45. Feel like a woman lol.
    Before it was just a quick shower and deodorant. 5 min job while i waited for her to shower make up e.t.c. witch took ages.

• Advertisement

I suddenly seem to be improving. Some of that might be down to the sunshine over the last few weeks, not sure.

My forehead has improved so much. Legs are still bad. Managed to get my hair cut yesterday without feeling embarrassed I have 2 weeks before the wedding so hopefully everything improves..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Candykitten

Hi I was diagnosed with Guttate psoriasis about 6 weeks ago? I was given betnovatte and to put it on for 10 days.Was doing its job alright but when iI stopped it has not done much.Just wondered what else I can do to get rid of it as I am only us eing Childs farm cream and does it go away.

Sitting on the balcony in Portugal getting some sun now. Too shy to go out wearing shorts because the redness of my legs.

My face is great though. My 12 year old godson even said I look different so that gave me a bit of a boost.

Wedding time soon in the sun.

Sitting on the balcony in Portugal getting some sun now. Too shy to go out wearing shorts because the redness of my legs.

My face is great though. My 12 year old godson even said I look different so that gave me a bit of a boost.

It will really help if you do wear shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Glad to hear!
    My wedding next weekend, been given protopic to use on my face for last few weeks to try and clear it up!

lfc200 wrote: »
    Glad to hear!
    My wedding next weekend, been given protopic to use on my face for last few weeks to try and clear it up!

Use it every night for maybe 2 weeks and then 2/3 times a week and it will work a treat. I swear by Protopic

Gael23 wrote: »
    It will really help if you do wear shorts.

I'm wearing shorts now but on private balcony. Just happy my face is better for wedding pics and some confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You see warnings about getting sunburn through clothes. The likes of cheapo thin semitransparent t shirts would be letting light through.

I imagine there might be special clothing specifically made to allow as much light through as possible, without being full on see-through. Time to go googling...

https://www.pow-wow-tribe.com/en/less-tan-lines
    The secret lies in the use of a special fabric in which the knitwear was scientifically developed and tested to allow tanning-through while selectively filtering ultra violet light to achieve a safer tan. The seams and elastics are the only elements that hinder the transmission of sunlight.

In the textile world was defined a UV Protection Factor (UPF) in order to measure quantitatively and accurately the UV protection of a textile. In the case of the fabrics used in Pow-Wow, the UV protection (UPF) value is 5, a much lower index compared to the UV protection factor of fabrics (UPF 30 to 50) traditionally used in garments (*).

(*) UPF is different from SPF. FPU is the UV protection factor of a textile and FPS is the UV protection factor used in sunscreens. FPU 5 means that one in five rays radiates beyond the fabric and reaches the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

I've found Soratinex a great help over past 5weeks. Elbows best they've been in years and red patches on legs have started to fade (slowly).

Might be worth a shot for someone

rubadub wrote: »
    You see warnings about getting sunburn through clothes. The likes of cheapo thin semitransparent t shirts would be letting light through.

I imagine there might be special clothing specifically made to allow as much light through as possible, without being full on see-through. Time to go googling...

https://www.pow-wow-tribe.com/en/less-tan-lines

My grandad has vitiligo and he gets UV protective clothes from the US.

Skin has gone crazy the last 2 weeks. Arm with the tattoo is completely covers in patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm asking for a family member - are tattoos a factor in getting psoriasis? Any idea if they might contribute to someone getting it? Or do piercings have anything to do with it? Someone out of the blue in his 30's has got the rash and he has piercings and a large tattoo. I was wondering if the rash might be triggered by these things?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'm asking for a family member - are tattoos a factor in getting psoriasis? Any idea if they might contribute to someone getting it? Or do piercings have anything to do with it? Someone out of the blue in his 30's has got the rash and he has piercings and a large tattoo. I was wondering if the rash might be triggered by these things?

Tattoos can certainly be a trigger yep. Stress to skin.

I got my first tattoo in Thailand about 2 years ago. My skin was perfect and i never had psoriasis. Then just over a year ago it started and got bad. I am not sure if it's related but just reading your post is making me think it could be related.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I was wondering if the tattoos and the piercings had triggered some reaction through infection of the blood. Has any doctor ever mentioned a connection to anyone? I've noticed them mentioned a few times on the thread. This family member also has ear piercings where the flesh has grown over the earring. It scares me, and he is not at all bothered by it but my mind is going round and round over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

How different are the hospital sun beds to the salon sun beds in terms of exposure and long term effects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

How different are the hospital sun beds to the salon sun beds in terms of exposure and long term effects?

Light is not simply brightness. Its travels on very different wavelengths. Its explanation is well beyond the scope of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Light is not simply brightness. Its travels on very different wavelengths. Its explanation is well beyond the scope of this thread

Thanks skooterblue2, have you used either in the treatment of P?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Nope I have a much more efficient way. I am a trained acupuncturist. When I am stressed I can feel it coming on. I get my girlfriend to do acupuncturist. That is my solution. Paying €35-60 a pop may not be everyones idea of treatment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm quite covered, i have my chest, two sleeves and some other tattoos on my legs...have quite a few piercings too.

I can say that 95% of the tattoo's didn't flare in psoriasis, ever. one on my leg that was about 8 years old, ended up getting covered in P last year, but the tattoo was OLD when it flared up.

I got 1 tattoo on the inside of my bicep last May, and it NEVER healed, and broke out in guttate psoriasis after about two weeks, it was absolute torture. thankfully when i started on Stelara it cleared up, and strangely, the tattoo is 100% perfect.

So in reply to your question, it's hard to say it tattoo and piercings have anything to do with your friends flare up.

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm quite covered, i have my chest, two sleeves and some other tattoos on my legs...have quite a few piercings too.

I can say that 95% of the tattoo's didn't flare in psoriasis, ever. one on my leg that was about 8 years old, ended up getting covered in P last year, but the tattoo was OLD when it flared up.

I got 1 tattoo on the inside of my bicep last May, and it NEVER healed, and broke out in guttate psoriasis after about two weeks, it was absolute torture. thankfully when i started on Stelara it cleared up, and strangely, the tattoo is 100% perfect.

So in reply to your question, it's hard to say it tattoo and piercings have anything to do with your friends flare up.

Did you ever have Psoriasis before you had the tattoos? The chap I know got his first tattoo just a couple of years ago and this year the P appeared all over his body. I might be clutching at straws but doctors don't seem interested in finding out the cause and avoid the question.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Did you ever have Psoriasis before you had the tattoos? The chap I know got his first tattoo just a couple of years ago and this year the P appeared all over his body. I might be clutching at straws but doctors don't seem interested in finding out the cause and avoid the question.

Yes i've had psoriasis on my scalp and elbows for many years before i got tattoos or piercings.

I honestly don't think it's the doctors are avoiding the question, it's just they simply don't know why people get it.

eeloe wrote: »
    Yes i've had psoriasis on my scalp and elbows for many years before i got tattoos or piercings.

I honestly don't think it's the doctors are avoiding the question, it's just they simply don't know why people get it.

Ah, ok so, thank you. Wish I had a magic wand! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but relevant.

I fell and got nasty gashes on both my knees which were covered in Psoriasis a while back. They took ages to stop bleeding and heal properly. So I think if you injure skin affected by Psoriasis it doesnt heal right.
    At that time I was still using Dovobet if that makes a difference. Hadn't done UV therapy or biologics

Advertisement