Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cloudy morning again in Galway but not in an unpleasant way with the cloud layer more of the mid level type.

zRGjite.png

Not cold, not overly warm, just perfect temps.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Pleasantly surprised with today so far. Bright and dry in Dublin.

Hopefully July will be similar to June.

Suns out in Arklow
    Lovely day
    No rain last night or today
    Poor forecasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful day in Dublin 5. Fab run of weather. This summer has already exceeded last and it’s only 3 weeks in :-)

Yep amazing and today was meant to he the rainy day.

Beautifuly yet again here in NCD.

I'm glad I watered the flowers last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not great in cork, overcast, had one shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful in Kildare today with nice strong sunshine. Tad windy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a decent day here in Meath but not the unbroken sunshine of yesterday. We're nearly one third of the way through Summer 2021 and I am happy with the summer so far. This summer would be even better if we could have at least one week of a classic 2013/2018 heatwave at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not great in cork, overcast, had one shower.

Very mild tho, not the worst really.

Sun report from Galway:

12.57pm - Sun (filtered through high white cloud) came out and lasted 1 minute and 15 seconds.

1.34pm. Sun came out again. Very strong and unfiltered. A shock to the system and lasted just over 4 minutes.

Since then.. no sun.

Not to worry, sitting out the back (actually very warm out there) and watching these nice clouds like these float overhead is every bit as pleasing to the senses.

X3xgwrQ.png

In fact, I actually picked up a bit of a cloud tan today. So good going.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another cracking day in Kildare, roasting, barely a cloud in the sky.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has now been 3 weeks since we have had a cloudless sunny day in Castlebar, it was the last time the temperature went over 20C as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wall to wall cloud in Cobh, very muggy too.

But much better than the forecast suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Totally clear blue skies in Dublin since a couple of hours ago. Have come inside as I've taken too much sun for now. Wasn't expecting this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Totally clear blue skies in Dublin since a couple of hours ago. Have come inside as I've taken too much sun for now. Wasn't expecting this.

I'm the same here in Dublin. Was working n the garden as I thought it was supposed to be a little cooler and cloudier today but had to come in out of the sun. My legs got a bit of a burnng...really nice day again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Come down and do my garden lads it’s cloudy damp and overcast!

Ed a couple of lovely days during the week Thursday and Friday. Yesterday wasn’t to bad either and at least it’s mild.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a peach of a day here in Meath, not a cloud in the sky and strong sunshine, feeling warm too temperature 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yes stunning here near Trim, one of the best days this year for me...

Mount Dillon currently 21C, the warmest temperature currently throughout Ireland and the UK combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Best day of the last two weeks here in midlands...feeling hot even though temp is only reading 18c!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The month that keeps on giving. Stunning afternoon here again. I can't remember the last day we had rain here*.

* I'm playing my first game of golf in a long time next Saturday, so it's probably pretty certain that it will be raining then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Anyone have any idea what the weather will be like for the week after next. I know they can't forecast the weather one day in advance at the moment but any ideas!

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the weather will be like for the week after next. I know they can't forecast the weather one day in advance at the moment but any ideas!

at the moment it's very uncertain. Next 3 days look decent but there is still the chance of a diving dartboard low sinking south over Ireland from Thursday to Saturday which could deliver rather cool and wet conditions. If this low dives south down the eastern part of the UK then we may have a continuation of dryer and warm conditions. The following week could end up chilly with a direct northerly or we could be under the azores high with temperatures into the low twenties. Perhaps by Thursday we will have a better idea how next weekend and beyond will fair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere records an air frost on Monday night. Tomorrow the summer solstice as well.

Monday night: A chilly night for June and dry with largely clear skies. Lowest temperatures of 2 to 6 degrees in a light northerly breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Gonzo wrote: »
    Mount Dillon currently 21C, the warmest temperature currently throughout Ireland and the UK combined.

I'm in Roscommon today
    Glorious sunshine and heat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just had another shower in cork city. One of the worst evenings here in the last week or two. No blue sky today :(

A dull, overcast and breezy evening in Galway. This summer is turning out to be just a repeat of last summer, where the west was constantly dull and the east basked in near constant sunshine.

Latest satellite says it all.

MNbiC3W.png

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A dull, overcast and breezy evening in Galway. This summer is turning out to be just a repeat of last summer, where the west was constantly dull and the east basked in near constant sunshine.

MNbiC3W.png

your definitely thinking of the wrong summer. Last summer was rubbish throughout Ireland from 2nd week of June to the final days of August. Last summer has been discussed many times just how bad it was. The worst thing about last summer wasn't the cool temperatures or the many rainy days but the overall complete lack of sunshine. The only placed baked in near constant sunshine was southern and south-eastern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Gonzo wrote: »
    at the moment it's very uncertain. Next 3 days look decent but there is still the chance of a diving dartboard low sinking south over Ireland from Thursday to Saturday which could deliver rather cool and wet conditions. If this low dives south down the eastern part of the UK then we may have a continuation of dryer and warm conditions. The following week could end up chilly with a direct northerly or we could be under the azores high with temperatures into the low twenties. Perhaps by Thursday we will have a better idea how next weekend and beyond will fair out.

Thank you. We're supposed to be going on our staycation to Kerry on Sat so hoping for some sort of decent weather! Will keep an eye on things over the next few days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So when do we expect hose pipe ban to be announced. I’d say another week or two.

• Advertisement

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Thank you. We're supposed to be going on our staycation to Kerry on Sat so hoping for some sort of decent weather! Will keep an eye on things over the next few days!

You better start praying that todays UKMO and GEM verifys because if it does you will be very happy and so will everyone else in Ireland.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

GEMOPUK12_216_5.png

The ECM and GFS drop that dartboard low right over Ireland for next weekend and early next week so those aren't looking particularly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

MNbiC3W.png

No heavy rain Oneiric?
    Been a famous evening here in south Roscommon, temp jumped from 17 to 21C in a couple hours and some lovely sunshine.
    Suns gone now though, behind the impressive black wall of storm clouds that's been to our NW all evening but not seeming to get any closer.
    Somewhere is getting a right lashing from it I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Stunning evening in Dublin 5, perfect blue skies. Really lovely weekend of weather

Neddyusa wrote: »
    No heavy rain Oneiric?
    Been a famous evening here in south Roscommon, temp jumped from 17 to 21C in a couple hours and some lovely sunshine.
    Suns gone now though, behind the impressive black wall of storm clouds that's been to our NW all evening but not seeming to get any closer.
    Somewhere is getting a right lashing from it I'd say!

Nothing here bar a few pointless spits anyway NeddyUSA, just the usual gun metal. Breezy as hell though.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool, dark and windy with zero sunshine in Letterkenny. Joke of a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Enjoying the sunshine in Sutton, a nice sky of cirrus too. Could be some more noctilucent clouds tonight in any clear spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Spilling here last couple of hours in north Galway

Gorgeous evening in Arklow
    This is turning out to be a grand summer so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Rainfall stats for June so far. Really bone dry here in the east, but the complete opposite in the southwest and west. Amazing how consistent this divide has been this month.

556447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As bad as it looks Newport has only got a third of the rain it got last June, probably the only silver lining we have had so far this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I recorded over 100mm last June,only 11mm recorded so far this June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

I must say surprisingly that was one of the best days of the year so far in Kildare.

will be interesting to see the met eireann data for the end of this summer.

It can only be better than last summer. This was how wet it was at Dunsany last summer:

June 2020: 76.9mm
    July 2020: 130.9mm (second wettest month of 2020 only beaten by February)
    August 2020: 99.2mm

Temperature anomaly Summer 2020

June 2020: +0.6C
    July 2020: -0.9C
    August 2020: +0.2C

Summer 2021 so far:
    June 2021: 3.9mm (up to the 19th)

Temperature anomaly: +1.2C (was over +2C a week ago). The mean has come down alot over the past 5 days due to chilly nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rainfall stats for June so far. Really bone dry here in the east, but the complete opposite in the southwest and west. Amazing how consistent this divide has been this month.

That is just incredible, I'm only a few km from the airport, so this is the driest place in Ireland. The difference between East and West is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Gorgeous evening in Arklow
    This is turning out to be a grand summer so far!

Yes one that will be remembered.. Hopefully it keeps going like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

no rain here in Cork City all weekend - woo hoo (forecast all week said that today was gonna be a washout)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

556447.jpg

the difference between Mount Dillon and Claremorris is noteworthy from a Connacht perspective if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The weather in this part of Mayo over the weekend exceeded my somewhat limited expectations of it and certainly turned out a little better than what I had seen forecasted. Even though there was plenty of high cloud at times, there were a few nice hazy breaks of limited sunshine with a bit of warmth to it at times also. Even though it got a bit blustery late this afternoon and clouded up again, I found it a pleasant enough weekend overall.
    I love these long evenings in June but I always feel a slight bit of regret when the longest day has passed. There is something that I love about the light of a long summers evening whenever of course we are lucky to get it.
    There was a nice bit of colour in the evening sky here today but my favourite sky of the summer so far was in the wilds of North Mayo last Friday evening. It was a pleasure to witness it and because it has been such a grey month so far in these parts, I savoured it even more.

River Moy this eve.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556460&stc=1&d=1624230104

A glorious June evening on Carrowmore Lake in North Mayo last Friday
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556461&stc=1&d=1624230124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I haven't been able to enjoy the long evenings that much as its always dull. The darkest it gets up here at this time of the year is Nautical twilight, if its clear it never really gets dark, the sky to North is constantly light. Beyond bored of constant cloudiness now.

Ireland did rather well today despite being in a cooler than average airflow. We were 3 to 4C higher than much of southern and central England. We even gave much of Portugal and north western half of Spain a run for it's money with some rather disgraceful temperatures in parts of Iberia.

txint_uk.png

txint_sp.png

The GFS pub run is another very warm outlook with some mid to high level warmth last week of June and first week of July. Still not feeling confident of this potential warm to hot spell as the dartboard low later in the week could change the short to medium outlook entirely if luck does not go our way.

sporina wrote: »
    no rain here in Cork City all weekend - woo hoo (forecast all week said that today was gonna be a washout)

It rained overnight on Saturday into Sunday morning. Was out and about very early and there were plenty of puddles that dried out before most people were out of bed.

There was also another heavy shower at around 6pm on Sunday evening for around 10 minutes where I am.

But it was a great bonus that it rained so little after the forecast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement