Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Poochie05

One of the best ways we found to reduce the amount of rubbish going out in our bins was to burn it in the fire!

Poisoning yourselves and your neighbours in the process! A fireplace doesn't reach high enough temperatures to burn waste safely.

I would imagine the point of this legislation is to use it against fly tippers when they catch them, rather than going around checking on who has a bin or not. Make it an obligation to prove you have a waste service or dispose of your waste responsibly through bin sharing or using your council recycling centre. If you can't prove this it helps to build the case against the fly tipper .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Pay by weight in Ireland has been been a massive profit booster for waste companies, but done next to nothing for recycling rates.

I live in a country with one of the highest recycling rates in Europe but very little use of the pay by weight system. There is a fixed annual fee for the 4 separate bins we use (one can get a small reduction for using a small size non-recyclables waste bin if your household is below a certain size).

Result: everyone pays, and no waste around the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A waste services charge of €100 should be applied to the household charge.

Then whatever company you sign up to claims this from revenue and provides you with the bins and the collection service and all you need to pay then is the cost of the waste.

In addition, litter fines for dumping need to rise substantially - €150 is no deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

CeilingFly wrote: »

Then whatever company you sign up to claims this from revenue and provides you with the bins and the collection service and all you need to pay then is the cost of the waste.

In addition, litter fines for dumping need to rise substantially - €150 is no deterrent.

You mean LPT I think. But only home OWNERS pay that.

Back to the drawing board I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aren't many people exempt for the property tax though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

_Dara_ wrote: »
    How is it a stealth tax if you are already paying for some form of rubbish disposal? Just provide receipts for whatever disposal service you are currently using.

Its quite clear from this thread alone many people share bins, therefore no receipts. More people forced to sign up for robbing bin company's equals more tax to be used on anything but litter wardens etc. because it will be the usual politician's excuse ''we tried, its all your own faults''.

And anyone who thinks the bin company's aren't coining it in......

HERE

HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You mean LPT I think. But only home OWNERS pay that.

Back to the drawing board I think!

Every home is owned by someone. Landlords would simply add it as an extra charge
    Aren't many people exempt for the property tax though?
    But they still have a property id and their houses still have a charge applied and then deducted.

I'd add in a broadcast licence too - with 98% compliance and miniscule collection cost, it could be dropped by 15%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Its quite clear from this thread alone many people share bins, therefore no receipts. More people forced to sign up for robbing bin company's equals more tax to be used on anything but litter wardens etc. because it will be the usual politician's excuse ''we tried, its all your own faults''.

HERE

HERE

You don't have to use a bin company!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If the cost of something as basic as nappies is even entering a persons head then they can’t afford to have kids imo.

Saving around €500 anually and not throwing 2,500 nappies a year into landfill is nothing to be sniffed at.

Frankly if someone gets icked out of it by a bit of poo then they shouldn't be having children; cos if something's not spewing out of one end it's generally spewing out of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So, how would it work if people went directly to a civic amenity site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Every home is owned by someone. Landlords would simply add it as an extra charge

But they still have a property id and their houses still have a charge applied and then deducted.

I'd add in a broadcast licence too - with 98% compliance and miniscule collection cost, it could be dropped by 15%

Fecking hell don't encourage them. It's bad enough that you have to pay every year just to live in a house that you own without throwing in all these extra charges for extras that a lot of people don't want or use.

Is there actually any "big government reigning down on the pesky ordinary people" measure you don't agree with? You're always the first out to defend whatever new measure they are coming out with to make life more difficult/restrictive/awkward for everyone.

Is it just that you don't like people in general and would rather be on this planet alone with a few computers and machines to provide you with your needs? I really don't understand your general contempt for those around you.
    Right, so instead of discussing anything in my post, you decide to go off on some fantasy tangent.

Is there any government regulation you don't oppose, or are you all about sticking it to "the man" and living "off the grid"?

All this nonsense about stealth taxes and bin company conspiracies (LOL) just goes to show how utterly clueless some people are about this proposal.

You even suggest that you'd be fined if you're "not emptying it often enough", when there is nothing in the OP to suggest that would be a possibility.

Off to the conspiracy theories forum with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Kat1170 wrote: »

HERE

HERE

Some posters on this have outlined how they have alternative arrangements to signing up with a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I share my bin with a neighbour. Neither of us produce much waste so I cancelled my bins and pay her to take my rubbish. Makes sense because I'd only put one bag a month out, it's throwing money away otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭dclifford

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I thought our legal system was based on the premise that one must prove guilt, not defend innocence?

You don't have to worry about the legal system if you do things the way they should be done. Don't do illegal stuff and you will be fine.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I share my bin with a neighbour. Neither of us produce much waste so I cancelled my bins and pay her to take my rubbish. Makes sense because I'd only put one bag a month out, it's throwing money away otherwise.

I know single people and they barely generate a bin bag of rubbish/recycling a month.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So, I'd need to prove that I didn't do any illegal dumping, rather than the Council having to prove I did??

That sound very like Guilty until proven Innocent to me..

How do you dispose of waste at the moment? If it is done legally then you have nothing to be guilty about.

seamus wrote: »
    Right, so instead of discussing anything in my post, you decide to go off on some fantasy tangent.

Is there any government regulation you don't oppose, or are you all about sticking it to "the man" and living "off the grid"?

All this nonsense about stealth taxes and bin company conspiracies (LOL) just goes to show how utterly clueless some people are about this proposal.

You even suggest that you'd be fined if you're "not emptying it often enough", when there is nothing in the OP to suggest that would be a possibility.

Off to the conspiracy theories forum with you.

Don't mind the arrogance and this auld craic with trying to make a conspiracy theorist out of me.

The bag tax was a great one, they should have expanded it to other plastic packaging but that would have put a stop to the great moneyspinner that is getting people to pay for packaging they don't want and paying again to have it sent to China.

If you have only one receipt from a year ago from the civic amenity site or some other place you could find yourself at the mercy of some inspector dude. Of course the end result of this thing will be people signing up to bin collection just in case and not using it.

dclifford wrote: »
    How do you dispose of waste at the moment? If it is done legally then you have nothing to be guilty about.

Unless you lose the receipt or didn't get any or didn't generate any waste.

I really don't know why people support this kind of tripe. Do we not have enough mandatory taxes and charges?

I know a good few people who put their rubbish in their parents bin or the other way around.
    The easiest way around this to me would be continue to do this and visit the civic amenity site maybe once or twice a year and get a receipt and say this is all the rubbish you produced in the year.

I took a good bulk of my parents rubbish when they were pay by weight and I wasn't. We still paid for bin charges in each household.
    Then there are others who pay nothing and deposit their rubbish in other paid bins in the early hours. Or the ones who go for an early walk and dump in a park, laneway or field.
    Guess who I would rather see get a knock on the door? It is not the one who had a small yearly standing charge. It is the one who had no proof of any legal waste disposal.

Get a receipt. I have used them for large bulk waste. Think i still have the receipts somewhere.

That was refereed to what that person was talking about adding €100 to the property tax or something. I just wouldn't see that system working.

eviltwin wrote: »

Get her to write you a receipt or show proof of transfer. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I couldn't see this working either. It would overly manipulated. Everybody would just transfer a few years here and there to cover themselves.

I really doubt that anyone who is dumping stuff by the side of the road will find it terribly hard to come up with a receipt for having used some legal dumping facility for some small amount of rubbish at some stage during the past. So it's likely they won't even catch the people they're hoping to catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

listermint wrote: »
    I'm sorry lads but none of yous must live beside literally any picturesque area in the country where scumbags continually fly tip. It's a weekly occurrence no matter how much it's cleaned some gob****es comes along and throws an old bath out or a solitary TV or the usually garden waste mixed with yesterday's TV dinner wrapping.

If people have to produce receipts then so be it. Everyone produces waste everyone so everyone has traceability that can be receipts or a monthly invoice or like some in here a friendly assistance of parents it's all still traceable.

So persistent dumpers will have no way out? All they need do is bring a small fraction of their rubbish to a bring site get their receipt and keep dumping the rest. Wouldn't it make more sense to force suppliers to stop wrapping everything in plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Anytime I have brought evidence of dumping to the local litter warden, I'm told that they don't have the power to look up addresses. I find him to be the laziest of people. I met him one time to discuss an issue and he bragged about putting the stuff he found onto Adverts to sell. Showed me a lamp he had just found and was putting it online to sell. Whats needed is proper policing and large fines, not this half arsed approach.

We were told by the council not to touch the rubbish because if you did it would stop them being able to prosecute the person!

I'd say a lot of that goes on. I met a right bollix of a fella at one of those civic amenity sites not too long ago who had a go at me forlooking at a powersupply in the e-waste section.

No way would they let anyone take stuff out of there. Wouldn't give a reason either but tis obvious that they're making a side earner out of that. The same sack of sh1t started mouthing off to me one day because I arrived a bit too late for his liking and he wanted to go home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

How does one access the "Civic Amenity" site if not a Car owner..?

My local "Dump" at Ballymount is a huge improvement on what went before,in the likes of Dunsink,Ballyogan and Friarstown,BUT the charges are exorbitant for private citizens...It is as if the Operator does NOT want the ordinary folks bringing waste to the site....?

Neither the State,or it's representative Local Authorities appear to have any role other than a facilitator for the business models of a select few Waste "Management" Companies.....methinks a case for Nationalization in the National Interest ??

This fixation has allowed by Government and Contracted Companies to totally avoid methods which provenly work elsewhere in Europe....

https://earth911.com/business-policy/recycling-in-germany/
    The concept in which private industries are responsible for eliminating waste — and for covering the costs — is described as the ‘polluter pays’ principle. In other words, those who create the waste are responsible for cleaning up the mess. The U.S. has a ‘consumer pays’ policy, in which waste management is funded by taxpaying citizens.” —Marie Look, writer of “Trash Planet: Germany”

Berlin or Boston...right ?

I'd say Marie would be quickly turned back at our hard border should she turn up looking to inspect our "cosy little arrangements" here in Ireland ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)