Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County or country first?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I kinda don't feel any sense of personal responsibility for anything that doesn't happen in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

maryishere wrote: »
    Dublin, Ireland. I once met someone in America who did not know where Ireland was.

I was talking to a man in new york and his 14/15 year old son asked him how long would it of taken that man to drive here. His fathers face was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Abroad, I'd say Ireland. If they don't know where Ireland is then I'd go into more detail.
    In Ireland I'd refer to my hometown or adopted town.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    ...I'm not of Culshie stock...
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Vita nova wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Culshie alert! :D

PS I see Culshie as a term of endearment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rattser wrote: »
    The vast majority of foreigners wouldn't have a breeze if you just told them what county you're from. So, Ireland. And if they still look confused, the island beside the UK/England.
    Don't you mean the island that England is beside ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

maryishere wrote: »
    Dublin, Ireland. I once met someone in America who did not know where Ireland was.
    Ireland is a province of Canada. I learned that from reception when I was checking in to a hotel in Las Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ireland first, I suppose. But that's probably because I lived in the States for nearly 20 years. When people detected an accent and would ask me where I was from, I'd just say Ireland. That was usually good enough for them. Not a single $hit did they give, about where exactly in Ireland I was from. And as most of them would freely admit to not having the first clue about the cities and counties of Ireland, I was rarely asked what part of Ireland I was from. They knew they really didn't know enough about Ireland to come up with an intelligent follow up remark, or question.

On the rare occasions that I was asked where I was from specifically, the reaction I'd get was usually "Oh Dublin, that's SO cool. I just LOVE Bono." Needless to say, I rarely encouraged any in depth probing.

I generally tried to change the subject away from being Irish, as soon as possible. If a discussion went on longer than 30 seconds, the next stage was usually their breathlessly telling me all about their great grandfather Patrick Ma-ho-ney (never, ever pronounced correctly...grrrrrrr..... :mad: ) who emigrated from Co Mayo in 1895, as if that creates a special bond between us. Newsflash. It didn't. Having to pretend to care about the life story of some old geezer who has been dead 50 years and who I have never met, got REALLY old in a hurry ! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

County or country. The ones that answer country are usually the ones voting along those lines and ultimately holding Ireland back.

Healy Raes will be the death of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

pauliebdub wrote: »
    Ireland first, counties have very little distinction as far as I'm concerned. Tipperary is just a county council border, no difference to Kilkenny or Waterford for example

Oh you take that back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I identify myself by my country mainly. I'm not bothered by being from Dublin, but when push comes to shove, I see and I identify myself as Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I'm pure Northern Irish and I identify myself as such when overseas. Wouldn't identify by county as no one would hv a clue. I find its only the GAA heads that really care about counties anyway.

As the OP, this thread was strange.

The whole "where I say I'm from when abroad" was only meant to illustrate when I think of my county first, subconsciously.
    david75 wrote: »
    County or country. The ones that answer country are usually the ones voting along those lines and ultimately holding Ireland back.

Healy Raes will be the death of us all.

A strange point. If I said Ireland first, would I be cheerleading for Bertie Ahern and Enda Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I just give them my eircode. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I'd say Cork, in the south of Ireland but my wife who would perish the thought of being identified with the rest of us would insist on including West. This to a Guatemalan whom I was expecting to need to explain where Ireland is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

As long as they get the Republic bit right and don't call me Southern Irish then t'is grand begorrah

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ireland first, then Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Man United, then Ireland, then the Dubs.

Ps- F*ck the Brits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

awec wrote: »
    In NI the whole county thing doesn't really exist. I mean the counties exist obviously, but nobody will ever answer "where are you from?" with their county name.

Nobody walks around saying their a proud Armagh / Down / Tyrone etc man unless they're weird, cause nobody really cares.
    I'd very much disagree. I would and I'm not weird :p

Maybe it's not as prevalent among people from a Unionist background but Nationalists definitely have an affinity for their home county. Even if they aren't die-hard GAA people. Even the Orange Order are organised on a county basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,071 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Neither as neither is either relevant to me or gives you any idea of who I am.

In answer to the question, though, I always say Ireland, but at some point I'm asked what part.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

When in Dublin I say the area I'm from and/or live ......... when outside Dublin, but still in Ireland, I say Dublin .......... when outside Ireland I say Ireland ........ it's really not that complicated a question/answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The county is irrelevant , Im an Irishman

MadDog76 wrote: »
    When in Dublin I say the area I'm from and/or live ......... when outside Dublin, but still in Ireland, I say Dublin .......... when outside Ireland I say Ireland ........ it's really not that complicated a question/answer.

And yet you haven't answered the question.

As most posters haven't.

This is not a "how do you describe where you're from" thread, it's more of a "how do you define yourself, by reference to your locality or nationality". Answering the question as to where I'm from is only an indicator of where my loyalties lie.

To take an extreme example, if Dublin rose up in rebellion against the country tomorrow, would you stick with Dublin or would you fight for the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

"Ireland"
    they dont have know my adres

So, how do you identify yourself? By reference to your county/locality...or country?

For me it's always Kerry first. When abroad, when asked where I'm from, apparently I always say "Kerry...in Ireland"...or so my wife tells me, I can't say it's conscious. But when I think about it, I think I get more defensive about Kerry than Ireland. It's not that I struggle with Irish identity, it's just that I can't pretend to have a close affinity for, say, people from Dublin or Donegal.

As most posters haven't.

This is not a "how do you describe where you're from" thread, it's more of a "how do you define yourself, by reference to your locality or nationality". Answering the question as to where I'm from is only an indicator of where my loyalties lie.

To take an extreme example, if Dublin rose up in rebellion against the country tomorrow, would you stick with Dublin or would you fight for the country?

You say Kerry and I've told you what I say ......... that's your Op question answered.

Regarding the hypothetical rebellion question, it depends what personal gain I stand to acquire from the conflict in question.

it depends what personal gain I stand to acquire from the conflict in question.

Ah, a member of the recent electorate has joined the discussion

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

If Galway were to rise up, I'd take advantage of the ensuing chaos and immediately begin rounding up all the crusties. Firing squad or the boat. No matter the outcome of the war ( :pac: ), the county and the country would be much better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,071 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As most posters haven't.

Out of interest, why do you define yourself by where you come from? It doesn't really tell people anything about yourself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Ah, a member of the recent electorate has joined the discussion

It's a genuine answer ........ let's say, for example, that fighting for Dublin would put my family in harm's way ........ I wouldn't be fighting for Dublin in that case.

It's all a bit silly really ......... most of us Irish people would side with Ireland on an international stage, or with their County on a national stage or the area they're from if it became local or their street if it was under attack or just their own personal home/family if that situation arose ........ when it comes down to it we all really only care about ourselves/families and rightly so, nothing else matters.

We can all pretend to be "Proud [Random County]ers" but only in regards to a GAA match really.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's a genuine answer ........ let's say, for example, that fighting for Dublin would put my family in harm's way ........ I wouldn't be fighting for Dublin in that case.

It's all a bit silly really ......... most of us Irish people would side with Ireland on an international stage, or with their County on a national stage or the area they're from if it became local or their street if it was under attack or just their own personal home/family if that situation arose ........ when it comes down to it we all really only care about ourselves/families and rightly so, nothing else matters.

We can all pretend to be "Proud [Random County]ers" but only in regards to a GAA match really.

perhaps it might be better if you either (a) didnt join any fight, (b) looked at it intelligently and joined the fight that was in the national interest or (b) ignored parochial interests and didnt get involved

wed have avoided a civil war too.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    perhaps it might be better if you either (a) didnt join any fight, (b) looked at it intelligently and joined the fight that was in the national interest or (b) ignored parochial interests and didnt get involved

wed have avoided a civil war too.

I think you might have stumbled out of the Politics Cafe and accidentally fell into After Hours .......... :pac:

Advertisement