Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County or country first?

Options
  • 06-03-2016 1:03am

So, how do you identify yourself? By reference to your county/locality...or country?

For me it's always Kerry first. When abroad, when asked where I'm from, apparently I always say "Kerry...in Ireland"...or so my wife tells me, I can't say it's conscious. But when I think about it, I think I get more defensive about Kerry than Ireland. It's not that I struggle with Irish identity, it's just that I can't pretend to have a close affinity for, say, people from Dublin or Donegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's not that I struggle with Irish identity, it's just that I can't pretend to have a close affinity for, say, people from Dublin or Donegal.

Yes, people who come from different parts of a tiny island are wildly different from each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I've toult 'oo before, I'll tell 'oo agin - my mother and father were two Kerry min! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Northsider bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Limerick. Munster. Ireland. Europe. Northern Hemisphere. Earth. Solar System. Milky Way. Local Group. Local Supercluster. Universe.

Bally bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Good man, for me im first and foremost a Tipp man, Us rural folk have a unique culture and lifestyle so i know what you mean about Dublin. I find folk from the east and north to be a totally different breed to us in munster or the midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So, how do you identify yourself? By reference to your county/locality...or country?

For me it's always Kerry first. When abroad, when asked where I'm from, apparently I always say "Kerry...in Ireland"...or so my wife tells me, I can't say it's conscious. But when I think about it, I think I get more defensive about Kerry than Ireland. It's not that I struggle with Irish identity, it's just that I can't pretend to have a close affinity for, say, people from Dublin or Donegal.

I think you have healyraeitus:D.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Depends whom I'm talking to tbh. Most people in the UK can piece together I'm Irish without me explicitly saying so :D So when asked where I'm from by them I say "Galway, tis on the west coast". 80% of the time they'll reply with something alluding to the "Galway Girl" song, I'll smile and nod... and die a little inside.

With those from farther afield I'll simply say I'm Irish and wait for the praise and glory which we've been led to believe we should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Depends whom I'm talking to tbh. Most people in the UK can piece together I'm Irish without me explicitly saying so :D So when asked where I'm from by them I say "Galway, tis on the west coast". 80% of the time they'll reply with something alluding to the "Galway Girl" song, I'll smile and nod... and die a little inside.

With those from farther afield I'll simply say I'm Irish and wait for the praise and glory which we've been led to believe we should expect.

Until a few years ago I would have said county first (Dublin). Since then I've worked and lived all over Ireland and I feel a bit different now. So it's country first for me

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Good Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Dublin, Ireland. I once met someone in America who did not know where Ireland was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ireland first. Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I put planet Earth first, then continent, then country, then county, then parish and finally my townsland that I live in which I love dearly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

RobertKK wrote: »
    I put planet Earth first, then continent, then country, then county, then parish and finally my townsland that I live in which I love dearly.

What about your own beloved galaxy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Irish people are nearly always so proud of where they're find, case in point would be the boundary reviews. People going mad so that the county they're from, their identity isn't changed.

Personally speaking I'd say Carlow, Éire as I'm too proud a Carlovian to just say Éire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ireland
    I was born in Dublin from a Cork father I work in Mayo and live in Sligo
    I'm cosmopolitan me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Ireland
    The county thing is a mad notion that I completely fail to grasp.
    How can anyone identify with geographic boundaries drawn up by English nobility? The funniest thing about the county system is the GAA is its biggest supporter.

Ireland
    The county thing is a mad notion that I completely fail to grasp.
    How can anyone identify with geographic boundaries drawn up by English nobility? The funniest thing about the county system is the GAA is its biggest supporter.

I don't disagree, hence I referred to "county/locality" in the body of the OP. So being from South Kerry, I completely identify with people in West Cork too, as much as any person from North Kerry, county was a more convenient reference than "people within an hours drive". But East Cork...different world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Outside Ireland: Ireland
    Within Ireland: Offaly

RayM wrote: »
    Yes, people who come from different parts of a tiny island are wildly different from each other...

I think of Bere Island as a small island. But the people from the east and west end are different...maybe not wildly but different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

There's probably Corkonians who go by street :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

mansize wrote: »
    Outside Ireland: Ireland
    Within Ireland: Offaly

This, except a different county. I'm not that unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Country.

I don't think anyone I've met outside of Ireland cared remotely what county I come from. Most of them wouldn't even have heard of it. Fair enough if you want to be proud of your own backyard, but I think it means a lot more to us than it does to anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Country first then county mainly. Only in the UK would ya maybe say your county. Or often if your away to rugby matches like maybe Cardiff like at World Cup they'd wonder what Province your from. In UK you'd find they'd have good knowledge enough of alot of county names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭Rattser

The vast majority of foreigners wouldn't have a breeze if you just told them what county you're from. So, Ireland. And if they still look confused, the island beside the UK/England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Lets be totally irish and say townland first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

This, except a different county. I'm not that unlucky.

Clearly our loss... 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Abroad, you have to gauge who's asking you where you're from. By saying Ireland you run the risk of them embarrassing you with "no d'uh, where in Ireland?" Either way I lose as nobody, especially in the US, knows where Monaghan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Healy-Rae voter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 422 ✭✭LeeLooLee

unjedilike wrote: »
    Abroad, you have to gauge who's asking you where you're from. By saying Ireland you run the risk of them embarrassing you with "no d'uh, where in Ireland?" Either way I lose as nobody, especially in the US, knows where Monaghan is.

And many people in Ireland think Monaghan is in Northern Ireland.

Advertisement