Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't get why people ask what the point of a pro console would be. More power? The PS4 Pro is not a "4k" console despite the marketing spiel, loads of games running at 1080p, dynamic res, poor framerate, and all that. Next gen 'pro' console should be able to do 4k native at 60fps. That's a huge step up. The base consoles probably 1440p-4k dynamic scaling 60fps.

Yes but the "Pro" was basically released as a stop-gap to tide them over until they were ready to begin the PS5 build-up.

Put it this way:
    How upset would you be if you bought the base PS5 only to find that the PS5Pro became the dominant machine and the games released for your base console would be cut-down, hobbled versions of the "Full" game and your console eventually was discontinued.

Alternatively, how upset would you be if you spent an extra 250 euro on the Pro only to find that none of the enhanced features of the Pro were used and the machine basically ran the same as the base model.

"Enhanced" features require development, implementation, testing etc. All of these are costs so developers are only going to develop for the device(s) with the biggest install base.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Confirmed Holiday 2020

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1181544095950368768
    Since we originally unveiled our next-generation console in April, we know that there’s been a lot of excitement and interest in hearing more about what the future of games will bring. Today I’m proud to share that our next-generation console will be called PlayStation 5, and we’ll be launching in time for Holiday 2020.

These updates may not be a huge surprise, but we wanted to confirm them for our PlayStation fans, as we start to reveal additional details about our vision for the next generation. WIRED magazine covered these updates and more in a story that posted this morning.

The “more” refers to something I’m quite excited about – a preview of the new controller that will ship with PlayStation 5. One of our goals with the next generation is to deepen the feeling of immersion when you play games, and we had the opportunity with our new controller to reimagine how the sense of touch can add to that immersion.

To that end, there are two key innovations with the PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Interesting ideas re: the controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow

Immediately thought of HZD!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Interesting ideas re: the controllers.

It's great, fantastic for racing games IMO. Xbox One controller has it, as do the switch joycons but they are on another level.

• Advertisement

It's interesting the way they have been talking about PS5 so much and so openly before an actual reveal. I can't recall anything like that before. I guess it's to pre-empt leaks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

People overthink it. Sony want a large install base, that's their goal. The best way to do that is with a low price. Proven time and time again. There is no way they launch with a base $600 system. Even a $500 entry-point is pushing it.

$399 entry-point is a price that was enormously successful for the PS4. It was enormously successful for MS with the 360. I see that as the number that they are aiming for. The problem with that is that it's going to be underpowered if native 4K is your goal. 4K is still very resource intensive. Now if checkerboard 4K is your goal, I think a $399 system can be fine. It's not overkill for owners of 1080p sets (of which there are still many) and it's not underkill for owners of 4K sets. The man on the street will be perfectly happy with it.

You'll have the hardcores whine that it's not real 4K. So that's where the Pro comes in. Buy it if you want.

I expect a base system at $399 and a Pro system at $599.

I don't see any problem with that, the mid-gen consoles have proved there's no issue. No devs are complaining about extra work, no consumers are confused.

I do not understand the people complaining about a 4K console, I own a PC, a very beefy one, i9 9900k, 2080 Super etc. And getting anything above 30fps on 4k with my 2.5k PC is near impossible, so people moaning their 400 euro console cannot do it is laughable, the technology is not there yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Increasing the resistance as the bow is drawn, or increasing it as you hold it fully drawn.

Having the brake have more resistance, or if playing with manual gearbox have a trigger be the clutch and be actually able to feel the biting point.

L2 for most control setups is ads, and then R2 is shoot. You could have the resistance change based on the gun, low resistance when using a sidearm but something heavier has a bit of resistance. Same for any melee weapons, heavy attack has some resistance to the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's interesting the way they have been talking about PS5 so much and so openly before an actual reveal. I can't recall anything like that before. I guess it's to pre-empt leaks ?

This seems like a better way to drum up anticipation rather than waste a ton of money on multiple events.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Gets the hype rolling but also, and I'm open to correction on this by someone who follows gaming news more closely than I, but it feels like the speculation for previous consoles ran away with itself somewhat with the effect that people ended up reacting a little disappointingly when they found out the specs weren't going to be as out-of-this-world as the "leaks" suggested so in that regard it also manages expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

Nice to hear it's still aiming for PS4 at least, likely next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If it looks like that dev kit with the big V in it I genuinely can't see myself buying it, its hideous. Really hope it doesn't, I've always owned whatever Playstation was out at a particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

.G. wrote: »
    If it looks like that dev kit with the big V in it I genuinely can't see myself buying it, its hideous. Really hope it doesn't, I've always owned whatever Playstation was out at a particular time.

the ps2 was the only dev-kit that looked like the finished product. I doubt the 5 will

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Gets the hype rolling but also, and I'm open to correction on this by someone who follows gaming news more closely than I, but it feels like the speculation for previous consoles ran away with itself somewhat with the effect that people ended up reacting a little disappointingly when they found out the specs weren't going to be as out-of-this-world as the "leaks" suggested so in that regard it also manages expectations.
    Very good point and with that in mind we can see some hints which are designed to manage expectations.

Cerny talked (in April) about using the ray tracing hardware for audio .. someone today talked about ray traced shadows. Both of these could be interpreted as hints towards ray tracing hardware that's a little underwhelming.

Cerny mentioned how the use of an SSD avoids the need to dupe assets accross a HDD and thus saves space. About the least interesting/exciting aspect of using an SSD so why mention it ? Perhaps to prepare people for a fairly small SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, he said "In time for Holiday 2020", so may even be September or October.
    Looking at previous PS console releases, none released worldwide at the same time.

The New Xbox is Holiday 2020 as well, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hmm, he said "In time for Holiday 2020", so may even be September or October.
    Looking at previous PS console releases, none released worldwide at the same time.

The New Xbox is Holiday 2020 as well, isn't it?

Holidays in the US is generally late November (post Thanksgiving) until sometime in January.

September or October are firmly within 'Fall' season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Basically ray tracing would be ambient occlusion, display of light through windows etc, the 2nd level is shadows etc on surfaces and then you have the full monty for the third level.
    We’re only going to see the first 2 levels on the new consoles if indeed the we even get the second level.
    Big talk by Sony on the SSD which is the least interesting spec of the new consoles or should be.
    I hope they don’t cheap out and do a 256gb model. Would be a complete farce. Minimum 500gb really at least.
    Regarding the looks I couldn’t care less if it looked like the Roseanne Barr’s ass. As long as it quiet and plenty of cooling which is far more important,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Holidays in the US is generally late November (post Thanksgiving) until sometime in January.

They'd want it out with a decent bit of time before black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I know that part, but what I meant was "in time for" means it could be just before.
    Though PS3 and PS4 both released in November in the States

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"Holidays" in the gaming industry can be anything from Oct, Nov and Dec. But usually it's used if they are targeting Oct but there is a high risk of a slip to Nov.

The perfect launch time is to launch in Oct. Get a second boost for Thanks Giving/Black Friday and a third run for Christmas. About 60% of the sales happen in that 3 month window. The other 40% in the rest of the 9 months. It's why that launch window is so crowded.

Since US thanks giving next year is the 26th Nov I reckon around the 15th Nov would be a good guess.

Prob see Xbox push for September/Oct. They can't be second to market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

**** it , I'm in , bought the last 2 on release and the ps2 I think the ps1 is the only one i haven't gotten on release day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

.G. wrote: »

I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's certainly no Microsoft monstrosity! It's different at least. But I do agree it's a very big change from previous gens, and it wouldn't look as subtle beside the tv.

I initially got excited about the DS5, but then I remembered, isn't that what the Xbox One controller is? Not a bad thing, the One controller had a lot of better aspects compared to the DS4 , but I still prefer the shape/hold/feel of the DS4. Hope the DS5 is similar shaped at least, don't think Sony would change it too drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will we ever see a full wireless console ???

Reckon a power plug would be hard to go wireless but maybe a chromecast like device for HDMI port etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I wonder if it'll be delivered on time. There's infighting, someone left and confusion over its direction.

https://fortune.com/2019/10/01/sony-playstation-boss-exits/?fbclid=IwAR2OyHYGAweKeqzm226DPJOwR2dDZ9KFdQ4DVfED4tF_Ln9VIYMG6J7baeY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't call that infighting. And worldwide studios would be overseeing software development, not hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Getting it day 1. Mostly to replace my loud as **** Pro! I look forward to buying a 2nd copy of TLOU 2 & Cyberpunk also :)

Hopefully Gamestop stay open long enough to offer a nice console trade in deal.

Only thing I don't like the sound of is the different tension settings on the triggers. Sounds cool how aiming a bow will have more tension than aiming a gun but I hope they use decent parts for the trigger. And please a longer ****ing battery life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I will hold off getting a PS5 for as long as possible. The PS4 has been the most disappointing and under used console I've ever bought and I feel things could even get worse with the PS5. It just doesn't make sense when you own a PC.

Saying that, the minute bloodborne 2 or some other From Software game gets announced exclusively for it I'll probably be there day 1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Day 1 if Bluepoint's rumored Demon Souls remake comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I will tell myself with certainty that I'll wait at least 6 months, then I'll cave in the first week and buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Xenji wrote: »
    Day 1 if Bluepoint's rumored Demon Souls remake comes with it.

With 6th archstone accessible!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement