Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never get the chance to play Bloodborne/TLOU et al. I'm not taking that chance and shall be throwing my money at the nearest shopkeep..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well if you dont understand the potential of a CPU and SSD upgrade over the current PS4 i can see why you might think that way.

Current gen games could potentially run at 60Hz instead of 30Hz,load times and install times could be massively reduced as well.

It doesnt really matter if the actual PS5 games themselves don't stand out. The PS4 has been one of the best gaming systems ever and I reckon the PS5 will be too but it took 18 months before the really great games started to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Current gen games could potentially run at 60Hz instead of 30Hz,load times and install times could be massively reduced as well.

Quicker load times would be nice and current gen games running at 60 would be nice also but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Even if those two things do work it really wouldn’t be enough to sway me to upgrade it’d be a no from me.

Give it a year or so to get going, a few decent releases, a console bundle price drop etc and boom I’m in.

Until then I have a backlog of ps4 games that I wouldn’t get through if I lived to a hundred with a perfectly good PlayStation to play them on.

To be fair I probably don’t play as much as others here, mainly buy games on sale, rarely on launch unless I know I’ll be playing it ongoing like a Destiny or whatever.

I don’t own Spider-Man or Horizon zero Dawn for example. I’ll get them in a sale at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I don’t own Spider-Man or Horizon zero Dawn for example. I’ll get them in a sale at some point.

Both are superb games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If it is backwards compatible, I wonder if it will actually be backwards compatible or will it be like the Xbox One where you can download a digital version of your game, when they make it available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Only for PS Plus, I'd probably own less than 10 PS4 games!

I just worked it out and there are 10 games that I have or want to play that aren't on any other platform so yeah when I think about that I will have to seriously consider about when or if I do buy a PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Attach rate for PS4 was apparently 9.6 which is meant to be high, which if you think about as 2-3 games a year might cover a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Quicker load times would be nice and current gen games running at 60 would be nice also but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Even if those two things do work it really wouldn’t be enough to sway me to upgrade it’d be a no from me.

Give it a year or so to get going, a few decent releases, a console bundle price drop etc and boom I’m in.

Until then I have a backlog of ps4 games that I wouldn’t get through if I lived to a hundred with a perfectly good PlayStation to play them on.

To be fair I probably don’t play as much as others here, mainly buy games on sale, rarely on launch unless I know I’ll be playing it ongoing like a Destiny or whatever.

I'm deliberately skipping Spiderman because it's sure to get a PS5 patch given that they're using it to showcase the improvements SSD bring. I figure it'll be part of the PlayStation hits collections by then and only 20 euro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think we will be stuck with 30Hz games again. Every gen 60Hz is promised but the visual gains from 30Hz are too tempting for publishers.

That and the fact it says it will be capable of 8K visuals. However with ray tracing I don't see how we are going to see games at even 1080p with that implemented as it's still very early tech. Although in that case I can see them using a solution like the current checkerboarding in the denoising step of the ray tracing to fake higher resolution, but even with that I doubt they will even get close to 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The ray tracing is supposed to be hardware accelerated in the new consoles with dedicated hardware for it like the Nvidia RTX range,so there should be a budget concerning ray tracing,stay inside that budget and the rest of the hardware shouldnt have any extra load. Also ray tracing has a suite of effects,i suspect that games will pick and choose from that suite rather than implementing every single option hence saving performance.

The fact they are putting Zen 2 in there gives me hope for 60Hz,microsoft are touting up to 120Hz refresh rates so i would be hopeful for a lot more 60Hz games. As usual though developers will decide if they want their game to run at 60Hz,they might decide to use the resources differently.

Native 4K would be great but the techniques they have developed this gen have done an ok job of replicating it ie the dynamic res scaling imo. Native 8K is obviously out of the question,it will be a much lower internal resolution upscaled at best.

The rumor that ive seen a couple times now,which im takin with a pich of salt,is a GPU around the class of a GTX 1080. Which would be quite the step up from current gen. That would be great.

I also feel because of the above we could well be paying a good bit more than €400 this time. That or they will have more than one console in the range and you pay to get the performance your happy with or thats in budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Surely the PS5 will introduce a feta-flop chipset capable of a 75-cake refresh rate?

An inbuilt transitory particle interceptor is probably essential or you could wind up with an unwelcome subharmonic oscillation on some of the more processor-heavy games such as the rumored Satan's Jam-Jar.

Either way, it's exciting time ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ray tracing is supposed to be hardware accelerated in the new consoles with dedicated hardware for it like the Nvidia RTX range,so there should be a budget concerning ray tracing,stay inside that budget and the rest of the hardware shouldnt have any extra load. Also ray tracing has a suite of effects,i suspect that games will pick and choose from that suite rather than implementing every single option hence saving performance.

The fact they are putting Zen 2 in there gives me hope for 60Hz,microsoft are touting up to 120Hz refresh rates so i would be hopeful for a lot more 60Hz games. As usual though developers will decide if they want their game to run at 60Hz,they might decide to use the resources differently.

Native 4K would be great but the techniques they have developed this gen have done an ok job of replicating it ie the dynamic res scaling imo. Native 8K is obviously out of the question,it will be a much lower internal resolution upscaled at best.

The rumor that ive seen a couple times now,which im takin with a pich of salt,is a GPU around the class of a GTX 1080. Which would be quite the step up from current gen. That would be great.

I also feel because of the above we could well be paying a good bit more than €400 this time. That or they will have more than one console in the range and you pay to get the performance your happy with or thats in budget.

The RTX cards have hardware accelerated ray tracing but it's just not really good enough just yet and struggles at 1080p even on monster machines. I suspect the next consoles won't even have that power. Checkerboarding has been a nice solution for the 4K issue on PS4 pro and can see a similar method employed for ray tracing but it can only do so much.

As for 60Hz, every gen promises 60Hz. There's just so much more graphical fidelity you can squeeze out at 30 Hz that it makes sense since graphics sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Surely the PS5 will introduce a feta-flop chipset capable of a 75-cake refresh rate?

An inbuilt transitory particle interceptor is probably essential or you could wind up with an unwelcome subharmonic oscillation on some of the more processor-heavy games such as the rumored Satan's Jam-Jar.

Either way, it's exciting time ahead.

here's the science!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The RTX cards have hardware accelerated ray tracing but it's just not really good enough just yet and struggles at 1080p even on monster machines. I suspect the next consoles won't even have that power. Checkerboarding has been a nice solution for the 4K issue on PS4 pro and can see a similar method employed for ray tracing but it can only do so much.

As for 60Hz, every gen promises 60Hz. There's just so much more graphical fidelity you can squeeze out at 30 Hz that it makes sense since graphics sell.

RTX has been improved upon a good bit since launch,its not as bad performance wise now. With ray tarcing being a suite of effects they dont have to implement the whole lot. And we dont know what the specific hardware is for acceleration. It could be different to RTX or have a different approach,we just k ow there will be dedicated hardware. I certainly wouldnt be surprised if as you say they devise techniques to make more of the hardware,that would be still better than the baked in stuff we have now.

Also i wouldnt rule out games having modes like they currently do. You could go for pretty or could go for fast.

You could tell when the specs for PS4 were released that we wouldnt get consistent 60fps this gen,8 core low TDP mobile part for the cpu.

They have said it will be full blown Zen 2 in the next gen,which is what gives me hope.

I expect a $399 base system and $599 pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

RTX will never be supported in the next gen consoles.
    Its far too heavy usage for a cheap gpu to barely handle let alone render at 1080p/4k.
    When you consider Nvidia's RTX 2800 TI struggles at it there's not a snowball's chance in hell a 500 euro console will cut it.

I'd be happier with increasing to 60hz , a far more noticeable difference.
    Even better would be 120hz but maybe next time.

Nobody is saying RTX will be supported,the similarity between RTX and what will be in the next consoles is that they both will use dedicated hardware to accelerate ray tracing.

What will decide how well that works is what type of hardware AMD have for it and how much of it they can use givin there will be budgetary restraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Blazer wrote: »
    RTX will never be supported in the next gen consoles.
    Its far too heavy usage for a cheap gpu to barely handle let alone render at 1080p/4k.
    When you consider Nvidia's RTX 2800 TI struggles at it there's not a snowball's chance in hell a 500 euro console will cut it.

I'd be happier with increasing to 60hz , a far more noticeable difference.
    Even better would be 120hz but maybe next time.

You are 100% correct in this part of your post as RTX is Nvidias attempt at Raytracing. AMD have their own solution.

The second part of your post... What cheap gpu ? Next gen consoles are looking very advanced with spec reports and capabilities that are being reported.

Third section... RTX is a dead horse already. Nv's implementation of Raytracing is obsolete already. it is a first gen attempt to milk cash from customers. The reports are that next gen consoles are using gen 2 Raytracing, as are the RDNA cards from AMD coming down the line.
    " https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/xbox-scarlett-update-gears-5-20130625 "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

AMD unfortunately haven’t said much about ray tracing except for its coming in 2020.
    Look at any AMD forum and a lot of fans are slating them and talking about switching to nvidia.
    You talk about first gen ray tracing but that was nvidia. This will be AMD’s first attempt at ray tracing and rumours are that the next navi card will match the rtx2700 in terms of ray tracing and retail for about €399-499.
    If you have any delusions about Microsoft or Sony delivering a console with this level of power for under €500 forget about it. It would be at least €700 minimum unless they take a huge hit on hardware which Sony will not do. MS can afford it but they stopped this tactic with the release of the Xbox one and i doubt they will revert.

They are rumours that Sony could release 2 consoles. A base model for €500 and a pro model for 650-750 which would be the ray tracing model I suspect. I highly doubt the base model would be able to do any sort of real ray tracing unless it was cloud based. And Sony’s record on cloud or indeed the psn network is pretty bad.
    Xbox is a much better platform for cloud since it ties in with Microsoft’s Azure platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I know it's spitballing but when do ppl reckon it'll be released. I probably won't buy it day 1 but saving euro a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just realised that trade in deals won't be too great for me since I just have the original PS4. The existence of the Pro devalues mine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

ronano wrote: »
    I know it's spitballing but when do ppl reckon it'll be released. I probably won't buy it day 1 but saving euro a day

November or December 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think the PS5 will be a March 2020 release! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I think the PS5 will be a March 2020 release! :)

They won't announce it this year as that'll take away sales at Christmas, so there isn't enough time for marketing after Christmas. There wouldn't even be enough time to build up massive hype between new and March!

I expect the same roll out as 2013 with a briefing in February and a November release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

They won't announce it this year as that'll take away sales at Christmas, so there isn't enough time for marketing after Christmas. There wouldn't even be enough time to build up massive hype between new and March!

I expect the same roll out as 2013 with a briefing in February and a November release.

PS4 is saturated enough! It owns the market. Switch came out in March and it done them no harm! Bigger install base for their first run into the "holiday" period. Plus in this era, the hype is already there, no need for extensive marketing to people on the fence, those who want it will be ready for it :)

Just what I think, I could miles off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Interesting to see that they will release the two models at launch.

Dunno if I can bring myself to pay the 600-750 for the pro version.

But sure I suppose look at how much people pay for the flagship phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought Sony said there would only be one console (No "Pro" version) however a quick google suggests otherwise.

It would seem a strange strategy. I could understand the point of the PS4-Pro. It gave Sony another 18 months-2 years to the PS4 cycle. They were not in a position to be able to deliver a full-fat next gen console at a consumer-level price for 2018 and needed to wait until AMD and Nvidia delivered their next generation architecture. It really was just a stop-gap. Same with the X-box X

But to launch two different versions of the same console at launch? It seems to be a misstep to me. It runs the risk dividing focus. Which system to developers develop for? Standard or Pro? Lets face it, the PS4 Pro was never really utilised - and this is coming from someone who upgraded.

Most people who will purchase a system at launch are early adopters so by "Holidays 2020" (Nov/Dec I presume) most people purchasing the PS5 will already have upgraded to a 4K screen. But the standard PS5 will be well capable of pushing 4K/60Hz.

I know, I know, they are promising Ray-tracing at 8K/120 Hz or whatever - I'll believe it when I see it. but even if it is possible, it will be a long LONG time before anyone anywhere is purchasing an 8K screen and before developers produce 8K games so really, is there going to be a point for a PS5 Pro? Or, if the pro is the one to go for then why the standard PS5?

Assuming the pricing is going to be on a par with previous releases: 500ish for PS5 and 650isg for PS5-Pro, it's not like the standard is going to be an "Entry Level" device and the Pro is the full-fat device. I think people would resist sending a lot of money on an "Entry-level" device if it was going to be ignored for big brother. Alternatively I can see people resisting the full-fat device if it offered no real benefit - They won't be burned twice.

These enhancements between standard and pro don't come free. They have to be developed and this costs money which is why there was no real point in the PS4-pro. certainly I would not have bought it had I seen the lack of support.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what's coming from Sony and Microsoft but I'm going to wait and see. If there is a "Pro" version of either console it better be more convincing than the current Pros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't get why people ask what the point of a pro console would be. More power? The PS4 Pro is not a "4k" console despite the marketing spiel, loads of games running at 1080p, dynamic res, poor framerate, and all that. Next gen 'pro' console should be able to do 4k native at 60fps. That's a huge step up. The base consoles probably 1440p-4k dynamic scaling 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a big difference between releasing a pro versions years later and at launch of the normal version. The PS4 pro was the same price as the launch PS4. There isn't a chance they're going to do it.

• Advertisement

People overthink it. Sony want a large install base, that's their goal. The best way to do that is with a low price. Proven time and time again. There is no way they launch with a base $600 system. Even a $500 entry-point is pushing it.

$399 entry-point is a price that was enormously successful for the PS4. It was enormously successful for MS with the 360. I see that as the number that they are aiming for. The problem with that is that it's going to be underpowered if native 4K is your goal. 4K is still very resource intensive. Now if checkerboard 4K is your goal, I think a $399 system can be fine. It's not overkill for owners of 1080p sets (of which there are still many) and it's not underkill for owners of 4K sets. The man on the street will be perfectly happy with it.

You'll have the hardcores whine that it's not real 4K. So that's where the Pro comes in. Buy it if you want.

I expect a base system at $399 and a Pro system at $599.

I don't see any problem with that, the mid-gen consoles have proved there's no issue. No devs are complaining about extra work, no consumers are confused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement