Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-03-2019, 12:25   #181
limnam
Registered User
 
limnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
Maybe I'm speaking American English? Where did I say I was part of the solution?

I took by "those who" that you're not one of them...
limnam is offline  
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 12:26   #182
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
You might have some credence if you posted that as gaeilge.

It's multi cultural world. There's literally an entire world outside of the comely maidens dancing at the cross roads. And, btw, would the local LOI garrison playing teams be Irish enough for you?
Irish culture is about dancing at the crossroads and being against foreign sports? You've just proved my point.
Perifect is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:28   #183
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
No you're not.
Where did I say I'm a part of the solution?
Perifect is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:30   #184
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc59 View Post
I don't need a link I live there
Right...but I'm the one who needs a link because I don't live there. Why do you think I asked for one? For you?
8-10 is offline  
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 12:31   #185
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by limnam View Post
I took by "those who" that you're not one of them...
I don't follow English teams, I think it's important to be proud of our culture and traditions. It's clear here, many look down their nose at our culture and traditions, hence they are active participants in turning Ireland into little England.
Perifect is offline  
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 12:32   #186
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
Irish culture is about dancing at the crossroads and being against foreign sports? You've just proved my point.
How have I proved your point - I'm having a tough time trying to see what your point is.

What Irish culture do you think is in danger and that should be preserved?
Avatar MIA is offline  
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 12:34   #187
limnam
Registered User
 
limnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
I don't follow English teams, I think it's important to be proud of our culture and traditions. It's clear here, many look down their nose at our culture and traditions, hence they are active participants in turning Ireland into little England.

Seems you're missing the point then....
limnam is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:34   #188
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar MIA View Post
How have I proved your point - I'm having a tough time trying to see what your point is.

What Irish culture do you think is in danger and that should be preserved?
You look down your nose at Irish culture while embracing English culture.
Perifect is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:35   #189
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by limnam View Post
Seems you're missing the point then....
On the contrary, the point has completely sailed over your head.
Perifect is offline  
Advertisement
09-03-2019, 12:36   #190
GinAndBitter
Banned
 
GinAndBitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 728
Me uncle worked in Manchester in the 70s, or something.
GinAndBitter is offline  
Thanks from:
09-03-2019, 12:36   #191
Maurice Yeltsin
Banned
 
Maurice Yeltsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichoholic View Post
Is it because Irish teams are ****e and English teams are far superior?
Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs. Tens of thousands through the gates at eternal non achievers in the London area (Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Brentford, Leyton, Southend, Charlton Athletic, Luton, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, QPR, Fulham) when the easy option would be to fob these off in favour of Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Arsenal.

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies. Kids today wouldn't believe that until 18 or so years ago very few people outside of South east Dublin and Limerick cared for the rugby side.

Last edited by Maurice Yeltsin; 09-03-2019 at 12:40.
Maurice Yeltsin is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:36   #192
limnam
Registered User
 
limnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
On the contrary, the point has completely sailed over your head.

It seems to be sailing over most people's.


Maybe you can formulate it better.
limnam is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:39   #193
RobMc59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Right...but I'm the one who needs a link because I don't live there. Why do you think I asked for one? For you?
Apologies
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ious-1.1655070
RobMc59 is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:40   #194
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 6,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perifect View Post
You look down your nose at Irish culture while embracing English culture.
Pointing out the deficiencies in LOI football is looking down on Irish culture?

Pog mo thoin!
Avatar MIA is offline  
09-03-2019, 12:41   #195
8-10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Yeltsin View Post
Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Stockport are comparatively ****e.

In a county with a population half of that of Ireland and with four giants within spitting distance they get more through the gates than the whole LOI. Four small teams that share a city with two of the biggest teams in the world get more in the gate of any of the big three Dublin clubs. Tens of thousands through the gates at eternal non achievers in the London area (Crystal Palace, Millwall, West Ham, Brentford, Leyton, Southend, Charlton Athletic, Luton, Crawley, AFC Wimbledon, QPR, Fulham) when the easy option would be to fob these off in favour of Chelsea and, to a lesser extent, Spurs and Arsenal.

It's a cultural problem in this country more than anything. We are event junkies.
Leinster and Munster get good attendances though it has to be said. Their average Pro 14 attendance is higher than many established Premiership clubs like Gloucester, Northampton, Bath etc
8-10 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet