Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef: The Professionals

Options
  • 05-11-2020 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭

Back next Tuesday, 9pm, BBC1.

Marks beginning of Christmas for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yayy, just spotted this on my clever Sky planner! I had missed this post, and had no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Professional Masterchef just started this evening.(9pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just finished bake off and switched over! I prefer the regular one though. At least if they mess up they haven't got the disappointed look from Marcus and Monica!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

The fact this was filmed during Covid is quite evident anyway! Not sure if i like or dislike the idea of either Monica or Marcus watching on the screens during the Skills Challenge. I guess good to hear insights from them away from the challange.

It was always 6 chefs starting each episode (at least in recent years). Looks to be down to 4 now, dunno will that dilute it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Wonder how they are going to manage sending them into restaurants and outside challenges etc. Maybe scrapped completely

• Advertisement

I don't get the bit about Marcus watching on a screen..... the skills test was only ever one of them (whoever set the challenge) and Greg before, wasn't it?

Great start to tonight's show (even if it was sweetbreads, yuck!) - can only all be downhill from here, surely?!

So it wasn't all completely downhill after all! What a great round.

Now, for something completely O/T..... any music heads watching???

Can anyone tell me what the music was that they played while watching Michaela prepare her second round courses? I know it SO well, but cannot for the life of me think of the name of it! (It's a remix, so Shazam was no use to me)

Please, please let someone out there know what it was, it's driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't get the bit about Marcus watching on a screen..... the skills test was only ever one of them (whoever set the challenge) and Greg before, wasn't it?

No, they were always both there (at least since Marcus started, can't remember when it was Michel, though I think it was the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well that was an interesting surprise tonight. I was expecting them to pick Victor as he seemed to have done a touch more than Philli, but putting both through kind of makes sense when you think about it. There have indeed been three really good cooks out of the eight this week.

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well that was an interesting surprise tonight. I was expecting them to pick Victor as he seemed to have done a touch more than Philli, but putting both through kind of makes sense when you think about it. There have indeed been three really good cooks out of the eight this week.
    The standard was incredibly high this first week! That poor fella who got knocked out last night didn't do a whole lot wrong, really, just held back a bit and got outclassed by all the others.....

I thought Victor was going to shade it because he'd done so well in the first round but Philli panicked (but still managed to turn out a creditable dish, I do not know how!)

I really hope Philli calms down a bit for the next rounds - that level of nervous tension will give either her or me a heart attack if she keeps it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Just after finishing the second heat so am a bit behind but thought it was harsh to get rid of Harrison especially considering Victor failed to fully plate his desert. Think there was probably merit to putting both through but maybe they couldn't with Covid.

Ants in a desert ??
    Bollox..

I was sorry to see Jono go through over Hera - he was just trying a bit too hard with his ants and hay, and they all agreed he didn't pull it off.

Hera on the other hand just didn't set his posset to their exact tastes - I often question how on earth they're meant to know in advance what the exact requirements are of the judges/ critics - they're not psychic!

Anyway, between that and Hermine going out of GBBO tonight, I'm quite grumpy now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I'm really surprised he went out too. The issue with the posset was one of texture, while Jono's dessert didn't seem to taste that good.

Alex's food looked delicious.

The standard is so high this year due to the reduced numbers taking part. It's really bad luck for the good chefs going out in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

31 yr old self-taught chef coming up.

As Malcolm Hardee used to say "Could be good, could be sh!t"

I feared that yer wan was going to be a disaster. BBC propaganda of having a chef from the armed services every year, they never do fantastic and are often well below the standard of others.

tinpib wrote: »
    31 yr old self-taught chef coming up.

As Malcolm Hardee used to say "Could be good, could be sh!t"

Turned out to be a bit sh!t, well had a bad day anyway. Yer wan Ash redeemed herself but probably just not up to the standard.

Surprised there aren't more tears on this show, it means so much to them. I'd say that Nepalese guy has an interesting story, going from Nepal to India to UK.

When I get old, I want to live in whatever care home the Scottish guy is working in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Is it just me or do Monica's skill tests seem to have an extra bit of evil thrown in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭ebbsy

twill wrote: »
    I'm really surprised he went out too. The issue with the posset was one of texture, while Jono's dessert didn't seem to taste that good.

Alex's food looked delicious.

The standard is so high this year due to the reduced numbers taking part. It's really bad luck for the good chefs going out in the first round.

+1

How did the guy who did the ants/hay desert get through.

Jono is fairly arrogant, but he backed it up there.

I'm rooting for this care home dude though.

Only tuning in now, but Jono didn't exactly capture my heart in the first round, so interested to see just how bad he is this time!

Ross (he was the care home fella, I think?) and the really young guy from the first night are definitely my two favourites that I'll be rooting for.

Completely O/T - but would someone EVER buy Grace a proper bra??!!

All 4 are very good.
    This should be good !

Completely O/T - but would someone EVER buy Grace a proper bra??!!

I always enjoy her slo-motion walks.

Only tuning in now, but Jono didn't exactly capture my heart in the first round, so interested to see just how bad he is this time!

Ross (he was the care home fella, I think?) and the really young guy from the first night are definitely my two favourites that I'll be rooting for.
    Very bad.

God, I can't stand that smug attitude.

And that bore no more resemblance to fish'n'chips than my Spaghetti Bolognese dinner this evening.

He doesn't bother me right now, has has backed it up so far, but his attitude is setting himself up for a fall.

The Nepalese fella was genuinely surprised there, nice to see.

Ross' dishes were a bit too safe and when he didn't execute them perfectly he was in trouble.

A good few years ago, maybe 5/6 at least there was this guy on Masterchef Professionals who was extremely arrogant even in his introductory video where they show them in their work kitchen/restaurant. I took an instant dislike to him.

He totally nailed the skills test and his arrogance continued, but then his standards started to slip.

He made it to cook for the critics and it all went pear-shaped. I can't remember exactly but he was extremely late and/or he made a total haims of parts of his dishes and couldn't serve them.

So the judges sent him into the critics to explain he would be late etc and by the time he got into them he had completely broken down with his bottom lip quivering and as he spoke he was blubbering and bawling like a 6 year old.

It was tough to watch but it was perhaps a bit of karma for how arrogant he was earlier. I was actually thinking of him earlier today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Reminds me a bit of Sven from a few years ago.

Advertisement