Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-03-2019, 11:43   #421
DoraDelite

Off to Bad Gastein tomorrow for a 5 day trip, season finale!
Advertisement
26-03-2019, 13:25   #422
BarryNumber1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
As other have said, decent goggle lens, tree runs or try get above or below the cloud line. If you can't get out of it then prob go for a coffee/beer/early lunch as generally its not worth it to keep going.
Thanks for the replies... With only a few days this year it was hard to call it quits, eventually did as I went arse over tit one too many times. I thought I had good lenses, i just couldn't see the changing moguls even on regular pistes (a mixture of dark grey sky and snowing at the same time). Can anyone recommend a particular lens type?
26-03-2019, 15:27   #423
DoraDelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryNumber1 View Post
Thanks for the replies... With only a few days this year it was hard to call it quits, eventually did as I went arse over tit one too many times. I thought I had good lenses, i just couldn't see the changing moguls even on regular pistes (a mixture of dark grey sky and snowing at the same time). Can anyone recommend a particular lens type?
I've use the Rose lens in the Oakley prizm range for the last 4 or 5 years in all sorts of conditions: https://www.oakley.com/en-us/prizm/snow

There's no magic bullet as when it's really bad you'll see nothing no matter what lens you've in! but I've found the above lens give me decent contrast in the majority of low vis days.
Thanks from:
26-03-2019, 16:50   #424
cocker5

Quote:
for really bad weather I use my low light (orange lens), they are magnetic so easy swapping them on and off

https://www.summitworldwide.eu/produ...gory/talisman/
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2019, 21:09   #425
BarryNumber1

Cheers, the Oakleys look worth a punt
Advertisement
27-03-2019, 09:40   #426
kal7

I use the orange tint for low light, works best for me.

Sometimes light so flat nothing works for vision, keep knees loose and expect to be in and out front and back door alot.

I will ski terrible light as only get 6 days a year, my wife and most friends call it a day.
Thanks from:
27-03-2019, 10:43   #427
Rew

Quote:
Cheers, the Oakleys look worth a punt
For bad light their Prizm Hi Pink is apparently excellent, i haven't tried it but I have the Rose and the Black lens and very are both very good.
Thanks from:
01-04-2019, 16:22   #428
fmlarnapairce

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwakamoley View Post
Wow, I'd never heard of those UCPA courses but just looked them up and I'm really impressed!
Really good course, UCPA in Argentiere is a chilled out spot, really well run, great value for money, excellent instruction and gear hire. Can't think of one downside to the place.

would highly recommend for a group or especially if travelling alone.

Conditions in some parts of Chamonix valley so so, slushy as it was pretty hot (factor 30 all the way!), but higher up in grand montets area had good snow in parts off piste and pistes in good nick.
Thanks from:
01-04-2019, 19:34   #429
gwakamoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmlarnapairce View Post
Really good course, UCPA in Argentiere is a chilled out spot, really well run, great value for money, excellent instruction and gear hire. Can't think of one downside to the place.

would highly recommend for a group or especially if travelling alone.
That's awesome, I'll definitely be strongly considering a UCPA course next year!
Advertisement
03-04-2019, 16:41   #430
In the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by a148pro View Post
Never heard of one to be honest - do boarders wear them?

Helmet a good idea certainly
I always wear a back protector, 100% of the time. Protects you from regular falls, going off unseen edges & out of control skiers & boarders creaming into you.

It sounds weird but if you're wearing a back protector & your falling onto your back, you can just commit to the fall & are less likely to incur an injury trying to save yourself.
Thanks from:
03-04-2019, 16:44   #431
Hal3000

Just back from Chamonix / Les Houches. Icy slopes at Les Houches. Very fast conditions but still really enjoyable trip.
04-04-2019, 08:35   #432
a148pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the wind View Post
I always wear a back protector, 100% of the time. Protects you from regular falls, going off unseen edges & out of control skiers & boarders creaming into you.

It sounds weird but if you're wearing a back protector & your falling onto your back, you can just commit to the fall & are less likely to incur an injury trying to save yourself.
Interesting - and that's skiing, not boarding?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion