Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I've stayed away from posting in this thread, as it is a very frustrating thread to read that just keeps going round in circles.

The only reason I am posting is after a trip I took on Sunday when I drove onto the Mall. It was just after 3pm, not rush hour. I was stopped between the steps up to Bishop's Palace, and the Theatre Royal. The lights went green, and the traffic moved forward two car spaces. 3 light changes later, and I still hadn't made it to the Munster bar!! Traffic was back to the lights, and constantly filled by traffic from William Street.

Out of pure frustration, when the lights went green for the fifth time, I changed lanes to go down William street, around by Bolton street and up by Katy Barry's. Ended up going back to John Street, New Street, and up by Ballybricken to get to the bridge. I could see on my detour that traffic was at a standstill back as far as Rapid Express on Parnell street.

Granted, the quay looks lovely now, much more pleasing on the eye than before, but what good is having it look pretty if you can't drive onto the bloody thing!!? :mad:

I got caught in that as well. Crazy.

tonc76 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ people it's a median not medium

when-comforting-a-grammar-nazi.jpg

Max Powers wrote: »
    it was always busy on mall and quays.
    if you think your example is bad, try drving in KK, Dublin, Galway.
    avoid mall and quays if you are driving through, bridge street easier.
    last thing, if you drive through a city centre, you should be expecting traffic.

Not at 3:00pm on a Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

last thing, if you drive through a city centre, you should be expecting traffic.

Yes, but there's no need to make it worse, which is what they have done in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

7upfree wrote: »
    when-comforting-a-grammar-nazi.jpg

That was not a grammar mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

7upfree wrote: »
    Not at 3:00pm on a Sunday.

We have no data on whether traffic has been significantly slower since before and after works, my hunch is not much difference, others clearly think its worse.

Another poster complained about length of time green man is on outside Crystal visitor centre and Parnell St, i could not disagree more, im often down that way and to me that just shows the (wrong) attitudes out there...'priority to car' etc etc.This attitude has to change, its obvious that we are trying to create a person friendly zone down in the VT and that is expanding across the city now with proposed works. when you drive into Waterford and any other city centre, pedestrians will/should have priority, you should expect traffic like in every city in the world, it shouldnt take you that long to find a car park space considering plenty of parking available, bypass for those not going to city centre, bit of traffic alright if you are travelling from F-bank/New Ross but reality is most should get a space easily, use bridge st or bypass if not going to city centre or just wait the 10-15 minutes its gonna take if you want to go the quays/dunmore road. Some park and walk (pedestrian bridge) on north side would be ideal for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talking about this now on Deise AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Yes approximately 0, as a btw worldwide between 5 and 10 % of deaths in hospitals are caused by wrongly administered drugs! Maybe you should worry about the big things?

So, basically, you have no solid facts or evidence to support your theory.

By the way, little things turn into big things if not stopped early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It's posts like this which make this thread a chore to read.
    Why use anywhere else as an example? This thread is about the changes to the quay, in Waterford!
    It's fair enough to expect traffic, but on a Sunday afternoon with nothing going on in the city, should the Mall be like a car park due to the quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Why use anywhere else as an example? This thread is about the changes to the quay, in Waterford!
    It's fair enough to expect traffic, but on a Sunday afternoon with nothing going on in the city, should the Mall be like a car park due to the quay?

It would appear that you were able to establish that it was due to the design of the Quay and not due to an accident, signal failure, illegally parked cars/buses etc? Is this the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone is going to lose their life because if it. That will be due to an Ambulance not being able to get to an emergency quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

ambulance.JPG

This was covered on WLR this morning.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ambulance.JPG

At least on that side they can get down the bus lane but not going the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ambulance.JPG

Not sure what they're on about in that picture, but the traffic looks light and clear in that photo....stuck me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

And you have the figures for the amount of people who died en route to WRH/UHW, specifically using the Quay?

compared to before and after the new road layout , ………..roughly 0 .

However I have noticed less HGVs on the quay .

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

That's cause they've been banned

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's cause they've been banned

I didn't think the council could ban them, wasn't this discussed before?

The idea for the changes was to put hgv off using the quays so they'd use the bypass, my understanding is the council had no actual powers to ban them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

New by-laws introduced I think. Can't remember where I read it but 100% sure that the five Axl ban came into effect from May.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

New by-laws introduced I think. Can't remember where I read it but 100% sure that the five Axl ban came into effect from May.

Just as well! I saw one trying to negotiate the roundabout at the post office a couple of months back. I thought he wasn't going to do it. It took him forever, and he had to go up on the footpath to get around it. Not safe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

it must be so frustrating for you.Like the man said, extra traffic could be due to incident up ahead. we dont know if traffic is worse or better, i personally dont see any signifcant change. You complained about 1 single incident and blamed the new layout of the quays, reality is quays was always 1 lane so there is not much difference in that respect, blaming new layout is illogical.
    People on here are in traffic in a city centre and the reaction is in general, straight to outrage, blame the new layout, phone Billy. I referenced other cities to highlight we dont to large extent have traffic issues in Waterford, people want to be able to go unimpeded through a city centre, that thinking is out with the dark ages. I drove straight down the Mall and Quays this morning at 7am and had no problems, does that mean, when i come back at 10am that i expect the same situation, no.
    People need to get over it, there will be traffic in any city centre, there will be delays in Waterford city centre, not much delays so take alternatives, park up in one of the many car parks or use alternative routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

it must be so frustrating for you.Like the man said, extra traffic could be due to incident up ahead. we dont know if traffic is worse or better, i personally dont see any signifcant change. You complained about 1 single incident and blamed the new layout of the quays, reality is quays was always 1 lane so there is not much difference in that respect, blaming new layout is illogical.
    People on here are in traffic in a city centre and the reaction is in general, straight to outrage, blame the new layout, phone Billy. I referenced other cities to highlight we dont to large extent have traffic issues in Waterford, people want to be able to go unimpeded through a city centre, that thinking is out with the dark ages. I drove straight down the Mall and Quays this morning at 7am and had no problems, does that mean, when i come back at 10am that i expect the same situation, no.
    People need to get over it, there will be traffic in any city centre, there will be delays in Waterford city centre, not much delays so take alternatives, park up in one of the many car parks or use alternative routes.

Couldn't have put it better myself....there are numerous reasons why traffic builds up on the quays.......pedestrian lights, disregard for parking rules, road works (dunmore rd at min), weather.....etc there are alternative routes available for through traffic without having to use the toll bridge......

wellboytoo wrote: »
    That was not a grammar mistake.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!:D

ngcxt6 wrote: »
    Not sure what they're on about in that picture, but the traffic looks light and clear in that photo....stuck me hole.

You wouldn't be saying that if your life was hanging by a thread in the back of it.

It was up for a couple of weeks on the Council's electronic signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

compared to before and after the new road layout , ………..roughly 0 .

However I have noticed less HGVs on the quay .

So, again, no proof, only speculation. I can turn that around and say that roughly 6 people have died en route to UHW since the changes. I've no proof though, so it shouldn't be taken seriously.

But, are people really saying that traffic is not worse since the changes? It's blatantly obvious it is. Granted, it was always troublesome at peak times, but now it can be troublesome midday, and a standstill at peak. I'm here 7 years, and aside from the odd occasion the traffic flowed relatively well during peak, but now it's a standstill. I've lost count of how many times i've been stuck on the Mall, not moving, even though the lights have changed 5/6 times. On the old layout, you would rarely have to wait through more than 3 light changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Would there not be some potential to build a emergency lane up thru the car parks.there is already a long lane running from the plaza to the clock tower close to the river side of the car park,if that could be extended all the way up to past the bus station it could be a option for emergency vehicles only during peak traffic hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

So, again, no proof, only speculation. I can turn that around and say that roughly 6 people have died en route to UHW since the changes. I've no proof though, so it shouldn't be taken seriously.

But, are people really saying that traffic is not worse since the changes? It's blatantly obvious it is. Granted, it was always troublesome at peak times, but now it can be troublesome midday, and a standstill at peak. I'm here 7 years, and aside from the odd occasion the traffic flowed relatively well during peak, but now it's a standstill. I've lost count of how many times i've been stuck on the Mall, not moving, even though the lights have changed 5/6 times. On the old layout, you would rarely have to wait through more than 3 light changes.

If someone died in an ambulance en route to the hospital then it would be all over the media......surely the ambulance driver assesses the severity of the case on route to the hospital and decides on the quickest way to get there based on a number of factors eg picking up a severely injured person from a road traffic accident on the M9 north of knocktopher what route would make sense? Via the new bridge and ring road surely the cost of the toll would hardly result him opting to go along the quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Road-Hog wrote: »
    If someone died in an ambulance en route to the hospital then it would be all over the media......surely the ambulance driver assesses the severity of the case on route to the hospital and decides on the quickest way to get there based on a number of factors eg picking up a severely injured person from a road traffic accident on the M9 north of knocktopher what route would make sense? Via the new bridge and ring road surely the cost of the toll would hardly result him opting to go along the quays?

Surely they don't have to pay tolls, mad if they do and more time wasting, that can't be right, no way.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Surely they don't have to pay tolls, mad if they do and more time wasting, that can't be right, no way.

I would imagine theres some sort of exemption for emergency vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

I work in the emergency services.

I have had to deal with several fatalities as a result of RTCs along the Quays.

Advertisement