Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm not 100% convinced about the roofing element yet, but I'm generally positive about it. It would be interesting to see further detail on it.

Parking is another issue. Buses are another - the service isn't really good enough to be able to leave the car at home.

I think it's a good idea in the main but they need to roof Michael Street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

eagerv wrote: »
    Just been through Waterford a few times over night and early this morning.

Many of the lights go through the whole cycle, even when there are no people around to press the pedestrian button. Surely a bit of repairing of the existing lights and road sensors would speed up the traffic flow.

I normally pass through in the early morning too. As far as I can tell, some of the lights go through the cycle until about 7am and then switch back to normal operation, so it's clearly a deliberate thing on a timer rather than needing to be repaired. Why they have it set to work that way, I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes I agree, the lights at the mall are fine outside of business hrs but hell between 8 and 6, even at the weekend. Coming from Lombard St, you can't even get into the mall with the cars stuck on the yellow box.

I had to drop someone to the reg the other night, I gave up and parked in bolten street car park and wheeled them up in a wheel chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

just Ban cars from the quays totally.... deliveries in the morning up till 9am... then only public transport and EMS vehicles...
    problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

robtri wrote: »
    just Ban cars from the quays totally.... deliveries in the morning up till 9am... then only public transport and EMS vehicles...
    problem solved

The problem of having people going to shops in Waterford instead of Clonmel and Kilkenny? It'd probably solve that alright.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    The problem of having people going to shops in Waterford instead of Clonmel and Kilkenny? It'd probably solve that alright.

it was sarcasm

sure they are doing that anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Fairly extensive plans in dublin to reduce traffic in city centre, obviously there traffic is 10 times worse than ours and they are (probably) going to close more roads to cars and we have whingers here about removing some of the useless/always blocked lanes on the quays to make it safer, nicer for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Max Powers wrote: »
    Fairly extensive plans in dublin to reduce traffic in city centre, obviously there traffic is 10 times worse than ours and they are (probably) going to close more roads to cars and we have whingers here about removing some of the useless/always blocked lanes on the quays to make it safer, nicer for all.

A key element of the Dublin plan is to direct traffic to viable alternative routes and significant investment in public transport. Some of that is already work in progress such as the luas cross city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

make it safer, nicer for all.
    :D:D:D

7upfree wrote: »
    :D:D:D

I presume since u can't write anything down then u agree is safer and nicer or at least u have no sensible disagreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

hardybuck wrote: »
    A key element of the Dublin plan is to direct traffic to viable alternative routes and significant investment in public transport. Some of that is already work in progress such as the luas cross city.

This is my problem with what has been done on The Quay and next round of pedestrianisation. It is reducing the capacity of the city centre to handle cars without increasing the capacity of public transport. Bearing in mind that most of the surrounding area of Waterford is rural and is dependent on the car to get into the city centre. The city itself just does not have the required level of public transport. They are changing the city centre to handle a type of people movement that we just don’t have and no have plans to bring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ger6219

Two and half years since my last post on this subject and indeed it turns out there is even more of a traffic mess on The Quay than ever before. I can't believe motorists in Waterford are not complaining to the Council about the crazy traffic delays on The Quay, after it was turned into a 'Green Route'. It took forever to build, causing severe traffic delays and upsetting shopkeepers, several of whom lost business and had to close as a result. The 'lucky ones' just lost a lot of their income. The Council promised everything would be better when finished, but to be honest, if -like me- you have to drive in and out with your car to get to work every day it's been an absolute nightmare. On average it adds half an hour per day to commuting times, and that is before the schools are back on again. The changes to the roads and the randomly controlled traffic lights have been so badly planned, that traffic on The Quay is at a standstill most of the day, particularly during afternoons and evenings. All, if any, advantage of introducing a so called 'Green Route' have been obliterated by a huge increase of exhaust fumes of idling cars being stuck in traffic. The cycling lanes are almost unused, bus lanes used as convenient car park facilities for coaches visiting hotels and cars use them to double park. Most drivers complain to everyone but to the people that can actually do something about it. Why don't we stand up and make sure improvements are made? Whoever is responsible for 'the Green Route' should try driving from De La Salle College via Lombard Street and The Quay to Ferrybank on any weekday between 4 and 6 pm and see if they can be proud of what they created. Before the 'Green Route' cars were able to drive over the Quay with relative ease. Generally traffic moved along well, not only on The Quay but also on Lombard Street/William Street/Park Road/Bridge Street and -of course- traffic having to cross the bridge. I call upon people in Waterford to contact their councillors and demand improvements are made, i.e. changing the right of way rules for cars exiting the car parks and introducing 'green waves' for traffic lights. In Europe you see that term being used for traffic lights that are timed to give green lights for a certain route as long as the cars drive at the recommended speed. Let's try to get the traffic in town moving again!

Ger6219 wrote: »
    Two and half years since my last post on this subject and indeed it turns out there is even more of a traffic mess on The Quay than ever before. I can't believe motorists in Waterford are not complaining to the Council about the crazy traffic delays on The Quay, after it was turned into a 'Green Route'. It took forever to build, causing severe traffic delays and upsetting shopkeepers, several of whom lost business and had to close as a result. The 'lucky ones' just lost a lot of their income. The Council promised everything would be better when finished, but to be honest, if -like me- you have to drive in and out with your car to get to work every day it's been an absolute nightmare. On average it adds half an hour per day to commuting times, and that is before the schools are back on again. The changes to the roads and the randomly controlled traffic lights have been so badly planned, that traffic on The Quay is at a standstill most of the day, particularly during afternoons and evenings. All, if any, advantage of introducing a so called 'Green Route' have been obliterated by a huge increase of exhaust fumes of idling cars being stuck in traffic. The cycling lanes are almost unused, bus lanes used as convenient car park facilities for coaches visiting hotels and cars use them to double park. Most drivers complain to everyone but to the people that can actually do something about it. Why don't we stand up and make sure improvements are made? Whoever is responsible for 'the Green Route' should try driving from De La Salle College via Lombard Street and The Quay to Ferrybank on any weekday between 4 and 6 pm and see if they can be proud of what they created. Before the 'Green Route' cars were able to drive over the Quay with relative ease. Generally traffic moved along well, not only on The Quay but also on Lombard Street/William Street/Park Road/Bridge Street and -of course- traffic having to cross the bridge. I call upon people in Waterford to contact their councillors and demand improvements are made, i.e. changing the right of way rules for cars exiting the car parks and introducing 'green waves' for traffic lights. In Europe you see that term being used for traffic lights that are timed to give green lights for a certain route as long as the cars drive at the recommended speed. Let's try to get the traffic in town moving again!

Use it everyday myself, prob reason people don't complain is because they like me think its an improvement, traffic always busy on quay before works and after to say otherwise is wrong,, its nicer, safer, cycle lanes etc and will help connect people to river especially when north quays done proper.I don't see any major issues for emergency services if people just used a tiny bit of common sense to pull in left.most who drive from ferrybank to DLS daily should be walking/cycling, it ain't far for most people.
    I think a lot of the absolutely ridiculous complaints are by serial whiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

...Before the 'Green Route' cars were able to drive over the Quay with relative ease. Generally traffic moved along well, not only on The Quay but also on Lombard Street/William Street/Park Road/Bridge Street and -of course- traffic having to cross the bridge....

That is just is not true. Half the time the the quay was down to one lane headed to the bridge because of double parking anyway.

I get stuck on the quay daily and have done for years. Peak times on any city centre quayside are all the same, I can't understand how Waterford is going to be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I think the changes are great. Waterford's majestic quayside is no longer used as a rat run for cars trying not to get to the city centre, and is now a pleasant and attractive urban scene - which still accommodates traffic, but which also provides for other users. The central median and the landscaping softens the view considerably and the whole setting is much more civilised and attractive.

Slow moving traffic is good for a city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

several of whom lost business and had to close as a result. The 'lucky ones' just lost a lot of their income

What businesses closed because of the changes????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

If I'm not mistaken there are 13 sets of traffic lights starting from the end of Parnell Street running through to the Bridge Hotel which in my humble opinion
    is way too many and doesn't allow a relatively quick flow of traffic through the city.

In town this afternoon and traffic was backed up the length of Parnell Street.
    I sympathise with both bus driver and those who use the service. It is just not good enough and city planners need to address this issue.

Who decided to put sheets of plywood upon the seats in the centre of town?
    Who also did a hatchet job on the tree outside of Ber Franks?
    The tree is dead now with the bark peeling away from the trunk!

What a total shower of idiots we have running this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If I'm not mistaken there are 13 sets of traffic lights starting from the end of Parnell Street running through to the Bridge

13 sets ?? off the top of my head if you include the set at the end of Parnell Street outside the credit union to outside the bridge hotel its just 7 sets of lights..

13 sets ?? off the top of my head if you include the set at the end of Parnell Street outside the credit union to outside the bridge hotel its just 7 sets of lights..

I'm including pedestrian crossings also in this count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'm including pedestrian crossings also in this count!

I included them and still only 7....

Outside Credit union
    Glass centre
    Lombard street junction
    At the plaza
    Clock tower
    Bus station
    Bridge hotel

• Advertisement

If I'm not mistaken there are 13 sets of traffic lights starting from the end of Parnell Street running through to the Bridge Hotel which in my humble opinion
    is way too many and doesn't allow a relatively quick flow of traffic through the city.

In town this afternoon and traffic was backed up the length of Parnell Street.
    I sympathise with both bus driver and those who use the service. It is just not good enough and city planners need to address this issue.

Who decided to put sheets of plywood upon the seats in the centre of town?
    Who also did a hatchet job on the tree outside of Ber Franks?
    The tree is dead now with the bark peeling away from the trunk!

What a total shower of idiots we have running this city.

the planners have a plan and it doesnt include many cars travelling through the city... they only want your car in the city if u are planning on stopping and carrying out business... other than that they want u out...

so making it hard to traverse is helping achieve this...

The shower of idiots are the people who travel through town without planning on being in town.... many major cities do not want your car in the city at all and are actively working to get them out of town...

I personally like what they have done to the quays and say thumbs up lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

As bad as the traffic is (I avoid at all costs), the area is such a nice place to walk around now. What I will say is the bus lanes need to go as buses don't use them so get rid of them until such a time when buses will use them as they set up makes the useless to buses.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As bad as the traffic is (I avoid at all costs), the area is such a nice place to walk around now. What I will say is the bus lanes need to go as buses don't use them so get rid of them until such a time when buses will use them as they set up makes the useless to buses.

Buses can't use them due to the amount of traffic parked in them!

There is a bus lane on the Newtown Road and it's used for parking!

Buses can't use them due to the amount of traffic parked in them!

There is a bus lane on the Newtown Road and it's used for parking!

More half truths...there are times on the bus lane.

More half truths...there are times on the bus lane.

There are times on all bus lanes but still people park in them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... doesn't allow a relatively quick flow of traffic through the city...

Good, traffic should be kept out of the centre.

Was in Waterford recently couldn't believe the traffic. Most of which seemed to be passing through. Is there no orbital route or ring road that avoids the city centre.

Also very few cyclists for a congested city. A situation which is ideal for cycling. Be interesting to see the average commuting distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

beauf wrote:
    Was in Waterford recently couldn't believe the traffic. Most of which seemed to be passing through. Is there no orbital route or ring road that avoids the city centre.

It's tolled!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I couldn't tell you about the quay because I just don't drive on it... Ever.

I cross the bridge, go up by Bow field, Tycor and shop in lisduggan. Other wise it's Buttlerstown or Ardkeen. I use the outer ring today much more now.

The Kenneallys bus that I always used to use, is defunct, I waited 50 mins for one 2 weeks ago.

Maybe that's what the planners wanted?

The last time I remember traveling towards the quay from Parnell St, was 6.30 one Sunday, it was gridlock, honestly! The traffic didn't move through 2 lights sequences at the reg. I thought there was an accident.

I did a U-turn as soon as I could and drive up by new gate Street.

My partner stayed on the quay, there was no ,accident just heavy volumes, I was home ages before him.

Also i deal with tourists weekly and on their Sat navs, sally park and the quay and Lombard St is always coloured red, identifying it as an area they will get delayed on, tourists usually want to 'do' Waterford in a morning, they will avoid traffic at all costs and ask about using the toll. I always advise driving down the quay and parking in bolten St. And visiting all the attractions in the Viking triangle.

Tourists often comment on how the quay in Waterford of just like new Ross!

Recently, I was at a talk on tourism where one person saw tourists on bikes increasing by 60 on the next 10 years. This is where the planets are looking.

We have to wait and see.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It's tolled!

I think that attitude is spending €5 to avoid spending €2.

What they need is a congestion toll inside of town.

• Advertisement

I think people won't change their habits unless driving and driving a certain route use made almost impossible vs the alternatives.

Obviously how things are done in Dublin aren't going to be practical in a rural setting. You'd have to look at what's worked in other similar locations around the world.

Advertisement