Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i really like the emergency vehicles lane idea amongst other ideas you ve mentioned

and make the damn bridge free!

truly disgraceful decision.

please dont ever become a politician or a person that makes decisions that directly affects emergency personnel and their vehicles. this is a very serious matter and should be dealt with accordingly.

Ambulances and Fire tenders negotiate urban environments all of the time. Drivers are trained to do so. This idea that a city centre street should be designed to accommodate speeding vehicles is ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

mire wrote: »
    Ambulances and Fire tenders negotiate urban environments all of the time. Drivers are trained to do so. This idea that a city centre street should be designed to accommodate speeding vehicles is ludicrous.

In all fairness it is a bad situation for the emergency services when they are on the quay as any period when the quays are busy. Iv seen it first hand a couple of times and it doesn't look good when they are stuck behind some one who cant move over. The quays look great since the works were finished but this was a big oversight by somebody. The other day I seen a couple of cars having to mount the central medium as a bus had parked up outside the Granville hotel, nobody could get passed unless the drove up on to the Kerbing. That's going to be another issue unless the cops make it clear to the hotels there that parking up like that is a big no no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

obezyana wrote: »
    . That's going to be another issue unless the cops make it clear to the hotels there that parking up like that is a big no no.

They didn't all the years where buses and cars double parked on the Quay

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There is an easy solution to all this, do what the Americans do.

If a car won't get out of the way then you push them out of the way and bill them for damages,

At the end of the day the video clearly shows drivers that should have moved, if you panic when an emergency services is trying to pass you then you have no place driving to begin with.

Saying a separate lane should exist is silly, emergency services can use bus lanes already (if idiots don't Park in them) and outside of that people need to learn to move out of the way, it's very simple.

katydid wrote: »
    They didn't all the years where buses and cars double parked on the Quay

I know yeah but it was a bit different then as there was two lanes and no central medium.

• Advertisement

I know yeah but it was a bit different then as there was two lanes and no central medium.

Yes, but IF they had done that, there would be no need for getting rid of lanes and putting in a median. There would have been free flow along the two lanes on either side - all it needed was the traffic corps to get their finger out.

Cabaal wrote: »
    There is an easy solution to all this, do what the Americans do.

If a car won't get out of the way then you push them out of the way and bill them for damages,

At the end of the day the video clearly shows drivers that should have moved, if you panic when an emergency services is trying to pass you then you have no place driving to begin with.

Saying a separate lane should exist is silly, emergency services can use bus lanes already (if idiots don't Park in them) and outside of that people need to learn to move out of the way, it's very simple.

My god, are you seriously suggesting that the emergency services start ramming into people now? That has to be the most idiotic thing iv seen on Boards to date. Well I'm sure some folks will make a career out of getting whiplash from all the crashes by the ES down on the quay. They will be flush with cash and broken necks.:rolleyes:

Yes, but IF they had done that, there would be no need for getting rid of lanes and putting in a median. There would have been free flow along the two lanes on either side - all it needed was the traffic corps to get their finger out.

Yes maybe that was the case but as it is now its harder at peak times for the ES to travel along the quay and if buses are going to be allowed park up there and cause problems then there is zero hope for the ES.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Cabaal wrote: »

Christ, what a wonderful idea. :rolleyes:

Bill the motorist. Not the Council who caused it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

O Riain wrote: »
    You didn't post a video but I'm assuming your showing the one with the two ambulances that is doing the rounds.

Three observations on this -
    1. The ambulances are held up in traffic for 15 seconds in a city centre, play it back and count - 15 seconds.
    2. The only reason the ambulances were held up at all was because one driver didn't drive up on the curb, if the driver had of done what the other drivers did then the ambulance would not have been held up.
    3. If the quay is soooooo bad why don't the ambulances take the bypass? Or go up bridge street? Or Thomas Street? (Probably cause its not that bad)

1. We saw it held up in the video for 15 secs. There were more than likely other delays.

2. It is not practical to pull up on that median in parts, especially in a smaller car.

3. The emergency services themselves have said that the Quay is the desirable route - especially when someone's life is at risk. When a life is at risk every second counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

7upfree wrote: »
    1. We saw it held up in the video for 15 secs. There were more than likely other delays.

2. It is not practical to pull up on that median in parts, especially in a smaller car.

3. The emergency services themselves have said that the Quay is the desirable route - especially when someone's life is at risk. When a life is at risk every second counts.

Far more people were killed in Waterford because there was a dual carriage way through the center, than have or will die because of a 15 second delay.

Far more delay on the beginning of the Dunmore road because cars cannot pull over. there are bollards to stop this.

Far more people were killed in Waterford because there was a dual carriage way through the center, than have or will die because of a 15 second delay.

Far more delay on the beginning of the Dunmore road because cars cannot pull over. there are bollards to stop this.

How many people were killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The patients in the ambulance have lovely trees to look at now, rather than ugly double parked buses, is there no pleasing ye?

This thread is now obsolete as the work is done and will not be changed for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I feel the ES pain, why they had to make the medium soo wide on one half of the quay while the other end is very narrow but does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I feel the ES pain, why they had to make the medium soo wide on one half of the quay while the other end is very narrow but does the job.

Jesus Christ people it's a median not medium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

tonc76 wrote: »

No need to be so pedantic.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    No need to be so pedantic.

I think he's accurate rather than pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

How many people were killed?

At least 3 in the past 10 years, plus numerous injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

At least 3 in the past 10 years, plus numerous injured.

And you have the figures for the amount of people who died en route to WRH/UHW, specifically using the Quay?

And you have the figures for the amount of people who died en route to WRH/UHW, specifically using the Quay?

Yes approximately 0, as a btw worldwide between 5 and 10 % of deaths in hospitals are caused by wrongly administered drugs! Maybe you should worry about the big things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

In any case, the idea that the city centre quays should have either a dual carriageway or even a dedicated lane for emergency vehicles is a little silly tbh. Look, the traffic calming measures on the quay were badly needed, and long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've stayed away from posting in this thread, as it is a very frustrating thread to read that just keeps going round in circles.

The only reason I am posting is after a trip I took on Sunday when I drove onto the Mall. It was just after 3pm, not rush hour. I was stopped between the steps up to Bishop's Palace, and the Theatre Royal. The lights went green, and the traffic moved forward two car spaces. 3 light changes later, and I still hadn't made it to the Munster bar!! Traffic was back to the lights, and constantly filled by traffic from William Street.

Out of pure frustration, when the lights went green for the fifth time, I changed lanes to go down William street, around by Bolton street and up by Katy Barry's. Ended up going back to John Street, New Street, and up by Ballybricken to get to the bridge. I could see on my detour that traffic was at a standstill back as far as Rapid Express on Parnell street.

Granted, the quay looks lovely now, much more pleasing on the eye than before, but what good is having it look pretty if you can't drive onto the bloody thing!!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I've stayed away from posting in this thread, as it is a very frustrating thread to read that just keeps going round in circles.

The only reason I am posting is after a trip I took on Sunday when I drove onto the Mall. It was just after 3pm, not rush hour. I was stopped between the steps up to Bishop's Palace, and the Theatre Royal. The lights went green, and the traffic moved forward two car spaces. 3 light changes later, and I still hadn't made it to the Munster bar!! Traffic was back to the lights, and constantly filled by traffic from William Street.

Out of pure frustration, when the lights went green for the fifth time, I changed lanes to go down William street, around by Bolton street and up by Katy Barry's. Ended up going back to John Street, New Street, and up by Ballybricken to get to the bridge. I could see on my detour that traffic was at a standstill back as far as Rapid Express on Parnell street.

Granted, the quay looks lovely now, much more pleasing on the eye than before, but what good is having it look pretty if you can't drive onto the bloody thing!!? :mad:

Go back to cycling and you'll be grand ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

@cardboardwindow

Agreed. I've never seen so much traffic around Stephen St , Castle Street and the Mayors walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

it was always busy on mall and quays.
    if you think your example is bad, try drving in KK, Dublin, Galway.
    avoid mall and quays if you are driving through, bridge street easier.
    last thing, if you drive through a city centre, you should be expecting traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    @cardboardwindow

Agreed. I've never seen so much traffic around Stephen St , Castle Street and the Mayors walk.

Ditto for those coming from the Dunmore Road side.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Max Powers wrote: »
    it was always busy on mall and quays.
    if you think your example is bad, try drving in KK, Dublin, Galway.
    avoid mall and quays if you are driving through, bridge street easier.
    last thing, if you drive through a city centre, you should be expecting traffic.
    I don't think that's the answer either - the delays seem to me to be approaching gridlock at times with very little traffic getting through at all on green at some sets of lights at certain busy times . Some of the delays, particularly from Lombard Street direction are really severe. I wonder whether the new one way system that's planned could be the answer to our problems?

Another issue is the pedestrian lights on Parnell Street and The Quay. They give pedestrians too much time! I reckon the average able-bodied pedestrian could comfortably cross Parnell Street three times in the time allotted. A better approach would be a shorter green time, with a flashing amber sign also to allow extra time for slower pedestrians. I know that some people will say, who cares, it only holds you up an extra 10 or 15 seconds, can't you be more patient? However, what is happening is that holdups at the pedestrian lights at the bandstand thingy on the Quay are leading to tailbacks all the way back to the Parnell Street/Lombard Street/Tower Hotel lights, thus stopping traffic at these lights clearing the junction. A holdup at one point is causing further holdups further back. This problem also occurs to some extent with the lights at UHW.

I fully accept that we have to get used to some delays. The fact is that Waterford, like most other towns and cities, simply wasn't built for the car. However, even a few tweaks here and there could improve traffic flow.

tonc76 wrote: »

I must apologise I started to type it in my phone and the predictive text took over. I didn't even realise it until I seen your correction. :o

I must apologise I started to type it in my phone and the predictive text took over. I didn't even realise it until I seen your correction. :o

I know how you feel I meant to say to the wife this morning "pass the sugar honey", but "you twisted bitch you ruined my life" came out!

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I know how you feel I meant to say to the wife this morning "pass the sugar honey", but "you twisted bitch you ruined my life came out"

Did you blame the phone or the Tourettes :D either way them women would beat ya for that kind of carry on......:D I hope you got the sugar in the end.

Advertisement