Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Big drops of rain in Kildare now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cooler air reaching here now, was 22C at 7pm, now 17C, a fairly big drop in less than 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Unreal day in cork city. Cloud coming in now but was sitting out all day. Was a dead, heavy, humid heat but really lovely and very strong at times. Loved it. Clouding over now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    cooler air reaching here now, was 22C at 7pm, now 17C, a fairly big drop in less than 2 hours.

Still 20c in Arklow at 930pm
    Wnw wind gusting to 30kmh and 20c at this hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fairly pissing down in D5 now, good for the earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

19.5c and the first drops of rain have just arrived!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just started raining here. Had to run out + bring in all garden cushions! Is thunder expected tonight? Surely it's perfect thunder weather with big drop in temperatures?

What a bank holiday weekend. After an outstanding day at beach yesterday we got to repeat it again today. It's very rare that you have a day at coast in Dublin when it is roasting at 10am in morning but that was us today!

It really was unbelievable. By time we were home in afternoon it was clouding over but still roasting. It's amazing when we get good weather during a Bank Holiday when everyone can enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Today max

Phoenix Park 26 degrees
    Oak Park 25.9
    Mount Dillon 25.8
    Casement 25.4
    Grange 25
    Dublin Airport 25
    Mullingar 24.8

Raining now in cork city! Back to normality

It's like waking up in a different country, I don't feel like going jogging this morning for the first time in weeks.
    I really hope nice weather comes back eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Never thought I would say it but that is a lovely cool breeze this morning in Dublin 5. Still no rain though, hope the garden gets some rain today

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No rain (so far) in Dublin 16. Looked at 12 hour radar loop and rain band parted as it passed over last night.

looks like it could be a nice evening in Dublin, 16c and sunny, that'll do!

A dull, breezy and cold morning in Kildare. It’s already depressing.

Lashing + I mean lashing here in North County Dublin!

Isnt Ireland mad when you think about it weather wise?

We go from hottest day of year to lashing rain, wind and huge drop in temperatures. The joy of being a small island on edge of Atlantic.

I dont know where Met Eireann is going with forecast of sun later by looking out my window right know. I don't mind though I think my little boy is delighted to have an excuse to watch tv + not go anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A good dump of rain here in Cabinteely just now too. It'll probably not make a dent in the overall water deficit, but hopefully it gives the grass and greenery a bit of a reprieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Some light spits of rain yesterday evening in Donegal but never amounted to much. Back to that horrible cold northerly wind again today though. Leaves were all damaged in the strong wind we had a couple weeks back so this isn't going to help them recover :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Nice morning in Galway and feeling much fresher. Cloud about 5/6 octas so more shadow than sun, which is a bit of a shock to the senses I have to admit. Nothing more than a pointless light shower here yesterday evening that amounted to sweet f.a.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Nice bit of rain here in South Wicklow this morning and some overnight too. The plants are very happy with it. Still not overly cold or anything though, if the rain stopped it would be pleasant enough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just 0.2mm here in Dublin 16 this morning.

• Advertisement

Bright and breezy in Castlebar. Not bad day at all. Much fresher though @ 14 degrees

Dry this morning in cork city. Drop in temperatures to about 15 degrees and there are some strong gusts of wind about. Overcast aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

There's definitely a trend toward unsettled and increasing signs of partial drought relief for the east coast most particularly in the 7-10 day period. However it is still too far out to be pinning hopes on for those who wish to see some drought relief that is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There's definitely a trend toward unsettled and increasing signs of partial drought relief for the east coast most particularly in the 7-10 day period. However it is still too far out to be pinning hopes on for those who wish to see some drought relief that is

mid June is beginning to look very unsettled indeed, it will also be a good deal warmer than it is now, but if we get heavy showers or bands of rain it would still feel fairly cool, even with warm uppers. Overall June is looking like it will have at least average rainfall, maybe slight above if the wet ensembles verify. The UK is trending very unsettled as well, even the south-east of England looks set to see plenty of rain mid June.

Met eireann website outlook going with very dry weather from this Sunday onwards
    Gonzo wrote: »
    mid June is beginning to look very unsettled indeed, it will also be a good deal warmer than it is now, but if we get heavy showers or bands of rain it would still feel fairly cool, even with warm uppers. Overall June is looking like it will have at least average rainfall, maybe slight above if the wet ensembles verify. The UK is trending very unsettled as well, even the south-east of England looks set to see plenty of rain mid June.

Sod all rain in Dublin 5 so far today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sod all rain in Dublin 5 so far today

A little bit of mist this morning in Dublin 8 but sun is out now and breezy so I'd say the little rain we got was of no use to the grass and plants etc...

appledrop wrote: »

We go from hottest day of year to lashing rain, wind and huge drop in temperatures. The joy of being a small island on edge of Atlantic.

I dont know where Met Eireann is going with forecast of sun later by looking out my window right know. I don't mind though I think my little boy is delighted to have an excuse to watch tv + not go anywhere!

I was staying in a small town in Western Australia in 2017 when it dropped from 42 degrees to a daytime high of 18 in a 24 hour period. It was a remarkable change in temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

appledrop wrote: »

i think Irish people have this idea that our weather is remarkably changeable. A lot of countries see more extreme and rapid changes regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking good for the weekend.. if it were December. :cool:

8bhntl8.gif

Might be a good idea for any gardeners to place pots with delicate flowers etc out of harms way this weekend, as that N/NW wind looks like it could be very blustery at times.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Looking good for the weekend.. if it were December. :cool:

Might be a good idea for any gardeners to place pots with delicate flowers etc out of harms way this weekend, as that N/NW wind looks like it could be very blustery at times.

Definitely a weekend to be staying indoors, won't feel the least bit summery at all. Hopefully an improving situation from Monday.

Temperatures may struggle to reach double digits on Saturday. These could easily be mistaken for December temperatures.

75-580UK.GIF?03-12

It might be slightly milder on Sunday but still fairly chilly.

96-580UK.GIF?03-12

Weekend looks fairly wet too for Donegal and Northern Ireland, maybe 10 to 15mm. looks much lighter further south.

102-777UK.GIF?03-12

That wind on Saturday morning will make it feel bitter.
    69-289UK.GIF?03-12

Feeling more like 3 or 4C on Saturday between the cold temperatures and the fairly strong winds combined with showery rain.

69-290UK.GIF?03-12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nothing too bad about the weather today in Limerick. A balmy 19 degrees and hot in sunshine. Breeze got heavey for a a while. 14 degrees here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A cool fresh 10c in Central Mayo currently but thankfully we had another evening sky that delivered the goods for a short but fairly spectacular finale.

Todays max

Shannon 19.1 degrees
    Sherkin 18.7
    Mount Dillon 18
    Roaches Point 17.9

Found it quite nippy in the park this morning, doesn't feel like summer at all. I hope this isn't a repeat of last June!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

Major cooldown now and rain too for North and West on most of the next 10 days.

Dont think we will need to worry about shortage of water by the end of June in the West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Nice to get a break from the heat as long as it comes back...26-27 degrees is nice to have if your at the beach...but our usual 22 degrees is better though if your are not...best to get a break from it now will be more enjoyable if it comes back...I think if you have that kind of weather all the time you dont appreciate it as much

Cold dull morning in Kildare. Bring back the heat!

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Nice to get a break from the heat as long as it comes back...26-27 degrees is nice to have if your at the beach...but our usual 22 degrees is better though if your are not...best to get a break from it now will be more enjoyable if it comes back...I think if you have that kind of weather all the time you dont appreciate it as much

I’m a fan of heat and sun but I agree , unless you’re on holidays it’s quite hard.
    I turned down hiking on Monday as it was too hot ! These cooler temperatures are nice for a few days , I feel more energized , but 20-23 degrees with a breeze is nicest !

Not asking for much :D

We only got to high of 14 yesterday + we will be lucky to even see that today.

The only positive about today is no rain so far.

I'm so glad I got to the beach for the few days.

Please bring back the heat!!!!!

• Advertisement

Bring back the calm weather. I was really enjoying cycling without gusts and headwinds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theres been wind in Sligo even in the dry weather. Very windy some of the days.

Now lashing though but at least its dry here ( and most of the West) on Met Eireanns useless rainfall radar

dull, damp and cold morning here in Meath, think i'll be spending till Monday indoors. At this stage i'd take 1 day of rain and a low pressure from the Atlantic just to clear all this muck away and be done with it, to get back to warm and settled conditions sooner rather than later. Today feels like one of the many days we had last June, however last June was far worse, as we had endless days of cold rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

We don’t take “breaks “ from the heat and sunny weather
    We get breaks from the months of rain
    And when we do people start wishing it away
    “Oh it’s TOO hot “

Hope ye enjoyed our summer :(

km79 wrote: »
    “Oh it’s TOO hot “

The next 4 days are going to be poor, but things look a bit better for next week. We will have -3C uppers over the country this weekend which is about 6C below normal.

Next week is looking mostly dry and certainly milder with a bit more in the way of sunshine. The west and north-west may have showers or drizzle at times and showers may be along the east coast next Wednesday or Thursday. Temperatures will start off low on Monday but by the end of week we will have +4 to +7 uppers back over the country which may get temperatures close to 20C at times. There is the possibility of another unsettled weekend next weekend but it shouldn't be as cold as this weekend. A bit of a mixed first half of June, however there will be some nice days over the next week, it is not all bad.

“Oh it’s TOO hot “

I don't agree but maybe that's because I live 4km from the beaches of the East coast. There is almost a microclimate here, a strip of blue sky that stays close to the coast even though I can see cloud a few KM further inland. It means a lot more sunshine. The amount of people who said last Summer was bad but it was lovely where I live and plenty of sun.

No matter what, I don't think Summer is over when there are a few cloudy, cool, wet days. When the sun comes out at all at this time of the year its warm. You just need a nice sheltered spot ,which I have in the garden away from Easterly coastal breezes! I think there will be lots of opportunity for sunshine between now - 4th June - and the middle of September - you just gotta take it when you get it!

Had to turn the lights on :(

But at least it’s not too hot
    In
    June

I did! Made the most of it and have had numerous days in the garden since this lovely spell started back in March. The last couple of weeks of even warmer stuff were great too.

Hope you made the most of the last few months, even under lockdown!

MJohnston wrote: »
    I did! Made the most of it and have had numerous days in the garden since this lovely spell started back in March. The last couple of weeks of even warmer stuff were great too.

Hope you made the most of the last few months, even under lockdown!

We were absolutely blessed with the weather to be quite honest. Imagine if it had been like this the while time......or worse if it happened over the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

I understand people looking for the nice settled weather back but it is of grave concern of farmers and horticulturist to have rain back for a while. There is a serious drought taking hold that has the potential to be worse than 2018. I know it doesn’t bother a lot of ye But imagine your yearly income been determined by the weather and waking up every morning to look across at crops failing or animals hungry due to want to a bit rain. It a serious situation out there and I would like to highlight that to ye.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement