Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Watching the draft coverage and a while ago they had shefty on and he was saying that the fifth year option on Trubisky isn't a given and they've got until the start of may to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Watching the draft coverage and a while ago they had shefty on and he was saying that the fifth year option on Trubisky isn't a given and they've got until the start of may to do it.

Been pretty much guaranteed for quite a while that they won't pick up that option. Zero reason to do it given his play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So what player are you most excited to see this season? For me it's Akiem Hicks, I think once he went down last year a lot of our defensive threat was gone and Mack became way less effective when opponents didn't have to double Hicks. A fully healthy Hicks mages everything in the defense tick.

So who else? Robert Quinn could bring a new dimension to the front seven as well, the new TE Kmet? Maybe foles (hell maybe trubisky!) will change things on offense?

Of course the main thing will be that we get to see them at all! For me personally, I got the good news a few months ago that I'm moving to Chicago for work, so I'm really hoping to get to go and see one or two games in the flesh, although with the distancing rules that may well have to wait until 2021. Still, it will be nice to be in a place where people are actually interested in the Bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Adam Shaheen gone to the Dolphins for feck all. What a disaster of a pick that was.

Adam Shaheen gone to the Dolphins for feck all. What a disaster of a pick that was.

I actually think a conditional sixth was more than most would have expected. He's done.

One in a long line of examples of bears general managers trying to be clever instead of sensible. Makes you think that looking clever is something the organisation itself values in candidates for that job.

• Advertisement

Both QBs are sh*te. Meanwhile Cam Newton is doing what you'd expect a veteran of starting quality to do: Easily winning a QB competition.

Pace should be gone if one of these two don't step it up. For all the good he has done, missing on the giraffe, Trubisky and then Foles overshadows it.

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status/1298317597176410112

Oat23 wrote: »
    Both QBs are sh*te. Meanwhile Cam Newton is doing what you'd expect a veteran of starting quality to do: Easily winning a QB competition.

Pace should be gone if one of these two don't step it up. For all the good he has done, missing on the giraffe, Trubisky and then Foles overshadows it.

https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status/1298317597176410112

The old adage, if you have two QBs in a competition, you have no QBs. Oh well. Blowing it up again next year I suppose. Shame if we have ended up wasting a really great defense all for one playoff game in 2018.

Reports now of a potentially serious injury to one of our RBs. F*ck sake.

Nothing confirmed yet but a reporter who mainly covers the White Sox is saying it's Montgomery and his knee he injured.

Reporters are being cryptic. I don't know why so many do this now. Just say what you know.

Edit: Nagy saying it's a groin strain but they don't know how serious yet. At least it's not his knee like multiple journalists were suggesting.

Reports now of a potentially serious injury to one of our RBs. F*ck sake.

Nothing confirmed yet but a reporter who mainly covers the White Sox is saying it's Montgomery and his knee he injured.

Reporters are being cryptic. I don't know why so many do this now. Just say what you know.

Edit: Nagy saying it's a groin strain but they don't know how serious yet. At least it's not his knee like multiple journalists were suggesting.

did somebody say, "RYAN NALL"?

Dear God, Urlacher, I knew you were an idiot, but Jesus...

• Advertisement

Dear God, Urlacher, I knew you were an idiot, but Jesus...

The internet has made it much harder to live by the old adage "Never meet your heroes".

Ditka is the same for an older generation of fans.

Mitch is our QB, and we'll go from there.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1302026779503276032

Mitch is our QB, and we'll go from there.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1302026779503276032

Consider me whelmed.

To be fair though you kind of have to be rooting for trubs in that battle because the alternative is accepting that we blew the pick so catastrophically that it set us back five years.

That's probably true. But I don't want to accept it. You never know. He might do the business. Won't take long to find out.

I'm much happier to see Trubisky starting than Foles. However he needs to be used as a runner as much as possible.

The Foles trade looks even worse now. A fourth round comp pick isn't much but the contract we gave him is insane. 21m guaranteed and a potential opt out for Foles if he does come in and does well.

Onwards to week 1 in Detroit! I don't have much expectations this year but the first two games against the Lions and Giants are must wins.

Putting my cynical cap on and thinking in terms of how Pace and Nagy hold onto their jobs, trubisky is the only choice that makes sense. If they start him and he's bad they have the plan b that they brought in. If they start plan b day one, they've already said plan a failed, so if Foles were to struggle in the opening weeks, then they have nowhere to go. This buys them more time.

Either way it's playoffs or the FAS office for Pace this year.

Been excited all off-season to see Quinn, Hicks and Mack on the line together but it'll have to wait another week at least. Quinn is out.

Kenny Golladay out for the Lions is a big loss as is Vaitai. I'll take that trade off!

https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1305166927048962048

Going for it on 4th and 7 in the first quarter at that distance tells us they have no faith in Santos. So that's nice to know.

Mitch cannot start next week. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Unbelievable, Mitch may have just bought himself another week

Unbelievable, Mitch may have just bought himself another week

He probably has, but I seen enough in the first 3 quarters to know he's still the same QB with the same shortcomings.

• Advertisement

Mitch needs to play two minute offense at all times.

Mitch needs to play two minute offense at all times.

Two minute offense against a D playing their backup corners who have a history of sh*tting the bed.

This game reminds me of the Broncos one last season. We robbed that win like we did tonight. It only temporarily papered over the cracks.

edit: Alex Brown on the postgame show suggests that Foles plays the first 3 quarters and then Mitch plays the 4th :pac:

I can't see us doing anything this year. The division and schedule is too difficult for such a flawed team. However we host the Giants next week so you'd like to think the Bears will be 2-0.

Wins like today are fun but we might regret them next April.

I still don't expect A Rob to leave but it's another mark against Ryan Pace that he's let it get to this point. We have enough sh*t to deal with without having to deal with a contract controversy right now.

The tweet headline is a little misleading. He didn't ask FOR a trade. He asked ABOUT a possible trade, should the Bears not pay him I assume. Bridges probably haven't been burned, yet.

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/1305960781050187778

Pace and Nagy are fighting for their job. I would be shocked if they traded Robinson.

After gutting the wide receiver position Robinson became a lone bright spot there. It would be entirely in keeping with paces habit of creating problems at positions of strength and then scrambling to solve the problem he's created.

Serious question: what happened to our o line? It's like they turned from the worst run blockers in the league to it being their specialty. This drive is a master class.

Serious question: what happened to our o line? It's like they turned from the worst run blockers in the league to it being their specialty. This drive is a master class.

They talked all off season about how Juan Castillo would get them playing at a higher level. I thought they were just saying that in hope because their hands were tied and they couldn't do much in terms of improving the o-line personnel, but so far Castillo has done a good job with them.

I've seen enough of cairos santos. Guaranteed he costs us a game. Quite possibly this one. No idea why they have him in the team when there's better kickers in the dole queue.

• Advertisement

3-0 and Indy at home next week. How many of our nine lives do we have remaining?!

Advertisement