Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Started the queens gambit tonight... 2 episodes in....it’s caught my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Started the queens gambit tonight... 2 episodes in....it’s caught my attention.

Actually came here to get peoples thoughts on it, haven't heard a bad review of it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Actually came here to get peoples thoughts on it, haven't heard a bad review of it yet!

Very good . Worth the watch. Main actress is very good and the child actress is excellent Good supporting cast. A 7/10 show maybe an 8

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched the first episode of La Révolution. It seems to be a historic drama about the French revolution, but with zombies.... I think. Interesting enough first episode, will definitely watch the rest of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I watched the first episode of La Révolution. It seems to be a historic drama about the French revolution, but with zombies.... I think. Interesting enough first episode, will definitely watch the rest of it.

I'm imagining people that have just been guillotined turning into headless zombies!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Started watching it too. Has potential.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Started watching it too. Has potential.

I loved the opening visual of the bloody horse trotting across the snow in front of the house. It looks like it won't be lacking in gore anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

After watching Calm with Horses. Why are Irish films all dark and miserable? Can’t we have funny anymore?

Have you watched Extra Ordinary? It's also on Netflix, not watched yet myself but looks like good fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes. Extra Ordinary was like Ghostbusters mixed with Father Ted and was as lots of fun as that premise suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

I see a new season of Somebody feed Phil is up. If you’re ever stuck for something light and easy going it’s a good watch. Bit of a Bourdain-lite show. I like Phil but I do think he’s a bit of a marmite character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

When Calls the Heart season 6
    Leaving behind her upper-crust city roots, a woman journeys west in the early 1900s to become a teacher in a small Canadian mining community

Afronta! Facing It! Season 1
    This docuseries spotlights Afro-Brazilian thinkers sharing their individual journeys and discussing representation, entrepreneurship and community

Added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Started Subarra: blood on Rome just there this morning. Halfway through 2nd episode but very good so far with lot of crime and corruption between hardened criminals politicians vatican and prostitutes. Set up for lit of interesting storylines. Reminded me of love/hate in ways with it's gruesomeness and ruthlessness of the hardened criminals in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Has anyone watched okja? It's one of Bong Joon Hos.

There was a lot of discussing about Korean shows and films a while back. Is there anything you'd recommend? Something like Annihilation or Arrival would be ideal.

Watched two films on Netflix recently, Freaks which after a slow start I really enjoyed and Sinister, Ethan Hawke at his worst in an awful paint by numbers horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The current selection of Korean movies on Netflix isn’t great, tbh.

Okja is a lot of fun - quite a bit messier than Bong’s other movies and not as satisfying as Parasite or the likes. But it’s still full of ideas, smart filmmaking and cool moments.

The Handmaiden is excellent all-around. Park Chan-wook’s best film since Oldboy, and an extremely smart mix of thriller and romance.

For the night that’s in it. #Alive is a decent watch if you’re in the mood for a zombie movie. Nothing spectacular, I hasten to add, but it’s good fun.

Zombie show Kingdom is fantastic, however. One of Netflix’s best original productions - escalates the scale and stakes to remarkable effect. Hits a bit of a lull mid-way through season two IMO but really rallies for a spectacular finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

mjp wrote: »
    Started Subarra: blood on Rome just there this morning. Halfway through 2nd episode but very good so far with lot of crime and corruption between hardened criminals politicians vatican and prostitutes. Set up for lit of interesting storylines. Reminded me of love/hate in ways with it's gruesomeness and ruthlessness of the hardened criminals in parts.

have you watched the movie ? the series is a prequel to the movie,movie came first though,based on true events..apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

have you watched the movie ? the series is a prequel to the movie,movie came first though,based on true events..apparently
    I watched the film and both series, and didn't even realise that the series was supposed to be a prequel to the film. :o

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes. Extra Ordinary was like Ghostbusters mixed with Father Ted and was as lots of fun as that premise suggests

Just watched this, perfect Halloween night viewing if you're not in the mood for a straight up horror. It was actually much better than I expected, laugh out loud funny in a few places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have you watched Extra Ordinary? It's also on Netflix, not watched yet myself but looks like good fun.

Don’t waste your time. Absolute bollox!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really enjoyed His House, a pretty striking horror from a debut director. Tells of two refugees who arrive in the UK, and are given their own home. But suffice to say it’s a wee bit on haunted side. Naturally, this is as much about the various traumas they’ve experienced on their path to a new life. A good solid horror movie with some meat on its bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Extra Ordinary is brilliant, loved it. Intermission is probably my favorite Irish movie, this felt like a horror take with very similar Irish humor.

Homelander wrote: »
    Extra Ordinary is brilliant, loved it. Intermission is probably my favorite Irish movie, this felt like a horror take with very similar Irish humor.

Grabbers is another great Irish comedy/horror/creature feature. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere though.

I watched 2 more episodes of this today and there's considerably less revolution/zombies than I'd been expecting from the first episode. I'm not even entirely sure it is zombies we're dealing with. Still enjoying it though, even if I'm not entirely sure what's going on

Dawson’s Creek: Season 1 to 6
    Assassination Nation
    Fatal Deceit
    SO Undercover
    Blended
    Swedish Dicks
    My Christmas Inn
    A Perfect Christmas List
    Christmas Made to Order
    Christmas Wonderland
    Christmas Land
    Christmas Break-In
    Ghosts of War
    Lineage of Lies
    Kindred Spirits
    Police Academy
    Music and Lyrics
    Wheels of Fortune
    Ninja Assassin
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    White Boy Rick
    LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
    National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
    Poisonous Protege
    Modern Family: Season 8
    Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures: Go Team Roberts: Season 2
    The Boss: Anatomy of A Crime
    Human Nature
    Kid-E-Cats: Season 1
    LEGO: City Adventures: Season 1
    LEGO City Spaced Out: Compilation
    LEGO City Where Ravens Crow
    LEGO Jurassic World: Legend of Isla Nublar: Season 1
    LEGO Ninjago: Seasons 1 and 2
    Model Murders
    New York Minute
    Richie Rich
    The Good Detective: Season 1
    The Song of Names
    Transformers Rescue Bots Academy: Season 2
    Voice: Season 2

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I watched the film and both series, and didn't even realise that the series was supposed to be a prequel to the film. :o

It was supposed to be, it's not anymore though, episode 1 of the new season confirmed that. I personally wasn't mad on the first two seasons. As a Gomorrah fan boy I can't help but compare the two, and Gomorrah is clearly the better of the two. Saying all that, I've really enjoyed the first 3 episodes, it's off to a great start.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Thanks so much for the modern family season 8 update. Have literally been going through 1-7 over and over. It is probably the best show I have seen (at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

joeguevara wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the modern family season 8 update. Have literally been going through 1-7 over and over. It is probably the best show I have seen (at the moment)

I’m rewatching it again having watched it all on sky
    I bring you bad news .......it brings to tail off for last few seasons ! Not sure about season 8 but the quality definitely drops for last 2/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

km79 wrote: »
    I’m rewatching it again having watched it all on sky
    I bring you bad news .......it brings to tail off for last few seasons ! Not sure about season 8 but the quality definitely drops for last 2/3

I have watched it all. Have series 8-11 on sky record but is annoying fast forwarding the breaks.

Completely agree that the last few Seasons while great were not in the same league as up to season 6. But it's still fantastic and I think the characters really grew l.

Also Stella the dog cracked me up constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Watched The Girl in the Spider's Web. Claire Foy was excellent but I think the Swedish trilogy is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What dog films do they have on Netflix? I was hoping to watch a dogs purpose but don’t think it’s on Netflix.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    What dog films do they have on Netflix? I was hoping to watch a dogs purpose but don’t think it’s on Netflix.

Don't think that's on there no, K-9 is though if you want a nostalgia buzz.

Disney+ has heaps of dog/animal movies. Togo is great and Call of the Wild was a good bit better than I expected. Few classics like White Fang, Benji the Hunted and Homeward Bound on there too of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Pet Cemetery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pet Cemetery.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Probably mentioned already but just to mentio nI was in the mood for documentaries yesterday, checked out these puppies:
    Operation Odessa - tall tales from the height of the drug smuggling era in Florida.
    Kiss the Soil - Woody Harellson narrates informative and interesting docu on how soil mismanagement is adding CO2 to the atmosphere and damaging the soil long term. It's quite watchable and yawn free.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazylady1

Happy! Is very good. We have watched 5 episodes in last three nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Pet Cemetery.

Superb suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

A Dogs Purpose and A Dogs Journey are on Amazon if that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

PsychoPete wrote: »
    A Dogs Purpose and A Dogs Journey are on Amazon if that helps

Seems to be a far better selection of dog movies on Prime.

Marley and Me is there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Seems to be a far better selection of dog movies on Prime.

Marley and Me is there too.

I think in general Amazon has a better selection for TV shows and movies only that the interface is truly dreadful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

On season 1 episode 5 of The Code.

Excellent fare.

A Dog's Purpose is on Film 4 Saturday (7th) at 2:45pm followed by Hotel For Dogs

Can You Hear Me? (M'entends-tu?) (french canadian) season 2
    Three friends in a low-income neighborhood find humor and hope in their lives as they grapple with bad boyfriends and their dysfunctional families.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I think in general Amazon has a better selection for TV shows and movies only that the interface is truly dreadful

Not from my experience. It felt like the Netflix of years ago when there was a couple of decent movies then a load of B movies. I shut my prime account down early this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭p to the e

Pet Cemetery.

Not being a grammar nazi but what's funny is you spelled "cemetery" correctly but the book and film are called "Pet Sematary" after the incorrectly spelled sign.

They topped the second hill, and then the path sloped through a head-high swatch of bush and tangled underbrush. It narrowed and then, just ahead, Louis saw Ellie and Jud go under an arch made of weatherstained boards. Written on these in faded black paint, only just legible, were the words PET SEMATARY.
    — Stephen King, Pet Sematary, 1983

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

p to the e wrote: »
    Not being a grammar nazi but ..

** ramblings of a grammar nazi go here **
    FYP! :D

Basq wrote: »
    FYP! :D

What's that symbol in your avatar and why do I recognise it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

p to the e wrote: »
    What's that symbol in your avatar and why do I recognise it?
    It's a Dharma Initiative logo from 'Lost'. Apparently, it's to do with the old Hatch station.

ixoy wrote: »
    It's a Dharma Initiative logo from 'Lost'. Apparently, it's to do with the old Hatch station.

Ah yes. I have a mug with a load of items from TV shows and you have to guess the show and that was one I didn't know. The answers were on the bottom.

• Advertisement

Advertisement