Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Well that's the end of liverpool's unbeaten run. Desperate stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

whelan2 wrote: »

As one of the few Watford fans in the country......I was delighted.
    Got to see the second half, was looking to buy 2 tickets for myself and the middle lad (mad Liverpool fan ) but the prices were crazy:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    As one of the few Watford fans in the country......I was delighted.
    Got to see the second half, was looking to buy 2 tickets for myself and the middle lad (mad Liverpool fan ) but the prices were crazy:D

A friend of one of my kids went , a liverpool fan. I'd say he's gutted he's only 9. It was coming for the last couple of games and at least Watford really needed the 3 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First case of Coronavirus confirmed in the east of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

First case of Coronavirus confirmed in the east of the country.
    Feck. Where?
    Edit: I had a look online - https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0229/1119357-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement

Any leap year proposals? My aunt was born on 29th February 1940. She died aged 2. Never getting to celebrate a proper birthday. She would have been 80 today.

Any leap year proposals? My aunt was born on 29th February 1940. She died aged 2. Never getting to celebrate a proper birthday. She would have been 80 today.
    Aww. Do you know what aliment/illness she had.
    My Mam's eldest sister died from TB as a child in the early '20's before Mam was borne. I took her name "Brigid" for my confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »

Hardly surprising, with millions travelling around the world daily.
    .it was only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That's sad.
    An Uncle here died in the mid forties as a toddler from Scarlet fever, apparantly he got a vaccine after unknowingly already having contracted the disease and it exacerbated the condition.
    Tough times, there was probably a child lost in more houses than not.

:D
    https://twitter.com/Billie_T/status/1233831627245195264?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Neighbour here died from measles in the 1940s. We now have a case of German measles in Donegal and I hear there are mumps near Clonakilty.
    The bloody anti vaxers, haven't seen the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

That's sad.
    An Uncle here died in the mid forties as a toddler from Scarlet fever, apparantly he got a vaccine after unknowingly already having contracted the disease and it exacerbated the condition.
    Tough times, there was probably a child lost in more houses than not.

An aunt of mine died as a 5 year old after a feed of gooseberries, acid of them killed her someway, doctor was called but he was drunk, by time he came she was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

One friend out this way who wouldnt have been considered a marrying man at all.
    Re deaths there was 11 in my grandfathers family and most of them died of TB either as children or adults afaik there was only four who went on to live out their lives just thinking of it now theres been only one member of each generation that passed on the family name between war, TB and other reasons.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

There have been considerable numbers of mumps cases in universities this year, higher than normal especially in UCC There are a good number of cases in secondary schools in West Cork. Many of these did get the proper two doses of MMR vaccine. There are questions been asked about whether it is a dodgy batch of vaccine or a new strain of mumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

started giving the lepto vaccine last year
    Going to give booster soon and will include young heifers.
    Have a PB bull due for sale soon, should he be included too?

Just found this, a breakdown of the mortality rates for different age groups
    2xIr77P.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

started giving the lepto vaccine last year
    Going to give booster soon and will include young heifers.
    Have a PB bull due for sale soon, should he be included too?

Yeah. All breeding stock including the bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just found this, a breakdown of the mortality rates for different age groups

The common flu kills more, I'd say.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mooooo wrote: »
    Yeah. All breeding stock including the bulls.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

There have been considerable numbers of mumps cases in universities this year, higher than normal especially in UCC There are a good number of cases in secondary schools in West Cork. Many of these did get the proper two doses of MMR vaccine. There are questions been asked about whether it is a dodgy batch of vaccine or a new strain of mumps.

Be interesting to compare the age range & when they got the vaccine. I got mumps 10yrs ago & i definitely had the vaccine.

Aww. Do you know what aliment/illness she had.
    My Mam's eldest sister died from TB as a child in the early '20's before Mam was borne. I took her name "Brigid" for my confrontation.

It's a sad story. It was during the war. There were no cars on the road. They somehow got her to hospital in Dublin. They thought she had a twisted gut. When they opened her up there was nothing they could do for her and they closed her back up. My dad thinks she had cancer which had spread through her. She died in hospital. My grandad and a neighbour made a little coffin for her and painted it white. The parish priest who had a car brought them to Dublin and they brought her home in the little coffin on the back seat of the car

The common flu kills more, I'd say.

It does but previous exposures to different flu types can give partial immunity and reduce the severity of the flu.

This is a different kettle of fish in that few would have partial immunity to it. And the picture is confused a bit more in that those with known underlying issues like CF are more at risk.

And so far its rate of mutation is fairly low and hasn't increased danger of dying from it but it's early days yet.

Youngest lad here got the swine flu when it was going around. I reckon he picked it up in doctor's waiting room when getting his mmr jab. I thought he was in bad form because of ths injection but he deteriorated . He was only around 18 months and was very very sick.

TBH I'm more concerned about my crew - https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/senior-footballers-defeated-by-tyrone
    Up the Dubs :)

Did you see the footage of the row in the tunnel at half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156331765746712&id=264557191711

Interesting bit of viewing on what is now a very "fragile" area for farming also the local John Deere dealership there is not close to being the biggest in Australia however they have more sales in all the new technologies in relation to controlled traffic compared to any other dealers here.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Covid 19 has a mortality of about 20 times the flu, despite Trump thinking otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm not sure these are 110% facts so I'll call them "things we know " about the virus.

It takes 2 to 3 weeks for symptoms to show.
    During those 2 to 3 weeks a host can spread on the virus.
    It's spread through moisture droplets from breathing, sneezing and coughing.
    It should really be called a pneumonia outbreak because that's basically what it is.
    Survivors of the first bout of the virus can relapse back with serious symptoms later on again. It doesn't seem to leave the body.

Other posters have other aspects of it covered above.

I'm not sure these are 110% facts so I'll call them "things we know " about the virus.

It takes 2 to 3 weeks for symptoms to show.
    During those 2 to 3 weeks a host can spread on the virus.
    It's spread through moisture droplets from breathing, sneezing and coughing.
    It should really be called a pneumonia outbreak because that's basically what it is.
    Survivors of the first bout of the virus can relapse back with serious symptoms later on again. It doesn't seem to leave the body.

Other posters have other aspects of it covered above.

It looks like it may have been circulating in Italy for a while before the initial diagnosis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-may-have-been-in-italy-for-weeks-before-it-was-detected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Water John wrote: »
    Covid 19 has a mortality of about 20 times the flu, despite Trump thinking otherwise.

All Trump said was how the Democrats are politicizing it and here you are proving him correct. Bad look when it's about something as serious as this and the bloody thing is now in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement