Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good grief. I listened to Trump replying to Dr Sangi Gupta CNN, which is where Trump made clear that the Covid 19 was nowhere near as bad as the flu. Dr. Gupta spoke later of his real concern of the lack of understanding of the US administration.
    The Judge here has put up the stats. It's a real threat to older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Any chance we could limit/ban talk of Covid, and non- bovine/ovine coronavirus here for the moment?
    There plenty other threads full of it on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Water John wrote: »
    Good grief. I listened to Trump replying to Dr Sangi Gupta CNN, which is where Trump made clear that the Covid 19 was nowhere near as bad as the flu. Dr. Gupta spoke later of his real concern of the lack of understanding of the US administration.

CNN were mad at the lack of diversity in the task force put together by Trump. What I've seen from Trump is he's taking this seriously and the Democrats are just using it to score points. And you've fell for yet another hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see that the confirmed case of covid 19 is a pupil at Scoil Chaitriona in Glasnevin. The school is going to close for the next two weeks. It has 460 pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Tough couple of weeks and tough weekend here. Nephew born with a lot wrong. Just released from hospital to christen (during the red warming) and now waiting for the call. Have no heart In me to do anything. Sister lost her husband 3 months ago and now my Bro loosing his son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Tough couple of weeks and tough weekend here. Nephew born with a lot wrong. Just released from hospital to christen (during the red warming) and now waiting for the call. Have no heart In me to do anything. Sister lost her husband 3 months ago and now my Bro loosing his son.

Keep the chin up this can be a cruel world at times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Trump himself isn't looking too healthy recently - his face has gone full on Tango!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Stay tough, they need strength right now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Flood is really up on the Lough Oughter/River Erne system...
    Autumn scene

5xMvXpB.jpg

Same bridge today..

JDQTL3i.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Flood is really up on the Lough Oughter/River Erne system...
    Autumn scene

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5xMvXpB.jpg Same bridge today..[/img]JDQTL3i.jpg

Was across the bridge last week, water up at the threads.
    That whole water system is up maybe 5ft, some amount of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Anyone interested in hosting Social Farming? There are three training courses in Cork, Laois and Leitrim.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-training-round-hosted-by-social-farming-ireland/

Anyone interested in North Cork, where it's starting up in the Avondhu/Blackwater area should ring 02246580.

This is a great initiative and may suit you or someone you know to be a host farmer.

Mulled it over & signed up to go anyway, anyone else going/considering it?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Think I read a few weeks back about the deadline for hedgecutting being extended. Did it come to pass does anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Think I read a few weeks back about the deadline for hedgecutting being extended. Did it come to pass does anyone know ?

No, closed now till Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

CHOPS01 wrote: »

With the greens on the cusp of power?? not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Funny you mention hedge cutting. I'm only just home. Roadworks 2km sign and hedge cutting ahead at the junction about 500m from me. The Ditch has got one run but there has been no
    clipping done on the return journey. Id say the council are doing a surfacing job on the road at some stage. Going to get a free clipping this year by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good on you Haywire. I'm not ready for it this year but will consider it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

:D:D:D

Looking for advice
    Cow calved last days of September, bulled last days of November
    Repeated end of Jan & given 2 shots of Receptal
    Repeated again 15th Feb and is Bulling again tonight
    She’s in good condition and calf is healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it ai or bull shes getting?

• Advertisement

Just finished installation of the new agitation point cover.
    dkpJu90.jpg
    It's a tight fit, should have knocked off a few mms at each side but it's in and working now, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Just finished installation of the new agitation point cover.
    dkpJu90.jpg
    It's a tight fit, should have knocked off a few mms at each side but it's in and working now, thankfully.

Where did you get it and was there much work to getting the old one out and new one fitted ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Where did you get it and was there much work to getting the old one out and new one fitted ?

There's an ad on donedeal from Clare making them. Ring in the size you need and they'll deliver.

There was a bit of work in cutting out the anchor points for the old cover alright, mini angle grinder and hammer and tire iron. And a good few fcuks as well is a big help, I supplied a good share of those:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Looking for advice
    Cow calved last days of September, bulled last days of November
    Repeated end of Jan & given 2 shots of Receptal
    Repeated again 15th Feb and is Bulling again tonight
    She’s in good condition and calf is healthy

Has she been scanned at any stage of all this?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it ai or bull shes getting?

AI

tanko wrote: »
    Has she been scanned at any stage of all this?

Haven’t scanned as only her so far & have to get new scanner as last guy gone to Oz

Do you think cyst or incalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Don't know to be honest, doesn't sound like she's in calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We were blooding the cows today I was dealing with the blood bottles and needles and handing them to the vet and putting them in the right place in the box. I put my hand in my pocket to get the needle and holder and the needle -which would normally have a cover on it- went right into the top of my finger. It went in the full length of the needle. Do I need a tetanus injection. How long does a tetanus injection work for? I had my milking glove on. The needle hadn't been used

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    We were blooding the cows today I was dealing with the blood bottles and needles and handing them to the vet and putting them in the right place in the box. I put my hand in my pocket to get the needle and holder and the needle -which would normally have a cover on it- went right into the top of my finger. It went in the full length of the needle. Do I need a tetanus injection. How long does a tetanus injection work for? I had my milking glove on. The needle hadn't been used

Be grand I'd say. Go for a tetanus and you could come out with covid 19. 7 years for a tetanus if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

4 cases in the west now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement