Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I suggest that you go to bed and sleep it off cause your post is offensive.
    Maybe when you wake up in the morning you will be more civil.

Ah jaysus.
    Jaymla posted about the oldies being left at home to meet their fate in the dairy thread.
    Maybe take him up on it too.

And there's the Current Affairs forum to take your fancy too.
    Btw nothing I posted was offensive just factual pragmatic posting based on the demographics of the mortality rate based on age.
    And sure having your will sorted is practical for any day of the year or any impending virus outbreak.

Don't be taking everything to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you know any old age pensioners or vegans politely ask them have they made a will.
    With a bit of luck they might have a few days leeway now before the plague strikes them
    and yourself sick.

Also.. train the dog to milk the cows.
    And don't forget to stock up on the sea salt for your multi vitamin hit.
    The above is not only offensive but disrespectful to our elders.

IMO when the young pups get too big for their shoes then they need a reminder of the ground rules - respect and care for your elders.

IMO when the young pups get too big for their shoes then they need a reminder of the ground rules - respect and care for your elders.

Yawn.

You're a barrel of laughs, this one.

I hope when I get to your age I have a mohawk and a bull ring in my nose.

Yawn.

You're a barrel of laughs, this one.

I hope when I get to your age I have a mohawk and a bull ring in my nose.
    No mention of a tattoo :mad:

TBH I sincerely hope when you get to pension age that you have family members to be with/support you.

• Advertisement

No mention of a tattoo :mad:

TBH I sincerely hope when you get to pension age that you have family members to be with/support you.

Nah. Tats are sooo last decade.

When I get to pension age. It'll probably be 80. It'll be a Swiss job or left out for the crows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod
    Okay folks, I can see how Say My Name's post could easily be taken as offensive. Personally, I took it as 'black humour'. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Say My Name, would you mind your sense of humour please, you're making me rapidly feel like I'm in that demographic you were talking about....

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'd be glad to give him a reminder of the ground rules but with my impending senility, I've ...
    1. Forgotten what they are....
    2. Forgotten what we're talking about...
    3. Forgotten what ground rules are, and..

4. Forgotten what I came onto this thread to do.

Oh!

P.S. Where's the door?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Right note taken. But you do have to please to offend occasionally. It makes it even more fun when offense is taken sometimes. Apologies Base Price. ;)

Young whipper snapper now turning down the black humour. As ye were..

greysides wrote: »
    Mod
    Okay folks, I can see how Say My Name's post could easily be taken as offensive. Personally, I took it as 'black humour'. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Say My Name, would you mind your sense of humour please, you're making me rapidly feel like I'm in that demographic you were talking about....
    So by your inference ^^ it's ok to make slight remarks/joke about older people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Plenty on here make remarks on younger people, the faux outrage is tiresome

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I have learnt to ignore. He's only looking for a reaction. There is an ignore function on boards so you dont have to annoy yourself reading comments by some people.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I have learnt to ignore. He's only looking for a reaction. There is an ignore function on boards so you dont have to annoy yourself reading comments by some people.

Yep.

But then someone quotes their post and you see the stupidity and it all starts over again.

You'd miss Muckit for times like these.

Whatever about myself. He was the dark lord of black humour.
    And I'm seriously not looking for a reaction. But you choose yourself whether what tone if you want to reply.
    We are all responsible for ourselves.

There must be people living very sheltered lives if they haven't learned not to be wound up by now.

Believe it or not there is life beyond boards and google. Whatever floats your boat mightnt sit right with others. There used to be a poster here called lost covey some if your posts remind me of him. I had him on ignore for a very good reason

Believe it or not there is life beyond boards and google. Whatever floats your boat mightnt sit right with others. There used to be a poster here called lost covey some if your posts remind me of him. I had him on ignore for a very good reason

And I'm living it. Cow sh1t in the eye every day. Same as yourself.

And sure I know what hit her. It was the making the comment about old people should ensure they have their wills in place before the coronavirus looks most definitely to be coming here if not already.
    I'll stand by that still. It's common sense.
    It's no different to telling a soldier to have their affairs in order before heading into battle.
    It hit on the thoughts of our own mortality. There's nothing to be feared or getting worked up about. You'll either get it or you won't. But still no harm in being realistic.
    There's none of us getting out of this life alive.

You can block me if you want. I did it myself one time with a poster here too.

My last comment is, we have a basic rule in this house. If you wouldnt say something to someone's face you dont post it online. Very easy to post stuff and walk away. What's written will be read and reread and construed in different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭straight

Plenty on here make remarks on younger people, the faux outrage is tiresome

Ya it's ok to rip the piss out of young people and millennial, snowflakes and the like but god forbid you open your mouth about older people. I've noticed alot of farmers seem to have a very poor sense of humour. From working in a job for years myself you grow to love the banter/craic. If it's not someone ripping the piss out of you, you'd be doing it to them. Some people just take life too seriously I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

straight wrote: »
    Ya it's ok to rip the piss out of young people and millennial, snowflakes and the like but god forbid you open your mouth about older people. I've noticed alot of farmers seem to have a very poor sense of humour. From working in a job for years myself you grow to love the banter/craic. If it's not someone ripping the piss out of you, you'd be doing it to them. Some people just take life too seriously I must say.

its ok not to have a sense of humor.
    If ya can't take it don't give it and thats how i've always been

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No wonder everyone is in a bad mood recently. We're heading for 3 times the average ranfall for February in our area .......and there's 3 days to go.
    Serious flooding everywhere.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Lost Covey had some humdingers of posts in fairness. God forbid you to recommend what medicine to give a sick animal on his watch anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

straight wrote: »

Yeah the thing is,those were colleagues, people you knew in real life,people you looked in the eye before you said anything,people whose facial reactions you knew,people who in most cases you had an idea of what was going on in their lives

None of that applies to the internet
    On the internet people should consider that others using a resource like this forum may have things going on in their lives that we dont know about
    Ergo theres a need to be careful about what's written

I'm in a WhatsApp group with friends I know well,the banter in there is very funny but we all know each other
    Outsiders might not like it
    I would not post on this forum what is posted there

No wonder everyone is in a bad mood recently. We're heading for 3 times the average ranfall for February in our area .......and there's 3 days to go.

Yea.
    Was confident about spring feeding situation up to last week or so. Opened a bale of silage last night and it wasn’t great, had been patched but must have missed some holes from crows, has made me a bit more nervous. Ground is bad and today it’s also covered in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Waterproofs going on every morning to do the jobs will wear you down after a few weeks, especially if you have to go to work after and come home in the dark to do the same again.
    Today is the first nice day in awhile so hopefully will give a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

And first 2 weeks were ok
    Calves are starting to drive me nuts in the yard jumping in and out through feeders, they'll be out as soon as it starts to dry up a bit.

February will be over in a few days, thank fook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Into March of many weathers then

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Fair sick of it here too. It was a lovely bright morning here but the clouds have rolled in again and the rain is falling. It's just miserable.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Into March of many weathers then

I love your optimism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Question to anyone who has/had horses!
    I've a very ancient old lady (32+years) and I've always put a waterproof blanket on her to bring her through the winter. I reckon keeping her outside moving is better than inside getting stiff. Had to buy her a new one last autumn. To my eyes it's exactly the same as the one she's outlived but I cannot keep it on her. Lost count of the number of times we've had to walk fields to find it. And the mad thing is that the buckles/fastenings are not open. She seems to have developed a knack of shimmying out of it. So the question - any ideas now to stop her? She is outside this weather and I'm feeling sorry for her. I've used twine wrapped round buckles to no use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement