Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

MBSnr wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll future proof it with DVB-T2 tuners as I see the trend is to move from DVB-T

DVB-T2 has been mandatory for all newly approved Saorview receivers since 1st January 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Tony wrote: »
    I think Saorview would need Freesats approval to use their 7 days epg regardless of whether it was over the air or via the net. To date Freesat have been very protective of their epg, they took action pretty quickly against sat4free if memory serves.

Pity the terrestrial MOU between Irish/British Governments on TV reception of each others signal didn't include Freesat EPG data?

khumbu wrote: »
    Pity the terrestrial MOU between Irish/British Governments on TV reception of each others signal didn't include Freesat EPG data?

The discussions that led up to the MoU had been going on a year or two before the agreement was signed which were terrestrial focused, at that time Freesat was a UK focused commercial satellite venture between the BBC and ITV.

Maybe Richard Waghorn, a former Freesat board director, joining RTÉ back in 2012 may have sown the seed for this venture with Freesat?

Maybe Freesat looking outside the UK and its alliance with other European FTA satellite platforms back in 2014 leading to the creation of the Metaphor smart TV guide solution for sat, terrestrial and cable, was the catalyst for this venture?

Conor Pope from the Irish Times is following this also so he may publish more info from the possible consumer benefit point of view .

He has that article in the paper today, no extra info from a Saorview Connected point of view - Don’t pay a premium for TV channels you never watch

Small typo in the article, I assume he meant Sky/UPC channels
    “I don’t have the sports or BBC channels, or the movie channels, but I have more than enough.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I spoke with the guy who was being interviewed and apparently the online version has been corrected.

The Cush wrote: »
    He has that article in the paper today, no extra info from a Saorview Connected point of view - Don’t pay a premium for TV channels you never watch

Small typo in the article, I assume he meant Sky/UPC channels

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I will hold out for this new box as I was considering getting the Enigma boxes. hopefully it will be worth the few months extra wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I will hold out for this new box as I was considering getting the Enigma boxes. hopefully it will be worth the few months extra wait.

I'd only wait if your happy spending about €250 on one.

I'd only wait if your happy spending about €250 on one.

Yep I know it will be around that price, which hopefully will justify the spend. The Enigmas/amiko etc. have benefits but its ease of use I am after which I am willing to pay more for rather than having to update images etc. or get the cool epg update.

Saorview confirms there will be a combi box in the new range but no further details

https://twitter.com/SAORVIEW/status/694224003385401346

announcement soon

https://twitter.com/SAORVIEW/status/694223740855533568

Saorview confirms there will be a combi box in the new range but no further details

Logical channel numbering is part of the spec for combo boxes which is a step forward I think.

• Advertisement

Logical channel numbering is part of the spec for combo boxes which is a step forward I think.

Just thinking out loud here and not expecting you to answer because of Saorview's NDA ...

LCNs for the sat channels I assume as the Saorview channels had their own LCNs on the previous approved combis.

So the question is are they Freesat LCNs or a tailored service for Saorview? Will it include UTV/ITV channels?

And of course will it be a combined or separate epg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Will it be Saorsat approved?

My guess is that it will have separate epg like the Walker, possibly three choices, saorview, freesat and other Sat.

Sorry if already asked,
    Will it have a built in hardrive for recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Sorry I cannot comment on that right now as I've agreed non disclosure with saorview.
    Just FYI - check your agreement again because often the non-disclosure agreements prohibit announcing that you have a non-disclosure agreement.

Yours may not, but just a heads-up so you stay out of the doghouse! :D

I'm speculating here as although its in the spec I'm not sure how it will be implemented from a technical standpoint. I'd imagine they will make a table/database for saorview and satellite channels and then build that into the firmware so a tailored service as you suggested would be my view. There's no reason why it could not be a combined EPG if the LCN's are allocated correctly but this will have to be managed on an ongoing basis to take account of new saorview services and satellite transponder changes.

As for EPG I think it would be an own goal if it was not combined but at this point I've no knowledge as to what the plans are on this.

Just thinking out loud here and not expecting you to answer because of Saorview's NDA ...

LCNs for the sat channels I assume as the Saorview channels had their own LCNs on the previous approved combis.

So the question is are they Freesat LCNs or a tailored service for Saorview? Will it include UTV/ITV channels?

And of course will it be a combined or separate epg?

That's a fair point but I'm allowed talk about what has already been released in the press .

Just FYI - check your agreement again because often the non-disclosure agreements prohibit announcing that you have a non-disclosure agreement.

Yours may not, but just a heads-up so you stay out of the doghouse! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I rarely watch anything on satellite anymore, I've a humax fvp4000t with series link on the freeview and freeview HD channels and although none on saorview, you can set anything there to record once from the epg
    The tv has netflix,both it and freeviews on demand services routed through a 100% legal company vpn

The humax has a remote control app making it handy for controlling viewing in any room and a live tv anywhere app
    The tv is a panny also with a live tv anywhere app meaning you can watch rte or Dave or whatever in France or Africa,America or Gorey on your phone or tablet via wifi or data

All this saorview anywhere stuff ergo is to me a bit meh

A lot of us don't live in a Freeview reception area like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I rarely watch anything on satellite anymore, I've a humax fvp4000t with series link on the freeview and freeview HD channels and although none on saorview, you can set anything there to record once from the epg
    The tv has netflix,both it and freeviews on demand services routed through a 100% legal company vpn

The humax has a remote control app making it handy for controlling viewing in any room and a live tv anywhere app
    The tv is a panny also with a live tv anywhere app meaning you can watch rte or Dave or whatever in France or Africa,America or Gorey on your phone or tablet via wifi or data

Add your reply here.
    We also must remember Freeview and Freesat were launched before Saorview and have had more time to advance.

With the population of the 26 counties and with the limited funding and support in comparison to freeview or Freesat, I believe Saorview/RTE are doing well.

We must also take into account the might of the Pay per view providers in this State along with the politics that could effect the Saorview development.

The added feature of having possible online apps available from Saorview will be most welcome.

At the moment freeview and Freesat apps are very restricted along with roll back features on the freesat freetime boxes in the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye, those features are very handy but restricted to the UK
    That box has its freetime functions greyed out if not routed through a UK licence payers completely 100% legal vpn

The remote control app features are very handy,something saorview could be thinking about
    I've attached a photo during the set up of the humax
    A lot of channels, think it found 230 after,obviously preseli wales,but also Arklow, Kippure and mount Leinster saorview
    It only stored Arklow, the strongest Saorview

Edit attachments aren't working today,its a boards issue

From Conor Popes article

"The new features will include a facility to catch up on missed programmes by scrolling back through the electronic programme guide, as well as a remote recording function."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there a possibility that the new combo will software block Freesat programs that Saorview channels don't have first broadcast rights for?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that the new combo will software block Freesat programs that Saorview channels don't have first broadcast rights for?

Possibly not programming as it's already available FTA but they may block channels such as UTV/ITV at the broadcasters request to avoid conflicting with UTVI for example. If this is the case dedicated Freesat receivers will continue to be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm speculating here as although its in the spec I'm not sure how it will be implemented from a technical standpoint. I'd imagine they will make a table/database for saorview and satellite channels and then build that into the firmware so a tailored service as you suggested would be my view. There's no reason why it could not be a combined EPG if the LCN's are allocated correctly but this will have to be managed on an ongoing basis to take account of new saorview services and satellite transponder changes.

As for EPG I think it would be an own goal if it was not combined but at this point I've no knowledge as to what the plans are on this.

I hope you are correct about this and I know it's speculation, but I can't see how Freesat can allow their EPG, even a cut down version of it to be used in a box designed for the ROI. I would assume that TV3 and UTVI would go ballistic if ITV 1,2,3,4, and Channel 5 to name but five were available on the Saorview Connected EPG, as TV3 and UTVI show programmes that are also on those channels and I'm sure there are other Freesat channels whose programmes also show up on ROI channels. I know the Freesat channels are fta, but having them on the EPG with 7 day programming and series link etc is a different kettle of fish. Would Freesat not have to get permission from every single channel to allow its EPG data to appear on an Irish box and then the resultant rights issues etc ? Dont get me wrong, I would love to see the holy grail of a combined Saorview/Freesat EPG , but I can't see it happening. I think the combo box will just have a now/next EPG for satellite, but I'll live the dream until the official announcements from Saorview about the Connected boxes. When do we expect more news from Saorview anyway ?

galtee boy wrote: »
    When do we expect more news from Saorview anyway ?

Announcement soon according to their tweet yesterday

https://twitter.com/SAORVIEW/status/694223740855533568

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

From Conor Popes article

"The new features will include a facility to catch up on missed programmes by scrolling back through the electronic programme guide, as well as a remote recording function."

Well that's is the main purpose of the Freetime software.

I gather that it will be just the RTE channels ? Although Tv3 have a playback service I doubt they would be organised or committed enough to get involved.

I don't think that this alone will be enough for people to part with their money. Smart TV's and Linux combo boxes running Ondemand plugin already have this feature for TV3 and RTE players. Hyperlinking in an epg grid isn't enough to entice me on DVB-T alone.

There has been huge investment in the infrastructure for the small number of channels available and I hate to harp on about this, but without a combo version that some sort of 7 day epg and autoupdate feature, the opportunity of offering a fool proof FTA platform will have been lost.

As I mentioned before Freesat are very protective of their EPG and I'm not aware of any suggestion that they will allow it to be used by any other company.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I know the Freesat channels are fta, but having them on the EPG with 7 day programming and series link etc is a different kettle of fish.

As I mentioned before Freesat are very protective of their EPG and I'm not aware of any suggestion that they will allow it to be used by any other company.

In this case as well as developing the service for saorview Freesat will be actively managing it, if that makes a difference.

So if Freesat manages the software then they can let it be used on a combi-box, but it will not ask you to actually be subscribe to anything. Then I guess all they are providing is software for you to access free to air channels but with a 7 day EPG that are freely available. It would be an interesting development.

Yes active management is essential but its not quite clear yet as to what will be managed. IE the interactive and the EPG or just the interactive part of the service.

In this case as well as developing the service for saorview Freesat will be actively managing it, if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

The saorview connect software will definitely be on the approved combo box but as to what type of EPG they will choose to allow thats another story.

So if Freesat manages the software then they can let it be used on a combi-box,

Advertisement