Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla back to 360$ now, interesting that it was much slower to drop back in comparison to many other share prices, were all the buyers who got in at the likes of 700+ in Jan still holding on in disbelief or something ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Sadly, the shorts will now try to kill him.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

NIO could be another way to double your money when things settle, electric cars are going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭garrettod

Sadly, the shorts will now try to kill him.:(

If that's wrong, and you believe in Tesla, why not buy in to try and counteract those shorting the share?

I think its a case of buying into the vision, that Tesla may become a masive worldwide producer of great electric cars. If it succeeds, then your investment becomes very valuable.

Obviously not one for widows and orphans, but I like the concept and think demand for electric cars will continue to increase, so am retaining my modest investment for the long term. Depending on how the price goes, I may even buy a little more of the stock.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

Tesla will most likely get absolutely hammered by the upcoming recession/depression. We can expect oil prices to stay below $30 for quite some time which will also be hugely detrimental to the electric car industry.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

el diablo wrote: »
    We can expect oil prices to stay below $30 for quite some time which will also be hugely detrimental to the electric car industry.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Bought in yesterday. Thought 11pc would be their low point yesterday. Wrong alas. 17pc down. Lost 6pc.

I'm a believer in their product, their vertical integration and the industry they have created.
    I like their move into China and feel its supported by the government there.
    Electrics are the future and Tesla is the alpha in quality in people's minds.

I think the people who buy them are less affected by this downturn as other Joe's like me.

It's both a luxury and a gas price saver. The rich tend to see things as investment focus.

The production plant shut down is bad news though..very bad.
    2500 staff allowed work.. no manufacturing though.

I think the stock price removed the crazy peak that happened. Luckily they picked up 2 billion just before this....verrryyy lucky. 2 billion cash cushion and they can always get more investment if they come out the other side of this.

17pc down in a day though.. they get killed instead of hurt on bad days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

manonboard wrote: »
    The production plant shut down is bad news though..very bad.

Its same for all manufacturers. This isnt a Tesla or even an EV thing. Look at Ford, GM etc.

On the upside, that $2B raise was indeed fortuitous for Tesla and China seems to be getting over the virus ahead of the rest of us so the China factory will likely be at full strength sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Musk is even fraudulant about ventalators.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Skelet0n

Musk is even fraudulant about ventalators.

I think Elon Musk promising ventilators and then delivering CPAP machines while continuing to call them "ventilators" is the most Elon Musk thing ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good write up on it here (FT has made all their virus coverage free):

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/01/1585782924000/Elon-Musk-promised-ventilators--These-are-BPAP-machines-/

Looks like he learned a lot of lessons from his cave submarine adventure lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bought a couple of shares yesterday 10 mins before market close. Have gone up >50 USD/share in premarket.
    Must be a good earnings announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bought a couple of shares yesterday 10 mins before market close. Have gone up >50 USD/share in premarket.
    Must be a good earnings announcement!

Dropped back across the day. I'll see if it tests 360 again before jumping back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

I have owned Tesla for a while and am adding on the dips. To my mind, it and Twitter are potential FAANGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Sabre Man wrote: »

Profit is thanks to the carbon credits but that's going to an ever growing revenue stream especially now that most ICE manufactures slow their EV programs.

That was some Q when you look at the Ford results last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

$8.5 billion in the bank at the end of Q1. At the same time the big (for now) auto companies struggle to shore up their balance sheets.
    And they thought Tesla was the one that would go bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭positron

Great result for Tesla.

I am (still) in figuring out mode, and I have three (!!) Tesla shares that I picked up at around $514. Yesterday morning, without knowing anything about Tesla results, I had created a sell limit (?) order on deGiro to sell them all if the price reaches $900. Right now it appears to be hovering around 870-880 mark, according to Google.

Anyone else selling at $900?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I sold at 890 and 920 at the top of the last peak.

• Advertisement

Staying around 850 at the moment, I guess I was being too greedy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you're short Tesla you'll like Bob's summary! 45mins onwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

KCross wrote: »
    If you're short Tesla you'll like Bob's summary! 45mins onwards...

All been said before, next quarter earnings will tank for certain most likely with a corresponding drop in share price. They do have both a lot of cash on hand and a burgeoning order book.

Not so certain on them not having the tech advantage, this has been seen with the range of the more expensive Porsche Tacan, they also have the supercharger network. Autopilot works pretty well also, can’t comment on FSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Trading over $1,000 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

fricatus wrote: »
    Trading over $1,000 now

The entire stock market makes no sense right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

The entire stock market makes no sense right now.

The money printer goes brrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

>Lithium

No.

It's cobalt that is scarce, not lithium.

We reached the limit of what's physically possible with battery technology. It's all downhill from here.

There will be lots of cheap oil so ICEs are not going anywhere. There will always be hipsters who prefer to drive a forklift but for the majority of people it's not worth the expense.

It might be mandated by frau Merkel that all densely populated areas only allow battery cars like in China - that's when there would be some merit in this electric revolution nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

>Lithium

No.

It's cobalt that is scarce, not lithium.

We reached the limit of what's physically possible with battery technology. It's all downhill from here.

There will be lots of cheap oil so ICEs are not going anywhere. There will always be hipsters who prefer to drive a forklift but for the majority of people it's not worth the expense.

It might be mandated by frau Merkel that all densely populated areas only allow battery cars like in China - that's when there would be some merit in this electric revolution nonsense.

Cobalt is actually being moved out of the battery chemical make up slowly but surely. I've been an investor in cobalt for four years now and it is as you state the scarcest material involved in the process but by the looks of it Tesla will have found a way to fully remove it by the next two years.

There's also the extreme social issues caused by cobalt mining in the Congo (I myself am invested in the Australian market)

Unreal. I sold my paltry 3 shares yesterday.

However I can't see why Tesla won't go up further. They have plenty of orders to full fill, a lot of innovation, massive amount of hype with SpaceX and everything else that they are associated with, and the competition is no where near catching up with them. I hope TSLA falls back to 7-800 range temporarily so that I can buy a few. I feel it will go 2k+ in a year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I feel like the Tesla is the current buy and hold long term stock. It's going to be an Amazon/Microsoft/Apple type of company. I have faith in Elon. The only thing is I feel like there will be plenty of times where it will suddenly drop as Elon will say something stupid.

If I wasn't saving for an apartment I'd put 5-10K in and let it sit.

Advertisement