Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Still smokefree but ffs the cough is getting worse. Coughing up a lung sometimes. And the congestion - completely bunged up. I know it will pass but it's a pain.

Nearly kicked my chewing gum habit - on the Extra Ice mints now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Macros42 wrote: »
    Still smokefree but ffs the cough is getting worse. Coughing up a lung sometimes.

I completly hear ya! Its awful annoying! Mine isnt realy bad - its more of a tickle but that can be annoying also - esp at night time. Im still getting through copious amounts of chewing gum but in time i will cut down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Still smokefree but ffs the cough is getting worse. Coughing up a lung sometimes. And the congestion - completely bunged up. I know it will pass but it's a pain.

Me too! I was wondering was I getting swine flu yesterday with the throat and the cough and the bunged up head.

But I was much better today! :)

This will all pass I guess

Cravings are back. While sitting watching Lost tonight I wanted a smoke - but I'm blaming JJ one that one. If he'd actually explain what the hell is going on I'd be happy :D

Seriously tho - been getting cravings all day today. Not strong ones but regular ones. It's like that dark wolf is trying to wear me down. Still not feeding that bastard!

Mods - delete if deemed inappropriate - it'll be in my .sig later anyway :)

I've mentioned that I'm on a whole jogging buzz and getting mad on endorphins instead of Nick O'Teen. Well one of the events I've signed up for is the Great Ireland Run in April. It's an event that is linked to charity sponsorships. Not one to waste an opportunity I've set up a donations page in aid of the Marie Keating Foundation.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mac_10k/

Basically it means that a former 40-a-day smoker is committing to running 10K in April for a cancer charity. And now I'm attempting to guilt smokers and former smokers and current smokers who want to be former smokers into donating. Call me a chugger if you will :D

Seriously though - any donations welcome and appreciated.

http://www.mycharity.ie/event/mac_10k/

This is the first forum I've mentioned this - and I won't be mentioning it again here (I'll be putting it in my sig but not posting about it). So thanks in advance to anyone who makes a donation.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I did not break on the smoking thing determined to stick with it. I am having far worse issues at the moment with my nerves and I am blameing smoking as this has never happened before. I am paranoid about everyone, I have moments where I will not walk to the shop as I am too paranoid. It came on in the past two week and has been getting worse. I presume its just a symptom of giving up but I've never had it before. Anyone else have anything similar?

I don't want a smoke any more but if this thing does not pass soon I am just going to smoke to get things back to normal. I am thinking of going to the doc on monday, what do ye think?

TomTom wrote: »
    I did not break on the smoking thing determined to stick with it. I am having far worse issues at the moment with my nerves and I am blameing smoking as this has never happened before. I am paranoid about everyone, I have moments where I will not walk to the shop as I am too paranoid. It came on in the past two week and has been getting worse. I presume its just a symptom of giving up but I've never had it before. Anyone else have anything similar?

I don't want a smoke any more but if this thing does not pass soon I am just going to smoke to get things back to normal. I am thinking of going to the doc on monday, what do ye think?

Hi TomTom.

Firstly well done on staying off the fags, especially as you've been feeling this way.

Go to the doc. But don't smoke.

Sounds like anxiety and it probably is related to giving up smoking. I feel anxious before I go out at night when I'm drinking because I know there will be temptations all around.

However, going to the shop is something you need to do daily so you need to get over this anxiety before it eats into other aspects of your life. Perhaps you're afraid you might buy cigarettes when you get to the shop?

Anyway, I think the best thing to do would be to go to the doctor . He's probably seen this all a million times before and he'll reassure that you're doing the right thing by giving up.

Keep up the good work!

I am going to head up to the doc tomorrow. Had a few beers in the house when I got home last night and it took the edge off so I had a good nights sleep and feel a bit better this morning. It's a weird weird feeling. Everyone I see when I go out of the house I think is a scumbag and is out ot get me. Sounds crazy and probably is but I think it's definatly down to the smoking as this has only come on in the last week or two.

As the add says, look after you metal health and even though its only a side affect I think I am better off seeing my GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minnicork

I am going to head up to the doc tomorrow. Had a few beers in the house when I got home last night and it took the edge off so I had a good nights sleep and feel a bit better this morning. It's a weird weird feeling. Everyone I see when I go out of the house I think is a scumbag and is out ot get me. Sounds crazy and probably is but I think it's definatly down to the smoking as this has only come on in the last week or two.

As the add says, look after you metal health and even though its only a side affect I think I am better off seeing my GP.

Hi TomTom

I actually think tis related to disturbed sleep - I gave up Jan 4th and flying it but didn't sleep a full night til last thurs. Started feeling very weepy and anxious bout silly things. Anyway went to doc she said completely normal - to watch that I'm eating healthily and that it will sort itself soon. Driving home after doc I cried for half an hour (not at all like me). Flying it since - have slept like a baba for last 3 nights and feel like a cloud has lifted . Hope you sort it soon - please please don't smoke - this is going to be worth it:D

minnicork wrote: »
    Hi TomTom

I actually think tis related to disturbed sleep - I gave up Jan 4th and flying it but didn't sleep a full night til last thurs. Started feeling very weepy and anxious bout silly things. Anyway went to doc she said completely normal - to watch that I'm eating healthily and that it will sort itself soon. Driving home after doc I cried for half an hour (not at all like me). Flying it since - have slept like a baba for last 3 nights and feel like a cloud has lifted . Hope you sort it soon - please please don't smoke - this is going to be worth it:D

Well done Minnicork! It's funny how when doctors tell you it's totally normal to feel sh*t, that you begin to feel better again! Happened me a few weeks ago - not smoking related. I was dealing with crap in work, and didn't feel I was coping very well. My father made me go to the doc. I was mortified cos there was nothing physically wrong with me. Anyway, doctor told me, it was normal for me to be feeling this way, that I wasn't crazy or depressed. I left feeling like a huge weight had been lifted off me. Suddenly the work issues were just that - 'work' issues. Nothing to do with me personally.

TomTom hope you come out of doctors feeling this way too. I agree with Minnicork - when you're not sleeping properly it effects your mood during the day as well. You'll come through this soon.

JUST DON'T SMOKE or you'll have more to feel to crap about

• Advertisement

Right - where to start. Supporting TomTom or having a moan.

Let's start with Tomtom - stick with it dude. Your addiction is hitting you - fight it. Speak to your doc and get his advice.

Now me - all me. Remember I mentioned going on the piss in Belfast and no cravings? Then two nights ago saying the cravings are back? Well they're still here. Very much still here. Today has been a giant craving. Overnight I was awake from about 2am - tossing and turning. All day today I've wanted a smoke. This afternoon we went to the Zoo with the kids and the two hours we were there was the only time that I didn't want a smoke. But everyone other minute I wanted a smoke. Right now I'd chew off a limb for one. Why? Why now? It was all so good. I thought this **** was over.

I'm digging deep right now to avoid going to the nearest garage and buy a box of B&H - my old friend. I'm not going to do it tonight - but tomorrow is another day. I'm fairly sure this is the last gasp of a dying addiction and I want to attend the funeral. But he's a stubborn bastard. I'll just concentrate on getting through tomorrow. Every day is day one it seems.

had a great night sleep last night a feel a lot better. past few weeks involved alot of broken sleep. had a few beers last night and conked. i only woke a few times compared to being awake for hours at a time.

Tomtom well done. The anxiety would have made it so difficult to stay off them so well done on keeping it up. Just be careful you dont become too dependant on the beers to help you sleep or it may lead to a whole new addiction! you need to approach the issues that are making you feel this way.

Macros - well done on beating them damn cravings! its so annoying that u felt confident and then all of a sudden the old cravings come back. It is hard to understand why this is the case but DONT LET THEM WIN! remember how sh**e you felt when you smoked before? You wont enjoy the cigarette. It will just make u feel sick and lightheaded and it will have WON!! and the nicotene monster will literally laugh its head off at you having won the battle!!

On a personal note, I went away this weekend and my weekend included drink. Thankfully i barely thought about fags all weekend. In fact I quite pitied the fools going outside to smoke in the freezing cold and couldnt believe that i was so addicted I too inconvienced myself regularly on a night out to "enjoy" a fag. Crazy!

This cough is WRECKING my head though! when is it going to go away? and why do we need to get a bloody cough now when I never had a cough when i smoked?? annoying!

its your lungs clearing out. can last anywhere from two weeks to three months. well friend of mine it lasted three months.

cheers to all for advice and support

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

:)Hi Guys...

It's nearly 6 weeks since I gave up/broke the relationship off with Cigarettes. Take it from me... it's worse than getting back with an ex-gf or ex-bf if you go back on the smokes now... after a few weeks of freedom.

It's really hard not to fall into the same old habbits, but PLEASE....

for you and those who care for you, just stay clear of smokes as long as you can.

;)

Anyone else find the nicorette or similar advertisments give you cravings?

I'm thankfull there is no smoking advertisments but these ones talking about the cravings and beating them give me a craving that I did not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

heya Mac, did the exercise take a dip? or maybe it's just the dry out after a weekend on the sauce that has kicked up the cravings.

keep battling anyway!

Anyone else find the nicorette or similar advertisments give you cravings?
    Not me - every day I go in to Connolly Station and they're up on the giant TV - they actually make me smile. I'm on Day 41 and I didn't waste any of my money with those crutches :D
    EL_Loco wrote: »
    heya Mac, did the exercise take a dip? or maybe it's just the dry out after a weekend on the sauce that has kicked up the cravings.

keep battling anyway!

Exercise is full throttle. 3 runs a week. Started Week 4 of the program yesterday at lunchtime and actually survived it!

Jog - 3 mins
    Walk - 90 secs
    Jog - 5 mins
    Walk - 2.5 mins
    Jog - 3 mins
    Walk - 90 secs
    Jog - 5 mins

The last 5 min jog nearly killed me. But I did it.

Allegedly by the end of next week I'll be doing:

"Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then jog two miles (or 20 minutes) with no walking."

:eek:

But this program is spot on - every week is an increase in effort but manageable. This week was a serious jump - I was very surprised that I actually did it. I'd really recommend it for everyone here who's quit smoking. It's only 30 mins (including warm down) three times a week. I am really feeling the improvements in my everyday life as well as in my exercise.

[QUOTE=Macros42;
    :eek:

But this program is spot on - every week is an increase in effort but manageable. This week was a serious jump - I was very surprised that I actually did it. I'd really recommend it for everyone here who's quit smoking. It's only 30 mins (including warm down) three times a week. I am really feeling the improvements in my everyday life as well as in my exercise.[/QUOTE]

Hey Mac. I'm on Day 2 Week 2 of C25k and loving it. I read one of your posts about it the Tuesday before last, downloaded the music from podrunner on i-tunes, and just got off the couch there and then and started it! It's so manageable. Normally when I start getting back into fitness I push myself too hard and end up injuring something. C25k is great cos you really feel like yoo're working towards something and no injuries, not a twinge. Interesting to hear how you're getting on, two weeks ahead of me..the 20 min jog will be some achievement! I love the fact that it only takes 30 mins. I can fit it in any day of the week. Major plus that there has been no smoke on theses lungs for almost six weeks now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

But this program is spot on - every week is an increase in effort but manageable. This week was a serious jump - I was very surprised that I actually did it. I'd really recommend it for everyone here who's quit smoking. It's only 30 mins (including warm down) three times a week. I am really feeling the improvements in my everyday life as well as in my exercise.

What's the programme?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Took myself out for a trot last night, but it was just "ah I'll just run". I think I'll use the structures in that program, far less hit and miss than just going for it. Can't rest on your laurels as a non-smoker. Sitting around doing feck all is bad for your health too! It had been a few months since I've done much and I was hacking up crap from the depths of my lungs that hadn't seen air in ages ;)

Thanks for that Macros. I had a read over it and it looks good. I have started my own regime again and I am on week 2 of the exercise, so I dont think i will begin again with a new regime.

I think the key is definately to avoid over doing it straight off and to ease yourself into it. Think thats the key really. I am currently doing two miles, three times a week and am gradually including more jogging bursts. Its amazing how quickly the body becomes used to exercise and how much more quickly I find myself getting fitter compared to when I ran when smoking. The first day or two going were a drag! I would have used any excuse to avoid that first walk but now my body is getting used to it and I feel i really need it.

Maybe its just a new challenge or its something else to think about rather the damn smokes but it can only be good for us!! Plus the spring weather really makes me want to go!!

In relation to the coughing - im still coughing up the crap, not as much but its still there. I guess it means my poor lungs are getting healthier.
    Keep it up everyone!! We have all come so far and its such an achievement!! Feeling good ;)

Hi All,

How is everyone doing? We're all gone very quiet!?!? I'm hoping this is cos we're all doing so well and as a result we're not obsessing on those things ;) anymore??!?!?!? No real update my end - flying with the running, and tho I had a weird two weeks recently ( was in bad form and couldn't shake it) I'm over it and all is well. Hope everyone is still flying the flag - 7.5 weeks off them now and nealy have to pinch myself to remind myself its real :D. Good luck all!!!

Day 55

How's that? :)

Still going strong. Next Monday I'm quitting thinking in days - Monday 1st March is the day I start thinking in months!

All going great in Mac-land. No desire to smoke at all. Excersising regularly. On week 6 of the C25K program and it's going great. I've completely replaced my nicotine addiction with an endorphin addiction. I believe the latter is a wee bit better for me than the former - so rumour has it anyway :D

Anyone around the Kildare area - March 13th is Runamuck day. It's the final day of my 8 week Couch to 5K program - and I'm going to spend it doing a 5K obstacle course in a field of ****e - should be fun. If you're local - get your ass down there even if it's just to laugh at me cheer me on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Day 55

How's that? :)

Still going strong. Next Monday I'm quitting thinking in days - Monday 1st March is the day I start thinking in months!

All going great in Mac-land. No desire to smoke at all. Excersising regularly. On week 6 of the C25K program and it's going great. I've completely replaced my nicotine addiction with an endorphin addiction. I believe the latter is a wee bit better for me than the former - so rumour has it anyway :D

Anyone around the Kildare area - March 13th is Runamuck day. It's the final day of my 8 week Couch to 5K program - and I'm going to spend it doing a 5K obstacle course in a field of ****e - should be fun. If you're local - get your ass down there even if it's just to laugh at me cheer me on ;)
    just after reading your blog well done your 6weeks into it im 39 and 40aday habit since i was 14 and now is the time to quit for me am deffo just had enough of them and really want to quit the nasty habit.

Do it. I'm 39. I just quit a 40/day habit. If you want to you will do it. Don't tell yourself that you want to do it for your wife/girlfriend/kids/etc. Do it for you! Nobody else! You want to quit - that's all that matters. You may **** up like I did on Day 8 - if you do get right back on that horse. I haven't smoked since - I've been on a booze weekend away and still didn't smoke.

It's in yourself - if you want to you can. Just pick a day. I picked 1st Jan. You have a day coming up - try 1st March - next Monday.

And keep coming in this forum. Start your own thread even - this thread really helped me in the first month. Seriously. Without using this thread as a confession I don't know that I would have made it this far. You posting in this thread gives you an out - I don't have that luxury.

But feel free to post in this thread with your progress if you do quit - I'm not the owner of it - I'm just the OP :) Everyone in this forum will support you completely so keep us with you in your quitting support group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

patwicklow wrote: »
    just after reading your blog well done your 6weeks into it im 39 and 40aday habit since i was 14 and now is the time to quit for me am deffo just had enough of them and really want to quit the nasty habit.

Was delighted to see your post at the end of all those success stories! I just wish I was as far advanced as they are - I really envy them. I am 48 and smoke 20+ a day. Tried giving them up three years ago and last 12 weeks but was totally miserable every day - seemed like I was obsessed with smoking. Now the thoughts of giving up scares me s--tless! Plus I know my husband really wants me to quit and would be so happy if I did and I dont want to disappoint him by failing again.
    When are you going to try? Are you planning on using patches/inhaler/gum etc? Have you ever tried before?

Hi Shazanne. Read the thread a little closer - not all successes. And the forum in general - even less successes.

Screw your husband. When you've done that have a smoke. If you disappoint him while screwing him I can't help you with that :D

You don't give up to satisfy someone else. You do it for you. About 7 years ago my partner became pregnant. She quit smoking immediately. I didn't. I moved to the garden to smoke but I still smoked.

I quit 55 days ago. My twins are now 6 years old. I'd always thought I'd never let my kids see me smoke - crap - I did - and I didn't care. That's addiction in operation. Now they're telling me that they're glad my "heart is turning red again instead of black" because I don't smoke anymore :D

The point? You will not quit to avoid disappointing your husband. You will only quit if you want to. Stop thinking about disappointing your husband. Start thinking about surprising him. Say nothing and then spring it on him that you haven't smoked in a day ... 2 days ... 1 week ... etc.

Maybe even suggest that he rewards you after a month ..... the reward is up to you ;)

• Advertisement

Macro enjoy runamuck day - sounds like great craic:D.
    Shazanne and Patwicklow, I think everyone would agree we were all very nervous about quitting and I definietly had tried and failed before so don't let that put you off!!!
    My partner is still smoking so if I'm surviving anybody can do it.
    The 2 things that have helped me hugely is exercise (ask the others - its completely addictive :confused:) and also just go hour by hour - don't start thinking hmmmmmmmmm I'm ok now but what about hols/ nights out etc.
    Shazanne - I didn't tell too many people - just quietly focused on myself, as M said this has to be about you not anybody else.)

Good luck :D

Advertisement