Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its definitely a hostile junction, at a minimum they should change the light sequence to allow pedestrians cross diagonally and install red light cameras. But other than that its hard to see how to improve it in that the traffic volumes are not going to go down as its an important route to the N2 and N3. They can certainly slow traffic up but that just creates jams for even longer. Without proper reliable public transport Doyles corner is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There is diagonal crossing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

So the classic breakfast is gone I take it? :(

Yea, a lot of their older brekkie/brunch items are gone, it's more prep'd deli stuff now with one of two special dinners each day. Kinda sad. I liked the carvery and the shameless avo toast!

I think the renovation is excellent overall, but wish they'd kept some of the old items! They've big setup for wine on tap.

Looking forward to when they can have full crowds in again - it'd be nice and cosy i'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had the stuffed sweet potatoes and quinoa salad for lunch today from Moncks Green and it was really delicious. Big portions too! Which means lunch for tomorrow is sorted too :D

I did the order online and it was ready by the time I walked to collect it about 7/8 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

By the way, there’s an application notice for a cafe and a 17 new apartments block just at he barber/charity shop beside McDonalds opposite Tesco

the application notice seemed gone a couple of days ago - do you know if this has fallen through?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

the application notice seemed gone a couple of days ago - do you know if this has fallen through?

I don't think so, just the date for objections passed.
    It is reference number 3391/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

I see that Hendrons got pre-planning approval from An Bord Pleanala last week - is the next step for this to be lodged with DCC?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tropple wrote: »
    I see that Hendrons got pre-planning approval from An Bord Pleanala last week - is the next step for this to be lodged with DCC?

No, it stays ABP as its a large scale housing development. They just put the main application in

You can get that level of approval and still fail to get planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

There are some builders putting new wooden sheets over the old branding around the empty bookies on the crossroads. I asked the builder if he knew what was going in but he wasn't aware. Fingers crossed it's something new, at this stage anything* would be better, it's an eyesore and such a waste of space.

(* except for another bookies)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

There was a flour mill there many moons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Does anyone know how to or how to see if there is any plans for bins along royal canal? I can't think of any around phibsborough stretch of the canal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Waterways Ireland own the towpaths. They won't install bins as they'd have to empty them which is a huge cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

Waterways Ireland own the towpaths. They won't install bins as they'd have to empty them which is a huge cost.

So rubbish just gets dumped on the ground and into the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

My cousin's granny lived there, great location, short walk from town and we used to go to some Bohs games - this was back in the 1990s .. maybe £2 in for a schoolboy!

Nice little house too, nice and compact and cosy.
    I reckon would sell for a fortune now, location alone is priceless.

Is the demolition of Hedigans / The Brian Boru, in place of a MetroLink Station in a few years, a done deal? I heard it a while back but never from a definitive source. I can see the Architect's Impression on the MetroLink website that there is going to be 'Retained Open Cut Track' right where the pub is now, but I'm not sure if planning has been signed off.

It'd be a shame to see it gone, it's one of the best pubs in the area and has been around for generations.

deep_dish wrote: »
    There are some builders putting new wooden sheets over the old branding around the empty bookies on the crossroads. I asked the builder if he knew what was going in but he wasn't aware. Fingers crossed it's something new, at this stage anything* would be better, it's an eyesore and such a waste of space.

(* except for another bookies)

Walked past it today and they were putting in new windows, the facade has been tidied up and painted too. No idea what is going in there, but it does look promising (ie doesn't look like a bookies / takeaway)

What is going on with that plaza area at the Broadstone dit stop. Makes no sense the footpath should be out so far as to deprive the road there of a continuation of the bus lane. Also just seems to be nothing but paving there. Working on it for years and it looks nearly done and ****

Beersmith wrote: »
    What is going on with that plaza area at the Broadstone dit stop. Makes no sense the footpath should be out so far as to deprive the road there of a continuation of the bus lane. Also just seems to be nothing but paving there. Working on it for years and it looks nearly done and ****

Agreed on the footpath, makes absolutely no sense. They are taking an eternity to finish it, I think it'll look well when finished and they have all of the trees planted, and the plaza links with the East Quad a bit further down - it's a very impressive space

That's been bothering me since the Luas opened there, at the time I'd assumed they'd open at the same time I cannot understand how something like that could take as long as it has and still isn't complete. I wouldn't mind if there was some elaborate landscaping being put into place... unless there's something about to blow our minds around the corner.

It's a shambles!!! I'd some experience with hardscaping in Canada a few years back and there's no way a job would take that long..unless there's some politics / lack of planning holding it up behind the scenes!!

There has always been a few builders working there constantly it seems so yeah really weird it has took so long.

Walked past it today and they were putting in new windows, the facade has been tidied up and painted too. No idea what is going in there, but it does look promising (ie doesn't look like a bookies / takeaway)

Update: it's a new Sherry Fitzgerald office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Eh, wouldn't have been my first choice but it's better than the vacant bookies.

Better than being derelict but not much of an amenity for residents of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Looks very well, like it had always been there. We were sitting in Lorettas having dinner tonight when we realised it was new, despite having been looking at it for half an hour!
    It might have been nicer if it was another high end eatery like our choice for tonight, but on the other hand it's a further vote of confidence in the arrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Went over Broombridge earlier for the first time since it opened. It's a single lane bridge and cars are apparently only allowed over from the Cabra side towards Finglas, but there was a queue of cars waiting to come the other way. Are there no buses that use it yet, or is it just people ignoring the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

eastwest wrote: »
    It might have been nicer if it was another high end eatery like our choice for tonight,

High end Eatery !!! lol

you must have shares in that place , your always bigging it up way more than the reality of the place ! and that's from somebody who actually likes the place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

deep_dish wrote: »
    Better than being derelict but not much of an amenity for residents of the area

I do know what you mean, but people in Phibsborough do buy, sell and rent houses; so having estate agents around is useful for residents.

A non derelict building will generally improve things no matter what it is; it will create employment, both in the refurbished building, but also in other businesses around that the staff will use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Amirani wrote: »
    I do know what you mean, but people in Phibsborough do buy, sell and rent houses; so having estate agents around is useful for residents.

A non derelict building will generally improve things no matter what it is; it will create employment, both in the refurbished building, but also in other businesses around that the staff will use.

I've been involved in buying, selling, renting and never had to step into an estate agents physical premises. Thought those physical outlets would be a thing of the past. Can't imagine they are little more than a place of work for their staff and an advertising billboard for their brand. Never even heard of anyone going into them. So I'd agree it isn't really useful for anyone in the area.

I've been involved in buying, selling, renting and never had to step into an estate agents physical premises. Thought those physical outlets would be a thing of the past. Can't imagine they are little more than a place of work for their staff and an advertising billboard for their brand. Never even heard of anyone going into them. So I'd agree it isn't really useful for anyone in the area.

As someone who'd like to buy in the next year or so, I do enjoy looking at these windows and getting instantly depressed at price tags beside pictures.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    As someone who'd like to buy in the next year or so, I do enjoy looking at these windows and getting instantly depressed at price tags beside pictures.

I think most would just use Daft.ie way better than looking through windows

Advertisement