Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Am biased since in live in Phibsbourough but I think its deserved - it's come along a lot in the last 4 or 5 years. Walking past the new Bernard Shaw, with the 3FE coffee truck, pizza truck and the Eatyard - doesn't get much cooler than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

Great that that the area has received this & it can only do good for the area. However, something simply needs to be done to the dericilect bookmakers at the Doyle's Corner crossroads. Even if it isn't occupied, surely the council can put some sort of cover over it to make more aesthetically pleasing.

Has anyone heard where we're at with the Shopping Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deep_dish

I think any of these greatest neighbourhood polls are usually hyperbole at best but as far as neighbourhoods in Dublin go I can't think of a better one except for maybe Rathmines which is essentially the Southside's Phibsboro.

The great things about these areas is not just what they have in their villages or their communities, but what they have on their doorstep or access to in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah it also just goes to show how drab most areas are in Dublin though. Phibs is great because it has a few restaurants and bars and Bohemians and full of lively characters. Most of our areas are just semi-ds with no village hubs and just absolutely nothing going on.
    The sad thing is that housing is just out of most people's range in the 2 or 3 cool areas we do have, so we're stuck in drab suburbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

surely stoneybatter is better than phibsboro? I live in between both so not biased but the pubs and restaurant choice is much better imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

deep_dish wrote: »
    I think any of these greatest neighbourhood polls are usually hyperbole at best but as far as neighbourhoods in Dublin go I can't think of a better one except for maybe Rathmines which is essentially the Southside's Phibsboro.

The great things about these areas is not just what they have in their villages or their communities, but what they have on their doorstep or access to in the vicinity.

agree with most of this and I love to live in Phibsb. although Rathmines Its still a bit ahead with a cinema, swimming pool and a few more “quality” outlets imo.

By the way, there’s an application notice for a cafe and a 17 new apartments block just at he barber/charity shop beside McDonalds opposite Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭niconline76

sweetie wrote: »
    surely stoneybatter is better than phibsboro? I live in between both so not biased but the pubs and restaurant choice is much better imo!

Stoneybatter has better food options and retail but wouldn’t say Phibsboro is much behind in terms of pubs.

Just too many vacant or crappy shops in Phibsboro I think but hopefully it’ll get better on that front as in the last 5 years there was significant improvement

By the way, there’s an application notice for a cafe and a 17 new apartments block just at he barber/charity shop beside McDonalds opposite Tesco

I was walking by the other day and saw staff from Woodstock Monck's Green in that very unit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The traffic in phibsboro is cat. Its a junction of 2×4 lane roads with little provision for bus and bike and even less for pedestrians. Even though the area is car dominated there's virtually no parking, meaning almost all car trips are going through the area instead of to/from it.

A proper mobility plan is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

Yeah I think Stoneybatter just edges it but Phibs is definitely coming on. Fill the vacant spots beside McDonalds, the bookermakers and Doyles Corner and Des Kelly's old property would make the world of diffrence

• Advertisement

They've installed a huge sliding window at the front right of Monck's Green with all of the coffee making equipment at it, so it looks like they're planning on offering a lot more take-away coffees to people outside, which'll be a nice addition.

I could have sworn I read that it wouldn't reopen until next year but having had a good look inside last night it looks like it'll be ready to go in no more than 2 weeks. Although social distancing might not allow them to really reopen and make use of all of the new seating. Still, it'll be good to see them back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

deep_dish wrote: »
    They've installed a huge sliding window at the front right of Monck's Green with all of the coffee making equipment at it, so it looks like they're planning on offering a lot more take-away coffees to people outside, which'll be a nice addition.

I could have sworn I read that it wouldn't reopen until next year but having had a good look inside last night it looks like it'll be ready to go in no more than 2 weeks. Although social distancing might not allow them to really reopen and make use of all of the new seating. Still, it'll be good to see them back at it.

I noticed them training staff in there yesterday, so I assume some sort of opening is imminent?

Enjoying the Loretta’s take away menu. It had gone very expensive for brunch/lunch but there seems to be better value in the takeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Phibsborough is one of the best areas in Dublin to live. You can walk into the city centre. There's a definite sense of character and generally a good vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Phibsboro residents want council to take action and redesign 'hostile' intersection

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/phibsboro-residents-want-council-to-take-action-and-redesign-hostile-intersection-39630883.html

Article about improving Doyle's Corner for pedestrians and cyclists. Had to smile at reference about attraction of Phibsboro being it's affordable housing....please tell me where!!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Phibsboro residents want council to take action and redesign 'hostile' intersection

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/phibsboro-residents-want-council-to-take-action-and-redesign-hostile-intersection-39630883.html

Article about improving Doyle's Corner for pedestrians and cyclists. Had to smile at reference about attraction of Phibsboro being it's affordable housing....please tell me where!!

Yep, tiny house on the street my ma grew up on in Phibs going for 650k. Neither her nor I could ever afford to live there nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I noticed them training staff in there yesterday, so I assume some sort of opening is imminent?

Enjoying the Loretta’s take away menu. It had gone very expensive for brunch/lunch but there seems to be better value in the takeout.

I had the beef box a few days back, wow!
    The food there never disappoints, even in a takeaway. Glad they're surviving these strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Monck's green open now..very different vibes! Be interesting to see how it goes...hopefully they bring back the full carvery although doesn't look like the new counter space will allow for it!

Still enjoyed the coffee! Place looks great though! Hopefully it doesn't lose the charm!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

https://www.moncksgreen.ie/ is the order online working for anyone or is it an online menu that you call the number and that is how you order? Is there no real online order and is it only collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is it the same owners or has it been bought? I'm pretty sure they used to own Moloughney's in Clontarf but that's gone now too.

Yep, tiny house on the street my ma grew up on in Phibs going for 650k. Neither her nor I could ever afford to live there nowadays.

What street? I bought in Phibs a year or two back, was checking just about every house going and don't remember any tiny houses for 650k? My house was a lot cheaper than that FWIW.

Fontenoy. Actually it’s 550. Still insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A friend was looking at that house recently but pointed out that it’s listed as three bed but there’s only 2beds? Unless they’re considering having one of the reception rooms as a bedroom maybe?

I wonder if it’s listed a three beds to get more people in to look at it?

A friend was looking at that house recently but pointed out that it’s listed as three bed but there’s only 2beds? Unless they’re considering having one of the reception rooms as a bedroom maybe?

I wonder if it’s listed a three beds to get more people in to look at it?

Looks like it’s sold now. Another relative sold one on that street recently too for a nice sum. It’s a lovely street. Problem with all these cool areas close to town is that they become totally unaffordable for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

Sales seem to be flying around Phibsboro at the minute.

This is just around the corner from Fontenoy - looks like it hasn't been touched in 35 years but the asking price was 350k.

It sold within a few weeks, so must have been close enough to the asking price or maybe even higher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

dev_ire wrote: »
    https://www.moncksgreen.ie/ is the order online working for anyone or is it an online menu that you call the number and that is how you order? Is there no real online order and is it only collection?

Thats my kind of grub.Looks gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This one maybe?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/45-fontenoy-street-phibsborough-dublin-7-d07-v8f7/4448609

Not sure I'd call it tiny, and finished to a very high standard it looks like, but yeah 550k is something else. We looked at a house in that area ourselves, made what we thought was a fair offer and the estate agent basically laughed at us so that was that. It was far below the asking for that house so either prices have taken a big jump in the last 2 years or that house is particularly desirable. There are some areas like around Phibsborough like there, and Shandon where prices go quite high.

Got a takeaway brunch from Loretta's yesterday, thought it was very tasty. Really hope they get through this period, I've gone a few times and basically never seen it busy and never really got why, makes me a bit sad to be honest given the level of effort they put into the place and the food is genuinely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Got a takeaway brunch from Loretta's yesterday, thought it was very tasty. Really hope they get through this period, I've gone a few times and basically never seen it busy and never really got why, makes me a bit sad to be honest given the level of effort they put into the place and the food is genuinely good.

It's the prices. We love it as well but its more expensive than most other options in the area. Must try the takeaway brunch next wkd though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dev_ire wrote: »

So the classic breakfast is gone I take it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

So the classic breakfast is gone I take it? :(

I hope not and the carvery food was nice before, they added a "parklet" to it recently so want to have a look but seems really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

It's the prices. We love it as well but its more expensive than most other options in the area. Must try the takeaway brunch next wkd though!
    It looks expensive, but when you add it up it's just a couple of quid more than some places of a much lower standard.
    It is more in the 'treat yourself' than 'refuel' category, but the food is top notch, I've never had a bad expereicne there. Looking forward to when we can go back properly, although those dinner boxes aren't a bad alternative.
    Roll on the vaccine, or the herd immunity, or whatever gets us out of the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ongarboy wrote: »

Its definitely a hostile junction, at a minimum they should change the light sequence to allow pedestrians cross diagonally and install red light cameras. But other than that its hard to see how to improve it in that the traffic volumes are not going to go down as its an important route to the N2 and N3. They can certainly slow traffic up but that just creates jams for even longer. Without proper reliable public transport Doyles corner is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Advertisement